What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I misread that you fitted in having a shower, rather than that you fitted a shower. Momentarily I was aghast at your range of skills. :joyful:
I have many skills but.....they don't stretch to plumbing! When cars were more mechanical I could deal with spark plugs and jump starting the car. I even changed the water pump once. Plumbing? Probably a step too far (and the car gets left to these computer tech mechanics now).

Reactions: AndBreathe

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I did not post anything yesterday, here's yesterday's meny.

Bacon and egg low carbsandwiches for brakfast.
Small tin JW pimnk salmon and mre mashed potato mixed together and nuked for four minutes, keft to stand for a minute then nuked for 1:30 min more, then mixed up some chopped up small raw onion into the mix so it was all mixed in well. Went down well for lunch.
Packet of five chicken wings in "buffalo sauce" for supper at six.

Glass of single malt watching Thirteen Lives on Amazon Prime, which is about the young Thai soccer team and their coach trapped by flooding in a cave system in 2018. Well the watch if you have Prime, great actors init as well.
That's on my list to watch. It was miraculous all the boys got out alive. The loss of an experienced diver showed how dangerous the situation was.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 3 scrambled eggs
L: salad with meats and cheeses. 2 glasses very dilute wine with water. Served chocolaty, sweet, processed desserts for my guests, but learnt a lesson from yesterday and had a cheese plate ready for me, so by the time I'd eaten that, they had scoffed all the carby stuff.
D: 2 chicken drumsticks and 1 cold sausage witha bit of salad. Hm lc yoghurt witha spoonfull cooked rhubarb. 1 sq 85% choc.

Btw, the other day I had asked hubby to bring me my 1 sq chocolate. I thought it tasted extra sweet and was disappointed my tastes had changed as I don't want to stop my little treat and don't want to have hunt down or pay for the 100% chocolate, so I was very pleased today when I discovered he had opened and given me the 72% chocolate I keep for cooking with!! So happy bunny, now I know how well I can tell the difference and that my little treat of 85% occasionally remains firmly in place :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday fare. Usual cooked breakfast, egg, bacon, sausage mushrooms, black coffee.
Iced coffee throughout the day.
Dinner sirloin steak, halloumi fries, sugar snap peas, rum with pepsi max.
There is a big bowl of sugar free jelly snd raspberries and cream in fridge, but I think I’ll havevanother rum instead.:D

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Em had a sleepover last night. For the first time ever, she was restless all night and I was pretty sore too. But one way and another we got through the night. I was up at about 5 am and, because Em usually wants pancakes for her breakfast, I made a batch (a good excuse to trial the new induction hob with my existing pans). I also made wholemeal bread since I ran out several days ago. Then I put my brined brisket into a big pan and brought it to boil on the new hob (took much longer than I anticipated, but it was a big pot of water) and I transferred it to the oven to cook for 4 hours. I didn't know what would happen with the induction hob if I tried to keep a pot going for 4 hours on it. Then Em got up and didn't want pancakes, so she had crispy fried streaky bacon. I am now left with a pile of pancakes which nobody wants. Freezer, I guess, and make something with them for Em another time.

Since this is the day when I enter my 78th year, Em wanted to make a birthday cake for me. So I got that organised but by the time I was ready, she had moved on to a craft project, so I ended up making it myself and giving it to her Dad when he came to collect her.

I didn't have any of the cake, but I must admit that I did have one of the pancakes around 5 am - just to check that I had the mixture right and that the new hob had behaved.

Then I had a slice of wholemeal bread with some bacon, since I was already frying it for Em.

And that's it today. Not even many cups of tea, so I'll have to try to rectify the fluids situation this evening.

Alistair arrived with a birthday present for me. Em says it's from her Mum and herself (because her Dad knows better). I just opened it and it is a knitting loom. I want to start making my own socks since I can't get any reasonably priced ones that will go around my swelling legs. But it looks very complicated. I'll have to get Neil to help me with it.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Annb !
Let us know when you've figured out the knitting loom and made your first pair of socks. :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday 13 August bed 6.1 FBG 5.6. Jujitsu day. Did I say sleeping would be easier? It was still very humid and once again sheets were very damp due to nocturnal sweating. Another change coming up. Shower, wash hair then got cool clothes and off to jujitsu. Shopping afterwards. Back home to continue labelling school clothes.

B. TAG and a bit crustless quiche.

L once back home a SLC sandwich with wafer thin ham and Philly.

D. Cold cuts - too humid for anything else.slice each ox tongue, wafer thin ham, roast beef, corned beef, smoked chicken, smashed avocado, santini tomatoes. Nicks coconut bar.

Sunday 14 August - bed 7.5 FBG 7.8

B. 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and whipped cheese. TAG.

L. Last bit of crustless quiche.

D. Campari and soda. I made tarragon chicken with cauliflower cheese, green beans, asparagus and 1/2 a roast potato. Cooking was a distraction from the thunderstorm. At least its cleared the air and brought some badly needed rain.
20220814_185833.jpg

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eaten a bit earlier today.

First course was a variation on my messy meal the other day. Fried up half a pack of 25% mince with some diced onions and courgette then added a beaten egg, some crumbled feta and a bit of grated mozzarella. Yum! Still plenty of all ingredients in the fridge so it’ll be featuring again. A lot quicker and simpler than attempting a roll.

Dessert is now in the fridge. As my ‘extra thick’ cream was runny yesterday, I mixed roughly equal quantities of that and cream cheese and whipped it together. Now in 2 ramekins with some 85% chocolate and a few raspberries and firming up in the fridge. Let’s see if I can manage to limit dessert to one portion. Who am I kidding?!

View attachment 55924 View attachment 55925

To someone who doesn't "do" puddings, that looks good. On the rare times I do indulge if there's to be chocolate it is shaved and turned into the cream. It's been a while.

(HC 85% batons still intact. :angelic:)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a food dr bar.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thinking of chopping up the corned beef to make a better shaped chunk of meat, and more easily sliced but actually I think the fat content is too low and it won't hold together, so I've just started pressing it as is and hope it can be used as sliced beef later today. It's certainly very tasty and I have some really good gravy to use in something else.

Later on I'll have some bacon and eggs for breakfast and a slice of Lorne sausage.

2nd meal will be a casserole with pork sausages, onions and tomatoes - using some of the gravy.

Reactions: maglil55

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Don't think I posted yesterday so here goes. I cooked belly pork slices and sausages in the oven, enough for 2 days. I finely chopped broccoli, white cabbage, onion and sprouts and fried them slowly in butter. To my surprise, it tasted quite good! I think I've said before, when there were 5 of us, I was a good, inventive cook. But now there's only me and it doesn't seem worth the bother. Does anyone else feel that way? Have a good week everyone.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. Don't think I posted yesterday so here goes. I cooked belly pork slices and sausages in the oven, enough for 2 days. I finely chopped broccoli, white cabbage, onion and sprouts and fried them slowly in butter. To my surprise, it tasted quite good! I think I've said before, when there were 5 of us, I was a good, inventive cook. But now there's only me and it doesn't seem worth the bother. Does anyone else feel that way? Have a good week everyone.

I always knew that once I lost my husband, I wouldn't bother to cook - and I didn't bother, even before he died because he was on a liquid feed, directly into his stomach for the last few months of his life. That's when I stopped even trying. I didn't have to make food for Neil either because his diet has, for many years, been so restricted that he just decided for himself what to eat and just made it for himself. I even virtually stopped eating for quite a while (just tea and the bare minimum of prep or cooking, once in a while).

After ending up in hospital I decided to take myself in hand. I still only cook properly when I feel the urge and just do the bare minimum most of the time. But I do try to think about what I'm eating and have a reasonable diet these days. Problem now is that I either feel too ill to eat, or too exhausted or in pain to stand and cook or prep food. I have a bad habit of making the food and then throwing it out because I can't eat.

Sometimes I force myself by buying a relatively expensive ingredient and then I just have to cook - like buying the brisket almost 2 weeks ago to make corned beef. An interesting experiment, to keep me interested and expensive enough not to let it go to waste. I brined it for 10 days and then cooked it yesterday. Now I just hav e to bother eating it.

Edit to add: Of course, I still bake fairly often these days, because it's one of the things Em likes to do when she comes here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retanna

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started early too! Did only eat one of yesterday’s 2 desserts, so had the other for breakfast. That always makes me hungrier so have had lunch of fat head pizza with chorizo and salami topping.

Hopefully won’t need anything else, but let’s see!

7239F595-B72F-45CE-8F61-457F6FEB5706.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess I'm going to be having a lot of mushroom soup. Thanks to @Annb planting it in my head, I got Hubby busy making chicken stock while I went to Aqua. He kindly diced my huge assortment of mushrooms too.
It's now blitzed and ready apart from adding some cream (that will be done as it is eaten as I suspect some may head to the freezer). Here's the recipe I gave him. The stock is excellent. I recall from learning to cook in restaurants that the base to any good savoury dish is a good stock.

sugarfreelondoner.com/keto-mushroom-soup/

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
So far at 6am this morning a few slices of cold corned beef
Early lunch - omelette made with 2 eggs, unsweetened almond milk, chopped gammon, sliced mushrooms and a teaspoon of cream cheese
Just having a piece of grilled chicken in a minute as I have been on the go most of the day and my bg is 6.4 but I am so hungry!

Reactions: Overwhelmed

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 1 cold chicken drumstick
Exercise class
Coffee (tea for me) with the girls
L: 3 cold chicken drumsticks. Soem hm lc yoghurt with rhubarb. So good there was a second bowl. Still hungry(!) so coffee with cream
Picked another tub of black berries this afternoon. Now frozen ready for winter as I refuse to buy berries out of season, so expensive!
D: frittata of roasted veg (peppers, radish, courgette) tried to make large one to last several days, but half has gone already. I glass white with loads of soda