What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Overwhelmed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, rudeness
1030hrs , chia seed pudding , nuts ,berries and greek yogurt
1400hrs club sandwich . Bread substitute was cauliflower rice squeezed of all liquid mixed with cream cheese then flattened out on parchment paper to resemble 2 slices of bread baked un the oven for 20mins turning once .. surprisingly tasty
1800hrs hm tacos using cheese and veg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FC31BCBF-245A-43F6-B21E-B653A6D0FE02.jpeg

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: cheesy scrambled egg on Marmite on LC bread roll toasted followed by SF orange jelly and cream.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday 15 & Tuesday 16 August - bed 7.9 FBG 7.6 and bed 7 4 FBG 7. I can do both together as they are both exactly the same.

B TAG and 2 slices if SLC toast with Philly.

L. Nothing

D. A very, very large bowl of home made mushroom & chicken soup, followed by a SLC chicken and avocado sandwich.

The one difference is yesterday I had a vodka and diet coke. Today, no vodka as I'm up early again for the return of the school run. Even earlier start as eldest has to be at Senior school for 8 30am registration. All the clothes are labelled & delivered for both. Morning will be a double run now as I'll nip back for the younger once big brother is in Anyway, I got an aqua session yesterday and Physio today. Back to normal!View attachment 55950
That soup looks amazing - can you please post your recipe x

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread filled with egg mayo. Mug of earl grey tea. 1 square 90% Lindtt

Dinner/Snack as working late shift at work - 1 slc roll filled with cheese. I packet chicken fridge raiders, half of a white chocolate blondie phd bar. Small bottle of pepsi max with lime. Mug of earl grey tea

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausages, eggs, two slices of toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Roast pickled pork, veggies and gravy for lunch.
Hearty beef soup and veggies for supper at six.

Smallish glass of malt whisky before I went to bed early, best sleep I have had only woke up once to go to the toilet.

I sorted out a box of unopened sterile wound dressings that I do not use any more because of dermatitis, I found three boxes containg thre liner each of Jobst compressiom stocking liners that go over the dressings before you put athe outer zip up stocking on.

Four Setopress 10cmx x 3.5 mtr bandages that have a rectangle that turns into a square when put on correctly I am allergic to these bring me up in dermatitis,

Various combine dressing packs and a one full roll.

The Blue Care nurse will be happy with them when she comes, it will help some one who struggles paying for them.

Edit: Extra info.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again. Brekkie yesterday and today usual slice LC toast, copious tea.
Lunch yesterday was big mug of Covent Garden chicken soup followed by small ramekin berries. Supper was a chorizo, shallot and cherry tom omelette. Very tasty everything tastes better with chorizo.
Not sure what lunch will be today but supper will be chunky haddock fingers with green beans pushed on a day from Fish Finger Firsday, my fave of the week due to sentimentality as much as anything else!
We are going to Exmoor for the BH weekend an annual meet up with group of friends. I have been looking ahead at the pub menu where we are staying and I think it will be quite challenging. Lots of pies, game (which I dislike) lasagne, jackets etc and no lamb which is a shock since everywhere you look there are flocks grazing! A bit of trout (my least fave fish) cod in batter, wcampi, aaarrrrgh!!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Odd day yesterday. I had a slice of toast with butter and Marmite for breakfast - because it was easy and I was feeling lethargic (lazy),

Tea but nothing else until quite late on. BG was ridiculously high all day, topping out at 17.4. Then, all of a sudden it dropped to 4.4 so I decided I'd better eat. Around 8 pm I had some corned beef and pickled cucumber with some red cabbage slaw. BG came up to 7.8 before bed time.

Waking BG today was 11.4 rising to 17.2 by 9.25 am. Feeling very hungry but I've taken a dose of insulin without food to try to bring it down to something reasonable before I eat anything.

Neil managed to get some bacon for me yesterday, so, once the BG level has come down to something close to 7, that will be breakfast, probably with some scrambled egg. If I have a second meal, it will be some of the sausage casserole I made a day or so ago with some cauliflower mash. If I take the casserole out of the freezer now, it should be defrosted in time to eat by late afternoon. Getting it out and ready means I probably will bother to eat it.

Mornings is when I get hungry, but that is when my BG is usually at its highest. By afternoon, when BG tends to drop, I don't feel hungry and can't be bothered to prep food so am likely not to eat unless BG drops really low and I have to. Maybe one of these chicken and egg situations - is high BG the reason for hunger or is hunger the reason for BG rise? Or is it the insulin making me hungry? Can't tell but my stomach is complaining just now. As my Dad used to say, my stomach thinks my throat has been cut. (gruesome).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We are going to Exmoor for the BH weekend an annual meet up with group of friends. I have been looking ahead at the pub menu where we are staying and I think it will be quite challenging. Lots of pies, game (which I dislike) lasagne, jackets etc and no lamb which is a shock since everywhere you look there are flocks grazing! A bit of trout (my least fave fish) cod in batter, wcampi, aaarrrrgh!!

The hug was for the poor food choices available - game (dodgy in my book) and 3 of my least favourite fishy choices as well and all those carbs - shame that concern about food can give you some feeling of discomfort instead of looking forward to a happy time, so I absolutely feel for you. But, other than that, I do hope you enjoy your weekend on Exmoor.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That soup looks amazing - can you please post your recipe x
sugarfreelondoner.com/keto-mushroom-soup/

I got Hubby to make the chicken stock while I went to Aqua- whole small chicken, white onion , celery, salt & pepper. Mushrooms were a mix of exotic & button *which hubby diced & sliced.
I kept some of it chunkier and blitzed about 2/3rds. I also put shredded chicken in it and only added cream as it was reheated to eat (as I was freezing quite a few portions).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Sounds good with slow cooked lamb!
I'd chop it first, that way the stalks are just small pieces.

I finally made my "quick and easy" cheesy creamy leek soup, forgetting no recipe is quick when it involves chopping onions and cleaning and cutting leeks and peeling garlic cloves. Especially not when you decide you want tiny meatballs in your soup instead of just adding the minced meat to it.
Still, happy with my soup!

I seem incapable of making a sensible portion of soup, no matter what kind of soup it is, I always end up with a huge pot. So I'll have soup the next two days as well, and transferred half of the soup to a freezer container before adding cream and cheese, I'll add that after thawing.
I also found there was no way the container would fit in my freezer. It's two drawers under the fridge and it's crammed.
Thankfully neighbour-in-the-garden has his two freezers in my barn, and although they are pretty full as well, I managed to steal a corner for my soup. :)
I can relate to huge pots of soup. Hubby always makes huge pots of stock so tge additions are increased to match tge stock quantity. My mushroom/chicken batch, as you know I had 3 very, very large bowls and six more normal portions are in the freezer now.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never thought of using it as a mixer for alcohol before.:D. It does reduce my Blood pressure, which is more of an issue than any small increase in blood glucose at the moment.
I didn’t feel much like eating yesterday, so one meal in evening, apart from coffees, black iced coffees. Until evening, shredded white cabbage fried with onion,topped with beef bolognaise sauce, and grated cheddar. My cocktail of beetroot juice with sugar free tonic.

Today
Breakfast: Fage full fat yogurt, blueberries, walnuts black coffee.
Lunch: some left over bolognaise from yesterday and a slicebof grilled halloumi. Weird combo, but didn’t want to waste it.
Dinner: spinach omelette, salmon, beetroot and tonic cocktail (that will confuse the nurse when I hand over my pee specimen in the morning. :D

As a possible derail… I have been given huge sack of spinach, that has overgrown a bit compared to the spinach I am used to. Leaves the size of rhubarb leaves, stalks a bit woody. Used some in omelette, it didn’t wilt down much. So, any suggestions for simple recipes to use it up? Was thinking of something with slow cooked lamb, but all suggestions welcome.

oops perhapps this needs to be in the chatty thread instead.
Spinach soup with either a chicken stock base or a vegetable stock. It's another one to blitz and add cream to as you use it. I'd get rid of the woody shoots though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipp and Antje77

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Don't think I posted yesterday but as I fell off the carb wagon, maybe it's better I don't remember? Today I have had a @MrsA2 savoury thingy for bf, very tasty. For lunch I have an 'Ovenbuster'. It's A very large, thick slice of beef, flat bone in. My old butcher always gave them that name and I've no idea what the proper name is. I will have runner beans and broccoli with it. I have a large bone for bone broth for gravy. Fingers crossed!!
They're beef short rib. I use them a lot for stock in the colder months for the scotch broth the boys & Hubby loves. The bone intensifies the stock and the meat shreds beautifully. You don't need anything else after a bowl of that!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can relate to huge pots of soup. Hubby always makes huge pots of stock so tge additions are increased to match tge stock quantity.
The worst part is that I've never even made stock, I simply use a cube. So no excuse, except just putting too much veggies in the pot. :bag:

Today will be the last day of my cheesy leek soup, tomorrow will be something from the freezer with a salad, I need to make room in the freezer.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - been a while since I heard that one, Does your stomach think your throats cut? Yes, it was common with my family too.

Thursday 18 August - bed 6.9 FBG 7. I'm still adjusting to the earlier rise for the earlier start at school. Trouble is I'm now waking at 6am and I can't get back to sleep. He's delighted though that with the early start, they are finishing 20 mins before the other schools on the Friday.

B. 2 slices of SLC toast with Philly.

L. Nothing - grandson to feed.

D. SLC pizza with salami, cheese and mushrooms. Grenade ice cream bar.

It was a very late pizza as grandson appeared with 2 pals, son has gone down with a very nasty cold and DIL needed a lift to Tesco once I'd deposited grandson/pals at their various houses.

Today Friday 19 August - bed 7.9 FBG 7.4

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.

L. Nothing until much later. Half day at school so early pick up and I went off to do shopping after. A bit crustless quiche on return.

D. Rack of ribs with skinny chilli, coleslaw, guacamole, santini tomatoes, jarlsberg.

School has been a success so far.

Susan Haines

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. Greek yogurt, diced kiwi, sprinkle of nuts, seeds and blueberries.
L. 2 boiled eggs, 2 slices of low carb bread, salad, and a peach.
D. Chicken and veg casserole with roasted sliced cabbage. Yogurt for dessert.

A blueberry and milk smoothie in the afternoon.

Do I eat too much fruit?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The worst part is that I've never even made stock, I simply use a cube. So no excuse, except just putting too much veggies in the pot. :bag:

Today will be the last day of my cheesy leek soup, tomorrow will be something from the freezer with a salad, I need to make room in the freezer.
Cheesy leek soup sounds like my kind of soup - can you please share your recipe? :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do I eat too much fruit?

Only your blood sugar meter can tell you that. We are all different, I just stick to berries as they are lower carb.

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a PE bar.
Dinner: coronation chicken, sweet and crunchy salad and baby tomatoes followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

A628A0E7-66BF-4D0B-B67F-AE55FB10360D.jpeg

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brekkie @ 6.30am - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter and mug of earl grey tea to set me up for the day

elevensies - half of a chocolate brownie protein bar from Home Bargains (2carbs) and a mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. 2 Squares of green & blacks 85% dark chocolate. Large glass of diet pepsi & lime. Water throughout the day

Bring on the soup recipes :hungry: ... with the colder weather (there is a right wee nip in the air in the mornings here now) and well autumn is nearing ... ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheesy leek soup sounds like my kind of soup - can you please share your recipe? :)
Of course!
There's only a bit of a problem with one ingredient, I have a feeling it doesn't exist in the UK. It's a kind of pre-melted cheese, nothing like cream cheese but with a strong cheese flavour (think matured gouda or cheddar).
Of course you could use grated cheese as well, which would make the soup a lot more expensive, and with the risk of separating. Or you could use a strong blue cheese, which would completely alter the result but would be just as tasty. :)

This is the 'smeerkaas' I use, it's a staple in many Dutch households, and in almost all of them if they have young children:

300483295_10226007453367247_7783848825939103010_n.jpg

The recipe is ridiculously simple, just add to pot:

butter
onion (let fry a bit)
optional minced meat (original recipe, or make cute little meatballs)
garlic
leek
(let fry a bit more)
water
stock cube
whatever herbs and spices you fancy, doesn't need a lot. Mustard is an option as well.
meatballs if you opted for them instead of the minced meat

Let cook for 15-20 minutes
Add lots of smeerkaas and some cream and stir.

If you want to make it look fancy, cut some parsley or spring onions over the bowl, or add some paprika on top, or some grated cheese to make it even more cheesy.

edit: Works very well as a vegetarian dish too, just leave the meat out. I always use vegan stock cubes with herbs anyway to prevent mistakes when cooking for vegetarians/vegans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs T 123 and Annb