What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just opened a can of Pek chopped pork. Tin was well in date. Outside tin was fine, no dents or rust.

I don't have a sense of smell or taste. I lost that when I had the cochlear operation.

I used the tin opener. Meat actually looked fine and pink. But something stopped me getting it out of the can. So, I stood there a moment or two, then my stomach began to heave as though something was bad. I haven't licked my fingers nor tasted it. Then I saw some black down inside the tin on the meat.

I realised it was really bad so wrapped it up quick and threw it in the wheelie.i couldn't stay in the kitchen, my stomach could still sense the stench.

I came back in the kitchen to find the feral tomcat that attacked Popeye a few times and caused his bad injuries sitting in the middle of the floor and looking at me.

I just said 'Out' to it, and it got out of the kitchen door and turned round and sat on the kitchen doorstep looking at me. Popeye was safely ensconced in his favourite spot in the potting shed.

I am off food now completely today. I am off tins completely. I have never opened a bad tin of meat in my life. I've thrown away tins that I have not been sure of the outside of.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A belated congrats to @alf_Josiah on the good results.

Sorry to hear the lifetime prescription @JohnEGreen

A hug for the trip, the daughters return to uni, sure you'll feel the loss & your sisters situation @mojo37

And oh dear @gennepher ...what a dreadful moment.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh...a little worse for wear today.
Fbg 6.4

Warning long post...Part 1

A pleasant day yesterday.

Beach bar, beach, swim, dogs & cats a plenty....bliss.

A trip out to meet one of our steffi's friends saw us sat in a swanky little restaurant.

Balloon bread, garlic mushrooms for starter,
Prawn casserole for Madame, pepper steak for moi, a white wine & one effes beer...£27 for both me AND Lauren...sacre blue.

Incredible value given the view, and the quality of the food.

The steak among the best I've had.

(since LCHF, steaks become one of my staples, so I learned to cook them to a reasonable standards, says madam,

High praise indeed from our homes domestic goddess).but this was a good few classes above my efforts..

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh...a little worse for wear today.

Warning long post...

A pleasant day yesterday.

Beach bar, beach, swim, dogs & cats a plenty....bliss.

A trip out to meet one of our steffi's friends saw us sat in a swanky little restaurant.

Balloon bread, garlic mushrooms for starter,
Prawn casserole for Madame, pepper steak for moi, a white wine & one effes beer...£27 for both me AND Lauren...sacre blue.

Incredible value given the view, and the quality of the food.

The steak among the best I've had.

(since LCHF, steaks become one of my staples, so I learned to cook them to a reasonable standards, says madam,

High praise indeed from our homes domestic goddess).but this was a good few classes above my efforts..
Glad your holiday is going well @jjraak
Sounds good!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
7.2 yesterday and 7.6 today
Off to Edinburgh monday with my daughter who is finally going back to uni ( virtual learning mainly )! might as well do an OU degree like myself . Be sad to see her go but she has been home since lockdown . Finally getting to see my sister on the way back home to Cardiff not sure how it's all going to pan out because her area in the north west of England is in semi lockdown. Haven't been able to see her since february. She has been been shielding for months had two nasty falls and has been stuck in hospital with no visitors. Home now, so see if I can help take care of her for a week then back home. I've had coronavirus so hopefully cant get it again and pass it to her.
The one thing I really enjoyed about the OU degree I did was the time spent at York University summer school which sadly no longer seems to be part of the OU structure oddly enough both Judith and I did our summer schools at York at the same time but hardly saw each other the entire time spent there.

My GS is back to Lincoln next Saturday but his course does not restart till next month he is not happy about the online stuff as it's his final year and it will be quite intensive he is aiming for a first and thinks it may be disruptive and detract from that.

Reactions: dunelm

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
PT 2

However, the night took a different turn as we left restaurant,.

Saying good night to our new found friends we head off to the "best cocktails in town" so we are told.

Here, we come slightly unstuck.

Not got my phone set up for roaming data,

And Lauren's is set up, but she's not so cluey with apps, etc.

Menu is on a QR Code which we are directed too...nice, no other menu.:rolleyes:

I click but can't connect, she can't find her QR scanner, so we give up and go to our standbys, long Island & expresso martini.

Now for those who don't know, long Island is a wicked mix of spirits and quite a lot of it for a cocktail.

Lauren is a "Sex in the city" fan, so knows her cocktails.

A back to earth English price of £19 for 1 long Island ice tea and 2 expreso martinis..

Then off to bed…….Mmhh

We then wander home, but stop and ask rental guy about scooter hire for Sunday,

Price etc.

Never, in my life have I had more weirder conversation trying to buy or rent something.

It went along the lines of .

" Can we hire a bike..?

A Yes but I'm not bothered, can you ride

B Yes, full licence travel docs etc, but needs to be 125cc or lower, for insurance purposes

A..your insurance, is no good

B it's just a stipulation of our travel cover.

A means nothing.

B ok we still need insurance, that's just the travel side.

A doesn't matter , doesn't count

B ok, I see ..do you actually rent bikes ?

( By now getting exasperated)

A yes any bike you want 250/125/50, petrol electric..whatever you need.

B ok a 125 please..with insurance

A ok but yours doesn't count..it's all meaningless, I only rent when I'm not renting industrial machinery, tractors etc.

By now Lauren has got involved.

L But DO you rent bikes

A yes, any type you want..

L a 125..with insurance

A yes yes, but it doesn't matter, I don't need to rent bikes, I have a hotel……

At which point i extracted us, and we wandered off giggling at the ridiculousness of the conversation.

To chill us out, we stopped by the river for one more...haha..who was I kidding.:hilarious::hilarious:

What a fool I was thinking one would ever be enough.

We sat and soon had a most interestingly weird conversation with a nice couple

we wandered from covid being mass control experiment, mask make no sense, big pharma is trying to kill us, food is as good as meds for many, then onto type 2 , B12 deficiency

LCHF, apartheid, Mandela,

An interesting range of topics, disputed but debated civilly

And £35 poorer, and very drunk , we mask up, and walk home giggling at the weirdness of the evening.

Because everything has gone so smoothly this hols..arrangements, finding bars restaurants etc we liked, we nicknamed this holiday The TRUMAN SHOW.

However last night we think the tapes got swapped out and instead played the island of Dr Moreau/shutter Island.

So we ended up sniggering as we made up stories about the gent ( now called Dr death)

Being part of some cult, a looking for organ donors., As we headed home in the VERY early hours.......ridiculous, but it was that kind of night.

Finally home 4 am-ish...oh dear, lol.
Will we ever learn...:hilarious::hilarious:

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Don't let Julie see that. Her Dad's family are from Nefyn although she was born in Chelsea. No1 son went to Uni in Bangor - apparently a top place for Countryside Management or maybe just a long way from Cambridge.
They do that, then who become their partners always want to live near their mammies! :)

Reactions: dunelm

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering how you were going to finish the cloud painting. I love this. I would like to visit this place. Actually, my mind has taken a moving snapshot of it, and I am wandering around and exploring while I am typing this...
That flower is absolutely gorgeous @Muddy Cyclist
Thank you. Also thanks for toothache info, hug for your tooth problem.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi John,
When I took further education at Lincoln it was a technical college and I was working at the same time.
D.
The one thing I really enjoyed about the OU degree I did was the time spent at York University summer school which sadly no longer seems to be part of the OU structure oddly enough both Judith and I did our summer schools at York at the same time but hardly saw each other the entire time spent there.

My GS is back to Lincoln next Saturday but his course does not restart till next month he is not happy about the online stuff as it's his final year and it will be quite intensive he is aiming for a first and thinks it may be disruptive and detract from that.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished work. Very hectic today so am late with fbs. It was 5.3. Hopefully will be able to catch up with posts either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A dark watercolour sketch from me today, probably resulting from this nagging toothache. Idea for a painting I have had in mind for a few weeks now A4 very quick. I will try a painting based on this idea during the coming week...
IMG_3797.JPG

Edit. Inspired by a sunset in a film I watched about Octopus off Cape of Good Hope.

lindisfel

Expert
7.2 yesterday and 7.6 today
Off to Edinburgh monday with my daughter who is finally going back to uni ( virtual learning mainly )! might as well do an OU degree like myself . Be sad to see her go but she has been home since lockdown . Finally getting to see my sister on the way back home to Cardiff not sure how it's all going to pan out because her area in the north west of England is in semi lockdown. Haven't been able to see her since february. She has been been shielding for months had two nasty falls and has been stuck in hospital with no visitors. Home now, so see if I can help take care of her for a week then back home. I've had coronavirus so hopefully cant get it again and pass it to her.Just editing my post because I sound a bit blase about having covid but I only really knew that I had it because I lost my sense of smell and taste and months later we had a chance ( with our trust ) to get tested for antibodies and lo and behold I had antibodies though don't know how long they will last.
Hi mojo,
Antibodies can last only two months but what is more important, T cells remember the virus and produce counter-measures next time it invades the body.
This last much longer.
D.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Tablets are a nightmare Charlie began on the anti-inflammatories with tablets now thankfully he has a liquid one so much easier with a syringe...he's being co-operative so far...good luck with the fingers.
Tablets are indeed a nightmare. The only time Cat Has me ever bitten me was on my fourth attempt to get her (now revealed to be him) to take a pill. In the end it was crushed up in a tiny bit of food. Your liquid version sounds so much easier.