What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finzi

Breakfast: bacon, slice of burgen and scrambled egg. Made myself some yoghurt, flaxseed and raspberries as well, but was too full to eat it. 8g total

Lunch: my experiment with almond flour pancakes. Bit messy looking and tasted nice. Very filling. 5g total

Dinner: 90% pork chipolatas from Costco that come in at a whopping (!) 1.2g for five. Mashed swede with cream, Green beans, broccoli, carrots (will probably be about 10 altogether). Total 11.2g

So under 25g today - definitely a good day.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Finzi, the key to almond flour pancakes is to not shake the pan, but leave them until you need to flip.

Today I've had:

Breakfast: sardines on almond flour toast

Lunch: scrambled egg with courgette, cheese and creme fraiche.

Dinner: steak, asparagus, brocolli, bernaise sauce and a bottle of pinotage (steak two nights in a row!)

Finzi

Breakfast: 1 avocado mashed with lime juice, 60g cubed mozzarella, 1 slice cooked chicken breast, mixed seeds, then 100g full fat greek yoghurt with 2 tsps pomegranate seeds (I LOVE these! You have to factor in carbs, it's 2.3g for 2 teaspoonfuls, but they are so so nice mixed with yoghurt. Like little jewels). Total carbs 9.4g

Lunch: went to a Thai restaurant. Had two starters as none of the mains looked suitable and all came with rice or noodles included. Had chicken skewers with satay sauce, and hot and sour soup (this was a very thin soup that clearly had no thickening/starch in it, unlike in some Chinese restaurants). The chicken is zero carb and I am very cautious with the satay sauce. Estimated net carbs: 5g (from the teaspoon of satay)

Dinner: duck breast shredded and rolled in iceberg lettuce "pancakes" along with spring onion and cucumber. Sugar free jelly and cream. Net carbs 3g. Couldn't be bothered with pancakes in the end, husband and son had them after dinner but I wasn't hungry.

So under 20g for the day but I was a bit hungry tonight so I have just had 2 x Baby Bel cheese and 25g peanuts (1g carbs)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Yesterday I had -

Breakfast - 4 Jacobs Savoury crackers, 2 cheese triangles, teaspoon sandwich spread

Lunch - Lettuce, tomato, slice of tongue, seafood sandwich spread, 1 banana

Dinner - 4oz rib eye steak, carrot and turnip and broccoli, 1 egg custard tart for afters (don't usually have that), 1 banana for supper (wouldn't normally have that either)

Drinks - 2 cups of fruit tea no milk or sugar, 1 cup of water, 2 cups of tea with cream, 1 glass red wine with dinner (wouldn't normally have that).

Got up this morning, took a reading from my left hand and it was 13.4!!! :shock:
Took a reading from my right hand and it was 8.8 :shock:
Took another reading from my left hand and it was 11.9!!! :shock:
Took another reading in my right hand and it's 17.5!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
These readings have all been taken in the space of 3 mins.

Just last week my Metformin was cut down to 1 a day instead of 2 because my DN thought my previous HBa1c was so marvellous but she didn't do another one this time, she just reduced my meds because I told her I was having night sweats and she thought I was overmedicated. I've also got a cold and a urine infection.

I ate a lot more carbs than I normally would one day early last week and didn't get these kind of high readings.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on here?

Finzi

Grace, I posted a similar thread about bizarre readings one after the other, but they were nothing like as bizarre as that! (I think it was 7.8,7.0,8.0,5.9). It freaks me out a bit that things like that can happen, because it makes me think, can we trust our meters at all? I mean, which of those readings are you supposed to believe? What I did that time was take an average of the four, but that would make less sense with those wildly disparate readings.

No chance there was anything sticky or sugary on your hands? Poorer circulation to some fingers than others, and so delayed getting to the finger tips of the true glucose level? I've no idea I'm afraid :(

Susiebabs

When I have a urine infection it sends my readings haywire. They settle down again as the infection resolves so that may be part of what you're experiencing with your high readings today (especially if you have a cold on top - your immune system will be particularly overloaded with trying to deal with all of that and sending all sorts of chemical signals round your body for extra help).

My readings are great at the moment, but I can't really add anything to the 'what did you eat today thread'. It looks like the nerves in my digestive system have been affected by the spinal anaesthetic I had last week and as a result I'm not really digesting anything it's pretty much just going straight through - resulting in a 10lb weight loss in 8 days which can't be good! Hopefully it should resolve shortly but in the mean time lots of fluids and simple low carb foods in small amounts are all that are passing my lips - not very exciting but better than the alternative of numb legs from sitting on the loo :lolno:

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute again shortly with some yummy daily consumption to induce jealousy! LOL

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Caesar salad with anchovy and bacon followed by Chicken provencale, (in red wine, peppers and tomatoes) new potatoes in a herb butter.
Finishing with a rich ginger cake with muscavado and jersey double cream.
One of my friends was coming for dinner but I think the snows going to get worse so they're on reluctant standby:cry:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mousakka (or however you spell it) for tea tonight.

Susiebabs

So jealous Sam! I have all the makings for Mousakka in the fridge and it was meant to be tonight's tea but my dodgy digestive system is still not playing ball so I had lovely water instead -sigh! Hope it was fab!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was! Get some in you when you're better!

Finzi

Love moussaka! Did you have any sort of version of bechamel sauce in it? And presumably the potatoes can be substituted with aubergines on their own?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't even know it was supposed to have potatoes in it! Just used aubergines. I made the bechamel sauce with butter, almond flour and milk. Much easier than regular flour as it never goes lumpy.

I adapted the recipe from Low Carb Gourmet by Karen Barnaby which u bought from Amazon.

Susiebabs

One thing I do to make a difference is I use one or two eggs - separate them and mix the yokes in the bechamel (making it thicken and richer) and then whip up the whites. I layer my tomatoey lamb mince with aubergines and then mix the bechamel with the egg whites and then a sprinkling of parmesan on the top and pop it in the oven to finish.....it gives a gorgeous rich souffle like top to the mousakka (used to do it on the top layer of lasagne too when I still ate pasta).

Susiebabs

All I'm doing is torturing myself now as I'm on a complete fast day with water only....having lost 14lbs in 9 days now with this stomach/digestive whatever it is. Only good thing is I don't really feel actually hungry!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great idea with the whisked egg whites! That's a lot of weight to have lost in a week.

Susiebabs

I know...luckily I have it to lose, but dropping this fast is just not the way it should go. With low fat and then switching to low carb I've been dropping a healthy 1lb or so a week up till now.

I don't feel hugely ill, but definitely not actually taking the nutrients out of anything that I have been eating and so starting to feel weak and tired. Back to the docs tomorrow if I haven't improved. I'm having to freeze more and more of what's been in my fridge so that it doesn't go to waste as the days go on!

Still it's been a cheap week for groceries and not much dishwashing...so there's always a silver lining! :lol:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thats a lot 14lbs. Hope you feel better soon and start enjoying food again :) Great idea with eggs. Ive heard about mashed cauliflower as a white sauce. It can be nice and taste good with aubergines.

Finzi

Susiebabs said:
One thing I do to make a difference is I use one or two eggs - separate them and mix the yokes in the bechamel (making it thicken and richer) and then whip up the whites. I layer my tomatoey lamb mince with aubergines and then mix the bechamel with the egg whites and then a sprinkling of parmesan on the top and pop it in the oven to finish.....it gives a gorgeous rich souffle like top to the mousakka (used to do it on the top layer of lasagne too when I still ate pasta).

Susie this sounds lovely! Do you do bechamel with ground almonds too? Do you know what the exact recipe is (or Sam, can you tell me?)

Susiebabs

Sometimes I use ground almonds, but more often than that not I heat some thick cream and then with the beaten egg yolks stirred in that makes a sauce that is thick enough when added to the egg whites to make a really rich topping on top so don't really need to add any flour too - really just depends what I've got to hand to be honest! LOL

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
breakfast: cottage cheese with slice of pumpernickel
Lunch: Roast chicken with green salad and a bit of potatoes salad
Dinner: Stuffed aubergines

Status
Not open for further replies.