What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1 Bergen toast, then went to gym at 8am, then bacon and 2 egg omelette.

Lunch, 2 cheese sticks, 3 Milton multi seed crackers, 40 g honey roasted nuts(addicted to them atm )

Dinner - lamb, broccoli and cauliflower cheese, sugar snap peas.
2 squares 85% choccy

Sugar free jelly, cream and few s trawberries if the jellies set otherwise strawberries and cream.

How do you make the shortbread without it collapsing in a heap. I've tried the biscuit recipe mentioned on the recipe forum but they ended up like crumbly sponge so threw them. :)

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was quite ill back in April and lost **** load of weight, just shy of a stone in 4 days, I couldn't eat or swallow much as was pretty much on a glass of water a day, but remember my breath was effing minging, as did everyone else in house, so looking back now that was ketosis ? not really had like that since :(

Bfast 2 farmers sausages, 2 eggs and bacon with mushrooms
Lunch chicken and avocado salad
Dinner Som tam
Pudding undecided
Loads of exercise as lost dog again for over an hour, no more off the lead for her!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Just had cheese om with bacon and beans.
I'm ok with beans as I drain off the juice and make my own ... water, powdered garlic, powdered ginge,r smidge of tom paste squeeze of lemon and a teaspoon of butter.
I'll be checking my bloods in a while.
Having been reading this place I think I'm learning .... checking regular is really helping me understand right now.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I'm ok with beans as I drain off the juice and make my own ... water, powdered garlic, powdered ginge,r smidge of tom paste squeeze of lemon and a teaspoon of butter.
Having been reading this place I think I'm learning .... checking regular is really helping me understand right now.
What juice are you draining off the beans? If you started with haricot beans there would be no juice to drain off. I am easily confused lol

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Brunch: leftover salad with Deb's salad dressing and a boiled egg. Fennel tea.

Dinner: chickpea curry with coconut and lime cauli "rice"

(Keto stick turned pink 2 hours after dinner. Woop!)

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
What juice are you draining off the beans? If you started with haricot beans there would be no juice to drain off. I am easily confused lol
Baked beans in tom sauce.
I drain theres off and make my own.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1404675548.752628.jpg

Chorizo, egg, tomatoes, cream and cheese all baked in ramekins and a salad...

Loving life

Reactions: 5 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Fage yoghurt and raspberries
Lunch: Bacon and eggs (Burford Browns for the deep yellow yolks)
Dinner: Burger, wilted spinach, cauliflower mash with cream and cinnamon
Snacks: 2 large strawberries and a mug of bulletproof coffee (frothed with butter and coconut oil)

BaconEggs.JPG

Burger.JPG

strawberries.JPG

Bulletproof.JPG

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

[COLOR=#000000]Wish on!! :p[/COLOR]

[quote="Brunneria, post: 583328, member: 0"][USER=41816]
Mind you, I could photo a bag of pork scratchings ok...)
[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=#000000]Are they the Awfully Posh ones? 'd need to photograph those on a silver salver, no less...
I think it was Robert that started us off on the photos kick - only trouble is if you take too long and then do a pre meal test, once hot things are no longer.[/COLOR]

[quote="Brunneria, post: 583328, member: 0"][USER=41816]
And could I have your almond shortbread recipe? With cheese option?

Oh. How did it turn out red?
[/QUOTE]

My cheesey shortcake thing is actually a modified microwave cheese scone recipe that doesn't rise! So I also don't have any timings etc for a conventional oven.

Instead of the usual SR flour I use a mix of milled golden flaxseed and ground almonds, and it's a combination of the flax and paprika that colour it - and also my hands whgen I'm done mixing! :joyful:

4oz milled flaxseed
2oz ground almonds
teaspoon mustard powder
teaspoon paprika
pinch salt & pepper
approx 2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/2 to 2oz grated cheese ( I use a mix of cheddar & parmesan
2oz (hard) salted butter
almond milk

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl (sift the baking powder, mustard & paprika)
Grate, add, and mix in the cheese
I sometimes (if it stays hard enough) grate in the butter which is a bit messy, otherwise I add it and chop up fine with knife; when it starts looking like crumble I start kneading it, then add just a tiny bit of milk to bind it, and finish combining it into a firm ball.

Line a suitable microwave proof container with baking parchment (I use a dinner plate or flattish pyrex pie dish, pop the mixture l into the centre, and flatten it out with your hands to make a disk slightly smaller than the baking parchment. If the edges crack just knead them back together again. I then cut into 8 segments with a knife (this helps later when its cooked) , and sometimes do a bit of pricking with a fork. Cook in microwave for 5 1/2 to 6 mins, I use a medium setting on my current microwave, but used high on my older one. When done re-cut with knife to separate the segments, and rest he container on a cooling rack for a short time, then slide off the the container and leave till completely cool. It should be firm and crunchy and possibly slightly crumbly, but if you leave on the plate the bottom if the pieces may stay a bit too moist. It needs to be stored in the fridge.
If I want a savoury crumble topping, I just break a piece up, and I save all the bigger crumbs that I might get when slicing!

And as a bonus my (sweet) shortcake is made in a similar fashion, but is not quite so reliable! :(

6 oz ground almonds
about 1 1/2 oz butter (I use unsalted Kerrygold)
sweetening to taste if required
(I use about 10-15 drops of liquid stevia)

Place ground almonds in a bowl, add the sweetener and mix in.
Add the chopped or grated butter, and carry on rubbing in till it looks like crumble, then knead into a firm ball. If it feels too greasy then add more ground almonds, as I think too much fat tends to make it too crumbly when cooked. My batches sometimes are very fragile and sometimes OK. It may work better with a "proper" sugarr substitute?

Place on baking parchment in flat container, pat into a disk, slice in to 8 segments, and cook in microwave for 2 1/2 -3 mins on medium. Be careful over timing as this can quickly go sort of burnt in the middle if overcooked or overheated. Rest on cooling rack, re-slice, and remove from container to finish cooling. Again store in fridge. If it falls to bits them I use it as a crumble topping.

Robbity[/user][/user]

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Not eaten since then and am now 13.7 just before bed ... summat went wrong there!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm guessing the beans are too carby for you. I don't eat them any more for same reason x

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Deb's salad dressing recipe...

Sour cream, full fat mayo, dried chives, garlic granules, dash of olive oil, salt.

Have no idea what quantities I used - just kept chucking stuff in. It's best left in the fridge for about an hour so the dried ingredients rehydrate.

I can't believe I've been buying dressings and dips all this time, when actually, the Jamie Oliver in me conjured up something better!

Go me!! ;)

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not eaten since then and am now 13.7 just before bed ... summat went wrong there!
I am also guessing it was the beans. I love beany things, but can only eat a quarter/third of a tin these days (of kidney beans, chickpeas etc). You could maybe try adding your sauce to tinned, plain haricot beans and testing again. The good news is that your meter is doing its job of alerting you to foods that need tweaking :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I am also guessing it was the beans. I love beany things, but can only eat a quarter/third of a tin these days (of kidney beans, chickpeas etc). You could maybe try adding your sauce to tinned, plain haricot beans and testing again. The good news is that your meter is doing its job of alerting you to foods that need tweaking :)
The real good news is you lot are starting to slowly make sense to me!
Cuppa.gif

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Burgers!
I made lamb burgers vlc and yummy.
1lb lamb mince 1/2 onion 1red chilli seeded 2cloves garlic about 10 mint leaves chop every thing quite small add a splash of cold water and mix with your hands until it feels a bit gluey then add a veg stock cube and mix again form into burger shapes.Grill or BBQ turning every 20 second or so until cooked
CAROL

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Streaky bacon and eggs. NEVER bought it before and it feels so naughty but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it kept me going for hours.

Salami and Brie salad, with my famous Chez Debs Dressing ;)

Aubergine pizzas and salad, served again with CDD. Was nice and tasty but it was not a pizza replacement :( the search continues

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1404750838.332294.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

ROFL I just noticed that your dinner looks like a face...and so does Robert's lunch. Or am I losing the plot?!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I did that on purpose!!

Status
Not open for further replies.