What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on your anniversary and your results! @shelley262
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: tuna mayo with cauliflower, broccoli and cherry tomato salad followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Mid afternoon: orange chia pudding and a phd bar with black coffee.
Dinner: salmon steak and creamy peppercorn sauce with mixed veg followed by strawberries and chocolate hazelnut Oppo.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Celebrating tonight re my improved cholesterol and then tomorrow celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary - well I was 19 and at end of my first year at university - my OH is a few years older and had his graduation ceremony the day before. This was in Scotland and It was the summer of 1975 ...... where did that time go? Went swimming at my friends outdoor pool today this morning - lovely. Intending to try and build this in once a week throughout the summer it’s very good for me.
Breakfast one 97% pork sausage and fried egg
Lunch tin mackerel in olive oil and four seeded LC crispbreads followed by four 100% cocoa buttons
Dinner bolognese sauce with one slice LC bread with garlic butter with large glass of red ( which I’m sure is cholesterol and bg lowering !) followed by one scoop of oppo salted caramel and one scoop of oppo chocolate and hazelnut ice cream served with dash of double cream yummy what a celebration.......
No caring tomorrow having a planned break we are off out for day to Bridgnorth a nearby market town for a mooch and lunch out and then a local hostelry we can walk to and back from for dinner in the evening. So food report may be later!
Congratulations for tomorrow, have a lovely time and enjoy all you do x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 I’m so pleased about your cholesterol results, really good going.
I may ask to pick your brains in a couple of months if my slightly dodgy results get any dodgier.
Also congrats on 43 years, I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow with plenty of cholesterol and bg lowering red wine.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, another cooler day here but dry so I’m not complaining.
B omelette with feta cheese coffee with cream
L chicken salad and a cappuccino
D pork sausage patties, kale, poached egg and mayo, chocolate almond nuts with thick cream

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled egg, smoked salmon and avocado. Coffee and cream. This has become my go to breakfast, very quick to preare, feels decadent and I’ve had my oily fish quota.

L: peppered mackerel fillet with salad of watercress, avocado, radishes, 3 cherry toms, walnuts and olive pil/ acv dressing. Chocolate chia pud to follow.

Afternoon decaff coffee and cream with friends at Pret.

D: courgetti carbonara. A friend gave us 4 enormous home grown courgettes. We used just 1 of them to give enough courgetti for 3 of us. Looks like we’ll be eating a lot more of it in the next few days.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nigella has another chocolate cake which is easily adapted in the same way as the chocolate olive oil cake I.e. swap the sugar for xylitol or whatever. This one has lime and margarita cream.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/flo...h-margarita-cream?source=mailer_rotd_20180718

On the subject of cakes, I’m intending to give this one a whirl, substituting ground almonds for the flour and erythritol for the sugar. Need to buy a loaf tin and ingredients at the weekend. Will report back.

https://www.momontimeout.com/lemon-zucchini-cake-recipe/

Reactions: DJC3 and jayney27

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I have known curries & chillies get far more potent by next use whether kept in the fridge or freezer, so good luck!

@shelley262 Congratulations on your results & impending 43rd Anniversary

I do find it interesting what you guys are all eating: I don't do the cooking in our house as I'm not that good apart from curry, salad & fruit salad, so I'm afraid it's all down to my good lady wife for the expertise; I just help as much as I can within my limitations!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the subject of cakes, I’m intending to give this one a whirl, substituting ground almonds for the flour and erythritol for the sugar. Need to buy a loaf tin and ingredients at the weekend. Will report back.

https://www.momontimeout.com/lemon-zucchini-cake-recipe/

Well that is very timely as we’ve just been given some huge courgettes!
When are you likely to be making this @Goonergal? I might wait til you’ve tried it.

I saw a DD recipe for zucchini crisps I might try too.

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couple of days to catch up on. Tuesday - boys first day at holiday club so I was up to drop them off. Bed 7.4 FBG 7.6
B. Couldn't be bothered eating. After dropping the boys off I had to get back and get ready to take brother for his hospital meeting and to be his "ears". He's recovering but not enough for chemo so back on 3 August for next review. Breakfast was Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. By the time I got brother home it was quick trip to get some shopping then home for a little while before picking boys up. Had another coffee and 12 pieces of Lidl's Dulano German sausage selection (The little bits).
D. Prawn cocktail, fresh anchovies, lettuce, 4 Santini tomatoes , 1/2 avocado, bit wensleydale cheese with cranberries.
Today - Wednesday grandson free but taking brother to visit sister. Morning before leaving was hellish! Went to pick up prescription I ordered last week only to find she'd forgotten to put my name on it so it had only gone back yesterday! I was totally out of 3 pills but managed to persuade the pharmacy to let me have 1 pack of each for now. Then after rushing to complete paperwork to renew my photocard driving licence went into Post Office only to discover they didn't do them so I've a drive on my hand tomorrow (it wouldn't let me do it online). Bed 6.7 FBG 6.9
B. Yet another Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
L. Nothing out visiting
D. Poached salmon fillet, 5 Santini tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, wensleydale cheese with cranberries and a little Helmanns. Bit of the infamous chocolate olive oil cake.
Another day of holiday club tomorrow, Aqua and hopefully I'll track down the post office I can get my licence at.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil you’ve done so well to stay lc with all that stress!
I’m glad to hear your brother is recovering, albeit slowly. I hope he’ll be fit enough for chemo in Aug.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil you’ve done so well to stay lc with all that stress!
I’m glad to hear your brother is recovering, albeit slowly. I hope he’ll be fit enough for chemo in Aug.
At least I did get my Driving Licence sorted out this morning. A bit of a drive as I said but it turned out I didn't need to complete all the forms DVLC sent me when it wouldn't accept online. All I needed was the renewal letter from them which I got a couple of days ago and my licence. It was all very painless. Narked I'd completed all their forms for no reason.
LC is about all I can deal with at the moment. My sister is perky enough but she's lost so much weight now. She's still coping though but it's tough knowing it's a matter of time.
I'm not convinced over brother's chemo though. It's seriously heavy duty and not many people can go the course. First session is 10 hours followed by a 15 min dose and by all accounts it knocks you for 66 by the sounds of it. I was more interested in the risks. There is only a 35% chance of the cancer returning but out of that 35% where it comes back only 5 people would be helped by this severe chemo. My head is asking if it is worth it when there is a 65% chance it won't come back and another 30% where the chemo won't have helped if it does. I think that's what he should focus on since they don't have stats on the damage the chemo does at his age.
If anything LC is easy since I don't feel much like eating anyway.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that is very timely as we’ve just been given some huge courgettes!
When are you likely to be making this @Goonergal? I might wait til you’ve tried it.

I saw a DD recipe for zucchini crisps I might try too.

Planning on buying the ingredients on Saturday morning and baking over the weekend.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Anyone want a frozen loaf of LivLife? Bought some earlier this week as reduced in Waitrose. Found myself unusually hungry this morning and tried a couple of slices with some almond butter. Result: spike to 7.8. Firmly on the ‘no-go’ list. BG has run higher than usual all day, accompanied by hunger.

Lunch was on the go at an all day meeting. M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos supplemented by a 30g portion of Cornish Cove cheese and 25g Parma ham.

Dinner - ditched planned experiment with an old home prepared meal I found in the freezer (high tomato content) as one spike per day is more than enough. Opted for pan fried sea bass fillet with buttered cabbage followed by clotted cream, some Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons and some salted almonds and macadamias.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was a nice prelude to weekend (tomorrow off work) so may well make some lo-dough quiches, and maybe those Buzzard Bites.

10am 2 97%meat sausages
1pm goatsmilk yog with added cream
7pm will be chicken rogan josh with peppers and aubergine. I will fish the bits of meat out. :D

The Buzzard Bites have a fab looking sauce made from cider, ketchup and Balsamic vinegar.
Obviously, this isn’t at all LC, so am cogitating trying a LC version. Cider, tom puree and GF soy sauce, maybe?
Anyone got a suggestion to replace the balsamic? Normally I wouldn’t mind a dash of it here or there. But this recipe wants a quarter of a cup!