What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SilverK

Breakfast : Lizza low carb roll, toasted with butter and marmite, coffee with milk and da Vinci sugar free caramel syrup. (18g carbs)
Lunch: Lizza toastie with cheese, coffee with milk and s/f caramel and 25g almonds. (17g carbs)
Dinner: roast chicken, sprouting broccoli and green salad. Low carb skyr yogurt. (17g carbs)
Boring

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems there is a deep collective knowledge here about low-carb bread options, but has anyone tried this one? "Easy" and "two minute" attracted my interest. I'll try it out soon.

https://www.thedietchefs.com/easy-keto-bread-recipe/

Those mentions of pate reminded me that I haven't made my sardine "pate" for a while - turned me into a sardine convert!:
tin of sardines (drained); 1tbsp chopped spring onions, 1 tbsp drained capers; 1tbsp of good low-sugar mayonnaise; 1tbsp lemon juice; quarter tsp garlic powder or minced garlic; 30g (1oz) of cream cheese. Gives me 2 serves, about 2gnet carb per serve to have e.g. in celery sticks - or if you've found some suitable crackers or something for toast!

Anyway, ACTUAL food day:
Very late lunch: Okonomiyaki (Japanese vegetable 'pancakes') - but no flour, green leaf salad, 2 x keto-friendly coffees
Late Dinner: protein meal shake + psyllium, 22.5g SF dark mint chocolate, stevia hot chocolate.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@MrsA2 do you suppose it was a carb migraine? Glad short-lived!
@SilverK welcome to the thread! My lists are boring too but I enjoy my food. If I were to find it boring I would have my head checked lol. Since my mid 20's I have eaten three breakfasts-- the one I have now is actually similar to the other two, which were similar to each other! I am a fan of that first bite. I do wish all these good LC breads in the UK/Europe were available here for me to try...
@OzBlossom for your flourless torte, do you flour-ize your own nuts or buy meal?

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,
Dinner: Eating out. Some Breton fish soup (tasted like bouillabaise) with gruyere and sauce rouille. A small plate of spicy ground lamb/beef on hummus) and a few pomegranate seeds. Was disappointed in the main course, which was supposed to be lamb with pumkin and fennel, but mostly contained potatoes (which weren't listed on the menu) -- they were very accommodating though and let me replace this with a cheese platter. One and a half glasses of chardonnay. Enjoyed the food overall, but unfortunately this enjoyment was a little hampered because my husband hated it.

Sorry the dinner out had disappointing bits after all that time!
Just been hearing this morning more about Boris directing the latest, broadUK lockdown. Hope you all in the UK go well.

Reactions: zauberflote

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 do you suppose it was a carb migraine? Glad short-lived!
@SilverK welcome to the thread! My lists are boring too but I enjoy my food. If I were to find it boring I would have my head checked lol. Since my mid 20's I have eaten three breakfasts-- the one I have now is actually similar to the other two, which were similar to each other! I am a fan of that first bite. I do wish all these good LC breads in the UK/Europe were available here for me to try...
@OzBlossom for your flourless torte, do you flour-ize your own nuts or buy meal?

I have to buy hazelnut meal as I don't have a processor that would do a good job of it - - maybe one day I'll own such a beast! The recipe goes well with normal nut meal though, so I don't think it needs to be superfine. Was thinking about pasting the converted recipe in here, but I think it would take up a lot of room. Here's a link to one version of it BEFORE being made sugar free. I tracked down about 6 variations of the recipe - similar but not identical. I would follow one original recommendation (not mentioned in this recipe below) which was to lightly toast the nutmeal before use.

http://jewishfood-list.com/recipes/dessert/bonvivant01.html

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
oops ...forgot the food

Breakfast at 10am - 2 warm boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. 2 squares of 90% dark lindtt chocolate with peanut butter on top washed down with a mug of earl grey

Dinner at 6pm - 2 slices of slc bread with ham, cheese and coleslaw, mug of earl grey. Some doner meat, a few chips and some tandoori chicken from son's takeaway munchie box - I resisted the garlic bread! ;)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@OzBlossom I put that in my CopyMeThat for further work. What did you use for sweetener? And toasting the nut meal is so brilliant that it should be required! Much less "raw nut" flavor.
Which is worse- the fat glossy-coated live bat I found huddled on my staircase about this time last night, or the possum I just chased away from the patio? Neither is good to eat. Neither is good for cats, one of whom vanquished a huge possum 13 years ago when he was in his prime. Either might be rabid, but neither behaved nor looked so. Ugh.
Supper turned out to be a free-for-all involving the Costco order I'd gad delivered. I cannot get out of that store for under $200, but this time it was $300. No matter WHAT happens, I've got 16 lb of butter! I ate some macadamias, and tried my first Whisps, parmesan flavor. They are easier to eat than Moon Cheese because smaller. That's dangerous.... the grapes had to be washed immediately (somehow I thought that would be a better way to deal with them than to wipe down the clamshell with a sanitizjng wipe. I don't know where my brain was. ) then there was one last piece of the "Greek" chicken, and while the grapes continued to leer at me, spinach. Flax crisps up next. Time changes tonight-- I have an extra hour to digest before bed!

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@OzBlossom I put that in my CopyMeThat for further work. What did you use for sweetener? And toasting the nut meal is so brilliant that it should be required! Much less "raw nut" flavor.
Which is worse- the fat glossy-coated live bat I found huddled on my staircase about this time last night, or the possum I just chased away from the patio? Neither is good to eat. Neither is good for cats, one of whom vanquished a huge possum 13 years ago when he was in his prime. Either might be rabid, but neither behaved nor looked so. Ugh.
Time changes tonight-- I have an extra hour to digest before bed!

A live bat on your stairs! :eek: Good grief.

I've been trying a few different sugar substitutes, but in this recipe, I used Swerve (erythritol base) which I think when I first bought it, I had it shipped in via iHerb, but it's now available in Australia and looks like should be easy to get in both USA and UK.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote I love Whisps. My case is usually full of them when I return from the States! Salivating now and very jealous. That said, a half shoulder of lamb awaits later.

Reactions: zauberflote

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - 1 slc bacon & egg doubler roll with a little 50% less sugar & salt ketchup washed down with a mug of earl grey tea (well it is the weekend and my day off - worked yesterday - starting at 6am tomorrow - ouch! - 1st time I have started at that time in over 35 years of working - I will have to go to bed early tonight - I'll probably not sleep scared in case I sleep in! and eh I am not a morning person more a night hawk so it will be a different and interesting shift for me tomorrow)

Dinner (will be) - breast of chicken and large potobello mushroom stuffed with garlic and cheese and a little side salad.

Working today (unpaid) in the house playing catchup - cleaning bathroom and hoovering etc. from top to bottom - don't mind too much as it is not very nice outside a bit wet and windy here and not much else happening/I am able to do at the moment (restaurants etc. still closed here) I do miss Sunday lunch out.

Enjoy what is left of the weekend everyone!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Haven't posted for a couple of days -- being out and having fun (also slacked on the exercise).

Thank you so very much for your birthday wishes all, @ianpspurs, @zauberflote, @Goonergal, @Annb, @PenguinMum, @DCUKMod, @maglil55, @DJC3, @OzBlossom, and @Mrs T 123. This definitely made my day.

@DJC3 -- Kind of wondered in which way you notice the taste of psyllium husk? Tbh, I am not sure I noticed one way or another or probably don't remember what bread without the psyllium tastes like.

@DJC3. Never tried monkfruit as a sweetener. How does it taste like compared to erythritol? And what is Brussels pate -- made from Brussels sprouts?

@maglil55 -- Yes, going into partial lockdown again is definitely a drag. Just hope it helps -- so far the results of lockdowns across Europe don't seem to be great as numbers continue to rise across all countries.

@zauberflote -- Just wondered what foods are difficult for you (can't be tolerated)?

Food on Thursday ...

Breakfast: Double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. (Also received my parcel with low-carb goodies), so had half a package of chicken crisps (12g, taste is so-so, nothing to write home about, probably because they quite low fat too, but will be good to use with dips). Also hat ordered two fatt bars (salt caramel), which were fantastic. Also tried some of the mandarine orange chocolate, which was also good, but not fantastic.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Eating out. Some Breton fish soup (tasted like bouillabaise) with gruyere and sauce rouille. A small plate of spicy ground lamb/beef on hummus) and a few pomegranate seeds. Was disappointed in the main course, which was supposed to be lamb with pumkin and fennel, but mostly contained potatoes (which weren't listed on the menu) -- they were very accommodating though and let me replace this with a cheese platter. One and a half glasses of chardonnay. Enjoyed the food overall, but unfortunately this enjoyment was a little hampered because my husband hated it.

Haha no, Brussels pate doesn’t contain sprouts! I assume it originated in Brussels. It’s a smooth pork pate.
I’m not sure what the taste or smell of psyllium husk is - I just know I notice it but it’s not unpleasant and doesn’t put me off, it’s just there. I’d definitely have this walnut flour bread again though, it’s a really good bready texture and was wonderful for mopping up my stew the other evening.
The monkfruit sweetener @maglil55 put me onto is this https://mydiet-shop.co.uk/-sweeteners/1279-lakanto-golden-monk-fruit-sweetener.html I don’t like the after taste of erythritol but this doesn’t have that effect. It’s worth the price for me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They sold out in 10 mins! They've employed another member of staff and got a bigger oven apparently.

I think it’s due to their new DGF chat Facebook group where they are giving prior notice. I managed to get some of the not carrot cakes this time, plus the raspberry bakewells and more of my favourite butterscotch pecan blondies. Had a rummage in the freezer to make space and discovered 5 boxes of various flavours I still have!!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday’s food before I forget-
Boot camp cancelled because of the weather but he put the exercises on Facebook so we did it at home and so still earned our bacon sandwich afterwards. ( in the Dr Almond walnut flour bread)
Lunch 2 chicken drumsticks 1 pack Cheesies and about 30g Montezuma’s Absolute black with orange.
Dinner h/m burger with 2 slices Emmental and salad of spinach and avocado. 1 spoon coleslaw. DGF raspberry bakewell and cream.
IMG_3981.jpg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
@zauberflote the “petrified” lamb really made me laugh. Lamb is my favourite meat but I only eat it maybe once a fortnight as Mr PM not keen unless its liver, which I hate. Mostly we eat chicken or fish with occasional steak mince (chilli or Ragu). I am also quite happy to have a couple of non meat or fish days in the week like omelette or roasted Med veg chunks.
Today we are having roast chicken, celeriac mash and broccoli for me and Mr PM has requested potato mash and baked beans. We had a brunch of bacon and eggs around 12. Lovely visit from youngest son for coffee time ahead of not being able to see each other when lockdown starts this Thursday. They are getting their Cocker Spaniel puppy on Wed instead of next Sat to stay within the rules. In case the lockdown gets extended beyond start of Dec I gave him his box of edibles for Christmas that I have been putting together for both boys including h/m sticky fig chutney. Included cheesey Dreamies for the kitten but nothing for the puppy as thought I had more time! If everything goes well they will come over Christmas Eve for an hour or so outside around the fire pit.
There will be a lot of FB and Zoom between us in any case.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all, OMAD? today. B= A lake of TWAM; 11:.00 am ish; CWC and 40 gms Dr Almond, almond chocolate;. EM: Pork belly (favourite cut of pork and last of that from lockdown 1's half pig), roasted veggies (celery, radish, cherry toms, mushrooms, broccoli), gravy, (normies) glass Rioja - bottle had been open at least all October, still some left. Muted celebration of Tuesday’s wedding anniversary. It was good food, cooked with love and care but basically functional. It never quite reached the parts acv vinaigrette or salmon salad reaches but did everything meat can do just now. I feel guilty about that as a pig died for my meal and all I can muster is a Meh.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Hugs for the early shift @Mrs T 123 , although that sort of start would suit me perfectly - I have problems being alert at the other end of the day. Also need to do some of that cleaning stuff, not least because I have plumbers coming on Wednesday to fix my shower.

TMAD today. First meal was unplanned. Hit the Islington end of the Regent’s Canal and decided to check out the Hotel Chocolat close by. Never looked closely before (it’s relatively new) as I’m usually passing very early or in a rush. Turned out it’s a cafe branch and it was only 2 mins to opening time. Cue 85% hot chocolate with the delicious whip on top.

Dinner was lamb shoulder. Cooked in the conventional oven and delicious. Plenty of crispy skin and really hit the spot. Followed by 3 Hotel Chocolat 85% batons.

73178EED-2FCA-45D1-AA39-939DD1237D4D.jpeg
57AE7122-4140-447F-A466-AFBF3D2E4B37.jpeg