What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't sleep well. Took hours to get off and then kept waking. Finally woke feeling grotty, hot and with a stomach ache, but it all calmed down over a couple of hours

So brunch if ff greek with seeds and blueberries, one chicken thigh

Then arrived at someone's who said "I made a cake for you" so had to have a slice. Tried keeping it very small and had a small piece of blue cheese to stop me wanting any more cake, which seemed to work

Dinner, a pizza made with a fathead dough. Was actually easier than I thought and tasty. Hubby scoffed all his.
Has been a very cheese heavy day but did fit in 3 lots of moderate exercise

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does it taste any different to the ordinary stuff, or is it just the colour?
It does taste different. It's not got the strong "garlic" taste. It's much more subtle. There's a sweetness about it and the texture is different. It does look like garlic gone bad but you use it just as you would a roasted garlic. There are some articles going about that there are various health benefits but goodness knows how much you would have to consume.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 10.4 today. Could be worse.

Water, tea and pills so far. Had to start off with a full dose of Co-codamol today - could barely move but the Co-codamol has had an effect and I am now able to move around a lot more easily.

In a while I will make the cabbage thoran which Bex72 write about. It sounds so good and I am looking forward to it.

Dinner will be a couple of sausages and maybe some scrambled eggs. I have some mushrooms in the fridge as well, so will have them as well.

Em is due to come in on her way home from school this afternoon so it will be her chance to make the apple strudel she was asking about. I will get her to add some vanilla cake crumbs left after the "tea party" (several fairy cakes still in the box). She will probably want to add dried fruit as well - I never liked apple with dried fruit, but I'm not going to be eating it. There will be no cinnamon - her Mum can't take cinnamon, for some reason. Have to think of another spice to use instead. Ginger? Cardamom? Cloves? Have to get Em to try them and decide.

Elder granddaughter is still being kept "stable" and on opiates to reduce her pain. Doctors have acknowledged that the longer she is kept on painkillers and on medicine to stop her feeling sick, the more likely it is that the baby will be born addicted to them and will have to spend some time being weaned off. Sounds ridiculous to me - she is now almost at 36 weeks and the baby should be allright being delivered now. Even if she is small, it would, surely, be better kept in intensive care while she grows, rather than, later in intensive care being weaned off drugs. Her mum has been on steroids to help develop her lungs and put on some weight. We all think it would be better to deliver her now. The hospital doesn't see it that way, obviously. I'm really not sure what we can do. It may be that I am only getting half the story and there may be a good reason for all this.
I do hope things sort out for all your family soon - hugs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 - glad to read your arm is recovering. Our pool is finally reopening but not the gym but pool time is very limited. I also think there is a fair chance we may get a reversal to a total lockdown again due to the increasing cases in the West. @DJC3 - Must visit Iceland again soon for that wild shrimp. I'm still resisting additional DGF for now. @Annb - I do hope you get some answers soon. I've been a bit "crackly" again but it's more to do with having had another cold rather than another relapse. So back to hot showers again. I was tired yesterday but mostly OK today, just a wee bit breathless thanks to the chestiness.
Wednesday - bed 7.4 FBG 7.2 hardly surprising when I feel a bit "off" again.
B. TAG and still on Ryvita thins with a little bit pate and the M&S whipped cheese.
L. DGF lemon and blueberry
D. 2 GF sausages, 2 fried eggs and a few veggie chips. Scoop of Halo Top strawberry cheesecake and raspberries
Thursday - bed 7.1 FBG 6.3.
B. TAG and still Ryvita thins and the M&S whipped cheese.
L. Dairylea triangle and a DGF bakewell. Another TAG.
D. Remaining rissole things I had earlier this week and again with a salad of avocado, tomato, last of the mini mozzarella and a few walnuts.

Feeling a bit in the dumps. We should have been off on our annual get together with all my former workmates and spouses but there really was no choice other than to cancel. A few days in a hotel would have been a welcome escape though.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over roasted veggies with melted grated cheddar followed by Greek yoghurt, peach chia pudding with vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway as it’s our wedding anniversary today, crispy duck, a smidge of sauce, 3 small pancakes and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over roasted veggies with melted grated cheddar followed by Greek yoghurt, peach chia pudding with vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway as it’s our wedding anniversary today, crispy duck, a smidge of sauce, 3 small pancakes and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Bit late but congratulations on your wedding anniversary.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@lucas1986 welcome!
@Annb you have just a little too much stress in your life right now, hugs for everything!
@ianpspurs great commercial! We've been watching a tv game show from 1955, sponsored by Remington (electric shavers and also UNIVAC). My how advertising evolves....
Mrsa2 glad you're improved over your bad night. Hope the grot stays gone!
@maglil55 phooey on the reunion. My high school 50th was cancelled and is now rescheduled Aug 2021-- right in the middle of a fabulous cruise I booked before I ever heard of covid. It would have been the first one I attended....
@Rachox Happy Anniversary!!!!
Food as usual not worth writing home about but I enjoy it and there we have it. Put up 2 strings of orange lights and did another church recording, different church, dear friend's new-this-summer job as music minister, something she was turned down for twice in 5 years at the church we both used to attend. Why, we ask? ......... because she's a, gasp, woman!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Rachox -- Hope you had a wonderful celebration of your wedding anniversary.
@maglil55 -- Hugs for the encroaching cold.
@shelley262 -- Glad your feeling a bit better today.
@DCUKMod -- Your Schweinshaxe looks absolutely delicious.

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two scrambled eggs with spring onion tops and shredded gouda. Four radishes. Some baba ghanoush. About 10g of 88% chocolate.

Dinner: Half a DD keto roll with steak tartare with mayonnaise. A small piece of the egg-liqueur cake. Some dry red wine.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast nut granola and 2 CWC
Rain stopped so washing on and out.
Phone call from a lady who might adopt cat: but she has a dog...
Very bravely phoned the vet and arranged an appointment for Cat this afternoon in French. First time i have deliberately used French on the phone.
CWC
More sorting and tidying.
Lunch boiled four eggs, mashed them and mixed with mayonnaise, had mine on pain Kapnor toast( about 20g carbs) MrSlim had fresh baguette with his. Tea to drink.
Took cat to the vet. Even though his cough has cleared up apparently he is still a very sick cat. Another antibiotic injection and prescription for stronger oral antibiotics. Poor cat had a bad reaction to the injection and I had to stay with him for several hours, so not a lot got done until he started recovering. Then out into the garden to fetch potatoes for dinner, which turned into a digging session. Followed by a raking leaves session.
Dinner ratatouille, pork chop. Cauli and cabbage. Greek yoghurt and strawberries. Two glasses of wine.
Coffee, lemon tea.
We are warned to expect heavy rain and strong winds tonight and I can hear the storm building.
@shelley262 glad your arm is feeling better
@Annb you sound proper poorly, as mum would say. Hope you perk up soon. Wishing a safe and speedy delivery for your grandaughter.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Missed a couple of days again. @Annb hope you get some good news soon. Speedy recovery to all of you not firing on all cylinders. @SlimLizzy I think Cat was very lucky to find you. @Rachox happy anniversary, I havent had any Chinese since dx respect for stopping at few duck pancakes, that would be my problem. I sometimes do stir fry at home typically beef and red pepper strips in oyster sauce but not the same as a takeaway. We do have Indian takeaway, in fact this evening, as Mr PM prefers it. I usually have tandoori chicken or chicken shaslik with cauli bhajee.
Anyway Breakfast yesterday and today my usual slice HiLo toast, butter, lots of tea.
Lunch yesterday was large mug of h/m broccoli & leek soup and a chunk of cheese.
Supper being Firsday was chunky fish fingers and broccoli.
Lunch today will be h/m egg mayo maybe on tiny bit of LC toast and some side salad.
Supper will be Indian t/a if BG low enough will be chicken shaslik with cauli bhajee.
Am eagerly awaiting delivery of Mestemacher bread today hope I like it. Thanks for the heads ip @ianpspurs about it being like HiLo which I am now struggling to get. I just cannot face the day without a slice of toast and gallons of tea, the single most important thing in my restricted eating.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Missed a couple of days again. @Annb hope you get some good news soon. Speedy recovery to all of you not firing on all cylinders. @SlimLizzy I think Cat was very lucky to find you. @Rachox happy anniversary, I havent had any Chinese since dx respect for stopping at few duck pancakes, that would be my problem. I sometimes do stir fry at home typically beef and red pepper strips in oyster sauce but not the same as a takeaway. We do have Indian takeaway, in fact this evening, as Mr PM prefers it. I usually have tandoori chicken or chicken shaslik with cauli bhajee.
Anyway Breakfast yesterday and today my usual slice HiLo toast, butter, lots of tea.
Lunch yesterday was large mug of h/m broccoli & leek soup and a chunk of cheese.
Supper being Firsday was chunky fish fingers and broccoli.
Lunch today will be h/m egg mayo maybe on tiny bit of LC toast and some side salad.
Supper will be Indian t/a if BG low enough will be chicken shaslik with cauli bhajee.
Am eagerly awaiting delivery of Mestemacher bread today hope I like it. Thanks for the heads ip @ianpspurs about it being like HiLo which I am now struggling to get. I just cannot face the day without a slice of toast and gallons of tea, the single most important thing in my restricted eating.
I really hope that bread lives up to your expectations. I remember being heartbroken by the hideous aftertaste from DGF millionaires shortbread recommended by someone here - good job they were minute. I suspect our definitions of an adequate tea intake may be slightly different - I measure mine by lakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All,

i think it is amusing that I can barely remember what I ate yesterday.

vague recollections of

B: lc hot choc
L: .... nope... getting nothing there... oooh hold on! Salmon in goastmilk yog with steak spices ground over.
D: roast lamb. Far too lean. Not satisfying, but I went to bed early and fell asleep before the dissatisfaction turned into fridge raiding.

also some Lindt. Too much choc in one day (and likely to do same today). Unfortunate, but needs must. ;)

likely to have the second half of the chicken livers in garlic and cream today for lunch, and pork chops (oh the lack of joy!) this evening. None of it set in stone.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really hope that bread lives up to your expectations. I remember being heartbroken by the hideous aftertaste from DGF millionaires shortbread recommended by someone here - good job they were minute. I suspect our definitions of an adequate tea intake may be slightly different - I measure mine by lakes.
Lol..tea lakes! It wont be used for anything other than toast so that gives it a head start in the taste stakes. I like my bit of toast quite brown, cooled and with a slab of very good quality salted butter. Sorry about the millionaire shortcakes though. I am with you on cream cheese too but just dont understand avocado even though I sometimes have it :***: Its the texture because I dont like smoked salmon unless in tiny canapes.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol..tea lakes! It wont be used for anything other than toast so that gives it a head start in the taste stakes. I like my bit of toast quite brown, cooled and with a slab of very good quality salted butter. Sorry about the millionaire shortcakes though. I am with you on cream cheese too but just dont understand avocado even though I sometimes have it :***: Its the texture because I dont like smoked salmon unless in tiny canapes.
I can eat cream cheese on it's own but when it appears in cooked food I refuse like a horse at a fence it won't jump. You seem to have A1c and food choices off pat . I'm in a worse place than ever in some ways. There is no cooked keto food we have tried which at one time or another hasn't left Julie in agony. One version of celeriac dauphinoise was excrutiating for days. Cooking a batch or bigger meal for me and freezing or putting in the fridge wouldn't work . It would just stay there until thrown away I don't really do reheated. Enjoy the toast.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary yesterday. Hope it all went well and that you both had a good time.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 12.5. I have never thought that I suffered from stress - other people have thought that I did - mainly doctors, but they were always proved wrong. But with my BG still so consistently high, I am beginning to wonder. When I think of it, there is quite a lot going on.

Breakfast: a small serving of the dauphinoise, which I had baked with a streaky bacon topping and a fried egg. The rest of the dauphinoise is portioned up and in the freezer. I didn't keep the fish for breakfast - I couldn't sleep, after all, and got up to have the rest of it during the night.

Later I will, I hope, make the cabbage thoran. Not promising myself anything. Must also do something with the red cabbage. Shan't pickle it - I still have some from my last pickling event. As long as I can stay on my feet today, I should manage to do something.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@SlimLizzy is the dog a deal-breaker? Brava en Français did I spell that right...? and so sorry for poor kitty.
@PenguinMum and @ianpspurs I am suspecting that the avocado you try is much different from what I could eat all day. There is a texture issue, but I'd say it's enough like butter that you might like it on toast? Not trying to force you-- the less you eat, all the more for me!!
@Annb I don't think of stress as something one suffers from-- any happening in life is a stressor of good, neutral, or bad variety. For me, playing a concert is stressful (perfection! Audience! Keep the job! Conductors who can't beat their way out of a wet paper bag!) but it's a good stress because I'm a born performer. Getting up in the middle of the night with a sleepless child, bad stress. Worries over children and grands-- bad stress. My view anyway...
Food:
I am going to have to figure out how to combine avocado, pecans, eggs, and flax meal into a muffin, so I can eat a much less messy breakfast on go-to-grandson's-days.
There will be lunch. Maybe a dill pickle/cheese slice rollito if any pickles in fridge.
Supper is too far off the think about, and since I'll get home just in time for 5:30 barre class, no time for fancy food. Definitely spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soymilk. Maybe a coconut macaringue.
I definitely like the meringue part of these coconut tidbits, but the original concept was for pecans not coconut. Recipe calls for ground pecans which I've tried to make, with gooey pecan butter results. So, maybe try not macaroons but meringues, egg whites, a little erythritol, almond flour, and loads of coarsely chopped pecans. No guilt pecan snack!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like my toast close to cremated! There's something about the charcoal like taste. Teeth brushing required after though.