What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:
4 fat bombs, broth and herb teas
D: baked chicken breast, chorizo and cheese, with asparagus and broccoli.
No snacks.

Today:
Exactly the same :D plus one round of granary toast with a lot of crunchy peanut butter :D:D:D

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yesterday:
4 fat bombs, broth and herb teas
D: baked chicken breast, chorizo and cheese, with asparagus and broccoli.
No snacks.

Today:
Exactly the same :D plus one round of granary toast with a lot of crunchy peanut butter :D:D:D
Do you make your own? If so, could you point me in the direction of some recipes please? Thank you.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
B: bacon, egg and black pudding, peppermint tea
L: astonishingly good seafood platter; smoked prawns, rollmops, smoked salmon, crab pate, mackerel pate and salad
S: cream tea (cherry scone, jam and a disappointing amount of cream, peppermint tea)
D: goats cheese and olives

Good morning from Bahrain Brunneria... I can always rely on you for common-sense eating... :) My doc here says I obsess about keeping my numbers down, so I need to eat something 'nice' once in a while... You had a scone, and so shall I, but there will be plenty of cream! I am now vegetarian so it becomes more difficult to eat protein... I try to limit the amount of fish I eat because of the heavy metals, which really leaves lentils and stuff - they have to be small portions as they are sugar of course.. So:
Breakfast will be poached eggs on garlic/cream spinach and yet another coffee with cream
Lunch will be an avocado filled with crab mayonnaise salad, followed by blue and raspberries w cream and a glass of wine probably
Supper will be prawn Tom Yum soup and a chocolate fat-bomb...
Loads of water all day - of course....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good to see you @Susikav ! Hope you are well?

I ate quite a lot more carbs than usual last week (including that scone!) and my blood glucose went higher than usual nearly every day (I even hit 12mmol/l) one day, but was at 8 or 9 most days, for an hour or two. But the saving grace was that we were on our feet nearly all the time and walked so much that we actually wore the dogs out! haha!

So whenever the bg went too high, it would drop again due to the exercise. That same amount of carbs on a sedentary work day would have been a disaster. lol. Mind you, I don't think I ever went above around 120g carbs in a day (although that is a guess) so technically it was still Low Carb.

I couldn't eat like that long term - I was really feeling the drag, the tiredness and the carb cravings, but combined with the exercise, I could keep it up for 5 days. :D

There are Low Carb scone recipes out there, if you do a google search. I have tried a couple and they seemed OK, but LC is never quite the same as the real thing, is it?

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Yesterday...

Scrambled eggs with 1 rasher of bacon
low-carb whey protein shake with 3 brazil nuts
20g St Augur cheese with 8 walnut halves
Quorn chilli with 1 taco, cheese, 1 tbsp. sour cream, mountain of veg. Amazingly, bedtime BS reading 5.8 (was worried about the taco)

Drinks: tea, coffee, water

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
good to see you @Susikav ! Hope you are well?

I ate quite a lot more carbs than usual last week (including that scone!) and my blood glucose went higher than usual nearly every day (I even hit 12mmol/l) one day, but was at 8 or 9 most days, for an hour or two. But the saving grace was that we were on our feet nearly all the time and walked so much that we actually wore the dogs out! haha!

So whenever the bg went too high, it would drop again due to the exercise. That same amount of carbs on a sedentary work day would have been a disaster. lol. Mind you, I don't think I ever went above around 120g carbs in a day (although that is a guess) so technically it was still Low Carb.

I couldn't eat like that long term - I was really feeling the drag, the tiredness and the carb cravings, but combined with the exercise, I could keep it up for 5 days. :D

There are Low Carb scone recipes out there, if you do a google search. I have tried a couple and they seemed OK, but LC is never quite the same as the real thing, is it?

I am well thank you... Were you on holiday? I envy you your time with your woofers.... I've seen the recipes for 'scones' and I'll take my chances on a real one :) You're absolutely right, LC is never the same... If I'm going to be really 'naughty' I'll take triple cooked fries with mayonnaise! I'll make scones, give some to my husband and freeze the rest... that's why there'll be plenty of cream available! I had a box of figs and made jam with Stevia... it is lovely, so if I use that, instead of real jam, I should manage - with the exercise on the treadmill of course - I will really enjoy it! What do you reckon the carbs are for that? Where do you eat your wonderful breakfasts? I am a veggie of conscience, so cannot give in to my cravings, but your breakfasts make me weak :) Your dogs will soon find their energy again and run you around... I miss mine so much since he died, but cannot get any more til we retire back to the UK... next March I hope... we will have a spaniel of our own and then foster old dogs with luck...

Do you ache when your numbers go up? I get tired for sure, but I don't often let them go over 6.5... I may have come out of ketosis briefly and now I could have the 'flu' I suppose, but I've been achy for a couple of days...

I tried a small cold beer for the first time in almost three years the other day... I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it - I had seafood Thai green curry with it... afterwards, when I tested, I had 5.3... hard to believe, so I tried again another day and had 4.7.... I'd had grilled salmon and vegetables.... I thought it was a big no-no? Do you ever drink it?

I pop into the site every now and again, mostly for inspiration for food, but we've been so busy I don't have the leisure to linger like I used to... Tim was amazing when I was worried about the numb patches on my feet - Winnie was such a fount of knowledge too, and now I follow their advice, have most of the feeling back in my feet and am sooo relieved that it wasn't neuropathy... :) I love Diabetes.co.uk...

I am glad you remain well and absolutely thriving... I so admire your upbeat attitude, you always help everyone that drifts into your ken.... You rock! Take care... Susi.....

Reactions: debrasue and ellagy

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Some ham pieces and some edam cheese and a cup of tea milk and no sugar!

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Forgive me forumers, for I have sinned. Just had 3 weetabix with a sugar substitute (still carbs mind). I felt so ill when I woke this morning, now that has gone. But now I feel terrible and it's to windy to paddle today. No carbs for the rest of the day now. And tomorrow probably.

D

debrasue

Some ham pieces and some edam cheese and a cup of tea milk and no sugar!
Hi @ellagy
Just a thought, and I know it's not very nice in tea, but did you realise that cream is very low carb, whereas milk is quite high in carbs? If you drink quite a few cups of tea in a day you could be consuming quite a few hidden carbs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always have cream in tea nowadays. The trick is to use about 10% of the quantity of milk that you would have used. It looks really dark, but actually works surprisingly well. Just don't sploosh in a large quantity, cos thats horrible!

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I always have cream in tea nowadays. The trick is to use about 10% of the quantity of milk that you would have used. It looks really dark, but actually works surprisingly well. Just don't sploosh in a large quantity, cos thats horrible!
This is exactly what I do with the green/white tea that I drink - have never drunk black tea - and it works very well... cannot drink it without, even though it's the best quality and not bitter at all... Not really a tea drinker, which is probably obvious, but I drink so much coffee I have to drink something else, other than litres of water... :)
Double espresso with cream:
B: 2 lg free-range eggs with 2 tbsp Philly, mixed Italian herbs, Himalayan salt with kelp, garlic powder and black pepper, single espresso with cream
L: 1 ripe fig w soft goat's cheese and a slice of flax bread buttered, with marmite and cheddar cheese, silver-tips tea with a dash of cream
D: Home-made vegetable soup with everything I can find in the fridge cooked in it....
I am going to make Stracciatella cake with black chocolate bits and will have it warm with cream later on....
At least two litres of water during the day...

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi @ellagy
Just a thought, and I know it's not very nice in tea, but did you realise that cream is very low carb, whereas milk is quite high in carbs? If you drink quite a few cups of tea in a day you could be consuming quite a few hidden carbs.
Thank you debrasue. I have only two cups of tea with milk in a day. I have lactose free milk which is 3g per 100ml. The rest is peppermint tea... without sugar/honey. I am going to try to have coffee instead of at least one cup of tea with milk. :)

Reactions: debrasue

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I am going to make Stracciatella cake with black chocolate bits and will have it warm with cream later on....
Isn't it gorgeous Susikav!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I am fasting today 10pm to 2pm. I shall have kippers and half a roll for my lunch with a cup of coffee and cream!

The odd hours are because we eat late and I had a cup of milk at ten last night.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Ate my kipper with the half roll...and now I am ... er...enjoying the coffee and cream. Coffee is not my favourite drink... even with the cream!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B Smoked salmon & scrambled eggs on half Lidl roll toasted & buttered
L Busy cooking, so at different times... 1 raw runner bean, 2 pieces cheddar, 2 cherry tomatoes and 1 tspn peanut butter
D Spicy nut & veg loaf, with olives & tomatoes in olive oil

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
B Smoked salmon & scrambled eggs on half Lidl roll toasted & buttered
L Busy cooking, so at different times... 1 raw runner bean, 2 pieces cheddar, 2 cherry tomatoes and 1 tspn peanut butter
D Spicy nut & veg loaf, with olives & tomatoes in olive oil
Yummy!!!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Today I have had the aforementioned

Kipper and half a lidl roll.
2 coffees with cream and for my dinner I had
two sausages (gluten free) and two lettuce leaves with half a tomato followed by low sugar jelly and whipped cream.