What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my cabbage with a few added peas. Not very full but I'm better to go a bit easy on my stomach until it stops misbehaving.

Felt a bit energetic so fried off a whole punnet of mushrooms that Neil had bought for me - just broken up into butter and fried off. Neil pointed out that they were on their sell-by date so they should be used. They're cooked now so I can use them tomorrow and the day after.

Also roasted a halved aubergine intending to make Baba Ganoush for tomorrow but have changed my mind and I will finish it off as Imam Bayaldi, sort of. To make proper Imam Bayaldi I would have to leave the flesh in the aubergine skins and pile the rest of the ingredients on top but my way is to remove much of the flesh and mix it with the other ingredients before refilling the skins. Just as well to get ahead while I'm feeling like it - it doesn't happen very often.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone. A few questions! @Riva_Roxaban - what is Osmolax, is it something for regularity? (Just curious). @MrsA2, am going to do the fridge gravel. Could some Coconut or Almond flour be added to make fritters? @shelley262, How do you make high protein yoghurt? Would appreciate the recipe and method. I have already started to make Sauerkraut. I'm looking into Kimchi as well. Don't like the sound of fermented cheese! Am not feeling well atm so am just going to eat low carb if and when. I'm not really hungry.
Re yoghurt gave details to @MrsA2 last week on parallel thread. I use a yoghurt maker you get higher protein by simmering the organic milk and cream so it reduces and protein content is higher
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-parallel-chat.177870/page-108
Re fermented cheese I just meant real cheese as all traditionally produced cheese tends to be fermented eg vintage cheddar Stilton etc etc.i just wanted to identify those rather than the non live under fermented highly processed cheese such as dairylea,low fat and cheese slices etc!
Hope this helps and that your health picks up soon.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
About 10am a few spoons of hm yoghurts with my daily supplements
Lunch about 1.30 two boiled eggs with half a SLC buttered roll followed by stewed rhubarb and hm yoghurts and two squares of my 100% cocoa and hemp seed choc
Dinner about 5.30 roast lamb loin with kimchi,small salad and cauliflower mash with small glass of red wine followed by lc blondie.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: chicken supreme with Brussels and runner beans followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.
5 year diaversary this week, HbA1c 37 despite a shed load of stress over the past nine weeks, I expected worse!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2, am going to do the fridge gravel. Could some Coconut or Almond flour be added to make fritters?
@RosemaryJackson
I haven't tried, and wouldn't think it would work as there's nothing to stick it all together. Perhaps add an egg to make a sort of batter? It's really just a way if using up what's at the bottom of the veg drawer. Adding more liquid, cooking until soft then blending gives soup.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 3 eggs scrambled
2 coffees with cream
L: salad, out with a friend I hadn't seen since before covid, so too much chatter to notice what I was eating really.
Mid afternoon: 2 cream éclairs
D: pork chop, swede fries and cauliflower. 2 sqs 85% chocolate

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Have been struggling with a stomach acid issue for a week GP says may be an ulcer so am on a month of Omeprazole and easy to digest diet excluding red meat, spicy food and fatty food and no alcohol! So some of my usual lc choices might have to be sidestepped for a while.
Breakfast still toast but one small slice white toast with tea.
Lunch has been scrambled eggs, or boiled eggs, cold meat or small amount of crustless quiche with cucumber, coleslaw. Tomatoes to be avoided!
Supper yesterday was a baked chicken breast and green beans.
Supper tonight is chunky fish fingers and peas.

Last edited:

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. @PenguinMum, I also suffered from stomach acid. Had an Endoscopy and there was severe inflammation and large Hiatus Hernia. Put on the same , then Lanzaprazole, both caused bad tummy upsets but since I started low carb, it has almost disappeared! Gaviscon tablets were my bosom buddies but now just the odd one. Hope it soon calms down. Today for me it's sausages and eggs for midday. Tonight it's salad with a variety of cooked meats. Snack will be my 70% Lindt. Have a good day everyone

Reactions: shelley262 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning All. Have been struggling with a stomach acid issue for a week GP says may be an ulcer so am on a month of Omeprazole and easy to digest diet excluding red meat, spicy food and fatty food and no alcohol! So some of my usual lc choices might have to be sidestepped for a while.

I was put onto Esomeprazole about 15 or more years ago because of "erosions" in my stomach wall. I am still on the drug and, as far as I am aware, the erosions are still there. The only thing that has helped has been reduced carbs and high protein/high fat. I still take the Esomeprazole though. I did ask one doctor why I was still taking it after all these years but he didn't know, so he said "try not taking it and see what happens". I did that but ended up with a bad pain around where my gall bladder used to be. So I still take it.

Recently a doctor has recommended eating more red meat to try to prevent anaemia.

Reactions: Megnala and Antje77

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m nearly 200 posts behind. So much for me trying to keep the habit. No high carb foods still, but too much snacking on nuts and 100% chocolate. Still waiting for latest HbA1c results but if I’m below 42 I’ll take that as a win.
Todays food was
L/roll filled with sliced beef, smoked cheese and coleslaw.
DGF cake
Some Montezuma’s 100% choc buttons
Some Brazil nuts.
Pack of Tesco rollitos
Wild mallard breasts, with roast veg ( courgette, aubergine, red pepper, mushrooms) couple of glasses dry white wine. I need to cut that out too.
There are blueberries in the fridge, no point pretending I won’t have them later with some cream.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
10 ish a few spoons of hm yoghurts with my supplements
12ish a mushroom omelette cooked in butter served with kimchi - followed by a chopped up strawberry with hm yoghurts and two squares of 100% chocolate with hemp
5ish venison meatballs in hm passata and glass of red wine followed by lc blondie

Will not be recording daily food for a week or so - although hopefully I will read others menus when get opportunity. I’m away from tomorrow - busy caring for much of the time for a week and then hopefully will be away for a few days at a conference in Bristol (PHC conference) and meeting up with some wonderful friends. I’m so looking forward to catching up with good friends in just over a week. Planning to stay low carb though fingers crossed.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. @PenguinMum, I also suffered from stomach acid. Had an Endoscopy and there was severe inflammation and large Hiatus Hernia. Put on the same , then Lanzaprazole, both caused bad tummy upsets but since I started low carb, it has almost disappeared! Gaviscon tablets were my bosom buddies but now just the odd one. Hope it soon calms down. Today for me it's sausages and eggs for midday. Tonight it's salad with a variety of cooked meats. Snack will be my 70% Lindt. Have a good day everyone
Thanks for sharing your info for me its not reflux or heartburn but low down belly button area burning knawing that came on abt 10 days ago. I have a bile acid malabsorption so it may be related to that and just a flare up. Since I got 2 doses Omeprazole into me since Sat things have improved.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put onto Esomeprazole about 15 or more years ago because of "erosions" in my stomach wall. I am still on the drug and, as far as I am aware, the erosions are still there. The only thing that has helped has been reduced carbs and high protein/high fat. I still take the Esomeprazole though. I did ask one doctor why I was still taking it after all these years but he didn't know, so he said "try not taking it and see what happens". I did that but ended up with a bad pain around where my gall bladder used to be. So I still take it.

Recently a doctor has recommended eating more red meat to try to prevent anaemia.
Thanks for comments Ann and I know you have really walked the walk as regards tum issues. Since I started two doses of Omeprazole Saturday things have improved but I admit I don’t understand the diet advice either but if I can eat chicken and fish and green veg thats pretty much what I usually have. It seems fat digestion requires acid to break it down but I am not a big eater of fatty food so it may not be much change for me. Maybe I just had a flare up of inflammation. I admire how you juggle your issues with eating low carb. Makes me humble to complain.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my carbohydratre allowance this morning in 1 slice of white bread, toasted. That was breakfast.

2nd meal was Imam Bayaldi - I don't know that I would swoon over it (like the Imam) but it is very tasty. That means I've had no protein today at all, but I'll make up for it over the next day or so because I took another box of frozen food out of the freezer which was labelled "Roast lamb". And right enough, that's what it was, but there were several small packets of cubes of roasted lamb - all frozen together, so I couldn't just take out one packet. Had to defrost the whole lot.

So this afternoon I've made lamb tagine - enough for 2 meals, lamb and veg stew - enough for 2 meals and lamb and mushrooms waiting for some onions to be added to make a dish of some sort with them - again enough for 2 or 3 meals. After cooling, they can go back into the freezer - separated this time with greaseproof paper or foil, in single portion sizes. I'll need to do something tomorrow with the lamb and mushrooms for tomorrow's meal and put the remainder back into the freezer.

Neil has just made an experimental shortbread using soya marg and sorbitol. It might work, you never know. Still too much carb for me, but if he can make something that extends his possible meals, so much the better.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m behind too @DJC3 and also off piste a bit too much, so you’re not alone.

@PenguinMum sorry to hear of the gastric issues. I’m another with a hiatus hernia - recently discovered during a scan for something else entirely. It’s not terribly troublesome and I’m skeptical of almost all dietary advice given out by the NHS so won’t be making any changes. Hope your situation soon resolves.

Been on the road today. Worked from home this morning and ate the remains of a tub of Fage 0% mid morning.

Lunch was around 1.30 sitting on benches outside Euston station - picnic of cold Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages and chicken drumsticks which had been coated with lemon pepper and air fried. Followed up with an 85% hot chocolate from Hotel Chocolat. Got the whip in a separate cup with a lid and kept it in my cool bag to eat on the train! Snacks on the train were a small (24g) pack of Serious Pig snacking cheese and a Graze box of chilli lime nuts.

Dinner was at German Doner Kebab in Birmingham - small beef gymbox.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Food Dr bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: roast chicken breasts stuffed with pork and apple stuffing, cauliflower, runner beans and a splash of gravy followed by SF orange jelly and cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Back from four days of sailing!

Didn't eat any meals with the group after hearing my skipper's verdict on their first day of cooking pasta with a very sad bolognese sauce, so I had a random eating pattern based on low carb bread with lots of butter and either cheese or meat (or both), sometimes with cucumber or tomato and mayonnaise added, sometimes without the bread. Also hard boiled eggs with fish/mayo, nuts, pork scratchings, strawberries and chocolaty nut squares.
Today will be the same sort of meal as I just came home after having a beautiful sailing day from Vlieland to Harlingen with 6 Beaufort (which sounds like blue cheese but is wind force, and quite a lot of it), and now I just want to enjoy being alone with my dogs and cats and not 28 other people and not cook!

I saw my neighbour who took care of the cats and guinea pigs hasn't used the cauliflower I bought for the guinea pigs, so I took a pot of meaty stew with lots of veggies from the freezer to have with cauliflower purée tomorrow, to make up for the lack of vitamins. :)

Nothing I ate during the week was worth photographing, so instead you'll get a picture of our sailing and one of my lucky little dog Wolf who found out the captain had some room left in his coat to keep her comfy during the sailing. :)

280916056_10225526294778583_6445376665005695187_n.jpg

280858285_10225526294258570_8222802990537445916_n.jpg

Overwhelmed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, rudeness
1030hrs breakfast. Omlette with cheese, bacon bits, mushrooms and Peppers
1330hrs lunch. Ham with cabbage, 1 small boiled potato with skin on, a few peas and butternut squash.
1830hrs. Chicken curry leftovers from yesterday's dinner with cauliflower, broccoli and Corgette.
Didn't see any big spike 1 and 2 hrs post lunch with the veg I had. Wonder if the fat content of the ham held back a higher spike