What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Menu sounds delightful. Hope the sore throat is easing. To save posts, has anyone made their own LC tomato ketchup? Plenty of recipes but I don't fancy 100s of failures. I can't lie about my tastes. I really, really like red did dip and some LC foods definitely need it for me. Sod gourmet, I will settle for enjoy but as wholesome as possible. (Prompted by the fact I am just about to eat an omelette - without Tommy K it is like Hamlet without the prince:arghh:

Thank you - I'm feeling much better today.T

I'm sorry I can't help with the Tommy K (my family's name for it as well). I was enjoying the s/f Blend Bros squeezy bottles of it but can't find it anywhere anymore (I loved their sweet chilli sauce as well).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Menu sounds delightful. Hope the sore throat is easing. To save posts, has anyone made their own LC tomato ketchup? Plenty of recipes but I don't fancy 100s of failures. I can't lie about my tastes. I really, really like red did dip and some LC foods definitely need it for me. Sod gourmet, I will settle for enjoy but as wholesome as possible. (Prompted by the fact I am just about to eat an omelette - without Tommy K it is like Hamlet without the prince:arghh:
I've made the diet doctor one before but as usual I change it. I wasn't keen on cloves in it but I increased the paprika.
I also don't use canned tomatoes - I use fresh and vary between santini, plum, san marzano and just simmer away. I have also been known to add red pepper to it.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/ketchup

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another quick catch up before I head off to gym/aqua zumba.

Tuesday

Bed 7 FBG 6.6

B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Was out with SIL who has an amazing eye for bargains in charity shops! Weather is so changeable she wanted a slightly warmer rain jacket. She got a designer one for £5. She also got a fascinator to match her dress for the wedding for £5 and a beaded shoulder stole for £2.95! After we had bunless burger with cheese, mushrooms and salad, a few sweet potato chips and a diet coke. Another americano with cream.
D. Repeated yesterday's adapted eggs Benedict and had the last remaining creme brulee with berries.

@DJC3 - nylon sheets were bad enough but nylon pjs and nylon sheets what a static fest!

Haha I could quite literally light up a room!
I’m so envious of people like your SIL who has the knack of ferreting out bargains. I rummage in charity shops quite often, but usually just find Primark clothes for the same price I could buy them new. I must venture into more affluent areas I think, in the hope of more upmarket cast offs.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've made the diet doctor one before but as usual I change it. I wasn't keen on cloves in it but I increased the paprika.
I also don't use canned tomatoes - I use fresh and vary between santini, plum, san marzano and just simmer away. I have also been known to add red pepper to it.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/ketchup
Thanks @maglil55 I have never found any love for diet doctor but Tommy K is making its absence felt big time. To my cricket addled brain this one seems to be lower carb https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/ketchup but you seem to be pretty sus on the old food front.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook and Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @maglil55 I have never found any love for diet doctor but Tommy K is making its absence felt big time. To my cricket addled brain this one seems to be lower carb https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/ketchup but you seem to be pretty sus on the old food front.
Have you discarded the 57 varieties brand with 50% less sugar and salt? Looks pretty low to me and would probs keep for longer in fridge. Just a thought.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I prefer using fresh tomatoes as canned have a bad habit of having added sugar and on some they leave the stalk bit in which if you don't remove it, can add bitterness to the sauce. This time of year no added sweetness is required but in winter months a little Lakanto classic helps.

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just got time to do Wednesday before school pick up. Bed 6.1 FBG 6.6.

B. Usual TAG with ADOC. Post school run slice of skinny bread with pate pate. I'll need to get another loaf made now.
L. 1/2 a meat'zza from M&S. I wondered why my count was so high for carbs and cals until I noticed I'd entered a whole meat'zza for lunch and dinner!
D. The other half of the meat'zza this time with lettuce, 1/2 avocado, 4 bistro tomatoes and Helmans. No creme brulee left so stuck with 2 bits of G&B mint (I have nowhere near your supply of chocolate @Chook).

Will get Thursday done later. It's a glorious day but need to get the boys back and fed as they are going to get their thick mops cut (they dont know it yet!).

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make it in an Instant Pot but if you dont have one I'll add on how to cook them in an oven at the end.

Ingredients

2 cups double cream (that 240 ml measuring cups)
6 egg yolks (whites can be used to make white egg omelette or low carb meringue using Lakanto sweetener)
3 tablespoons Lakanto classic sweetener
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 teaspoons inulin to caramelise the top.

Method

Simple - put everything in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
Transfer the mix into a jug and pour evenly into 6 4oz ramekins.
Cover each ramekin with a foil hat.

Instant Pot

Put the silicon trivet in the IP and add a cup of water to the IP. Put 3 ramekins (with foil hats) onto the trivet then the next 3 on top but offset them so they sit across 2 of the bottom ramekins.
Put lid on, make sure it is set to full pressure and set it on manual to 9 mins. After 9 mins natural release 10 - 15 mins then quick release any residual pressure.
Remove the ramekins from the IP and allow to cool. Once they have cooled sufficiently refrigerate with the hats on.

To finish when you want to eat them, sprinkle each brulee with 2 teaspoons of inulin and blowtorch it.

OVEN

You'll need a tray that the 6 ramekins can fit in with room for water to come half way up the sides and is able to circulate around them I.e. the ramekins should not be touching.
Set the oven to 350F 170C fan. Prepare as above but the foil hats are not required.
Heat water to hot but not boiling. Put the ramekins in the tray then add the hot water until it is about 1/2 way up the sides of the ramekins.
Carefully put the tray into the middle shelf of the oven. I'd check after 20 mins. The middle of the brulees should be just wobbly. Maximum they should take is 30 mins. When ready, remove the tray from the oven but leave the ramekins in the water bath for at least 1 hr before you remove them to cool completely. Once cool , cover with cling film and refrigerate.
Thank you so much @maglil55. Sounds quite simple so I'll give it a go this weekend :)

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you discarded the 57 varieties brand with 50% less sugar and salt? Looks pretty low to me and would probs keep for longer in fridge. Just a thought.
I need to ensure the food fairy maintains her culinary skills - they may atrophy otherwise.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haha I could quite literally light up a room!
I’m so envious of people like your SIL who has the knack of ferreting out bargains. I rummage in charity shops quite often, but usually just find Primark clothes for the same price I could buy them new. I must venture into more affluent areas I think, in the hope of more upmarket cast offs.
She's incredible. She doesn't even need to rummage. They are almost drawn to her like a magnet. She was eyeing up a grey lace blazer from MANGO which she knew would go with her dress but she was getting cautious with weight for the flights. Even so £6 for the blazer.

PS she's since found another 6 lightweight tops and a bag! She said if it's too much weight she'll donate back to a charity shop.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@ianpspurs not sure about heat affecting me, last year was not measuring. Now test intermittently. better try to find a regular routine for a few days.
Have just done hour to finish topping the orchard, very Screenshot_20180626-203944.png hot work and then helped to carry inside 14 sheets of platerboard. Feeling a bit hot and bothered now, 28C here atm, and expected to rise.
MrS had a go with the strimmer this morning, but there are still a lot of edges need cutting, they can wait until its cooler,
@ianpspurs have discovered the heat does indeed impact on BG, because of eating icecream:greedy:

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast today was just some crackers and cheese with tea. Couldn't be bothered to do anything else.
Lunch - I was bad, bad, bad. Made some chips! (Not many) and had 2 fried eggs with them. Suddenly, I just needed them. I had finally got an appointment with a GP and results were at least promising (Gfr up, no obvious scarring of my liver, bloods fine. He even agreed to see if he could get a c-peptide test done for me and didn't poo poo the idea of low carbing). He didn't know what a c-peptide test was and had to look it up online. At least he has a little more knowledge today than he had yesterday. I guess I was celebrating.

Dinner was going to be a vegetable curry but I was sorting out my kitchen equipment cupboard when my son came in and looked into the part of the cupboard - right down at the bottom - where I can't reach or see. Ouch! It's a strip out, antifungal spray and new paint job. He did suggest that maybe next time I shouldn't leave it 10 years before checking it - cheeky devil! It's no more than 3 years.

Anyway, the kitchen is a disaster area with all the cupboard contents out on working surfaces and table - no space even to chop a few vegetables so it's back to the freezer. There's plenty left, but it is all meat based.

Dinner now is a chicken and vegetable dish in what I assume is a cream and turmeric sauce - that's what it looks like through the polythene.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange food day today.
1000 - after Mrs Miggins decided to stop at the burger van on the top of Birk Brow - two slices of bacon on a paper plate - I refused to eat the plate.

1300 - At our caravan - slim pickings for something low carb - a tin of tuna and a handful of pork scratchings - living la vida loca.

Dinner - just had the pickings of a chicken carcass followed by some kefir, Greek joghurt and some home made granola.

Not that hungry really
Hopefully shouting at the telly tonight will prove amusing.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food today:
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: not hungry but used up fridge leftovers, sliced ham, lettuce, 1 tomato and cheese coleslaw.
Supper: was planned to be roasted med veg but will likely be spinach omelette.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange bright light in the sky today completely put me off my game. A re-feeding and very re-hydrating day - probably drank 10 pints of tea, B=tea. NE1 was W1 Comte - sometime between breakfast and lunch. NE2 was garlic mushroom fluffy omelette. NE3 was some slices of emmental just because they were there during a wander around the kitchen. NE4 was mackerel and avocado salad this evening. Had maybe 3 strawberries and a few raspberries on my walks around the garden. Oh, bought a new house - reduced to clear. The right place, the right time yesterday as the person who reserved it dropped out. Offer accepted today.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing day today, loving the warm weather - managed to take day off and get out for long hike after taking my first libre sensor for its second swim and gym session. Did 25mins in pool this time round and it is fine - next session next Tuesday will take it to 30mins, the advised waterproof limit!
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch flask of coffee and cream on hike
Dinner hm organic pork burger with cheese on top servedwith green salad and small glass of Shiraz followed by hm lc rhubarb fool with extra yoghurt - now in garden appreciating the evening sun with a good book, decaf coffee and three hotel choc 100% choc buttons.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange bright light in the sky today completely put me off my game. A re-feeding and very re-hydrating day - probably drank 10 pints of tea, B=tea. NE1 was W1 Comte - sometime between breakfast and lunch. NE2 was garlic mushroom fluffy omelette. NE3 was some slices of emmental just because they were there during a wander around the kitchen. NE4 was mackerel and avocado salad this evening. Had maybe 3 strawberries and a few raspberries on my walks around the garden. Oh, bought a new house - reduced to clear. The right place, the right time yesterday as the person who reserved it dropped out. Offer accepted today.
Congratulations on the house @ianpspurs great news.