What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday....
B. Small porridge with cream & cranberries

S. 1 slice BURGEN toast & butter , tea

L. 2 chipolatas, tomato cooked & 2 Ryvita

S. Tea

D. King size prawns (Lidl). Salad (loads)!!! With olives & gherkins

S. Tea & 3 Rich tea biscuits, as b.s. was 4.2

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Just had 2 egg omelette with chorizo and a little bit of pecorino - breakfast heaven for me!
Going to try making a low carb pizza later, will report back on outcome (I'm a disaster in the kitchen).

Reactions: 6 people

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just michnin away on bacon and eggs with big mug of black tea. Loving it! Will report later with rest of the days wonders

Reactions: 5 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - two soft-boiled organic eggs.
Lunch - mixed salad with home-made dressing
Snack - raw organic coconut chips with Cajun seasoning and freshly ground black pepper
Dinner - wild Pacific sockeye salmon fillets with toasted cashew crust, leeks and courgettes in lemon butter sauce
Snack - half a pot of soured cream

Evian 500ml x 3, Throat coat tea x2, English Breakfast tea w/soya x3, Earl Grey tea w/soya x 1, Moroccan mint green tea x1

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

mazz33

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So far today, a meal replacement shake, because I couldn't face eating. I need to find a low carb version, any suggestions?

Mazz, the mash and pasta are high carb foods so probably won't help your sugar levels. Unfortunately porridge is another one that often seems to have this effect, even though it is often recommended as a good food. I read your other posts, and can see how all this must look like a minefield for you at the moment.
Can I make a suggestion? If you're not doing it already, get yourself a meter and self test your blood glucose levels - a cheap meter and test strips can be bought from Amazon, it's called the SD Codefree. As type 2's, we are often told there is no need to test but there really is no other way of finding out what foods affect you. There are lots of good ideas for lower carb foods here:)

I've got a meter, my diagnosing doctor was a darling and just gave it to me with two prescriptions for strips. But diabetes nurse said don't test, so I didn't. But this morning I have started testing, got 6.5 which isn't great. But I will test every day and test porridge as well when I can manage it. Thank you x

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm trying to work out the net carbs of an American raw organic meal replacement from Garden of Life.

It has a breakdown of several types of fibre. I'm unsure whether I have to add up all of them and subtract from total carbs, or not. If I do, it works out at 2g net carbs per scoop.

I figure if that's right, it would be far healthier to have a mug of that, than to have an organic stock cube, as there's really no nutrition in those.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning Chook...would you be so kind to tell me where you found the recipe for the chia seed pud? Just the link would be fine.....I've never had this pud & it sounds interesting. I'll report back once I've tried & tested!! Thanks again.

Hello, I'm not going to be much help as I haven't been keen on the recipes I've tried for chia pudding so, after experimenting, what I've come up with is 40g chia seeds plus an American cup measure of the canned coconut milk you use to make curries plus one half cup of cold water. Stir well together and then stir some more then add in sweetener of choice until it's as you like it. At that point you can add in favouring - I like vanilla, almond or rose but lots of people like to mix a little of th3 liquid with unsweetened cocoa powder or sub some of the water for good coffee or both to make mocha. It keeps in the fridge for up to five days.

As I said I love it cold but was less than impressed with it microwaved hot.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B Poached salmon with cream cheese, scrambled eggs. Forgot babyleaf spinach which needs eating :facepalm:
L (home late from allotment) Toasted linseed & almond flour bun with stilton & rocket. Forgot babyleaf spinach again :facepalm:
D One-pot Pecorino Lamb. Fragrant and fabulous. If anyone can find a recipe online it's worth posting. It's got fennel seeds, rosemary, oregano and lemon juice. I hadn't heard of pecorino cheese so I used parmesan.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
B. Burgen toast & cheese slice
L. 2 Chicken patties & coleslaw (both home made)
D Roast chicken, omelette, with leeks& onion
S. Walnuts, almonds 2 large glasses of red wine watching "Strictly"

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B Poached salmon with cream cheese, scrambled eggs. Forgot babyleaf spinach which needs eating :facepalm:
L (home late from allotment) Toasted linseed & almond flour bun with stilton & rocket. Forgot babyleaf spinach again :facepalm:
D One-pot Pecorino Lamb. Fragrant and fabulous. If anyone can find a recipe online it's worth posting. It's got fennel seeds, rosemary, oregano and lemon juice. I hadn't heard of pecorino cheese so I used parmesan.

Pecorino is more or less a cheaper version of Parmesan in regards recipes, but it is made from Sheeps milk. you can get it in Sainsbury, Tesco etc. I got a big piece in Lidl (I've Italian heritage) for under £7, personally I prefer it to Parmesan.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We (myself and daughter) made pizza using the recipe for the base we found here on the forum, with mozzarella, cream cheese and almond flour. It is an absolute winner and so easy to do, no faffing around with yeast and kneading.
Had half a one (got carried away lol) and can't get over just how great it was. We had some home made tomato sauce, mix of pecorino and Red Leicester, couple bits of chorizo, jalapeños, and basil leaves. Lush:D

Reactions: 9 people

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - eggs and bacon
Lunch - chicken mayo with radish and tomato and some iceberg lettuce on the side
Dinner- grilled pork chop with side of asparagus, sweet peppers, fried mushrooms with red onion
Snacks - cheese string and almonds

Managed 26g of carbs acroding to my fitness pal and only 1500 cal so may have some cheese before bed as I won't be going to bed any time soon :D

Is it normal to have some stomach discomfort?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B. White coffee with sweetener.
L. Slice of toasted Burgen with unsalted butter and no added sugar peanut butter, green tea with peppermint infusion.
S. Goan lamb and spinach curry, dhal and whole wholegrain rice and quinoa. Peanut butter cookie and double cream. 2 squares of 70% cocoa raspberry dark chocolate.

After 9pm, Australian Merlot, and two babybels.

Reactions: 3 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I rarely eat anything in the morning, except maybe when I'm on holiday. Just don't feel like eating before midday usually.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quick question if I may.
I have this blackcurrant squash you mix with water. I usually would drink two to three pint glasses a day. According to label it's >0.1g of carbs per 100mls or >0.5g of carbs per 250ml.
Is it OK to have it? How many mls in typical pint glass?

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quick question if I may.
I have this blackcurrant squash you mix with water. I usually would drink two to three pint glasses a day. According to label it's >0.1g of carbs per 100mls or >0.5g of carbs per 250ml.
Is it OK to have it? How many mls in typical pint glass?

OK 474ml? Let's say 500mls so a 1g carbs per one drink so 3g carbs extra a day. Not bad. I may cut down in them, I use them as sweet substitute as they r rather tasty

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I'm not going to be much help as I haven't been keen on the recipes I've tried for chia pudding so, after experimenting, what I've come up with is 40g chia seeds plus an American cup measure of the canned coconut milk you use to make curries plus one half cup of cold water. Stir well together and then stir some more then add in sweetener of choice until it's as you like it. At that point you can add in favouring - I like vanilla, almond or rose but lots of people like to mix a little of th3 liquid with unsweetened cocoa powder or sub some of the water for good coffee or both to make mocha. It keeps in the fridge for up to five days.

As I said I love it cold but was less than impressed with it microwaved hot.
Thanks ever so, I'd no idea at all. This sounds interesting..I presume the chia soaks up all the liquid & it's like a crunchy coconut creamy blanc mange? I'll let you know what I think when I make it. Got supply of chia being delivered next week. Ordered it online. Thanks again