Not open for further replies.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or maybe we're all just minging?! :eek:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Egg mcmuffin, hash brown double espresso. Not ideal but surprised not to see a negative effect.
In my defence (of which there is none) I was forced to get up at the crack of dawn to collect various peeps who wanted a lift NOW! So got mcds on way! Tasted bloody lovely but obviously something which should be done very rarely! Nice to have break from sausages. Went to barbie yesterday, and, knowing I'm diabetic , was offered sausages, pasta, bread, potato salad, crisps so ended up having 4 sausages. Annoying as I'd offered to bring own stuff!
Interestingly enough, am now feeling hungry which I don't feel on my normal fried brekkie!

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Egg mcmuffin, hash brown double espresso. Not ideal but surprised not to see a negative effect.
In my defence (of which there is none) I was forced to get up at the crack of dawn to collect various peeps who wanted a lift NOW! So got mcds on way! Tasted bloody lovely but obviously something which should be done very rarely! Nice to have break from sausages. Went to barbie yesterday, and, knowing I'm diabetic , was offered sausages, pasta, bread, potato salad, crisps so ended up having 4 sausages. Annoying as I'd offered to bring own stuff!
Interestingly enough, am now feeling hungry which I don't feel on my normal fried brekkie!

The words " I am diabetic and don't eat....." seem to go over most folks' heads. My friend who is high up in NHS, very bright and health conscious told me her buffet would be fine as there were quiche, bread and cake.

Reactions: 3 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ye
I read that uncontrolled diabetics are more likely to get gum disease due to having sweet saliva. This can also cause doggy breath. I have gum disease which the dentist treats quarterly, but I think keto breath is different. It comes from your very soul, not your gums.

This isn't like teeth / gum smell - it's like I can almost feel it on my breath if that makes sense. And nothing , not even cleaning teeth nor drinking buckets of water will shift it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Sounds like ketosis, Ethyl. Burn baby burn :)

To be fair, I don't think I would have known what diabetics ate before I joined the club myself. But I would have made the effort to find out. I used to host the occasional vegan dinner party and did loads of research so that it was not wrong and awkward for my pals.

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have thought that everyone would know a diabetic doesn't eat cake though!! And I did say I'm also low carbing . I just think bread and other carbs are so embedded in our eating habits that we don't even think of them as carbs, just essential foods. I'm currently organising a reunion for my university department and while the buffet caters for veggies, vegans, and gluten free, every item bar the mozzarella on a stick has carbs in it. I'm going to really enjoy my quiche middle and the inside of the Mediterranean vegetable rissoles ;-)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ye

This isn't like teeth / gum smell - it's like I can almost feel it on my breath if that makes sense. And nothing , not even cleaning teeth nor drinking buckets of water will shift it.
Have you tried chewing parsley? Personally I'd rather let everyone else suffer with my dog breath instead of chewing on parsley!!!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I would have thought that everyone would know a diabetic doesn't eat cake though!! And I did say I'm also low carbing . I just think bread and other carbs are so embedded in our eating habits that we don't even think of them as carbs, just essential foods. I'm currently organising a reunion for my university department and while the buffet caters for veggies, vegans, and gluten free, every item bar the mozzarella on a stick has carbs in it. I'm going to really enjoy my quiche middle and the inside of the Mediterranean vegetable rissoles ;-)
I read on here recently someone being told, "But you can eat carrot cake. That's healthy!" :wacky:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read on here recently someone being told, "But you can eat carrot cake. That's healthy!" :wacky:
Well that's something I've always tried to say to myself, but I don't think I ever believed it! ;)

I was truly wicked this morning and had a slice of toast - the first one for 5 months, it wasn't very nice so I messed up my BG's for nothing.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried chewing parsley? Personally I'd rather let everyone else suffer with my dog breath instead of chewing on parsley!!!

Lol.. I think I'll just eat loads of roasted garlic and blame that. Anything to keep sparkly vampires at bay.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that's something I've always tried to say to myself, but I don't think I ever believed it! ;)

I was truly wicked this morning and had a slice of toast - the first one for 5 months, it wasn't very nice so I messed up my BG's for nothing.

Just made two slices of warburton's thick toaster loaf dripping with butter and carried it to the pit of doom. I was so tempted but put the rest of loaf back in freezer. One day when I've lost another three st maybe. By then the craving might have gone.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just made two slices of warburton's thick toaster loaf dripping with butter and carried it to the pit of doom. I was so tempted but put the rest of loaf back in freezer. One day when I've lost another three st maybe. By then the craving might have gone.
Yes I think it will have gone....mine was Warburton's which I used to love.....I'm going into the pit of doom now to check he has enough work shirts for a week away.......

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The words " I am diabetic and don't eat....." seem to go over most folks' heads. My friend who is high up in NHS, very bright and health conscious told me her buffet would be fine as there were quiche, bread and cake.
The trouble is that my sisterinlaws mother is also T2 and just eats what she likes by the bucket load. She is absolutely huge - very sad :( apparently she is on a low carb diet so my sisterinlaws is convinced that starchy carbs are fine:(

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Although I enjoyed the muffin I will be doing this rarely because I know how bad it is for me. I miss toast too!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair, I haven't yet tested whether wholemeal bread or spuds or rice spike me badly. I ought not to eat gluten as it bloats me and I am trying to keep off other carbs till I have lost more weight and hopefully can introduce a few without too much raising of levels.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yesterday I had a home made chicken curry with rice and peas.
This mornings get out of bed reading was 4.6.
I'm just eating it again as I made far to much ... very yummy.
I'll be testing again in about an hour and see what's happened.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast Bacon and scrambled eggs
Lunch strawbs, creme fraiche , flaxseed
Dinner Belly pork, few carrots. flat beans, cauli cheese and broccoli, gravy- while watching them have garlic bread, spuds and york puds!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yesterday I had a home made chicken curry with rice and peas.
This mornings get out of bed reading was 4.6.
I'm just eating it again as I made far to much ... very yummy.
I'll be testing again in about an hour and see what's happened.
5.0 .... so the curry and rice was ok ....

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and eggs

Pulled pork with lettuce and mayo

Creamy pesto chicken with salami (didn't have any chorizo) with spinach. HEAVEN!

I'll have jelly and cream later....

Status
Not open for further replies.