What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 - loved the video especially the bit "looks like something they dragged from the sea". Yes, it's a fish. They live there. Also liked the look of your stuffed peppers/tomatoes. Is the tuna filling the Diet Doctor one that they use for the tuna melts on Oopsie bread?
@Goonergal - lamb ribs look really tasty. I can almost taste them.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I rubbed a bit of olive oil over it first and sprinkled s&p Spread out on a bit of kitchen roll and microwaved for 3 mins. I checked at 2 mins but it was just shrunken and damp at that at that point. By 3 mins it was crispy and delicious. I could easily eat it as a snack watching tv in the evening.
I’ve previously tried boiling it and sautéing it but haven’t really liked it cooked in those ways.
My son air fries it with pancetta, chopped garlic and rock salt.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have missed several days reporting my food. I am not enjoying eating atm due to struggling to get my BG levels back in line. I am sticking to “safe” food but all I really want is soup and toast and tea. All I can report is the last few days I have had a lot of cauliflower. The farm shop box sent the largest cauliflower I have ever seen too much just to rice lol
I'd suggest mushroom soup with a good strong stock (I use chicken). Add cream when you heat to eat it. This LC roasted tomato one is pretty good too.

www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/5-ingredient-roasted-tomato-soup-low-carb-gluten-free/

Reactions: OzBlossom

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Air frying sounds like a good call too. My airfryer is kept in a cupboard to save limited counter space, so I find the microwave method quick and easy and energy efficient. I was surprised it worked so well - I assumed it would just make the kale go tough and leathery.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's given me a Christmas idea now. I used to adore cocoa dusted almonds and it's twigged a LC version is simple. Shelled almonds, coat in a suitably high cocoa content melted chocolate and dust with sugar free cocoa.

Almost anything would work in the middle - brazils, walnuts, ginger (if it can be neutralised a bit), pineapple (Obviously a chocolate would only contain a very small amount). I'm even wondering if a very cold ball of fat bomb would stay firm enough to set the chocolate before melting itself.

I bet with monkfruit sweetener, or inulin, Florentines could also be on the agenda. I have neither inulin or monkfruit sweetener. I don't even have a sweet tooth - exception being the chocolate coated ginger. I just have a fertile imagination!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Air frying sounds like a good call too. My airfryer is kept in a cupboard to save limited counter space, so I find the microwave method quick and easy and energy efficient. I was surprised it worked so well - I assumed it would just make the kale go tough and leathery.

When airfried, the kale swirls around the AF cavity, as if a hurricane hit town. No need to ask how I know this.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd suggest mushroom soup with a good strong stock (I use chicken). Add cream when you heat to eat it. This LC roasted tomato one is pretty good too.

www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/5-ingredient-roasted-tomato-soup-low-carb-gluten-free/
@PenguinMum I also meant to add that I make a chicken and vegetable soup to which I add cauliflower rice (sorry!). @DCUKMod - I'd forgotten about the whole baked cauliflower. It is seriously tasty. I like a spicy version. I've used this one but I do give the cauli a rub with olive oil and I mix the spices through a natural yoghurt.

https://thefitchen.com/whole-roasted-curry-cauliflower/

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - I too had a DGF bakewell while watching Bake Off. I still have 4 left & 2 lemon and blueberry. @DCUKMod - son's is one of these Tefal one's with the paddle so they stay in their confined space.
Tuesday bed 6.8 FBG 6.9.
B. TAG and yes another SLC sandwich this time with ox tongue and whipped cheese.
L. Nothing.
D. Using up stuff! Prawn cocktail, lettuce, avocado, tomato, M&S mini mozzarella, baby beet. DGF bakewell with a few raspberries.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My insides have been behaving reasonably since my colonoscopy (not well, but reasonably), I guess because my insides were getting a rest from processing food and enjoying it. But that can't last forever, so the old problems are back now that food is in transit through the system. So:

Nothing so far today except tea, and a small glass of soda water which promptly made me feel worse. I will have to eat though, and it is all calming down again a bit so I will have some smoked mackerel (nice and salty, that always helps) and some cucumber (the only other veggies available are a couple of avocados and some cabbage. Don't like cole slaw in any form and I can't get my head around the idea of smoked mackerel and avocado. Just remembered, I have some jars of pickled cabbage in the fridge. Some of that would do.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Promised yesterday I think to share my recipe for my lc bread - an ambition to produce a less processed version than you can buy. its very close on ingredients to the SLC bread but no palm oil as uses butter instead and I tend to buy organic ingredients if possible however the gluten means that it is only for those of you who, like me, are lucky enough not to react to gluten. It freezes and toasts very well and isn't cheap however it is a large loaf and I tend to use only one or two slices a day from freezer. It tastes very much like bread despite the number of eggs used it doesnt taste eggy in my opinion! Worth a try if you are feeling inspired to try baking after watching Bake Off - as I was!
IMG_8804.JPG
IMG_8803.JPG

Low carb bread using vital wheat gluten and inulin to ‘feed’ the yeast

I used a stand mixer to knead the bread mixture. I used a loaf tin 30cms in length and 11cms in width you could use two small tin if prefer. I also used a bread slicer to cut the bread into even slices. Bread freezes well once cut into slices I tend to pack small batches of slices together kept separate by kitchen towel pieces.

Carb content of the whole mixture is a max of 30g per loaf – I managed to slice the loaf into 23 reasonable size slices which worked out as 1.3g per slice if you go thinner carb content per slice will reduce.

Yeast starter - Start 30 -40 mins before making the bread

I and a quarter cups of warm water

I tablespoon of inulin dissolved in the warm water

15g (3 teaspoons) of dried yeast (traditional – not fast acting) sprinkled on the water and cover with cling film

While it is proving

3 eggs – beaten together with a Pinch of salt and put to one side

in a mixer bowl add:

Half a cup - or 70g - of milled seeds ( I use organic flax/linseed)

Half a cup - or 70 g - of ground almonds

Half a cup – or 70g - of oat fibre

One and a half cups – or 230 g- of vital wheat gluten

80g of cubed butter

Some mixed seeds to sprinkle on top of the loaf

Mix the dry ingredients and cubed butter together with a dough hook then slowly add the proven yeast starter and finally the eggs beaten with salt (Salt kills yeast so add after yeast mix is beaten in.) Knead for at least 5 mins until mixed and stretchy. I kneaded for 10 mins in total at different speeds and I also added the proven yeast mix to the dry ingredients and let it stand for about 5 mins before I started machine up to give the yeast adjustment time!)

Prepare a buttered loaf tin with baking paper at bottom. Add the dough to the tin, add some sprinkled seeds to the top of the loaf and cover with buttered Clingfilm (or reusable silicone sheet) and tea towel. Leave until doubled in size this can take 1 – 2 hours depending on how warm it is.

Meanwhile heat oven to 175 and then add to oven for 35 mins and then tip out of tin and put back in for 5 mins to finish off.

Cost – I bulk buy ingredients and use organic if possible - which work out at £4 a loaf

Food entry later! @Debandez this is the loaf I was mentioning to you earlier if interested
Edit you need to use inulin not other sweetners as this feeds the yeast other sweetners don’t feed the yeast in same way.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Definitely not pickled herring, completely different product! I'm fine with pickled herring but while it is the same fish it's as different as cabbage from sauerkraut, you cannot compare them.
Just let me know when you plan to visit and I'll get you a herring :)

This is not one of those foods that gets buried in the sand for a week after every adult male has peed on it, is it?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is not one of those foods that gets buried in the sand for a week after every adult male has peed on it, is it?
No, no, no burying! That's gravad lax, if I remember correctly. Although I don't seem to remember the peeing part of the recipe. My aunt, who has made gravad lax regularly definitely didn't include that part, but this could have been because she lives alone, no males in the household. But she also 'buried' it in the fridge instead of in the local park so she must've used a somewhat modernised version of the recipe...

Pilates Deb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
House work!
New to the site have had Diabetes for 2 1/2 years almost 2 years in Denial....I know ....back on the wagon for good now but discovered Seriously low carb bread.
Two slices of seriously low carb bread and real butter (bliss)
A smoked Turkey sandwich with seriously low carb bread..... I really love this bread!
Tonight I will have chicken fajita but no wraps, just simply laid on a homemade red cabbage coleslaw ( no seriously low carb bread!)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
New to the site have had Diabetes for 2 1/2 years almost 2 years in Denial....I know ....back on the wagon for good now but discovered Seriously low carb bread.
Two slices of seriously low carb bread and real butter (bliss)
A smoked Turkey sandwich with seriously low carb bread..... I really love this bread!
Tonight I will have chicken fajita but no wraps, just simply laid on a homemade red cabbage coleslaw ( no seriously low carb bread!)
Welcome aboard good to hear from you. Don't be a stranger

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pilates Deb welcome to the thread - good to meet you.
Brunch slice of toasted hm low carb bread - see earlier post for recipe - with two fried eggs
Mid pm cup of black tea with a try out of one of my new home made truffles using hazelnuts and the Lidl 95% choc - one of my faves but often only find at this time of year. Loved it so rest now in freezer to restrict any grazing!
Dinner pheasant breast which had been marinated in olive oil with Juniper berries and peppercorns with a stick of cinnamon, all day and then was flash fried in pan in butter and then popped in oven with my roasted swede ( new to me and find I prefer it to celeriac although slightly higher carb) ,sprouts, and mushroom sauce cooked in the butter leftover in the pan from flash frying and used extra thick cream and more butter and pepper to thicken sauce. Yum almost tasted like Christmas dinner. Had glass of dry red to compliment it!
Later planning a DGF lemon and blueberry cake with cream and a decaff coffee. Just had message from deliciously guilt free that my next supplies will be delivered tomorrow - yum I love my DGF puddings.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight I will have chicken fajita but no wraps, just simply laid on a homemade red cabbage coleslaw
Hi @Pilates Deb , and welcome!
If at any time you do want a wrap-like wrap, the Atkins wraps are pretty acceptable, and only 4.4 gr carbs a piece (although they're rather small).

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and another welcome to @Pilates Deb
Today I’ve had black coffee and tea all morning.
Lunch was leftover chicken Garam masala from yesterday, made into a sort of Coronation chicken sandwich using a SLC roll.
A handful of Callebaut buttons with another coffee to follow.
Dinner was cod loin in a creamy mushroom and Dijon mustard sauce with roast sprouts. 1 glass dry white wine.
@shelley262 try swede mashed with loads of butter and pepper - my mum always made it to accompany a roast dinner, I loved it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome @Pilates Deb. This is a great thread!

Woke up very hungry so finished off the almond butter, with the obligatory extra thick double cream before heading out for my early morning walk. Absolutely stunning sunrise.

Lunch was leftover chicken - for a small chicken, it’s provided a lot of meals! Followed by some Lindt 90%.

Dinner was a Barnsley lamb chop with bacon wrapped Halloumi fries.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome @Pilates Deb. This is a great thread!

Woke up very hungry so finished off the almond butter, with the obligatory extra thick double cream before heading out for my early morning walk. Absolutely stunning sunrise.

Lunch was leftover chicken - for a small chicken, it’s provided a lot of meals! Followed by some Lindt 90%.

Dinner was a Barnsley lamb chop with bacon wrapped Halloumi fries.

So is that 3 days or 4 the almond butter has lasted? The record is 1 week in my house - never since repeated.

Reactions: zauberflote