What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Fasting day today so no breakfast or lunch.

Dinner was one of my favourites. Brined chicken leg with a side of cauliflower cheese and a dessert of raspberries and cream.

Off to my Dad’s for Christmas tomorrow - sent him an Ocado order so I can stick to plan as much as possible, although I’m doubtful I’ll get any fasting days in.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Todays diet has been very heavily influenced by my experiments with Chia puddings!!,,
2 portions coconut, peanut butter and banana flavouring chia pudding
1 portion coconut, passion fruit and blackcurrant chia pudding
1 low car mini pitta with peanut butter and watercress
1 unsweetened coconut and almond milk cocoa. 3 litres water

1210 cals, 31g carbs and a stonking 46g fibre!

Arlmy

B two tbs of chai with two tbs of oats in Greek yogurt with blueberries
L vegetable curry salmon
Snack soybean,papaw and Avacado smoothie
D one vegetarian sausage with stir fried broccoli,cauliflower,carrots, kidney beans and mushrooms with a slice of home made courgette and spelt bread
I’m thinking what I can have for a pudding

Reactions: ziggy_w

Arlmy

Todays diet has been very heavily influenced by my experiments with Chia puddings!!,,
2 portions coconut, peanut butter and banana flavouring chia pudding
1 portion coconut, passion fruit and blackcurrant chia pudding
1 low car mini pitta with peanut butter and watercress
1 unsweetened coconut and almond milk cocoa. 3 litres water

1210 cals, 31g carbs and a stonking 46g fibre!
They look really

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tummy bug started on Sunday, and ended Wed, so very little to eat during that time.

Yesterday
Several mugs of homemade chicken soup and 2 slices of Mr B's gf bread, with butter, nibbled v slowly. (Soup was a v small chicken, pressure cooked with 1 onion, 1 celeriac, 1 courgette and 1 pepper. Then all blended together with oregano, sage and a stock cube. Elixir of the gods.)

Today
B: none
L: chicken soup and a raspberry macaroon
D: appetite back in full force, so ordered takeaway (chicken shashlik, saag paneer and brinjal bhaji), then ate about 1/3 of each, leaving the rest for the next few meals. Unless Mr B snaffles it!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Constant catch up at this time of year.
Thursday
Bed 5.6 FBG 5.8
B.Nothing
L. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and a slice of Hovis lower carb seeded with pate pate the fruity one. 2 Walnuts.
D. Salmon fillet with a teriyaki rub , a bag of wilted spinach , 1/2 avocado and 4 cherry tomatoes. Chia Pudding (Chocolate ) with raspberries.
Was suffering quite badly with this cold on Thursday. Resorted to old fashioned remedy of Vics vapour rub. Even I could smell it. @Bluetit1802 reminded me of the old trick of rubbing it into your feet. I was coated in the stuff!
Friday
Bed 4.8 FBG 5.8
Felt a bit better but not well enough for Aqua. Suspect I would have needed oxygen.
G. Hovis lower carb seeded with lurpack, slice roast pork leg and thin slices of tomato. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Marigold Swiss bouillon
D. Tesco Finest lobster , prawn and rocket verrine? ( don't know why they call it that but it's nice)
7 pork ribs with a hot and spicy rub. Coleslaw.
Last of the chocolate chia with raspberries.
Plastered on the vic' s again!
Friday wanderings despite the cold was taking No 1 grandson to a Christmas party. He wanted me to stay for a while. Turns out there was a creature man there with animals. Glad I did there was a baby meerkat, Armidillo, smallest tortoise in the world, a 12 ft albino python (took 8 kids to hold it) and one of these Australian bearded dragon lizards that puff themselves up. Kids loved it.
Today is the annual Santa visit. No 2 is going to ask if he has been forgiven for his naughty day yesterday.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tummy bug started on Sunday, and ended Wed, so very little to eat during that time.

Yesterday
Several mugs of homemade chicken soup and 2 slices of Mr B's gf bread, with butter, nibbled v slowly. (Soup was a v small chicken, pressure cooked with 1 onion, 1 celeriac, 1 courgette and 1 pepper. Then all blended together with oregano, sage and a stock cube. Elixir of the gods.)

Today
B: none
L: chicken soup and a raspberry macaroon
D: appetite back in full force, so ordered takeaway (chicken shashlik, saag paneer and brinjal bhaji), then ate about 1/3 of each, leaving the rest for the next few meals. Unless Mr B snaffles it!
Hope you are feeling better now. Chicken soup was my grandmother's cure all.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Thursday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Three mini babybel cheeses.

Dinner: A small slice of leftover quiche (bellpepper, eggplant, zucchini, onion, tomato, feta, beef salami). A cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. Half a low-carb roll with liver pate and half a low-carb roll with goat cheese and beef salami. A slice of homemade low-carb cheese cake, a glass of dry red wine.

Reactions: Goonergal and heh

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. Some Northsea shrimps and a piece of Basque cheese.

Lunch: The last two slices of leftover quiche, a small piece of low-carb cheesecake.

Dinner: (Out to celebrate wedding anniversary at our favorite tapas place), some manchego cheese, some fried sardines, two glasses of red wine.

Late-night snack: Two small pieces of cheese cake, half a low-carb roll with goat cheese and beef salami.

@maglil55 -- hope your cold gets better soon. Colds are never fun, but having a cold when it's Xmas is a bummer.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well the cold is clearing but still got a bad cough. Will be celebrating Christmas with a black eye as well as a cough. How? I'm making that low carb black forest gateaux for Christmas and went to Lakeland to get the right cake tin. Unfortunately they were on the top shelf and 3 shot off the shelf. Caught 2 but No 3 bounced off my head. First time I've been injured by a cake tin. Different.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.2 FBG 6.6
Santa today. No 2 grandson was bending his ear about how he hadn't been very good yesterday but he'd brought him a candy cane so he would forgive him. No 1 informed him there was a Santa at his party but it wasn't the real one as he reckoned it was Mr Smith dressed up. So nice when they believe in Santa.
B. Slice Hovis lower carb seeded with lurpack and pate pate the fruity one. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. 2 slices Turkey with boiled egg, coleslaw, cucumber, beetroot and a skinny latte.
D. Odd experimental dinner. Wilted a bag of spinach with some cream, parmesan and black pepper. Mixed through some streaky fried bacon and served with a soft poached egg on top. It was a sort of spinach carbonara and was weirdly good.
Also had 2 of M&S Big Pigs in Blankets on the side.

Black cherries are soaking in kirsch and chambord for tomorrow. Not part of the recipe but it's Christmas.

Arlmy

Lunch : scrambled eggs x2 with left over steamed vegetables and a piece of courgette and spelt bread with butter plus chai pudding with raspberries and raisins
D: lentil soup, an avocado and some basmati rice
With a slice of courgette and spelt bread
I am getting sooo fed up of the veg now
I am going to try to make diabetic mince pies tom

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Lunch : scrambled eggs x2 with left over steamed vegetables and a piece of courgette and spelt bread with butter plus chai pudding with raspberries and raisins
D: lentil soup, an avocado and some basmati rice
With a slice of courgette and spelt bread
I am getting sooo fed up of the veg now
I am going to try to make diabetic mince pies tom
Good luck coming up with a low carb version of mince pies. Not found one yet that it low enough and tastes good. I just keep telling myself I wouldn't like them now anyway. One day I might convince myself

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well everyone have a wonderful Christmas tomorrow. I'm at brother and sister in law and fortunately she is used to cooking for a coeliac so knows how to adapt (although I'm doing my share). Anyway, today - bed 6.1 FBG 5.6
B. Lidl high protein roll with lurpack and 4 rashers streaky bacon and a fried egg.
Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Roast leg of lamb with 6 steamed sprouts and gravy.
No booze tonight - waiting for the call for Santa duty when the boys are asleep. Lidl had loads of high protein rolls this morning. I got 24 most of which are heading to the freezer.

I can tell you what tomorrow will be.

B. 2 gluten free sausages and a fried egg. 1/2 lidl high protein roll with lurpack. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Campari and soda and a wee prosecco (Well ok maybe not that wee)
It will be a cold starter - prawns, smoked salmon mousse , salad etc. Mushroom soup to follow. Traditional turkey , GF pigs in blankets , stuffing GF, gravy , roasted celeriac, sprouts, parsnip and I 'm taking up best ever cheesy cauliflower mash.
Dessert - I've made that low carb black forest gateaux again. I've also made Strawberry Santa's but mainly for the boys to have with their ice cream.
I suspect a Bailey's will also figure with black coffee.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/bacon-smoked-gouda-cauliflower-mash-low-carb-gluten-free/

The cauli mash is a variation on the original and very yummy. The gateaux does have a fair bit booze in it .

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2016/01/black-forest-gateau.html

I don't use icing sugar in the strawberry Santa's - I don't think it needs it. I melted dark chocolate and made a mini icing bag with greaseproof for the eyes and buttons.

https://berryworld.com/recipes/9505_strawberry-santas/

A bit more food than normal but will soon work it off again.

Merry Christmas Everyone

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may need to type in the berry world link. It doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also catching up. Amount of food up as now at my Dad’s, but staying low carb.

Saturday

Unusually hungry on train in the morning so ate 25g almonds and a pack of Awfully Posh pork crackling.
Lunch - at pub. Ribeye steak with broccoli and butter.
Dinner - 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages, 1 rashers bacon. Followed by far too much Lindt 90% chocolate.

Sunday

All that protein plus the chocolate led to FBG of 5.9 - way higher than normal. Back down to 4.8 a few minutes ago.

Breakfast - none
Lunch - roast lamb with meat juices, buttered cabbage, broccoli and sprouts followed by chocolate chia pudding with cream. 4km walk before lunch and another 4kms after washing up in anticipation of sedentary couple of days.
Dinner - cold lamb with a salad of baby leaf spinach, rocket and tomatoes with mayonnaise.

My dad gave me some 70% chocolate after dinner. I couldn’t eat it - tasted so sweet. My taste buds are really changing.

Merry Christmas to everyone for tomorrow.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Managing to stay low carb while staying with relatives, but quantities have gone up somewhat, along with FBG the past few days (5.9 on Sunday and 5.8 yesterday). Back to a respectable 5.2 today.

Yesterday’s menu was:

Breakfast - none
Lunch - roast chicken, mini sausages, bacon, brocolli and sprouts with a bit of gravy. Had one bite of stuffing but it tasted so sweet I couldn’t eat it. Followed by chocolate chia pudding with copious amounts of cream.
Dinner - cheese with a few cherry tomatoes, a bag of pork crunch and about 40g salted almonds.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. It was wonderful not having to cook dinner and my BGs held up well. Worst was 7.3 and I was 6.7 going to bed and FBG was also. 6.7. Currently sitting at 4.7. I'm a glutton for punishment though as I am currently cooking a turkey crown ( there are always bargains to be had on boxing day).
B. Lidl high protein roll with lurpack and 2 scrambled eggs with parsley. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Hubby made a pot of chicken and veg soup while I was out but may leave that until tomorrow. Will certainly have turkey, GF chipolatos, roast carrot and parsnip and wilted spinach plus a bit of my leftover low carb gateaux from yesterday.
Never did have that Bailey's yesterday so may have it tonight.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed to throw in a fasting day today to offset all the feasting.

Started with a 7km walk this morning. No breakfast or lunch. BG down to 4.1 before dinner so back on track.

Dinner was roast chicken with cauliflower cheese followed by chocolate chia pudding with cream.