What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: none
S: lemon mug cake - and yes, @PenfoldAPD , it is ALL YOUR FAULT!!! ;)
D: chicken breast baked with leek, bacon and cheese with baby corn, baby carrots, broccoli spears and green beans. In butter.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
S: lemon mug cake - and yes, @PenfoldAPD , it is ALL YOUR FAULT!!! ;)
D: chicken breast baked with leek, bacon and cheese with baby corn, baby carrots, broccoli spears and green beans. In butter.

I've been AWOL for a while.... have you started some kind of fasting? Not being nosey or judgemental - just curious- cos it sounds a bit like what I'm doing except I have to eat something with my meds in the morning which is why I have the half a grapefruit?? :sorry::sorry:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been AWOL for a while.... have you started some kind of fasting? Not being nosey or judgemental - just curious- cos it sounds a bit like what I'm doing except I have to eat something with my meds in the morning which is why I have the half a grapefruit?? :sorry::sorry:

:) you can be as nosey as you like. :)
Yes, I started with no breakfast, but that had no effect on weight or insulin/big levels, so I have gradually taken it further. Now skipping breakfast and lunch Mon-Fri. Sort of. I'm avoiding any strict regime because that would just make me REBEL immediately.

Was skipping B & L for a few weeks. No weight loss, which is absurd. But my insulin resistance seems to have improved, which is ace. :)

Then, just these last 3 weeks, I went strictly gluten free as well as the fasting. Strictly! Can't use half the food in my cupboards, even though it is LC and I thought would be fine, when you actually get down to it, gluten is everywhere. Anyway, now my weight seems to be shifting a tiny bit. Have to wait and see...

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was only the once! Never again. Strangely I was never a dessert person anyway. Yesterday
B: Home made yoghurt, I missed an ingredient out, was like eating a freh lemon - 'winky'
L: Bratwurst, Egg and Bacon
D: Salmon, courghetti, pak choi in soy sauce
S: Cheese and Celery

Yet FBG is higher this morning - go figure!

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was only the once! Never again. Strangely I was never a dessert person anyway. Yesterday
B: Home made yoghurt, I missed an ingredient out, was like eating a freh lemon - 'winky'
L: Bratwurst, Egg and Bacon
D: Salmon, courghetti, pak choi in soy sauce
S: Cheese and Celery

Yet FBG is higher this morning - go figure!

Often for me those carbs just hang around ...

Yesterday:

B: avocado machengo cheese and bacon
L: beef burger from local butchers topped with cheese, packet of port scratching
D: Just Cook Red Thai chicken curry http://www.cookfood.net/menu/main-meals/chicken-meals/red-thai-chicken-curry could eat this every day and only 8g of carbs per serving
S: a few (ok 7!) Peters Yard biscuits and cheese - and half a bar of Divine 85% choc, the best variety I've found

So pretty good until after dinner snacks ....

Reactions: mo53

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning!

Yesterday
B - 2 soft boiled eggs
S - Hardboiled egg, mini Babybel
L - Homemade lentil soup with grated cheese on top, 50g peanuts for pudding
S - More radishes than were sensible
D - Slowcooked beef rib & black pudding stew, caulimash, peas, SF jelly, natural yoghurt

Was absolutely stuffed after that lot... Didn't help that lunch was late and supper was very early, and that I found that pack of radishes in the fridge!

:joyful:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Then, just these last 3 weeks, I went strictly gluten free as well as the fasting.

How interesting !!! My husband has been eating a paleo diet since February which is also gluten free and he's feeling fantastic on it - he's lost a couple of stone which has just slowly melted off even though he didn't need or intend to lose it. Are you still having your Costa coffees with cream - or are you having them black? I don't find it a problem not eating B or L and I wouldn't have the grapefruit if it wasn't necessary to have something with my meds.

Anyway, today:

B: Half a red grapefruit
L: Nothing
D: Carvery meal out to celebrate husband's new job

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to give up caffeine too - way back in the early summer, I think. Can't even take the decaff ones, or it affects my sleep. Hated that. But I now drink roasted chicory with cream instead, which nearly hits the spot, and definitely helps me last til dinner. Usually two cups, one mid morning and one lunchtime. I have reduced the amount of cream though. :)

Like you, I have been astonished how easy it is to not eat. But I think the transition is much easier when I am already in ketosis (therefore no carb cravings), am busy, and have a routine.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Interesting! It sounds like you have a lot of the same problems that I do. I haven't drunk caffeinated drinks for years since I discovered they triggered migraines but I can tolerate decaff up until lunch time - but any caffeine after, lunch always affects my sleep.

I find that I don't get hungry if I don't eat at all which is why having the grapefruit for breakfast causes problems so I've more or less decided that I will to ask the Dr if I can take them in the evening instead.

Reactions: Brunneria

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berry mix with plain Greek yoghurt

L. Slice of ham with a piece of Camambert

40 minutes swimming

D. Smoked haddock with Cheese sauce and salad. Strawberries with yoghurt :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
S: small bag prok scratchings at 5pm (feeling a bit wilty and needed the strength to bring the shopping in... Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it! ;))
D: last of slow cooked pork steak and veg stew, and the other half of the lemon mug cake from yesterday.

Reactions: mo53

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Coffee with cream
L: 4 strips fried crispy streaky bacon and a fried egg
D: Smoked haddock souffle and mange tout with butter... Home made sugar free baked egg custard
Evening snack.. handful of mixed nuts

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The plan for today is:
B: Half a grapefruit
L: Nothing
D: Chicken (not sure which marinade yet) and salad

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
15/11
B: None
L: Tuna mayo salad
D: Sausage (90% meat) casserole with carrot, puy lentils, mushrooms, onion with spinach and garlic coli mash (thanks @debrasue and other for posting the mock mash recipe)
E: down the pub, 2 wines ½ coors light and a bag of peanuts

D

debrasue

Today's extravaganza will be:

B: Tomatoes on a slice of spelt toast; Greek yoghurt and mango chunks
L: Waldorf salad; baked spiced carrots with a herby lemon yoghurt dip
D: Apple hasselback pork loin, slow roasted in a cider glaze, with baked cauliflower and courgette "pizza" boats

Trying out some new LC recipes! :)

M

mist

Today's extravaganza will be:

B: Tomatoes on a slice of spelt toast; Greek yoghurt and mango chunks
L: Waldorf salad; baked spiced carrots with a herby lemon yoghurt dip
D: Apple hasselback pork loin, slow roasted in a cider glaze, with baked cauliflower and courgette "pizza" boats

Trying out some new LC recipes! :)

I'll be over around 5ish :p