What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
5.7 today.

Yesterday got a little nostalgic for yesteryear when tea was sandwiches of different varieties a cup of tea and a slice of cake and or a few biscuits or cheese and crackers hence the slightly raised fbg today.

I am learning new stuff every day especially about art this thread has been a true eye opener for instance I had always thought that an eraser was for correcting or rubbing out mistakes but it's not it's for drawing with and as much a part of an artists kit as a pencil a true revelation for me.

Maybe one day I will be able to put it all together and produce something worth while. If I can just control these shaky old hands of mine and persuade them to put on paper what I see in my head.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
What can I say 7 again with a 7.5

Afternoon, I gave you a hug, not for your reading, but for your despondency over a 7. Please remember that we are all different with different chemical laboratories inside us.

Some time ago these threads for early morning readings appeared to resemble a competition as to who can get the lowest reading, thankfully this is no longer the case.
As long as you test regularly and keep a record of what and when you eat, what affects your fasting blood sugars will become clear.
Well done and keep up the good work.

Reactions: karen8967

lindisfel

Expert
Oh for the pleasures of a bucolic life.

Next door and down road they let their free range hens out into the field that runs up to our property. They can't get through my fence, it has pig netting with a thick hedge but they come through their farm gate and our back wide gate and scratch around and eat the bird food.
It was much better when Mr Todd sorted them out a few months ago and subsequently the new hens were locked in their pen all day. Now their out again and in the garden, so I tried to make this one think the sky was falling in this afternoon with a long wooden clothes prop.
It did the trick but I would not say running round the garden is a complete cure to a dicky tummy.

He gets them for £1.00 each from an egg farm and c.20 birds, but I dont want them in my garden in their well earned twilight months.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been asked on another forum, would I please post a selfie of me in my purple hat with clear shield, and sunflower snood, (which explains I have hidden disabilities, otherwise I would not wear stonking sunflowers over my face), over my mask.

I said I would do so tomorrow.

So I have taken a selfie now. And thought I would give you a premiere...

May I say, I had no idea I looked quite like this.

The flu jab nurse a week ago tomorrow who told me to self isolate to protect myself against flu and Covid while the flu vaccine took, said my mask and snood was not sufficient to protect me because this is a hot spot area., and gave me a clear face shield which she said would be better for me to breathe,

But with this unexpected firebreak lockdown in place on Friday coming, I did need a bit more food shopping, while I can still go out to shop, so I can hide completely this next few weeks in my hermitage.

So this morning I added my purple hat with the clear face shield. I never looked in the mirror before I went out this morning. I can see perfectly clearly through this...

Do I really look like this?

I have to blame the flu jab nurse for this...

39DAB395-389C-4D66-BF06-A82513A62A3C.jpeg

By the way, I need to go to my bank in the morning...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Next door and down road they let their free range hens out into the field that runs up to our property. They can't get through my fence, it has pig netting with a thick hedge but they come through their farm gate and our back wide gate and scratch around and eat the bird food.
It was much better when Mr Todd sorted them out a few months ago and subsequently the new hens were locked in their pen all day. Now their out again and in the garden, so I tried to make this one think the sky was falling in this afternoon with a long wooden clothes prop.
It did the trick but I would not say running round the garden is a complete cure to a dicky tummy.

He gets them for £1.00 each from an egg farm and c.20 birds, but I dont want them in my garden in their well earned twilight months.

@lindisfel
My great-grandfather used to round up stray sheep, pen them, and then put a notice in the newspaper. Saying stray sheep found. Owner has one week to claim it, and if it wasn't claimed (it never was because of the newspaper he put it in), then he said in the newspaper advert he was going to to take it to the butcher and have it killed (I am pretty certain the butcher was in on this too).

So, you could do that with the hens on your property. Put a notice somewhere. Then just wring their necks a week later if they are not claimed, and pluck them. Then you have Sunday dinner...

Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been asked on another forum, would I please post a selfie of me in my purple hat with clear shield, and sunflower snood, (which explains I have hidden disabilities, otherwise I would not wear stonking sunflowers over my face), over my mask.

The flu jab nurse a week ago tomorrow who told me to self isolate to protect myself against flu and Covid while the flu vaccine took, said my mask and snood was not sufficient to protect me because this is a hot spot area., and gave me a clear face shield which she said would be better for me to breathe,

But with this unexpected firebreak lockdown in place on Friday coming, I did need a bit more food shopping, while I can still go out to shop, so I can hide completely this next few weeks in my hermitage.

So this morning I added my purple hat with the clear face shield. I never looked in the mirror before I went out this morning. I can see perfectly clearly through this...

View attachment 44732
Obvious who that is so disguise 101 needs a resit. However, you better be on your best behaviour in the bank whilst dressed as the sunflower kid.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Sacrifice to Plum Crumble was remarkably easy. :)

Your reversed paper art worked well, I like those subtle colours and grandeur of the scene. Yesterday my friends gave me some home made ink they had made from French Walnuts, having been inspired by your artwork I might give it a dabble today.

Hugs for your good lady with tummy upset, hope she is feeling better.
Thank you @Muddy Cyclist - walnut ink sounds interesting so looking forward to seeing how that works

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dunelm,
Looks like something out of Yosemite.
My working support who also went on the same course to Milpitas reckoned one had a blunt notice at the top the cliff. "If you go in the water here, YOU WILL DIE",
Its funny how the Yanks put things!

I guess you were never tempted by El Capitan?
D.
@lindisfel - would have loved to have a go at El Capitan but in the USA only managed the Appalachians and then Chimney Rock (where Last of The Mohicans was filmed). I did though do the Troll Wall in Norway - curtesy of HM Govt.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant @dunelm
I am collecting your hints and ideas...
Never thought of putting colour on the back. It can be too bright on the front. By the way I have colour ink sticks as well...and I grind them...on the slate.
That blue looks just the right shade on there.
Great waterfall through the trees...
Thank you @gennepher - I just used diluted watercolour paint but ink should be really good. When painting water on the back you might need something soft to rest the rice paper on - I used a felt pad.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.2

Okay...
Me back from the depths of the Polish shop near me. It is as enormous as the local Woolies stores used to be in the UK.
In and out in two seconds...nope...didn't happen...

A lot of new stuff had come in. So this was my phone camera on translate.
And I saw a Polish assistant with a clear face mask that looked interesting. Tried asking her about it. Not one word of English. But she was friendly. So a wee bit of miming and she realises I want one. eBay, she says 10 for £10. Good that eBay is a common word in every language ;)

I would need to do a hack with it to make it suitable for me, but going to look in a bit.

I was translating Polish, Russian, other languages and ended up with two baskets for fantastic stuff. I got all the cold meats I needed. Enough so I can go into my hermitage for a month.

One thing I was interested in and had problems translating, so tried asking. No one knew what I was asking, and English was near nil. Eventually a guy came, and he tried (so I ended up with four Polish assistants round me contributing their limited English!). Friendly laughter went on.

I am well stocked on chilled foods that are good for my diabetes for the next month. Probably the this extra circuit breaker lockdown will be on for longer than 3 weeks.

At the till the guy was friendly and helpful, and he laughingly gave me two huge bags of sweets. Which I graciously accepted as usual. But they are no good for my diabetes.

They carried my shopping back to the car for me.

However, the funeral parlour is two doors away, and they have lots of boxes inside to collect food for people who need it. So, I donated the sweets there, before I went home.

A positive morning.

I get home and my birthday present of David Austin rambling scented roses (my birthday was in July, not now!) was by my back door. It was from an internet friend. I have so many friends I have never met face to face!

I need a nap now...a long happy nap...

Here is my painting I did before I went out...in iPastels and Procreate...

View attachment 44722

I need sleep now...oh by the way I brightened up the day of a friend in Liverpool. I sent her a pic of how my face and head was dressed this morning. So, I am doing extra protection because the flu jab nurse was so insistent for my safety that I self isolate for 14 days. Obviously I now needed stuff with this impending circuit breaker lockdown.

I had my face mask on.
I had a protective sunflower snood over it.
Then on my head was a purple wide brimmed hat with one of those soft safety plastic shields all round the brim. I felt like a bee keeper...
I actually bought the hat and clear shield in case I was with someone that needed to lipread. That is why I bought it.

My friend said, if I entered a bank like that a year ago, they would have pressed the panic button for the police to get me, and I would have ended up straitjacketed in the funny farm.

She hasn't stopped laughing...

It takes less than a year for the definition of normal to change...

I do remember reading the newspaper when I was about 10 years old (1959?) and asking my mother why this man had assessed by a psychiatrist and then been locked away in the funny farm, just because he used green ink when he wrote with his fountain pen. I was scared for many years about this, and was very careful never to use green ink. Rebel me now uses green ink...
Fabulous day - Polish sausages are really good as is their sauerkraut (kapusta I think). green ink - secret agent? Wonderful fantasy tree glowing in the dark.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fabulous Sila - cunningly disguising the malevolence

Thank you. As they are the Arabic version of the succubus one wouldn't expect them to be ugly (my opinion of course) or they'd have trouble getting the job done ;)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 44732
Ah the famous Bonnie Parker rides again

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.3 this morning

rain, rain and more rain but at least it's not cold ;)

been working on some more wardrobe pruning and some cupboard sorting, I found a small stash of summer things put away in a box under the spare bedroom bed, I'd forgotten how big a size I used to be o_O:hilarious: double the dress size I am now.

upload_2020-10-19_17-48-24.jpeg

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@Muddy Cyclist - it amazes me what you can do with five minutes :joyful: fantastic sketch and lovely colour
- plum crumble :D

@dunelm - another interesting technique, I wouldn't have thought of adding colour to the reverse of the translucent paper. A good landscape enhanced by the subtle touches of colour :)

@Alien Aspie - I love your Jinn, a lady of mystery :)

@gennepher - sounds like you had a positive day. I love your tree painting, so much life :joyful:
the purple hat is a keeper :D

art bit -
from a photo I saw on the internet
upload_2020-10-19_17-56-55.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fabulous day - Polish sausages are really good as is their sauerkraut (kapusta I think). green ink - secret agent? Wonderful fantasy tree glowing in the dark.
There is so much there at the Polish shop @dunelm
Thank you for the compliments :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good afternoon all :)

rain, rain and more rain but at least it's not cold ;)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - sounds like you had a positive day. I love your tree painting, so much life :joyful:
the purple hat is a keeper :D

art bit -
from a photo I saw on the internet
View attachment 44734

I love your purple outfit @geefull
I think my purple hat might go well with it :)
Thank you for the compliments :)

A wonderful painting to wander around...I love that windswept tree on the hillside.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lots of Chicken Broth maybe?