What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Winnie-the-Pooh

I'm a historian. Do it, leave evidence and I'll tell you the causes, impact and how Cleopatra's nose was involved. Then a revisionist historian writes a book saying no such meal ever took place:angelic:

Hehe. I love history . It says a lot about the future and about humans , in general .

Charming BF enjoys it too and he has learnt lots of stuff about history of maths to impress me .

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hehe. I love history . It says a lot about the future and about humans , in general .

Charming BF enjoys it too and he has learnt lots of stuff about history of maths to impress me .
That Ice Cream looks interesting but how big is a serving for 1 gm net carbs? Are you in the US? Anyone know if this available in the uk? I have tasted most UK versions - singularly unimpressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That Ice Cream looks interesting but how big is a serving for 1 gm net carbs. Are you in the US? Anyone know if this available in the uk? I have tasted most UK versions - singularly unimpressed.
I have asked this question about a week ago on here and @maglil advised there is a cappucino one in Lidl though not as low carb as this one. The best coffee i e cream I’ e ever had is in Ronda in the square near the Bullfighting museum had a small tub last year and the previous one. No testing, no guilt! Maybe the Oppo folk will develop one.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have asked this question about a week ago on here and @maglil advised there is a cappucino one in Lidl though not as low carb as this one. The best coffee i e cream I’ e ever had is in Ronda in the square near the Bullfighting museum had a small tub last year and the previous one. No testing, no guilt! Maybe the Oppo folk will develop one.
Thanks. More the brands than the flavour really. Oppo etc have a revolting aftertaste for me. Good job we all have such different tastes.

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Hi everyone I haven't been on for awhile as not been doing well health wise. No matter what I eat is making me unwell my UC is now taken priority at the moment although my BSL hasn't been that bad I've been eating LCHF as best I can except for tonight I'm eating low residue diet see if that helps my UC except I know its not gonna help my BSL. Just throught let you know what's been going on hope everyone is doing ok.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I haven't been on for awhile as not been doing well health wise. No matter what I eat is making me unwell my UC is now taken priority at the moment although my BSL hasn't been that bad I've been eating LCHF as best I can except for tonight I'm eating low residue diet see if that helps my UC except I know its not gonna help my BSL. Just throught let you know what's been going on hope everyone is doing ok.

So sorry to hear that you're not doing so well at the moment with your UC. Obviously, it has to take priority over everything else. I do hope it settles down soon and you will feel much better.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
2 eggs scrambled with a little grated cheddar (about 1/2 oz rubbish Co-op cheddar only fit for grating and cooking, and even then not up to much but it's there and must be used) at about 10.30.

I'm going to try to make that green gloop to see if it keeps the BG at a reasonable level if I have 2 other meals today.

For dinner I have a chicken breast and was toying with the idea of chicken kiev - without the coating, of course, but that would be pretty calorific so I'm not sure.

Also toying with the idea of tartiflette - obviously have high calories on the brain right now. Neither of those will do so it'll probably just be fried chicken with some broccolli. But, while I'm thinking about it, since I can't get reblochon here, does anyone think something like Port Salut would do the job? I have some of that. I might try and make it with celeriac instead of potato. Feeling a bit inventive right now.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That Ice Cream looks interesting but how big is a serving for 1 gm net carbs. Are you in the US? Anyone know if this available in the uk? I have tasted most UK versions - singularly unimpressed.
The Lidl one we have up here is Grahams Goodness. Espresso Caramel. It's started to drift into the local Tescos as well. The one thing I didn't know was whether it was just local stores as Grahams is a Scottish business but it may be something to watch out for.
The one @Winnie-the-Pooh gets is US based and not in the UK (dare I say yet?). Halo Top is a US based business but they made it over here. I was very fond of Halo Top until they changed their recipe increasing the carb count.

Reactions: Winnie-the-Pooh

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 eggs scrambled with a little grated cheddar (about 1/2 oz rubbish Co-op cheddar only fit for grating and cooking, and even then not up to much but it's there and must be used) at about 10.30.

I'm going to try to make that green gloop to see if it keeps the BG at a reasonable level if I have 2 other meals today.

For dinner I have a chicken breast and was toying with the idea of chicken kiev - without the coating, of course, but that would be pretty calorific so I'm not sure.

Also toying with the idea of tartiflette - obviously have high calories on the brain right now. Neither of those will do so it'll probably just be fried chicken with some broccolli. But, while I'm thinking about it, since I can't get reblochon here, does anyone think something like Port Salut would do the job? I have some of that. I might try and make it with celeriac instead of potato. Feeling a bit inventive right now.
You want a cheese that melts well and Port Salut I don't know as I like eating it too much. My favourite melting cheeses are gruyere, brie would work, taleggio (if you can get it), fontina and I suspect Bel Paese would work. Mozzarella obviously melts but it doesn't have the strength of flavour.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Pot is on low fire on the stove for now, waiting for me to finish a mild hypo break and a cuppa. In the pot are the browned pieces of oxtail, 4 onions, a whole garlic, chopped, a red pepper, fried mushrooms with a drop of Thai fish sauce to enhance flavour, half a leftover bell pepper, half a bottle of red, water, 2 veggie stock cubes, fresh grated ginger, fresh grated turmeric (never used that before, but they sold it at Lidl so I had to try. I have bright yellow fingers now :p ), 2 small leeks and some concentrated tomato paste.

After coffee I want to add carrots, celeriac, a fennel, fresh thyme and rosemary and a couple of bay leaves. But I'll have to make choices because the pot is almost full.

I'll move the pot to the bathroom on my lamp-oil powered slow cook thing to prevent kittens from throwing everything over, and then I will wait :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.7 FBG 6.1. Still with the deep dive and getting an increase in BGs in the mornings due to no breakfast but not too bad. It only got to 7.2 this morning before it turned to descent. After a cold but pleasant day yesterday, we've returned to cold and miserable. DIL had to get to work early so early pick up for the boys. They took a bit of persuading to stay in the car 10 mins until children started to arrive at school.
B. Just TAG
L. The remains of the DD roasted salmon & avocado salsa thingy I had for dinner yesterday. Got to say the salsa is even better second day after the lime has had time to permeate the mix.
D. Is chicken cordon bleu.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-cordon-bleu

Not sure what to have with it. It will either be a side salad or wilted spinach.

@Annb - I do a low carb "crumb" with a mix of Almond flour, golden milled flax seed, parmesan, sesame seeds and seasoning. Not easy if you don't have the ingredients I know. An alternative is to wrap the stuffed chicken breast in Parma ham or roll out bacon with a rolling pin and use that to wrap the chicken breast. @annabell1 - I do hope you feel better soon. As @Annb said, you health has to be the priority.
DD-472-cordonbleu2.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You want a cheese that melts well and Port Salut I don't know as I like eating it too much. My favourite melting cheeses are gruyere, brie would work, taleggio (if you can get it), fontina and I suspect Bel Paese would work. Mozzarella obviously melts but it doesn't have the strength of flavour.

I haven't eaten Bel Paese for nearly 50 years. The first time I had it (and the last - 2 occasions) it made me very ill. I haven't looked for it in the shops here. Maybe I should try it again if I can get it. I know I can't get taleggio or fontina and I've tried the gruyere that I can get - tasteless, as are the emmental and the mozzarella. Actually, there just isn't a good cheese supplier here at all, now that I think of it. I do have some Somerset brie, but I felt that was a bit too soft and that's why I thought of the Port Salut. Maybe I'll just give it a go and see what happens. Or maybe I should just try Dairylea! I've tried to source some better cheeses online, but the sites I can find are all charging ridiculous prices so I gave up on that. As I've mentioned before, even the locally available cheddar is pretty poor - and the Co-op product is also very variable.

Anyhow - I made my green gloop - altered the recipe, of course, because I don't like either Kale or Rocket, so used spinach and watercress instead. It needed a bit more lemon juice to make it palatable but it turned out fine. I'll be having more of it - just small glasses of it at a time, I think.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Lidl one we have up here is Grahams Goodness. Espresso Caramel. It's started to drift into the local Tescos as well. The one thing I didn't know was whether it was just local stores as Grahams is a Scottish business but it may be something to watch out for.
The one @Winnie-the-Pooh gets is US based and not in the UK (dare I say yet?). Halo Top is a US based business but they made it over here. I was very fond of Halo Top until they changed their recipe increasing the carb count.
We did buy some from Lidl. I liked it about as much as an ****nal win but thanks.

Winnie-the-Pooh

That Ice Cream looks interesting but how big is a serving for 1 gm net carbs? Are you in the US? Anyone know if this available in the uk? I have tasted most UK versions - singularly unimpressed.

Yes , I’m in the US. I buy it from Sprouts. It is very yummy . It tastes like normal ice cream . But I don’t think they sell it in the U.K.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bed 6.7 FBG 6.1. Still with the deep dive and getting an increase in BGs in the mornings due to no breakfast but not too bad. It only got to 7.2 this morning before it turned to descent. After a cold but pleasant day yesterday, we've returned to cold and miserable. DIL had to get to work early so early pick up for the boys. They took a bit of persuading to stay in the car 10 mins until children started to arrive at school.
B. Just TAG
L. The remains of the DD roasted salmon & avocado salsa thingy I had for dinner yesterday. Got to say the salsa is even better second day after the lime has had time to permeate the mix.
D. Is chicken cordon bleu.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-cordon-bleu

Not sure what to have with it. It will either be a side salad or wilted spinach.

@Annb - I do a low carb "crumb" with a mix of Almond flour, golden milled flax seed, parmesan, sesame seeds and seasoning. Not easy if you don't have the ingredients I know. An alternative is to wrap the stuffed chicken breast in Parma ham or roll out bacon with a rolling pin and use that to wrap the chicken breast.

I also do a low carb coating of coconut flour, ground hazelnuts, paprika, seasoning and grated parmesan. It's quite good but a bit of a faff and I don't feel that it stores very well if I make a largish quantity. Maybe if I could source ready ground hazelnuts and ready grated parmesan I would do it more often. I never buy any sesame product because DIL is severely allergic to it (anaphylactic response) so I don't even have it in the house, to avoid accidents, and I don't use almonds because my system won't tolerate them. But your recipe sounds good. I did get some golden flax seeds last time on the mainland and then I didn't use them and I felt they were too old to use at all so they went out. Hens enjoyed them.

I think I'll probably use foil to wrap the chicken breast and fill it with garlic and maybe soft cheese (tiny bit of brie maybe?) and have it with steamed broccolli and maybe the cream and cheese sauce left over from a day or so back, but that will put the calories up, which I am trying to avoid.