What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
25/02
XBX level 16
breakfast: tea, scrambled egg, spinach, emmental, mushrooms, butter
Off to parents, then to Preventing Diabetes Course.
Ironic that I came home so wound up that I headed straight for coffee and chocolate.
coffee, chocolate cadbury's darkmilk 3 chunks, and three more.
And then cheese and nuts
wensleydale cheese 50g, brazil nuts 30g
lunch; burgen toast, sardines 90g, tea
Afternoon spent sorting kitchen stuff, throwing years of saved recipes away.
Made appt to see doc re weight.
Planned breakfast and lunch. Dont know what to cook for dinner, have two chicken breasts to use.
Mr Slim finished work, made tea.
Am still faffing about, looking for lost charging cables now. So he opened a bottle of prosecco...
prosecco 250ml
Dinner: Brown rice with chicken, celery, green pepper and spring onion. Served with spicy red pepper sauce,
prosecco 125 ml
Berries 160g, double cream, 50ml, yoghurt, 120g. water
then finished off the box of chocs been open for about 10 days. 5 chocs eaten

Thats the food. Not sure what was driving the overconsumption here.
How come I can eat like this and still be losing weight?

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news for your Mum @shelley262 !

A very simple day today.

B: 3 chicken livers
L: none
D: a large steak

It was our Christmas Dinner steak, but we cancelled Xmas on account of getting flu, and barely eating for days.
It was worth the wait! Beautifully tender. And I fall more and more in love with my cast iron frying pn every time i use it. :D

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 hope your cold passes in a flash! Sorry about that disappointing meal - doesn’t improve anything!
@BibaBee congrats on the weight!!!
@Motherhen2014 too bad about the buttered coffee... that’s just a little addictive isn’t it?
@SlimLizzy I’m glad you’ve made an appointment :) Hopefully some intelligent thoughtful things will happen at it. I sometimes think the weather and the moon can drive the munchies. I am well past hormones but had ‘em oncet, so maybe the body remembers.
@Brunneria aha another cast iron skillet fan! I have my grandmother’s “ordinary size” one, and it’s all I can do to lift it one-handed!
Bfast overfed myself but sure kept me full longer! 1/2 avocado, egg, farm cheese with cream (and I think it fits one definition of Skyr, as it’s a probiotic fermented cheese, a little ricotta-ish in texture and flavor) and 3 tbsp hemp hearts YUM!, 2 sq 90% Lindt, decaf/say/cream.
Lunch remainder of that decaf, and decaf/seltzer. A little strange.
Supper in a huge hurry: celery with almond butter ( @ianpspurs you could make ants on a log with your almond butter?), some Cremont cheese (a Vermont dairy’s made-up name for a soft rind double cream goat/cow cheese. It is soooo buttery), a lc tortilla in the car.
Tomorrow I take my mom armchair shopping. Ugh. We do not want a recliner, thank you. We do not want a giant club chair. We want a petitely proportioned wing chair in an older style for a petite older lady. Fingers crossed. Her back has been hurting...
Good night anybody who’s still up, and good morning everybody else.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. Does anyone have an good recipe for kimchi? I picked up a jar in our health food shop and put straight back due to it being ridiculously priced. Definitely need to go the homemade route....

BibaBee - Have a look for ethnic supermarkets in your area. Close to the DCUK HO there is an excellent Korean supermarket where they have kimchi in all sizes deom about 100gr pouches to bags the size of supermarket bags for life - all fairly reasonably priced.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
G'day LC Foodies - Life here in the sunshine trundles on, with more adventures underour belts each day. It's such a beautiful and varied country. There definitely is something for everyone.

On the foodies notes though, does anyone have this gizmo, and if so, how do you find it?

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/31794/Lakeland-Multi-Yogurt-and-Soft-Cheese-Maker

I have various ways of making yoghurt, but whichever way I do it, I find it hogs the gizmo (IP or whatever) for far too long, so thinking I may submit to this when I get home. My last bespoke yoghurt maker was one of those for making little pots, and way too fiddly for my liking. I also sort of fancy some cheese making too, perchance.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
. Does anyone have an good recipe for kimchi? I picked up a jar in our health food shop and put straight back due to it being ridiculously priced. Definitely need to go the homemade route....
Hi @BibaBee, you can make a decent kimchi with just six ingredients;
Chinese leaf cabbage (Napa), salt water (brine), garlic, cayenne pepper, grated ginger and fish sauce.

An easy as recipe can be found here;

Reactions: DJC3

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
G'day LC Foodies - Life here in the sunshine trundles on, with more adventures underour belts each day. It's such a beautiful and varied country. There definitely is something for everyone.

On the foodies notes though, does anyone have this gizmo, and if so, how do you find it?

I have various ways of making yoghurt, but whichever way I do it, I find it hogs the gizmo (IP or whatever) for far too long, so thinking I may submit to this when I get home. My last bespoke yoghurt maker was one of those for making little pots, and way too fiddly for my liking. I also sort of fancy some cheese making too, perchance.
No fancy stuff needed, you can just make it in a thermos flask. Leave a bit in the bottom to start the next batch.

Reactions: zauberflote

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The best, simplest and easiest yog maker I have ever come across is the Easi-Yo one.
The powdered yog kits they sell to go along with the maker are rather expensive, but I used to make up batches with milk, a tablespoon of powdered milk, and a couple of tablespoons of the last batch to act as a starter culture. Delicious.

All you need is the yog maker flask thing, a kettle full of boiling water, and 6 square inches of counter space to stand the thing for a few hours.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasiYo-Man...ie=UTF8&qid=1551169255&sr=1-2&keywords=easiyo

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Probably one of the few things I don't have from Lakeland.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have security guards in the supermarket / shops here as well.

Except for the Woolies online store where you can browse around in your undies if you feel like it.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/

Edit: Here's the link for Woolies Fresh magazine, ship loads of recipes you will enjoy decarbing.

http://d2g5na3xotdfpc.cloudfront.net/uploads/pdf/WW_January2019_FreshMag_7B3Z274N.pdf
Dwe01us.gif
I'm very fond of Woolies when I'm visiting family in Australia but there again I like Coles too!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on the weight loss @BibaBee and good luck to the fasting group. @shelly262 pleased the Mum trip went well. @DJC3 - I do the same with trains too - take my own food. It makes life a lot easier. So sorry you've caught a cold while you're away though. Bed Sunday 4.9 FBG 4.8. A very busy day yesterday. Early start with the school run again then back to get ready for Aqua fit (more on that shortly).
B. Since I'd moved to the 11 am class I had time for a breakfast. 2 97% GF pork chipolatos, fried egg and 3 rashers of crispy bacon. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Then off to aqua fit.
Aqua was kind of eventful. The stand in didn't appear so we did our own thing with weights/water running etc and all went well until 2 younger females (the full make up/selfie/pastel lycra types) knocked over a glass water bottle at the spa area and in smashed. It was obviously an accident but you have to question what kind of twit takes a glass water bottle in? The problem was their attitude after it happened as the pool had to be closed and everyone out as the clean up for potential glass shards went ahead. All we got out of these madams was a torrent of bad language about how it was ridiculous, everyone's fault except theirs etc while going full speed to try to escape before many more came out of the pool area. Thought we were heading for a punch up. They were told in no uncertain terms about the necessity of cleaning the area properly especially by a mother that had been going to take her baby in. Seeing they were getting no support they stormed off leaving all the Club towels scattered in the changing rooms. There were more than a few complaints about them.
L. Left the battleground to go to M&S , picked up meds from the chemist then home and had a spoonful each of M&S mozzarella pearls, tuna with beans and red onion and anchovies before going to collect boys. Seems to have been a day for fisticuffs! No 1 was in bother but went I got the story I can't say I blame him but in this snowflake world you're not allowed to say so. Involved one of the boys who is trying to earn his stripes in the latest bullying group. No 1 was building something and the other little so and so destroyed it. He pushed him away , rebuilt it and he destroyed it again. When he did it a 3rd time No 1 punched him hard a couple of times which resulted in the trainee bully grabbing him by the hair, banging his head on the desk and kicking him. No 1 not surprisingly fought back which resulted in trainee bully running off and having to be caught and isolated by another teacher. I got the same story from quite a few of the class and they were in no doubt who was at fault and it wasn't No 1. He's been niggling at No 1 for weeks so hopefully a hard thump will deter him in future.
D. After returning boys dinner was a repeat of yesterday for me. Roast pork, homemade apple sauce, celeriac dauphinoise, green beans and a mini cob. Later a few raspberries/blackberries and cream.
Hoping today is more peaceful. No 1, teacher & I had a nice calm chat at early start this morning about better ways to deal with yesterday's incident and I resisted the temptation to say sometimes it is just necessary to give them a thump!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, glass in a swimming pool. Pretty sure that the two in question should have their membership, should they have one, waved under their nose. I suppose for some people, learning points get missed throughout their life. Not their faults though eh?
I really feel for your No 1. My youngest, a quite placid person, was bullied over a two year period in primary school despite visits and the exchange of a number of letters. The school attitude was that bullying did not happen in the school.
My son, who by the way was the tallest human in the school in his last year of primary school, eventually plucked up the courage and flattened the king of the bullies in front of all his bully gang.
After being brought into school to talk about it and what should be done about my son, I produced a file of letters and appointments and told the school to stop hiding their heads in the sand and to take their responsibility of care seriously.
My son was never bullied again as he moved to secondary school.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, glass in a swimming pool. Pretty sure that the two in question should have their membership, should they have one, waved under their nose. I suppose for some people, learning points get missed throughout their life. Not their faults though eh?
I really feel for your No 1. My youngest, a quite placid person, was bullied over a two year period in primary school despite visits and the exchange of a number of letters. The school attitude was that bullying did not happen in the school.
My son, who by the way was the tallest human in the school in his last year of primary school, eventually plucked up the courage and flattened the king of the bullies in front of all his bully gang.
After being brought into school to talk about it and what should be done about my son, I produced a file of letters and appointments and told the school to stop hiding their heads in the sand and to take their responsibility of care seriously.
My son was never bullied again as he moved to secondary school.
He's in the same boat. He was bullied non stop for 2 years and it's taken another 2 years of hard work to try and build his confidence again. Same problem. The school didn't deal with the bullies until eventually they got 7 complaints from different parents about the same children. Even now he and a few others refuse to go out at break especially now the bully group has started up again.
As for that pair yesterday they even had it in the steam room prior to that. I can see us all being bombarded with notices even although the majority of members are not that stupid. We're kind of hoping they wont show their faces again but I doubt it bothers them.

Reactions: zauberflote

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Another beautiful day! We decided to enjoy this glorious weather while it's here by taking the dogs for a run and swim on a beach (them, not us). Everyone had a great time and there was sun enough to sit out in the garden with a glass of wine (dogs had a bone each) when we got home.

Breakfast: Kippers and scrambled eggs

Lunch: Tray of chips (child's portion size) with mushy peas (I know, very naughty, but we were at the seaside....)

Dinner: Seafood salad - variety of prawns, mussels, crab, other stuff

Dessert: Yet more strawberries, this time with cream

Drinks: Another day with not enough fluids

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 those females will maybe be fined for glass in area? One can hope! And wow where were the adults when this No 1 thing was going down? Good for him, say I!
Excellent work @dunelm ! Common sense prevails!