What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finzi

I did some "damage" yesterday from a poorly thought out Chinese. "Seaweed", I thought. "What carbs could there be in seaweed?" Until they brought it out. Covered in sugar. Spiked to 8.9 following that meal :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chinese is an evil :twisted: No matter what you choose there are always some carbs

Breakfast: low carb muffins
Lunch: courgette pancakes
Dinner: Not sure but it will be dinning out so probably bad :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ewelina said:
Chinese is an evil :twisted: No matter what you choose there are always some carbs

Egg foo yung with shrimps or roast duck with prawn meat stuffing is ok, as long as with brown rice. Or a thai style king prawn and egg noodle soup, just go easy on the noodles. OK, no good for the near zero carbers, but works for me. Last night's prawn and chicken southern style jambalaya, with brown rice again, took me up from 6.1 to 7.2 so, not bad at all. Weight Watchers wrap, wheat with added bran, works well for me with a tuna salad. Today it will get a thin layer of light philadelphia, two slices of Norwegian smoked salmon, some dill sauce and salad leaves and then get rolled up like a swiss roll.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Egg foo yung with shrimps or roast duck with prawn meat stuffing is ok, as long as with brown rice. Or a thai style king prawn and egg noodle soup, just go easy on the noodles. OK, no good for the near zero carbers, but works for me.

I dont mind homemade chinese but when I go to chinese buffet i always have crazy readings. Im not sure but they put some powder (maybe its corn flour) into everything. Even meat is not safe.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, chinese buffets are again quite different. Cheap and plentiful is just the same as western foods, all the wrong things in to bulk it up or make it taste satisfying, double or triple frying, bulked up sauces. Corn flour or potato starch is used a lot in chinese cooking. Even salt and pepper spare ribs use it but, it should only be a dusting before it is deep fried. Double or triple frying bulks often a small amount of meat up to look like a big crispy rib. Yes, you may as well be eating a deep fried mars bar :D

VickiT11979

I went out for Chinese last week & it worked fairly well - I used to have Singapore Vermicelli which would send me up to about 14 3-4 hours later, but I had 1 crispy duck pancake with a tiny smear of plum sauce & some salt & pepper spare ribs, then seaweed (took off the weird stuff that looked like brown sugar) & chicken with chilli & sesame oil. I bolused to cover 10g carbs for the starter & did a combo bolus to cover 17g carbs for the main, 15% upfront & 85% over the next 1.5hrs. I was 8.3 1.5 hrs after starting to eat, 8.3 at 3 hrs & 6.9 at 4 hrs & 6.4 at 5hrs.

B

badcat

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs
Lunch 1/2 a t pear and some toasted almonds
Dinner homemade curries ( a chicken one and a lamb one) with spinach and salad
Snacks - I currently have a rather delicious almond @ chocolate cake baking in the oven and will have a slice of thy later

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Monosodium glutamate is evil:twisted:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Finzi

Woo how! I suddenly remembered that one of my favourite snacks has always been thinly sliced cheddar cheese with some picked onions. And realized that that would be fine on LCHF - so I've just filled myself up on 50g cheddar and a handful of silver skin picked onions.

Had a very low carb and low calorie day today which is probably why I've been a bit hungry, genuinely I almost never snack any more, just don't feel the need

Breakfast: a portion of my son's whey protein shake (2g net carbs) - a real find; I always find breakfast a big struggle
plus 10 pistachio nuts - 1.7g net carbs

Lunch: a homemade soup made from water, some coconut powder (makes coconut milk when mixed with water - I guess could just use coconut milk instead, but the powder is very convenient cos you can use a little at a time), 2 tsp peanut butter, dried seaweed (got this from an oriental foods shop, it's flat strips of seaweed that's been baked. Virtually carb and calorie free), garlic, ginger, Thai fish sauce, chili powder. 5g carbs for a bowl (which uses 20g coconut powder and a mug full of water).

Dinner: chicken breasts marinated in olive oil, white wine, lemon juice and rosemary, and cooked on my George Foreman grill. They were the kind of breasts that were sliced in half thickness-wise making them quick and easy to grill (about5 mins). Plus some various veggies that came to about 6g carbs.

So about 15g carbs and 800 calories for the day (til I had the cheese lol)

One disappointment: celeriac. I tried it for the first time for my dinner and I thought it was disgusting! Tried being the operative word - I took half a teaspoonful and spat it out. I knew it would be disgusting from the smell. I've never smelt anything so horrible - smelt like stuff you might burn in a vaporizer if you had a chesty cough. Am I missing something?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pickledpepper2

I just had about 5 chicken wings that I grilled with Swartz (think that's how to spell it?) Cajun seasoning and some steamed broccoli which I seasoned with some of the fat that came from the chicken wing skins.

Was very nice, thank you very much!

:)

Fell off the wagon in the morning though and had a couple of peanut cookies with coffee.........

As for last night......good Lord! Don't know what came over me, polished off a pack of peanut m&ms....didn't have any strips (or stomach to be honest) to test the damage in the morning....

Reactions: 2 people

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
For breakfast I had two small slices of gluten free bread spread with salad cream, filled with ox tongue and tomato and two cups of tea with single cream.

For lunch I had a piece of ribeye steak with mixed green veggies. Two custard creams and a cup of coffee with cream.

For snacks I had 4 Jacobs Savoury crackers with blue cheese spread, a banana, a tangerine.
For supper I had a tin of Heinz tomato soup with a small slice of bread and 2oz of crumbly Caerphilly cheese. One cup of coffee with cream.

:D

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Breakfast: almond flour, flax, pumpkin and sunflower seed bread. Toasted with cheese spread.

Lunch: roast ham with cauliflower cheese.

Tea: "special" kebab from the local takeaway! Omitted the pitta and just had it with salad and garlic mayo.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finzi said:
One disappointment: celeriac. I tried it for the first time for my dinner and I thought it was disgusting! Tried being the operative word - I took half a teaspoonful and spat it out. I knew it would be disgusting from the smell. I've never smelt anything so horrible - smelt like stuff you might burn in a vaporizer if you had a chesty cough. Am I missing something?

Celeriac is normally added to other things. I use it mostly in soups and stews, chopped into small cubes and added at the very beginning so it breaks down over the one to two hours. You can also boil it until soft and add a small amount to mashed potato, like adding turnip, swede, apple or squash. It is also eaten cold as a salad, mostly cut into strips and mixed with a variety of other foods stuffs and marinades. I like it with apple.

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/index-bi ... esalat.jpg

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.

Breakfast - usual 2 cups of coffee

Lunch - spinach/riccato cheese crustless mini quiche
2 Baked tomatoes
Small fruit box of mango slices

Tea - count on us [marks/spencers] cottage pie.
[have to have this with a little bit of HP sauce :thumbup: ]

Exercise class tonight so can burn things off :p [I hope]

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Breakfast - 2 cups of tea with cream, bacon, egg, liver (ewwww but I had no black pud) :roll:

Lunch - Tossed salad made with lettuce, tomato, Caerphilly, ox tongue, salad cream, two small slices of gluten free bread with salad cream. Half an apple, tangerine, cream.

Dinner - Chicken Korma without the rice. Didnt' feel like veggies.

Supper - probably will be crackers with cheese spread.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

Breakfast - 2 cups of coffee

Lunch - boiled egg sliced up on 3 flat bread crackers
melon and grapes snack box

Tea - count on us [marks/spencers] cottage pie
[with HP sauce too just have to have a little on :thumbup: ]

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woodland Garlic mushrooms on toasted seeded batch:razz:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Breakfast - Bacon and two eggs (couldn't stand liver for breakfast and forgot to get my black pud yesterday)

Lunch - 2 small slices of Burgen bread with corned beef, lettuce, tomato and a bit of cheese sandwich spread to make it all stick together.

Dinner - Fatty Lamb ribs and a big dollop of mashed potato (don't normally eat potato but got a sudden urge when I saw them in Tesco Express. :oops:

Fancied and bought a bottle of red wine yesterday. Don't normally drink alcohol but was fed up with diet coke etc, so had a glass of red wine mixed with two big glasses of Indian Tonic Water. Not sure what good red wine will do me, I usually just end up with a muzzy head for a few days and vow never to drink it again, but now and then I enjoy it.

No snacks today, didn't feel the need. But the night is young. :lol:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Breakfast and lunch as per my other posts.

Dinner: chicken curry and cauli rice

Drink: single malt whiskey. I need it today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.