What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I thought myself that it isn't a good move to make yourself inaccessible to a large number of customers - this island population must have a high proportion of elderly folk; the younger ones all go away to the mainland to work or study and most don't come back until they are in late middle age, if at all.

I am going to phone them to find out if they have any arrangements in place to overcome this issue. It turns out they are only open on Tuesdays - the rest of the week they travel around the islands with a fish van - not in our direction, unfortunately. They go to the Uists and to Harris and the West side of Lewis but they never seem to come here. I would so much like to get some fresh shellfish and some fresh white fish and mackerel. And I wonder if they have whitebait, which I would love to be able to get again.

Reactions: gerrib and maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Well Thursday was Fish Finger Firsday, my indulgence day that I look forward to!
Yesterday I decided to go as close to no carb as possible apart from slice HiLo toast at breakfast. Lunch was a pot of naked calamari from M&S and green salad. Supper was halibut and 3 scallops fried in butter, with 1 leftover cooked broccoli floret heated up. Did manage to get a FBG in the 5s today after a couple of weeks or more of 6s and 7s. Ut couldnt sustain that way of eating. Lunch today was sliced ham and spoon of cheesey coleslaw. Tonight we are having a Thai t/a so I will order a chicken ginger & spring onion stirfry with steamed pak choi. Tomorrow we are going out to lunch with our sons and DIL to be so will be scanning menu for something safe. Might choose a roast with extra veg instead of spud & yorkshire.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All this talk of ice cream is making me crave some! Frozen raspberries may have to be bought.

I did buy raspberries, but fresh, not frozen, and extra thick double cream. Not quite ice cream, but hit a spot - well 2 spots. One before dinner and one after :D:hilarious:

Dinner was oven roasted whole wild sea bass (pic on PE dieting thread) with lemon and thyme.

Lunch was air fried Barnsley lamb chops.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and a Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.5 FBG 5.8 - jujitsu day! Grandson showing off his spelling prowess to Mum on the way there. He also decided little brother should be doing this too so had me finding the same exercises for him, although I convinced him it had to be a lower level. We both a bit torn about increasing eldest's time in school now as they are short on teachers and he's doing much better with me teaching him.
B. TAG and 2 slices SLC toast with egg mayo.
L. Nothing - out shopping but did have another TAG later on.
D. Still quite humid so salad it was (yes I resisted another hot dog). Salad consisted of 1 slice ox tongue, 3 bits liver sausage, little bit ham and a chicken wing. Half avocado, lettuce, mini tomatoes, bit of wensleydale with cranberries, boiled egg.
Undecided whether to have a grenade ice cream bar or raspberries. Suspect it will be the ice cream bar.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All this talk of ice cream is making me crave some! Frozen raspberries may have to be bought.
Don't read this post, it might make things worse!

Today I made a chocolate and nut icecream, a proper one with the fuss with egg yolks.
It was very much worth the hassle, and still lowish carb :)

I used 85% chocolate from Aldi, almond butter, egg yolks, milk, cream, and a very little amount of amaretto.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t intend to have breakfast but was seduced by a lone tuna muffin in the fridge.
Lunch was h/m mackerel pate with SLC toast then a few Callebaut 100% cocoa buttons.
Dinner was airfried duck breast. Sliced aubergine put on the drip tray underneath and cooked in the duck drippings. It was wonderful. Steamed broccoli also and 2 glasses red.
@Annb I hope you can reach an arrangement with the fish people. Would you ( or Neil ) be able to drive to somewhere on their route and meet the van?
@Antje77 your story reminds me of the Alan Bennet play ‘The Lady in the Van’ it’s really neighbourly of you to offer your space. I hope it works out well.
I also want ice cream now!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 your story reminds me of the Alan Bennet play ‘The Lady in the Van’ it’s really neighbourly of you to offer your space. I hope it works out well.
I also want ice cream now!
I haven't read that, but my neighbour will put a proper trailer in my garden and dig a way to make his toilet and shower connect to the sewer, so much better than a van! :)

The icecream recipe (made it up myself after reading other icecream recipes) is now in my copy me that account so feel free to copy!
It's also in dutch, but I made the description as short as I could. As long as you know amandelpasta is almond butter you should be able to get the gist of the recipe :)
The amaretto of course is very sugary, but it really was only a drop, and it does enhance the flavour.
https://www.copymethat.com/r/E4wEFjwpG/chocola-notenijs-low-carb/

Reactions: Annb and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't read that, but my neighbour will put a proper trailer in my garden and dig a way to make his toilet and shower connect to the sewer, so much better than a van! :)

The icecream recipe (made it up myself after reading other icecream recipes) is now in my copy me that account so feel free to copy!
It's also in dutch, but I made the description as short as I could. As long as you know amandelpasta is almond butter you should be able to get the gist of the recipe :)
The amaretto of course is very sugary, but it really was only a drop, and it does enhance the flavour.
https://www.copymethat.com/r/E4wEFjwpG/chocola-notenijs-low-carb/

Thank you. You’re right I could figure most of it out ( feeling chuffed!) I’m not sure I’d trust myself with a bottle of Amaretto though. Only a tiny drop in the ice cream maybe but I’d end up having a little snifter or two in the evenings as well.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. You’re right I could figure most of it out ( feeling chuffed!) I’m not sure I’d trust myself with a bottle of Amaretto though. Only a tiny drop in the ice cream maybe but I’d end up having a little snifter or two in the evenings as well.

It’s the almond butter and chocolate I’d be worried about (don’t enjoy alcohol at all). This recipe does sound good though.

@Antje77 maybe you can swap some for a fishy plate? :hilarious:

Reactions: DJC3

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Cottage cheese and a protein shake for breakfast
Salmon and kimchi for lunch
Steak and like 4 cups of raw spinach for dinner.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not sure I’d trust myself with a bottle of Amaretto though. Only a tiny drop in the ice cream maybe but I’d end up having a little snifter or two in the evenings as well.
It was the last drop in a bottle which has been laying about for longer than I've had diabetes, so no risk of drinking more from it. I don't even know how it ended up in my house, I'm very sure I didn't buy it :hilarious:. I encountered it while rummaging for somethig else and thought a drop would add some extra almondy taste so I added it on a whim. Easily replaced by something else, or nothing at all. :)
It’s the almond butter and chocolate I’d be worried about (don’t enjoy alcohol at all). This recipe does sound good though.

@Antje77 maybe you can swap some for a fishy plate? :hilarious:
Told you you shouldn't read my post!
And yes, happy to swap icecream for a fishy plate, I'll just bring the ice machine when I finally come visit! :happy:

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I may be giving it a go without a machine. Also using cream instead of milk, so it’ll be very creamy! Watch this space!
I'm sorry to have led you right off the straight and narrow and on the dark path of almond butter and chocolate again.

It froze a lot quicker than the yoghurt and strawberry experiment from the day before so I expect the walking back and forth to the freezer to stir all the time will be very doable :)

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bacon and egg (BG a bit high this morning and the correction dose of insulin I took didn't knock it back, so I had a slightly larger dose than normal before the bacon and egg, which usually doesn't put my BG up at all.

2nd meal: will be smoked haddock (dyed stuff from the supermarket) with spinach.

There are a few veggies to use up in the fridge, so I guess I'd better make some soup some time today, or maybe soup and something else - what's there doesn't seem to lend itself to one dish. There are leeks, spring onions, mixed bell peppers, brussels sprouts, white cabbage, carrots, tomatoes and a butternut squash plus some red onions. At least a couple of dishes there. Could, of course, use some of the haddock to make Cullen skink - without potato, but could use the butternut squash instead of potato. Whatever, there will be meals for at least a couple of days there.

Neil has just told me that he can't fix the lock on our back door and I might have to get someone from the firm who installed it (about 25 years ago) to try to fix it. Failing which, it will be a new door. Also have to get the brakes and suspension fixed on the Scenic on Thursday. Might need to eek out the meals a bit this month!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat your heart out, Oppo! @Antje77 ‘s recipe is far superior! This was dinner. Lunch was about a pound of Picanha, and I’ve also had some almond butter and cream. Don’t think I’ll be needing anything else.

11873BD4-5EF4-4E5F-AD0B-C9214C319D3D.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.

Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, carrots, runner beans and Brussels with gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF cherry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was the last drop in a bottle which has been laying about for longer than I've had diabetes, so no risk of drinking more from it. I don't even know how it ended up in my house, I'm very sure I didn't buy it :hilarious:. I encountered it while rummaging for somethig else and thought a drop would add some extra almondy taste so I added it on a whim. :

That sort of happy encounter never happens to me!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch was cheese omelette with a dollop of kimchi
Dinner was leg of pork roast in the airfryer, on the rotisserie. I’m still struggling with getting the prongs on the rotisserie rod. Cauli cheese, spinach and aubergine cooked in the pork dripping.
Haven’t attempted @Antje77 ‘s ice cream yet but I did still have the craving so some frozen blueberries smashed up with cream made a sort of semi frozen dessert which hit the spot. 2 or 3 glasses of red with the meat.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 loving the look of that recipe. Will be trying it as soon as home again.

Last night we tried a local posh takeaway place. Preordered and collected. Hubby had a salmon taco with chips, I had a mushroom burger where the other fillings were so generous and tasty was another meal in itself. Smoked sausage I thought would be a thin slice or 2 but turned out to be a whole sausage and a half. Even The mayo had bacon in!

Really rich and filling so straight through to lunch today being fried chicken and salad.

Dinner a cold chicken thigh and 20g cheese and 5 olives.

Making my way through coffee mousse made from marscapone with coffee, cream and a teaspoon stevia. Very rich so getting at least 6 portions from one 250g tub of marscapone.