What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
So much for 800 calories.... oops! I did fine until I got home from work last night at 10.30. I was REALLY hungry which is something that doesn't normally happen to me on low carb. So I split and toasted Lidl protein roll and ate it with some LC lemon curd. :(:confused: What is odd is that this is the first time I've had a late evening snack in ages AND its the first good night's sleep I've had in ages. I hope there isn't a connection.

So, today I'm back to 'eating clean' as my daughter says:

Breakfast: Coffee 'n' cream with teaspoon hazelnut sugar free syrup.

Lunch: Couple of high % meat sausages, roast cauliflower, steamed broccoli and gravy.

Work meal: Don't know yet - probably Lidl protein roll with cream cheese and a bit of salad.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So much for 800 calories.... oops! I did fine until I got home from work last night at 10.30. I was REALLY hungry which is something that doesn't normally happen to me on low carb. So I split and toasted Lidl protein roll and ate it with some LC lemon curd. :(:confused: What is odd is that this is the first time I've had a late evening snack in ages AND its the first good night's sleep I've had in ages. I hope there isn't a connection.

So, today I'm back to 'eating clean' as my daughter says:

Breakfast: Coffee 'n' cream with teaspoon hazelnut sugar free syrup.

Lunch: Couple of high % meat sausages, roast cauliflower, steamed broccoli and gravy.

Work meal: Don't know yet - probably Lidl protein roll with cream cheese and a bit of salad.

If you really believe it improved your sleep, or want to investigate it further, you could try using something measured later in the evening to have a standardised test. If you're trying to watch calories at the same time and don't want to push them up too much, you could try something like a mini baby bell cheese? They'd be a definite portion size, not too strongly flavoured and only 70 calories. That wouldn't shunt your bloods up much, if at all, and be longer lasting in your system.

Some folks have found a small snack near bedtime helps a little with DP. I don't know if you suffer with that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is also a fairly well documented (on keto boards) phenomenon about how being keto affects sleep. Have a google on keto and insomnia.

Various options - small amount of carbs before sleep => soporific, or more carbs with dinner => same effect. Or there is (my pet) theory that being keto actually lets you sleep less, because you don't have to heal all the sluggish drugged carb effect on a daily basis.

I guess it all comes down to whether your sleeplessness is making you feel sleep deprived?

Reactions: 6 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well, I won't be snacking so late again! My fasting bg is usually around 5.0 to 5.5 and this morning it was 6.6. Then (normally) 2 hrs after my coffee'n'cream breakfast my bg stays the same or goes down a bit but today it went up to 7.0! :eek: I haven't had a test result in the 7s for months!!

Some folks have found a small snack near bedtime helps a little with DP. I don't know if you suffer with that.

@AndBreathe Yes, I do suffer with DP but normally the coffee 'n' cream is enough to control it, if I drink it early enough.

There is also a fairly well documented (on keto boards) phenomenon about how being keto affects sleep. Have a google on keto and insomnia.

Various options - small amount of carbs before sleep => soporific, or more carbs with dinner => same effect. Or there is (my pet) theory that being keto actually lets you sleep less, because you don't have to heal all the sluggish drugged carb effect on a daily basis.

I guess it all comes down to whether your sleeplessness is making you feel sleep deprived?

@Brunneria Interesting about being keto affecting sleep - normally I am in the keto range and I haven't slept more than 5-6 hours for months whereas before LCMF I was a 8-9 (sometimes 10) hours a night girl. I don't feel sleep deprived precisely - I don't feel tired - its just that I used to like sleeping lots. Much the same way that I used to like almond croissants - nice but not essential now.

I think that if I want to reduce calories to get rid of this visceral fat I should do it a little at a time rather than dropping them so abruptly. That way (hopefully) I won't feel so hungry and won't snack so late. I also think I need to change my meal times which is difficult considering my job requires that I sit down and have a meal at 5 to 5.30 each evening. :confused: I'll have to think about the logistics of this a bit more....o_O

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I won't be snacking so late again! My fasting bg is usually around 5.0 to 5.5 and this morning it was 6.6. Then (normally) 2 hrs after my coffee'n'cream breakfast my bg stays the same or goes down a bit but today it went up to 7.0! :eek: I haven't had a test result in the 7s for months!!

@AndBreathe Yes, I do suffer with DP but normally the coffee 'n' cream is enough to control it, if I drink it early enough.

@Brunneria Interesting about being keto affecting sleep - normally I am in the keto range and I haven't slept more than 5-6 hours for months whereas before LCMF I was a 8-9 (sometimes 10) hours a night girl. I don't feel sleep deprived precisely - I don't feel tired - its just that I used to like sleeping lots. Much the same way that I used to like almond croissants - nice but not essential now.

I think that if I want to reduce calories to get rid of this visceral fat I should do it a little at a time rather than dropping them so abruptly. That way (hopefully) I won't feel so hungry and won't snack so late. I also think I need to change my meal times which is difficult considering my job requires that I sit down and have a meal at 5 to 5.30 each evening. :confused: I'll have to think about the logistics of this a bit more....o_O

I think many people find they sleep a bit less of lower carb, as higher sugars can lead to fatigue which is not necessarily tiredness, if you understand the difference I'm trying to express.

D

Deleted member 43917

B - in a rush so 4 dried apricots, peanut butter
S - one rich tea biscuit
L - mozzarella with tomato, onion, lettuce & dried mixed herbs, walnuts, 1/2 an orange
D - steamed broccoli, green beans & tomato, macadamia nuts, sussex marble cheese

Last edited:

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: full fat yogurt and flax seeds with cinnamon
L: cucumber, olives, cheese - my usual packed lunch for work
D: omelette with cauliflower and broccoli

Reactions: 4 people

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
This eveving had another small squash with rice and a small piece of salmon and advocado with dressing whole grain mustard and seasoning. But now I have nausea. I cannot test my doctor won't give me any tester strips now as he says i dont need to test hmmm.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: cold roast chicken, rocket, coleslaw
D: curried meatballs, coconut flour flatbread; peanut butter mug cake, double cream

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream, 1 egg and LC toast with butter

L: coffee n cream, ham, chicken thigh, LC cheesecake

D: steak and eggs, roadted broccoli and cauliflour, pepsi max

S: LC toast with butter

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Yoghurt with blueberries
L: Crackers and dip
D: cauli and broccoli with cheese sauce.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@LinsT buggar bowt the cheese, theres nothing worse than looking forward to something then you cant have it :( Well done with the HbA1c though :)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
B - nothing
L - Turkey salad with cheese & mayo, plus side order of meatballs & cheese
D - Home made cheeseburger (no bun, natch)
S - coffee & cream, peperami

Regarding the conversation about sleep, I find I don't need as much as I used to before going LCHF. 7 hours and I'm good to go. It really needed to be 8 or 9 before.

Reactions: 6 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Yesterday
B - Tinned Sardines in olive oil (FB 4.6 mmol)
L - Chicken strips and raw cabbage (4.3 mmol)
D - Chicken and boiled cabbage mexican style (4.9 mmol)
S- 3 medium muffins, 5 kinder country bars , 500 g of potted chilled custard (VLA)
Today
Fasting BS AM 4.5 mmol
B - Tinned Sardines in olive oil
L- Chicken strips and raw cabbage ................ etc etc etc

D

Deleted member 43917

B - guacamole & celery stick
S - walnuts
L - roast chicken, sweet potato, tomato & cucumber
S - one Thorntons chocolate
D - spicy tomato mackerel fillets with lettuce & tomato, wholemilk yogurt with a little cocoa powder stirred in, walnuts & 1/2 a banana

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
This morning I had orange half banana few mixed nuts hot water with lime.

Lunch time small neck of lamb stew three small dumplings no idea what if any other glour to use.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: 2 cold sausages, rocket, coleslaw
D: Lidl protein roll with tuna and cheese. Was intending to have avocado with it but can only assume it rolled out of the shopping bag into the boot and, as I was already in my pyjamas, I wasn't about to go out and look for it! Breadless pudding with blueberries. May manage to squeeze in a coffeencream and a square of choc before eating cut off time!