What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, cheese omelette, mushrooms, tomatoes, for breakfast.
Lunch was prawn and crab salad low carb wraps, half a small mandarin that are now back in season, as are all of the other citrus fruit.
Grilled. fish fillet, green veggies, buttered mushroom sauce.

Staring to feel a bit more alert after the transfusions etc, I managed to stay awake through a Netflix movie where I normally doze, off It was nice change not to have to rewind to find the bit I last remembered watching, I hope it lasts for a while.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: early because my cleaner was to be here by 10 am, she didn't arrive until 11.30 as it happened but by then I had had my breakfast of 2 GF crackers with ham and a slice of cheese. then, since she hadn't arrived and I was still hungry, another of the same. Total carbs about 23 g. BG rose to 16.0 after 2 hours and then dropped to around 13.5 for most of the rest of today. Finally on its way down now (9.6 a few minutes ago). The spike was quite a surprise, and a disappointment.

Have to say, though, that BG was fairly high all night. Got up at 3.45 am after waking several times between 12.30 and then and BG was high all the time.

2nd meal: about 6 pm - bacon and egg - dry fried. No fruit or veg today - probably should have had some, but I didn't feel like it.

Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That ham hock looks fabulous! Must see if I can get hold of one next shopping day.
That was from the store where we shop online, so the picker / shopper did a good job on that one. Las time we got two smaller hocks from the fore quarters. which went into pea and ham soup as well.

Our butcher smokes his own bacon, and it isa fight to get them there, nearly have to put your name on a list to get a couple. Does some nice bacon bones reasonably cheap as well.

Here's a pix of the bones he sells, bit on meat on them, but plenty of flavour for the soup.

197558032_1771219006399164_6643175136933648586_n.png

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That was from the store where we shop online, so the picker / shopper did a good job on that one. Las time we got two smaller hocks from the fore quarters. which went into pea and ham soup as well.

Our butcher smokes his own bacon, and it isa fight to get them there, nearly have to put your name on a list to get a couple. Does some nice bacon bones reasonably cheap as well.

Here's a pix of the bones he sells, bit on meat on them, but plenty of flavour for the soup.
That lot would make a fine few pans of soup! Jealous!:grumpy:

Reactions: DJC3

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only eat breakfast on the weekends, tend to just do lunch & dinner during the week, IF by chance.
Breakfast: Bacon & egg toastie with coffee, 35g carbs.
Lunch: Toasted special with crisps, 42g carbs
Dinner: Prawn salad with feta cheese, cashews & crackers, 35g carbs
Football & Netflix: 2 cans of Guinness, 2 glasses of red wine, 36g carbs

Haven't tested today as I've been DIYing all day long & I know from my CGM that none of the above with manual labour will have me any higher than mid 6s.
Moderate exercise takes a steam roller to my spikes.

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Posting late due to seven hour round trip, including lunch stop and a long nostalgic walk around Cardiff, to pick daughter and all her stuff up from Uni for the last time! Got home to Wifi not working! Eventually out of shear frustration I turned the router off and on again and hey presto it’s working now!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Lunch out: burger with bacon, cheese and a side salad (left the bun)
Mid afternoon: coconut cappuccino and phd bar in the park.
Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF cherry jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
If we have leftovers they are usually eaten next day reheated out of the fridge, or frozen for later on.

We try not to waste food by throwing it in the garbage, we have "dump chook" visitors every day that scrounge a feed so that takes care of that area if we have anything.
We have had two items go off in the fridge. Both uncooked prepacked poultry, with several days left before use by date.
This really is waste.

Jo123

We have had two items go off in the fridge. Both uncooked prepacked poultry, with several days left before use by date.
This really is waste.

@SlimLizzy that's really annoying.

Now you may well have done this, but have you checked your fridge temperature recently? Only I had this and bought a fridge thermometer and my fridge was staying around 6, rarely getting to 5, even with the fridge turned to the highest setting for maximum coldness! I bought a new neff fridge and it happily keeps under 5 on a medium setting,. No more chicken going off within the use by dates.

Reactions: DJC3

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was bad yesterday, in as much as I didn't eat at set times due to occasions.

Breakfast was a two egg omelette with two sausages, followed by a much delayed lunch of 2 sausages, some cheese, half a packet of pork scratchings and half a slice of red velvet birthday cake for one of my best friend's son's birthday.

Dinner was homemade Thai Green Curry with green beans and Eat Water Slim Rice (not much flavour in my opinion - probably won't get again) with some Bourneville.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We have a 6.5 ltr slow cooker that we can get a few meals (depends on the size of the containers on hand) out of when we cooks p + h soup and curries.

I still have my 5 litre soup pot from when I did catering (years back now). I did have 2 of them but gave one away, along with other catering equipment. But I don't make that amount of soup any more (there's only me to cater for) and use a 3 litre pan these days. If I have enough bones I do use the big pan to make stock though. (Edited to add: Mostly I use a 1 litre automatic soup pot these days - quicker and easier and uses less power.) Trouble is finding enough space in the freezer because I do tend to cook in batches these days. I really need another freezer, but can't afford one just yet. No 2nd hand ones available locally unfortunately, but I keep looking.

For some reason, I was very tired last night and went to bed early - for me - around 12.30 and slept through to 4.30 am. Took my night time pills. Then went back to sleep until 9.30. But after a cup of tea, I sat in the big kitchen chair and fell asleep again. Didn't wake until 12.30. So breakfast was at just after 1 pm. It was bacon and eggs, dry fried as usual. Trouble is, I'm still hungry and, despite the reduced time available, I might have to have 3 meals today.

BG was high all night again and didn't improve much when I took a correction dose at 9.30 so I took a slightly larger than I otherwise would before my bacon and eggs. Currently down to 9.6 - just over an hour after that.

2nd meal will definitely be the soup I made yesterday (all left-over veg).

If I have a 3rd meal, it will be a squash and cauliflower roast with some Parmesan - new and experimental idea.

Last edited:

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: coffee n cream
L: 9 bar
D: blowout meal of mince, onion bhajis, cauli cheese and green beans.

Am stuffed!

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering what exactly is a 9 bar? I tried Googling "9bar" and get some type of coffee shop.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: TooSweetForMe

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to eat at set times?

I prefer eating around certain timescales for routine, more than anything else. For someone who eats breakfast at 6.30, to eat lunch at 2 and then dinner at 6, for instance would really throw me out.

Reactions: Antje77

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here I am behind the curve again!!
Friday’s supper was griddled salmon and asparagus, very yum.
Saturday lunch was chicken salad inc small spoon cheesy coleslaw
Supper was Indian t/a of cauli bhajee & 4 Tandoori Prawns. No popadoms, bg not being good.
Today same brekkie as always, slice JiLo toast and tea.
Lunch was 2.5 scrambled eggs, half of 5 shared with Mr PM.
Supper will be stirfried beef strips marinated in garlic, ginger & chilli and thin slices of red and yellow pepper.
Tomorrow is still a mystery foodwise though I am trying to be so careful because BG has got so bad in recent weeks.

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got through with lunch:
chicken leg and thigh
.5 cup mashed potatoes
.5 cup sweet peas
1 cup watermelon cubes

Reactions: Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished eating today ( hopefully)
Brunch Of bacon and eggs.
Dinner of chicken mushroom and leek ‘pie’ with broccoli. Others had normal pastry. I tried a LoDough quiche type of thing and folded it over like a pasty at the end. The sauce in mine was made of l/f cottage cheese with a bit of grated Parmesan. It worked well and was tasty and filling but their pie made with real pastry and my usual sauce of double cream and grated cheddar looked better.
3 glasses of wine throughout. I’m cutting out drinking apart from Sunday lunch.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Trying to wean myself off various ‘forbidden’ stuff again. Finished the last of the 85% chocolate, nut butter and cream for breakfast :hilarious: then after a day shopping had a dinner of a small pack of nuts followed by mince fried with onions and 3 eggs. So much more satisfying than the ‘gunk’!

Have discovered that M&S have a new range of sparkling flavoured water with neither sugar nor sweeteners. Have tried 2 flavours, a lemon one and this one - raspberry and blackberry, which is my favourite of the two.

C5E16F5B-996B-4382-AAE1-B4A44D0EA7EF.jpeg