Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On waking: 1 cheese string

Breakfast: an AWESOME full English at our local Army & Navy - Lincolnshire sausage, nice bacon with crispy golden fatty bits, egg beautifully cooked, field mushroom, hash made of chopped baked potatoes bacon and onion (oh my!)

Then a small Costa latte.

Do I know how to live, or what?!?

Then this afternoon at my first ever baby shower for my next door neighbour: 8oz burger with Stilton centre, no bun, and half the chips (swoon).

Then, because this was a baby shower, and the purpose seemed to be to bring the baby into the world already addicted to carbs, I was tied down and forced - forced I tell you - to eat a buttercream topped cupcake with a miniature fondant icing baby bottle sticking out of the top like some anaemic nipple.
:wideyed:
Yes, it was traumatic. Yes, I managed to hide the half eaten nipple under a napkin (how vile is THAT thought?) and ditch half the sponge on someone else's plate, but I still had a 9.1 reading after 2 hours.

Great party. Delightful celebration. But I am mentally scarred for life.

Supper will probably be berries with Greek yoghurt.

Last thing: a cheese string.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm eating more eggs than ever before on my current regime, and enjoying them, so wondering why you might feel you need to eat more?
Because I rarely have them, not even once a week, and I think I should aim to have them maybe every day or every other day.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Spiker,
Looking at the above and various other posts, I see you do eat a fair amount of fat, but low carb.
Can I ask what are your Cholesterol levels like.
In South Africa one of our doctors (Tim nokes) is promoting a Atkinson type, no carb, and all the fat you can eat diet for weight loss.
The Medical profession are up in arms about his approach saying he will kill half the population with Heart cholesterol problems hence the query
Regards
Brian
Hi Brian
I don't give a rat's ass what my cholesterol levels are like. :-D Cholesterol's a load of pernicious nonsense. It's more effective to predict CVD based on what kind of music you listen to.

I do take my other lipids very seriously. These are ok but at, near or slightly over the acceptable range, so I need them to come down. Which is why I'm low carbing. Nothing gets the fat out of the blood like using it as your primary fuel! :)

Reactions: 7 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On waking: 1 cheese string

Great party. Delightful celebration. But I am mentally scarred for life.

Supper will probably be berries with Greek yoghurt.

Last thing: a cheese string.

The cheese strings will keep you sane, Brunneria. :)

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi Spiker,
Don't know why but that's the sort of answer I expected from you.:wacky:
Waiting to see how your next HbA1c turns out
Go well, im watching

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I rarely have them, not even once a week, and I think I should aim to have them maybe every day or every other day.
Thanks for that. For some reason (let's call it my mind failing me), I thought you already ate quite a lot of eggs.

My OH makes the best omelettes ever, and swears brown eggs make the best omelettes. Whilst he is in charge of cooking, and I get to lounge around I'll indulge him. :D

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

OK this 1999 study is ridiculous. First of all, all that it claims is

"We found no evidence of a positive association with higher consumption of eggs in any subgroup except a suggestion that the risk might be elevated among individuals with diabetes." (my italics)

But, their endpoint is heart disease and diabetics are already at risk for heart disease. They make no mention of the statistical method they used to factor that out, if any. I don't think they even made the attempt. As it says in the study, this 'needs further research'. Meanwhile, a horde of other CVD risk groups, most of which are comorbid with diabetes, showed no correlation.

And they regurgitate the claims of dietary cholesterol affecting blood cholesterol, which are ****.

In summary: Eggs 1, Eggheads 0 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In an effort to add more fat

Lunch - raspberry cocoa jelly just drowning, drowing in double cream

Dinner - two aberdeen angus burgers with 150g of Brie smothered on them. OK you can't get that much brie onto two quarter pounders to the rest went into the 100g of coleslaw. Total 11 gch, 66 gpr. I quailed at the idea of cooking the burgers in butter. Maybe next time!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Spiker

I'm curious about your coleslaw mayo... What do you use?

I've often made mayo at home (it is stunningly easy if you have a hand blender) but my recipe uses powdered mustard and sugar. Both pretty carby. I would imagine that commercial mayo is probably more so. Admittedly, still small amounts in comparison with the half haunches of venison you eat them with ;).

Just wondered if you had found a brilliant sugar free mayo...?

May have a go at making it with xylitol, and see what happens.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I nicked everyone else's ideas for dinner tonight :jimlad:

Onion bhajis with pakora sauce from @Brunneria I used an almond flour recipe because I didn't spot the one above until now.

Chocolate jelly and cream from @Spiker With cherry jelly for a retro Black Forest gateau effect. It's amazing! :woot:

2jihbp.jpg

1zcobk1.jpg

But where are the quorn sausages? Or are you saving them for brekkie? :happy:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Breakfast - bacon egg sausage mushrooms tomato
Lunch - ham salad
Dinner is where it gets a bit crazy. I'm on holiday now so after driving to cottage tested at 6.1 before dinner. OK, a bit higher than I would like but I've had no exercise today because of driving. For dinner (wedding anniversary) had a G&T, scallops, fillet steak and half a bottle of dry white wine. Tested at +2, 5.2, 0.9 LESS than preprandial. Thought there must be a glitch so tested again, 5.0. ***!. Maybe my stress levels are just dropping quicker than my BG is rising.

The next week could be enlightening ...

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Spiker

I'm curious about your coleslaw mayo... What do you use?

I've often made mayo at home (it is stunningly easy if you have a hand blender) but my recipe uses powdered mustard and sugar. Both pretty carby. I would imagine that commercial mayo is probably more so. Admittedly, still small amounts in comparison with the half haunches of venison you eat them with ;).

Just wondered if you had found a brilliant sugar free mayo...?

May have a go at making it with xylitol, and see what happens.

Hmmm! Oh dear, I did not know mustard was carby. I make 'mayonnaise' by adding half a teaspoon of made mustard and a whole teaspoon of horseradish sauce to 2 tablespoons of full fat Greek yoghurt. Easy, delicious, but I had assumed it was ok, carb-wise. Maybe not?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm! Oh dear, I did not know mustard was carby. I make 'mayonnaise' by adding half a teaspoon of made mustard and a whole teaspoon of horseradish sauce to 2 tablespoons of full fat Greek yoghurt. Easy, delicious, but I had assumed it was ok, carb-wise. Maybe not?

@lizdeluz and @Spiker
I'm not sure of the actual carb content.. Hold on, I'll check:

Ok, so I may have been talking rubbish!

Nutrition of Colmans English Mustard

Typical ValuesTypical values per 2.5g (a tsp)-
Energy54kJ/13kcal-
Protein0.8g-
Carbohydrate0.3g-
Of Which Sugars0.2g-
Fat0.8g-
Of Which Saturates0.3g-
Fibre0.3g-
Sodiumtrace-
Salttrace-

And, this
  • mustard - most plain and dijon prepared mustards are less than 0.5 carb per tsp; beware "honey" varieties, and Russian sweet mustard at 2.0 gm per tsp
  • mayonnaise - most regular real mayonnaise is less than 0.5 gm per Tbsp. Beware the light mayo - 1.0 gm per Tbsp and ultra-low fat at 3.0 to 4.0 gm per Tbsp
from here
http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips009.html

Clearly, not a great danger to ketosis!!!

The reason I brought it up in the first place is that I have used mustard as a sauce thickener (chicken in honey/mustard sauce), just like corn flour (which is very starchy), and just assumed that thickening abilities = high carbs.

Your normal programming will now resume...

Last edited by a moderator:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I have mostly been eating salad as I went to see parents in North East and was late home and Mr Ethyl couldn't possibly eat his portion of the slow cooker curry without his onion bajhia, samosa and oven warmed naan bread. He'd make a very poor diabetic.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Ive just discovered Divine 70% choc with raspberry.......it most def is divine.I found it in a larger Sainsburys when I was stocking up on my sugarfree marshmallows.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On waking: the eternal cheese string

Breakfast: coffee with cream and a peanut 9 bar (thanks @Spiker for that suggestion, I didn't spike either)

Lunch: turkey and veg biryani, no rice. Very low fat. Was ravenous within 2 hours! So at 4pm I made an almond flour choc sponge with broken 70% choc in it. OMG. It was like school dinner pud, except school dinner puds don't get smothered in double cream.

Evening: roast chicken leg and sugar snap peas.

Last thing: a cheese string

Oh, and Mr B thinks I have lost some weight! :woot:

Since you all know from this thread how much I have been eating (masses and masses and masses, including that half cupcake yesterday, the odd chip, and even some bread, in v small quantities...). I am in shock. What an un looked for benefit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.