What happened to Ken?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Meet me outside and we'll "discuss" it.

:wink: Only joking.

Maybe... :lol:

It's a LOT better than it used to be around here. I think we've all calmed down a lot.

thediabeticswife

Patch said:
Meet me outside and we'll "discuss" it.

Bring it on :twisted: ! (You can't hit me - I wear glasses :shock: !)

Glad to hear it's calmed down - a volatile forum only worries me insofar as it's purpose can be hijacked by hostility. Speaking of hijacking - sorry for doing that to this thread - as you were...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope both Ken & Sue are fit and well where ever they are, many of us here today are where we are now thanks to the excellent advice and support they both provided over the years.

Nigel

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, many of us here today are where we are now thanks to the advice and support given by a lot of people over the years.

Depends on your perspective of 'where you are now' as to whether it was 'excellent' or not......

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
AliB said:
Yes, many of us here today are where we are now thanks to the advice and support given by a lot of people over the years.

Depends on your perspective of 'where you are now' as to whether it was 'excellent' or not......

Not sure what you are trying to say here AliB but I got lots of great advice off Sue and Ken and have not had an HbA1c out of the 5% since 3 months after diagnosis, I lost 4 stone and came off insulin and now just take metformin which I am happy to take..

So thats where I am now, where are you? I call my control excellent, what do you call it?

Sometimes if you have nothing nice to say about someone on a thread asking after their well being its better to say nothing at all......

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
sid said:
Sometimes if you have nothing nice to say about someone on a thread asking after their well being its better to say nothing at all......

But that's only applicable in certain threads, right? :roll:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
AliB said:

As the advice given to newbies written by Ken and Sue still stands today and continues to turn lives around then I would imagine that the 'we' members and Admin are of the opinion that the advice is excellent! :D

'Where are you now'..........sadly at work on my lunch! :(

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have a lot of replies from newbies to whom I have posted Ken and Sue's basic information for new members and they are always very appreciative and say how much it has helped them.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want to stir up a hornets nest - but Sue just pulled together a bunch of info that is freely available on the net, and some common personal experiences and put together a very useful post.

All it did was save noob's doing their own research. A very useful post, but c'mon - it's nothing a noob couldn't put together after a couple of weeks of research.

That post is a great starting point for noobs, but lets not pretend that it is the diabetic Bible.

C

catherinecherub

There is much more than advice for newbies that Ken and Sue created here.
They went out of their way to support members with queries on a host of subjects, not all diabetes related. If they didn't know the answer then they researched it on their person's behalf. Not everyone is good at researching. They emailed questions to food companies, meter manufacturers, found support groups for other health problems, submitted up to date relevant DVLA information, to name a few of the tasks they did.

They kept the boards tidy so that the same subject did not have half a dozen threads etc.... They monitored to the best of their ability and that is all they could do. They were inundated with p.m's that they answered, some provocative, some grateful, some totally irrelevant and they soldiered on despite continual criticism from here and afar.

I find it saddening that when someone asks about their well being, that a few posters see it as an opportunity to criticise them.

The new mods are also doing their job to the best of their ability and some of you may find that when they become more experienced, some of you will have an axe to grind with them too. :roll: :roll:

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys - Sue and Ken contributed greatly to the Diabetes Forum.

The guides compiled by these members is something that has been of great merit and has proved very, very useful to new members.

We can't discredit other members' efforts in helping to make the very scary process of diabetes diagnosis less confusing; and more welcoming.

thediabeticswife

I'm new to this forum, but would like to offer my opinion that constructive criticism should never be quashed; that is akin to censorship rather than moderation.

Saying that something is not the diabetic Bible (to quote Patch), or by putting help received here in the context of all help received is not the same as saying it's no better than toilet paper. As I said, I am new here, but it does seem that Ken and Sue (whoever, and wherever they are) are being held up as martyrs.

The information that Daisy1 posted for me in my opening post in the Greetings forum is helpful, and it is a good starting point (and obviously, I am grateful to her for providing it, and to the people who compiled it because they cared enough to do so). But that doesn't mean it is the only information that I have been given, or found for myself. I think there is nothing wrong with saying this, and that doing so does not detract from the effort that these other members have put into making life just that bit easier at this difficult time.

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ummm. I don't remember mentioning any names or referring to anyone specific, so am at a loss as to why some people automatically assumed I was 'getting' at anyone in particular.

I merely gave my observation on the comment that Nigel made. Maybe some individuals have given out a lot of good advice over the years, but sadly some have given out a lot of very bad advice too - I have been on the receiving end of that many times - and from those who are considered to be 'experts'.

Many people come to this forum because they are in a physical mess, and often because they are still deteriorating despite taking the 'excellent' advice they have been given.

At the end of the day, if people don't come here looking for a 'cure', they at least would like to know that they could either 1) reverse their condition, 2) limit it's degeneration, or 3) at least try and maintain the 'status quo'.

We are told categorically by the 'experts' that Diabetes is a 'progressive' disease. Why? Because the majority of people who become Diabetic -despite all the drugs - still continue to 'progressively' degenerate.

How many of us though, by adapting our diet have found our 'progressive' degeneration reversing? How many of us have found our 'Diabetic' neuropathy, retinopathy and other so-called 'Diabetic complications' going away. What works for us, would undoubtedly work for many others too - if they knew about it and had the opportunity to try it.

Just today, the newspapers have run a story that prescriptions have soared by 70% in the last decade. Prescriptions for T2 Diabetic medications has soared by 75% in the last 4 years!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ecade.html

The paper comments that many Doctors recognise the condition can go into remission by exercise and dieting. Unfortunately, they don't recommend the right type of diet - and support system (probably even more important) to keep the compliance going.

Diabetes, like a lot of other diseases, is increasing year on year, and becoming more prevalent in the younger generation. The less medication people need to take is not only better for them, but less of a strain on the coffers of the NHS. Some, if the Diabetes is caught early enough may even be able to come off medication altogether. Having to take medication is pretty annoying at the best of times. How many of us would rather not have to take any tablets at all if we didn't have to....?

I know so many people who are Diabetic, whose 'progressive' degeneration and extremely unstable blood sugars are controlled by the 'expert' advice they are given. When I try to tell them that lowering their carbs would reduce or even stop their hypos, lower and stabilise their blood sugar, prevent any further degeneration and make life a heap easier for them, they look at me as if I am an idiot. Diabetes is 'progressive' (what a stupid word to describe it!) - it's a FACT.

Some of these friends have lost their sight, limbs, constantly pass out from life-threatening hypos, and are generally very unwell.

I sometimes feel that I would get better results if I banged my head against a brick wall......

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
ClaireG 06 said:
Please note name calling etc will not be tolerated in anyway and is in breech of forum rules.

Can we still call a spade a spade :?: .. :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
AliB said:
Ummm. I don't remember mentioning

IF I SAY WHAT I WANT TO SAY RIGHT NOW I WILL BE BANNED FOR SURE.

Edited 6 times at least before posting :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Margi

I didn't know Ken or Sue, because I started using this forum after they disappeared, but...

How on earth did a thread expressing concern for their wellbeing turn into a debate on whether they were good people or not? From the sound of it, of course they were. Why they went is their business, but the usual reason for people giving up such a job is that it becomes life consuming and people need a break, I have no idea if that's what happened or not, but it really doesn't matter.

The original poster's question was answered. I haven't looked back for the exact words, but we were reassured that Ken and Sue are well and not to worry. So that's good.

So, hey folks, be nice. :D

Unbeliever

the usual reason for people giving up such a job is that it becomes life consuming and people need a break, I have no idea if that's what happened or not, but it really doesn't matter.

The original poster's question was answered. I haven't looked back for the exact words, but we were reassured that Ken and Sue are well and not to worry. So that's good.

So, hey folks, be nice. :D[/quote]

I believe the question was not about Ken and Sue ceasing to be moderators but about their disappearance as members. A different matter entirely.