1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reactive Hypoglycemia What happens if we leave nocturnal hypoglycemia untreated?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by ksdks95, Aug 12, 2019.

1. ksdks95

ksdks95 Reactive hypoglycemia · Newbie

A few times, I have recently had nocturnal hypoglycemia. I am afraid that one day I will not be able to react. Untreated nocturnal hypoglycemia as "standard" goes deeper?

Thanks for the answers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I don’t know but basing this on my knowledge of A&P I guess your liver will eventually dump glucose to raise levels.

• Like Like x 1
  3. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Or it will wake you up... it happened to me a few times.

#3 michita, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:05 PM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  4. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

One of the strange things about reactive hypoglycaemia, sleep is good for hypos, because during deep sleep, the body does go into reset mode, a sort of default state.
    This usually corrects the low blood sugar levels caused by episodes of insulin response to the carbs eaten.
    You will still feel horrible symptoms and your brain will usually demand craving of carbs, hunger, brain fog and so on, this is usual hypo symptoms.
    I would ask you to read the reactive hypoglycaemia forum, and how we treat the condition through dietary intake.
    Reactive Hypoglycaemia is a condition caused by food that you may be intolerant to.
    Avoidance is the best treatment.

Best wishes

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook