What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 the charcuterie house is amazing, I might have a go at a charcuterie shed at Christmas. My son posted me photos of mince pies he made and mulled wine which he was sharing with his house mates while watching The Grinch last night. He has always been Mr Christmas. CALL OUT is there a LC recipe for mulled wine that works? @maglil55 ? If we get a dry Christmas Eve we plan to sit out around the fire pit with son, GF and her parents and mugs of mulled wine would be great.
Have lots of jobs today. Just had my HiLo toast, on second mug of tea.
Lunch will be fried mushrooms, tomatoes and eggs, repeat of yesterday which was so yummy. Then making individual cottage pies for this evening with celeriac mash for mine. Might mix up Christmas cake for my brother and get it in the oven. The fruit has been soaking in brandy for days now.

Lol a charcuterie shed! That would definitely be more my style too
I think a lot of people ( us included) are starting Christmas early this year to try and bring a bit of cheerfulness. Well done to your done for kicking it off.
I’ll be all eyes for lc mulled wine suggestions - couldn’t you just substitute the sugar for a bit of sweetener and go heavy on the cinnamon and orange zest?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 the charcuterie house is amazing, I might have a go at a charcuterie shed at Christmas. My son posted me photos of mince pies he made and mulled wine which he was sharing with his house mates while watching The Grinch last night. He has always been Mr Christmas. CALL OUT is there a LC recipe for mulled wine that works? @maglil55 ? If we get a dry Christmas Eve we plan to sit out around the fire pit with son, GF and her parents and mugs of mulled wine would be great.
Have lots of jobs today. Just had my HiLo toast, on second mug of tea.
Lunch will be fried mushrooms, tomatoes and eggs, repeat of yesterday which was so yummy. Then making individual cottage pies for this evening with celeriac mash for mine. Might mix up Christmas cake for my brother and get it in the oven. The fruit has been soaking in brandy for days now.
Mulled wine should be pretty easy as most of the ingredients are not an issue. A good dry red plus brandy - no problem. You just have to minimise the fruit and change the sugar. Personally I'd use Monk Fruit classic and rather than put orange in use orange essence at the end when it's "mulled". Few cranberries won't do much harm. Flavour comes from the spices - cloves, star anise, cinnamon sticks. You could even add a vanilla pod.
The trick I discovered is warm it really slowly and don't let it come to a boil. Discovered making LC Baileys you have to watch the warming process like a hawk. Just thinking, mulled wine in a slow cooker could work?
Simple answer, use any mulled wine recipe, strip out the fruit and sugar, sub with monk fruit classic and orange essence added at the very end and add your spices in their original form.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mulled wine should be pretty easy as most of the ingredients are not an issue. A good dry red plus brandy - no problem. You just have to minimise the fruit and change the sugar. Personally I'd use Monk Fruit classic and rather than put orange in use orange essence at the end when it's "mulled". Few cranberries won't do much harm. Flavour comes from the spices - cloves, star anise, cinnamon sticks. You could even add a vanilla pod.
The trick I discovered is warm it really slowly and don't let it come to a boil. Discovered making LC Baileys you have to watch the warming process like a hawk. Just thinking, mulled wine in a slow cooker could work?
Simple answer, use any mulled wine recipe, strip out the fruit and sugar, sub with monk fruit classic and orange essence added at the very end and add your spices in their original form.

Low carb Baileys!!! I’d forgotten all about that- It was so delicious.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Haven't posted in a few days -- the new semester has started a week ago and lots of stuff to iron out. Will also have to post some virtual lectures today as I didn't get to it during the week (and then some leftover grading).

@Annb -- It's so good to see you back posting regularly again. Hugs for the contradictory advice from GP and nurse. Glad the medication is helping re your lungs.
@Bex72 -- Have you had a look at the Cavalier chocolate brand. It's sweetened with Stevia and has received some good reviews -- haven't tried it myself though. Still a bit higher carb than some of the really cocoa content ones.
@maglil55 -- Hugs for feeling down -- hope you are feeling a bit better today.
@PenguinMum -- In Germany, we have Glühwein (which would translate into something like "glow wine" and is very similar to mulled wine). I've made a low carb version of this a couple of years ago and it turned out really well. Let us know how it goes.
@OzBlossom -- Am looking forward to a report on the Lakanto.
@zauberflote -- Congrats on finally having a decision on the elections, though I am sure there still be a few challenges in court in the next few weeks.
@donnellysdogs -- Great to see you posting again -- hadn't seen you on the forum for quite some time -- welcome back.

Will be posting the meals of the past few days in another post to not make this one too long.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb Baileys!!! I’d forgotten all about that- It was so delicious.
Recipe is on CMT. Maybe that's what I need to buck me up? Make some LC Baileys? Screenshots for non CMT users
Screenshot_20201108-110709_Copy%20Me%20That.jpg
Screenshot_20201108-110735_Copy%20Me%20That.jpg

Reactions: DJC3 and ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recipe is on CMT. Maybe that's what I need to buck me up? Make some LC Baileys? Screenshots for non CMT users View attachment 45250View attachment 45251
I should add the extra 50 mls of cream is basically if you don't find it the right flavour with the 50/50 mix of Jamiesons and cream. Add extra cream slowly until you get the taste right for you. Personally I like the 50/50 mix. I made 3 bottles last Christmas and they didn't survive long (I hasten to add No, I didn't drink all 3!). I've also tried different whisky but Jamiesons is definitely the best.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. About 20g of 88% chocolate.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with steak tartare and h/m mayo.

Dinner: A chunk of cheese, some turkey salami, two bites of my husband's steak, and more chocolate. Dry red wine.

A multi-hour cooking spray in the middle of the night, including some guacamole, baba ghanoush, tuna salad with celery, and waffles (zucchini, goat cream cheese, onions, a bit of carrot (one divided by 7 waffles), eggs, feta, baking powder, oat fiber, potato fiber, psyllium, nigella, caraway, salt and pepper).

Below a photo of the waffles:

upload_2020-11-8_12-32-33.jpeg

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The day before yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Two chicken drumsticks (marinated in soy sauce, garlic and cinnamon and then roasted).

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with h/m mayonnaise and shrimps.

Dinner: Chicken crisps dunked in creme fraiche and in baba ghanoush. Some turkey salami. Dry red wine.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tabouleh.jpg
Thursday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Lamb's lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing and parmesan. Three lamb chops.

Dinner: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and shrimps. Baba ghanoush. 88% chocolate. Dry red wine.

Also wanted to post a photo of the caulflower tabouleh, I made last week:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings all. This is where I'm heading today. B= Mucho TWAM; Dockey: Almond milk latte with SF caramel syrup - hold the choc; L= Skinnybread toast, chicken liver and Calvados parfait, cuc and salad leaves, acv sprinkled - tea; EM: A new one, mackerel and avocado salad - may be a keeper. I couldn’t find the bourbon last night so had to make do with Martell - meh. @DJC3 the charcuterie house looks almost tempting but I know it would go to waste - (and waist?). @zauberflote , I have several varieties of bourbon but not JD - rather common dontcha know. @MrsA2 I used to really like millionaires shortbread until DGF ruined that (MS was the inspiration for the infamous CCB) but what the ? is almond doing in there?. @maglil55 hug for the low mood. Hope the baileys cheers you up but it does seem an unforgivable waste of Jamiesons unless it is the cheaper version.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings all. This is where I'm heading today. B= Mucho TWAM; Dockey: Almond milk latte with SF caramel syrup - hold the choc; L= Skinnybread toast, chicken liver and Calvados parfait, cuc and salad leaves, acv sprinkled - tea; EM: A new one, mackerel and avocado salad - may be a keeper. I couldn’t find the bourbon last night so had to make do with Martell - meh. @DJC3 the charcuterie house looks almost tempting but I know it would go to waste - (and waist?). @zauberflote , I have several varieties of bourbon but not JD - rather common dontcha know. @MrsA2 I used to really like millionaires shortbread until DGF ruined that (MS was the inspiration for the infamous CCB) but what the ? is almond doing in there?. @maglil55 hug for the low mood. Hope the baileys cheers you up but it does seem an unforgivable waste of Jamiesons unless it is the cheaper version.
Nope, it's the real McCoy. Prepare for sacrilege...I loath whisky & brandy but turning it into Baileys (or brandy Alexander when Tia Maria/Kaluha were permissable) made them drinkable. I'm teaching myself to like Irish Coffee.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew you would know! It makes perfect sense to just replace the sugar with sweetener. Good tip about the orange essence. I suppose some orange peelings wouldnt be carby and might dial the flavour up. I like the idea of a few cranberries floating around too. That Baileys sounds very doable too ....how long does it keep for in the fridge (before it goes “off” not how quickly you drink it lol.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew you would know! It makes perfect sense to just replace the sugar with sweetener. Good tip about the orange essence. I suppose some orange peelings wouldnt be carby and might dial the flavour up. I like the idea of a few cranberries floating around too. That Baileys sounds very doable too ....how long does it keep for in the fridge (before it goes “off” not how quickly you drink it lol.

Lidl are doing a "no sugar added" mulled wine this year. I bought some a couple of weeks to give it a try, but I can't find it! There are only 2 of us in the house, and my OH swears it hasn't passed his lips - not that I expected he'd had drunk it.

Anyway, it can't have been too bad, or it wouldn't have come home with me.

I have to go to Lidl tomorrow, so if I see it again, I'll take a pic of the label. If I discover it in the intervening time, I'll post again

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope, it's the real McCoy. Prepare for sacrilege...I loath whisky & brandy but turning it into Baileys (or brandy Alexander when Tia Maria/Kaluha were permissable) made them drinkable. I'm teaching myself to like Irish Coffee.
So as not to derail I've PMd - ignore if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you back here @ziggy_w

Not sure whether I’ll achieve OMAD, but not long finished a rather large meal.

Cooked a chicken in the airfryer and ate a leg and a wing, plus the skin from the breast (hot crispy skin is sooo much nicer than cold skin) and a slice of carnivore stuffing. Haven’t made that for a while. Delicious and likely to make another appearance at Christmas. Followed by 2 squares melted Waitrose 1 90% and some extra thick double cream.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl are doing a "no sugar added" mulled wine this year. I bought some a couple of weeks to give it a try, but I can't find it! There are only 2 of us in the house, and my OH swears it hasn't passed his lips - not that I expected he'd had drunk it.

I have to go to Lidl tomorrow, so if I see it again, I'll take a pic of the label. If I discover it in the intervening time, I'll post again
Thanks for the kind thought but I am not going into supermarkets so wouldnt be able to get it anyway! I do hope you enjoy it though.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's only ever lasted a week in our abode as once I make it - it gets consumed! Quickest consumption was 2 days! It's still fine after a week. I always make sure it's the longest dated cream I can find to make it.
Orange peel helps but you might need to up the sugar substitute amount as the pith may add some bitterness.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes please do that would be helpful- I will look out for it

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - A charcuterie house? Very tempting. Going back to my homeless person I did say to my Hubby only I could manage to find a fussy homeless person! It was beautiful lobster too. It was just way too big. MrsA2 (or was it Mrs T 123?) I'd never even noticed Irn Bru extra before. Question is, with zero calories & sugar, does it still taste like Irn Bru? @zauberflote, the fireworks. It's to remember Guy Fawkes and the gunpowder plot. He was involved in the conspiracy to blow up Parliament with everyone in it (including King James I , his wife & son) on 5 November 1605. It failed and it's been marked ever since by setting of fireworks & burning a "Guy". Trouble is the fireworks go on for days! Flaming things are still going off now. Son & DIL dog is a quivering wreck.
B. TAG
L. After running about for hours! A SLC sandwich with egg mayo again (having replenished my stock).
D. Rose veal liver, 4 rashers streaky bacon, fried tomato, fried egg and veggie chips. DGF lemon and blueberry with raspberries and a dash of cream.

I'm still down in the dumps. I think a lot of it is the ridiculous situation we're in which is certainly not following science. We have next to no infections and no deaths yet we're lumped into the same level as Glasgow/Lanarkshire who are accounting for the vast amount of infections/deaths. It just makes me very angry.
Virtual hugs - I think everyone is getting really fed up with all of this now and we would all just like to go back to how it was before ...

Reactions: maglil55