What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Philly cheesesteak and coleslaw. Orange jelly (sans chocolate) and LOADS of double cream. During the day cheese, coleslaw, jelly - snacks really.

I've been very stressed last few days and it's had a surprising effect on carb cravings, they are back with a vengeance. I need to eat more to make sure I don't get hungry, because if I'm not hungry it's easier to say no to what are then clearly just mindless cravings.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Philly cheesesteak and coleslaw. Orange jelly (sans chocolate) and LOADS of double cream. During the day cheese, coleslaw, jelly - snacks really.

I've been very stressed last few days and it's had a surprising effect on carb cravings, they are back with a vengeance. I need to eat more to make sure I don't get hungry, because if I'm not hungry it's easier to say no to what are then clearly just mindless cravings.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sympathies.:( I've a feeling that stress causes high blood sugar, directly, even without the further complication of stress causing a need to eat carbs/comfort eat. A double whammy then. It has always wreaked havoc for me.

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A jelly with clotted cream at lunchtime. Each jelly is about 15g of protein

For lunchtime, two Aberdeen Angus quarter pounders and 100g of coleslaw from M and S. The cheese coleslaw was less carby but a bit too pricey. The burgers were on special. They were super tasty and I poured some of the fat from the pan on as well. 7g of carbs and 42g of protein.
Washed down with a lovely glass of red and 130g of mildish brie for afters, another 20g of protein and a gram or so of carb.

I probably need to stop shopping at M and S though and get back to Sainsbury's or Tesco.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made my mouth water...could just eat that right now.

Breakfast mushrooms, tomato, turkey rasher
Lunch tandoori chicken salad
Dinner chicken chorizo and chickpea stew ( I had a couple of spoonfuls of chickpeas) green beans broccoli
Snack babybel, 15g smoked cheese and small handful Brazil and hazelnut pieces

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On waking: 1 cheese string
Breakfast: 2 slices Livlife with lovely cream cheese on top
Elevenses: 3 square Lindt blueberry and almond dark choc
Lunch: veg and bouillon soup
Snack at 3pm: snickers bar
Dinner: belly pork
Last thing: 1 cheese string

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Off to bed for me now. I've had a bedtime tea and it's just hit me. Nanite chicken legs. :chicken: xx

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Off on hols, staying in B&B en route who do dinner as well. For dinner had bacon and date salad, beef in red wine with veg, a 250ml glass of Grenache/Merlot and a Penderyn afterwards. 5.7 before, 6.3 at +2. Result - I thought the dates might have been a problem.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Breakfast: cheesy omelette

Lunch: Greek yogurt, mixed berries, veg jelly, creamy decaf.

Dinner: veg and kidney bean ratatouille, 2 quorn sausages, cheese.

Snack: handful of almonds.

Meanwhile in cheese news! I got an email back from sainsburys to say that they hope to reintroduce their vegetarian Italian hard cheese at the beginning of June. It is Parmesan-like and was pulled from the shelves last year. Will be great to have it back so I can try some new recipes :D

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Breakfast (!! - what's going on with me?!):

3 thick rashers of dutch bacon, 150g. 45gpr.
3 large egg omelette. 18gpr
with lots of salt and pepper on the egg - yum!

then
200g unsweetened greek yogurt, 11gch, 8gpr
50g milled flax seed, 1gch 11gpr

this was a bit thick and worthy, I probably need to use less flax seed next time.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast (!! - what's going on with me?!):

3 thick rashers of dutch bacon, 150g. 45gpr.
3 large egg omelette. 18gpr
with lots of salt and pepper on the egg - yum!

then
200g unsweetened greek yogurt, 11gch, 8gpr
50g milled flax seed, 1gch 11gpr

this was a bit thick and worthy, I probably need to use less flax seed next time.

As a matter of interest Spiker, do you know how many calories you're currently consuming?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many eggs do you consume in a week on average? I'm statin dodging and while it appears that egg consumption is not correlated with increased risk of CVD in non -diabetics, there appears to be some statistically significant increase in risk for diabetics which apparently warrants further investigation. I love eggs as they are calorie controlled portions of goodness but am currently trying to restrict mine to a couple a week. Any thoughts?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a matter of interest Spiker, do you know how many calories you're currently consuming?
No, I don't have a clue, because I'm not tracking fat. Or alcohol. Hic. :)

I probably should be, but, I sort of don't care as I'm not trying to lose weight, I just want to normalise blood sugars. If I start gaining weight I will have to pay attention to calories I suppose.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How many eggs do you consume in a week on average? I'm statin dodging and while it appears that egg consumption is not correlated with increased risk of CVD in non -diabetics, there appears to be some statistically significant increase in risk for diabetics which apparently warrants further investigation. I love eggs as they are calorie controlled portions of goodness but am currently trying to restrict mine to a couple a week. Any thoughts?
My thoughts are, what's the evidence? I'm pretty convinced there is no link at all between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol in the general population. I'd be interested to check out any links you have on this.

Personally I don't eat enough eggs so I'm trying to eat more. Though most importantly, I'm trying to consciously eat more fat.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My thoughts are, what's the evidence? I'm pretty convinced there is no link at all between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol in the general population. I'd be interested to check out any links you have on this.

Personally I don't eat enough eggs so I'm trying to eat more. Though most importantly, I'm trying to consciously eat more fat.

I'm eating more eggs than ever before on my current regime, and enjoying them, so wondering why you might feel you need to eat more?

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi Spiker,
Looking at the above and various other posts, I see you do eat a fair amount of fat, but low carb.
Can I ask what are your Cholesterol levels like.
In South Africa one of our doctors (Tim nokes) is promoting a Atkinson type, no carb, and all the fat you can eat diet for weight loss.
The Medical profession are up in arms about his approach saying he will kill half the population with Heart cholesterol problems hence the query
Regards
Brian

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Are eggs bad again? I can't keep up! I eat at least two eggs a day. I struggle with high-ish waking bg, so try to keep carbs as low as possible at breakfast time. Eggs and cheese. I might be doomed, but I'm not hungry.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think eggs are good if you are non-diabetic but need further investigation for diabetics, if I understand the gist of the article right. But that is one article and one study so like anything it is open to question. I'll probably stick to under five a week, if only for variety and their non laxative effects ;-)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast real bacon( wow there's a surprise) tomato, poached egg, mushrooms
Lunch Smoked turkey salad with homemade coleslaw
Dinner Green thai chicken curry with baby corn, green beans and a mound of stir fried tenderstem broccoli and pak choi
snack handful broken brazils and hazelnuts; small piece of cheese
Water, water and more water.

Status
Not open for further replies.