1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

what is your bmi after low carb diet for a few months?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by millenium, Nov 3, 2018.

1. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

Did it drop significantly?

2. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Even though I don't consider BMI a true index of health I can say that reducing weight from 18.5 stone to in the region of 10.5 stone at present after regaining 7 Lbs from a low of 10.0 stones my BMI is now approximately 22.3 It had been 39 almost off the scale this was due to the effect of long term steroids cushings and then diabetes.

Must add it took a little longer than just a few months to bring it down more like two years on what might be called a starvation diet coupled with low carbing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Mine dropped down a bit after loosing a couple of kgs, but has been the same bmi for a fair while now.

194 cm / 95 kgs = BMI of 25.2

• Like Like x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Mine went from 43.5 to the current 28.4

• Like Like x 1
  5. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

6. BloodThirsty

BloodThirsty · Well-Known Member

That is a brilliant reduction and my results pale into insignificance in comparison.

I was getting podgy at 81.1kgs with a BMI of 24.9 at the end of April '18 and reduced to a BMI of 21.6 within five months (11kg loss).

This resulted in my HbA1c reducing from 45 in April '18 to 38 in Sept '18 with no medication.

7. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

My BMI fluctuates between 25 and 26, so I am technically over weight, but I don't care. I think BMI has stood the test of time as a loose population metric, but it doesn't work in all cases. My waist to height ratio is 50.70 (5"11, 36 inch waist).

https://www.shapefit.com/calculators/waist-to-height-ratio-calculator.html

MEN
    • Ratio less than 35: Abnormally Slim to Underweight
    • Ratio 35 to 43: Extremely slim
    • Ratio 43 to 46: Slender and Healthy
    • Ratio 46 and 53: Healthy, Normal Weight
    • Ratio 53 to 58: Overweight
    • Ratio 58 to 63: Extremely Overweight/Obese
    • Ratio over 63: Highly Obese

WOMEN
    • Ratio less than 35: Abnormally Slim to Underweight
    • Ratio 35 - 42: Extremely Slim
    • Ratio 42 to 46: Slender and Healthy
    • Ratio 46 to 49: Healthy, Normal Weight
    • Ratio 49 to 54: Overweight
    • Ratio 54 to 58: Seriously Overweight
    • Ratio over 58: Highly Obese

8. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

From BMI of 36 at diagnosis to 26 on moderate carbs (I was on a Paleo regime) after a few months.

I lost so much stored fat so quickly they couldn't read my cholesterol levels, they were so OTT, with triglycerides going through the roof (temporarily of course).

Once going low carb it is around 24.

9. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I think my bmi was about 44 at diagnosis and about 36 now. Still a way to go, but my volume is shrinking down gently even when my weight doesn't reduce.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, it has.

I started eating low carb eating shortly after being diagnosed at the end of June. My BMI was 48 when I started (Class 3, Morbid Obesity), currently it's 36.9, Class 2 Obesity, a reduction of slightly over 10 points so far. I still more weight to lose and yes, I do track BMI, along with weight (56.59 lbs so far) and waist size (down 7" so far).

Although my primary goal is normal blood glucose levels, my weight/BMI/waist size is an important health indicator so I do track it as well. (It also gives me "mini goals" to aim for ie. BMI into Class I obesity which would be 203 lbs, % of weight lost, 10 lb increments etc.) . When I accomplish a goal, I set another mini goal. I do this because psychologically it can be very overwhelming to set large goals of large numbers.

• Winner Winner x 3
    #10 Chronicle_Cat, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:01 AM
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Wow those are some pretty impressive numbers. Well done you.
    A 10 point reduction in BMI in 5 months is amazing! Brilliant work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. rosco 2

rosco 2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Since mid June I have lost about 2stone (28lbs) no idea of BMI as I believe this is not a helpful yardstick. Still porky round the middle but less porky! I walk a bit several times a week. Weight loss then stasis, then weight loss etc etc. Seems to be a pattern. That’s ok, big loss quickly rarely seems to stick so slow and steady is fine with me. Only downside is baggy skin.

13. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. OK, that's not the whole story, but it helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rosco 2

Bless you. I have a stash of bio oil so will start to apply.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've heard fasting helps prevent/get rid of loose skin to a degree through the process of autophagy (the body eating its own excess protein, in this case, skin). I do it sometimes, usually 16/8 (no food after dinner until noon the next day) mostly for better blood sugar levels and weight loss but it's also another reason for me. I don't have really have any loose skin currently (I don't know if it's too soon and if 56 lbs isn't enough weight lost yet although my belly "apron" overhang has shrunk a bit - 2.5 cm so far. Belly overhangs are usually seen in very obese people before they lose weight. I'm hoping it goes but doesn't leave too big a flap of skin behind.)

PS. edited to add, I've also heard drinking homemade bone broth can be helpful as it contains collagen. (It also has lots of useful nutrients and electrolytes.)

#15 Chronicle_Cat, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  16. rosco 2

Thank you also. I don’t have an “apron” just skin on abdo and thighs looking wrinkly which is effect of weight loss. As none of us can have everything, I will apply the oil and keep my fingers XX.

17. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Rosco, whatever you do, don't assess your self-assessed wrinkle from above, bending over a bit. That'll never help your cause. I'm afraid it's a nekkid in front of a full-length mirror, standing upright, if you can.

I'd rather just live on my own little planet where I'll never be old, or have flaws. ;) :) :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: :oops::oops:

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. rosco 2

I do naked!! Not sure about the full size mirror though. Could just ask beloved for assessment. Could be brutal despite being supportive :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Bittern

Bittern Type 2 · Well-Known Member

From BMI of 29 to 23 in six months

20. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Went from 92.6. kgs in June 2015 to 76 kgs in December 2015 currently hover around 73 kgs. BMI was 28.6 then 22.7 now 21.6. Weight to height ration .48/9. Don't feel that has achieved a whole lot for diabetic control or general feeling of wellbeing but it all looks fine on a screen.

#20 ianpspurs, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:24 PM
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook