What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. @lindisfel that is wonderful news about your daughter. @dunelm curates egg of a tale about the fridge freezer - do you not have a spare? @Muddy Cyclist take care with that shed roof. Aren't the particulars a little like an election manifesto- a beautiful wall for which Mexicans will pay? @karen8967 nice number to start the day. @Krystyna23040 enjoy the meal and avoid meat processing plants. @RFSMarch hug for Libre issue and I had almost forgotten how hit and miss the sensors are since I've had a couple of months off. I may have missed some people out, sorry. Pip Pip old toots, Moana, nappy changes, coffee for builder and year 37 to be getting on with.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
7.10am UK time. FBG 6.2
Motorhome living throws up some unique difficulties.
Stowaways for one.
Thing as that work, then dont for another.
The fridge freezer has broken down.
The sink does not drain.

Not to mention different sleep/wake patterns.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
4.9 this morning.

Judith says thanks for the kind comments on her sketch :)

@Muddy Cyclist the beech trees in Autumn colours is a lovely painting I like it so much.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fuming - Libre guy last time I had a duff sensor told me to call any time it failed but I don't tend to bother if it reads LO with a day or so to go.
This guy keeps insisting I do a blood test no matter how many times I have told him that as a writer it is not at all feasible to finger prick multiple times a day.
This is the first time they have ever flat out refused to replace one after failing almost straight away.

I am absolutely livid. With no work since March and self-funding I can't afford to have one fail so early and just replace it like nothing matters. So angry right now.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fuming - Libre guy last time I had a duff sensor told me to call any time it failed but I don't tend to bother if it reads LO with a day or so to go.
This guy keeps insisting I do a blood test no matter how many times I have told him that as a writer it is not at all feasible to finger prick multiple times a day.
This is the first time they have ever flat out refused to replace one after failing almost straight away.

I am absolutely livid. With no work since March and self-funding I can't afford to have one fail so early and just replace it like nothing matters. So angry right now.
Hug for the situation. Perhaps a little alternative fact may help e.g. a reading you know the sensor would give normally which a finger prick would also show. If asked what meter you use Tee 2 is popular. I hope you win bigly

Last edited:

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hug for the situation. Perhaps a little alternative fact may help e.g. a reading which you know the sensor would give normally which a finger prick would also show. If asked what meter you use Tee 2 is popular. I hope you win bigly
Yeah that actually crossed my mind after the fact because when I was having real issues with allergic reactions, often sensors would fail because the rash that formed dislodged the sensor. In the end the guy I spoke to then (and this is going 3 years back now) actually sent me a Freestyle Optium Neo for bloods.

So now my dilemma is... do I put on a spare, or ditch it for two weeks as I simply can't afford to burn through two like that at the moment.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't afford to have one fail so early and just replace it like nothing matters. So angry right now.
You need to wrote to the company is it Abbott? ...at the point of sale any goods or services must be fit for their intended purpose when sold within the course of a business... I hear many complaint about the CGM sensors I'm amazed no one has referred them to trading standards yet?...have a look at s.14 Sale of Goods Act.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah that actually crossed my mind after the fact because when I was having real issues with allergic reactions, often sensors would fail because the rash that formed dislodged the sensor. In the end the guy I spoke to then (and this is going 3 years back now) actually sent me a Freestyle Optium Neo for bloods.

So now my dilemma is... do I put on a spare, or ditch it for two weeks as I simply can't afford to burn through two like that at the moment.
Absolutely a rock and a hard place. Let us know how this is resolved and kudos to you for battling through this time.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...an odd weekend unsettled by lack of sleep which continued last night...the ongoing 'landscaping' next door continues at a snail's pace they pack up from work so early likely to take until after Christmas...lots of paperwork to do some invoices to raise...woke to a 6.6...grumpy today must make more coffee.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely a rock and a hard place. Let us know how this is resolved and kudos to you for battling through this time.

I mean - as laborious as my breakdown of a C25K can be (and I will forever chuckle at my cousin's still overweight husband who has never exercised a day in his life telling me I don't run fast enough on my treadmill) - I find it completely impossible that it would register low for that entire workout.

However - as someone pointed out in the Freestyle Libre FB page - I should have waited until it actually went kaput before calling... and not reporting it as LO...

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to wrote to the company is it Abbott? ...at the point of sale any goods or services must be fit for their intended purpose when sold within the course of a business... I hear many complaint about the CGM sensors I'm amazed no one has referred them to trading standards yet?...have a look at s.14 Sale of Goods Act.
Oh I have had many a conversation with them in the past when they went through a really bad patch of sensors continually failing.

God bless lovely pharmacists. Went to get a spare, and he sold me a blood testing kit as a backup for this scenario at cost. Got back on the phone with them with a reading of 7.7 from blood, and LO from old sensor, and new one is on its way. I also got the department to confirm to me over the phone that any replacements I have had from them in the three years I have used them have all been for failed sensors and never have taken the mickey... and I got them to apologise for suggesting I might be chancing my arm. So hopefully... all good.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from another exciting International Bin Day Celebration in the dark and dangerous north

The wonder wheel of a home made chicken chinese chow job with cauliflower rice came in at 5.1 this am

Well after lots of prodding, poking and the sucking of teeth, the fridge freezer has now been officially condemned - a replacement will be fitted this afternoon and the broken one taken away.

Another bit of landscape today - just ink onto rice paper. Have the very best day that you can for a Wednesday. I shall make some koffy and see what happens.

View attachment 44960

A great landscape @dunelm

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So hopefully... all good.
Well that's something I am amazed at how regularly these devices fail...they are so expensive even a few short days short of the 14 day period increases the cost considerably.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
and he sold me a blood testing kit as a backup for this scenario at cost
That's a kind gesture however I'd check the cost of the testing strips for the meter you were given...there's often a big difference between the various makes of meters/testing strips...often it's far cheaper & just as effective to buy a different one with the necessary strips.

lindisfel

Expert
I guess you are too young to be on Shackletons, John. One of our BBC guys was a navigator on Shacks, but judging by his land based skills, I thought it improbable! :)
But we were on our way to the West Coast of the States when one of the 747 aircrew, the pilot, announced we were flying over Greenland.
I said to the duchess, that's not Greenland, its Iceland. Later when we over flew Greenland he corrected himself.
I thought it funny.
D.

@ianpspurs congratulations to you both on your anniversary hope you both have a wonderful day.

Oh and Paphos is a lovely place one of my fondest memories sitting at one of the tables at the waterfront with good wine and a delicious meal in the sunshine.

Cyprus was a regular detachment for us with the Nimrods.

My fbg this morning was 5.7 seems I am stuck in an oscillatory pattern of late.

Our friend lives in Rushcliffe so from Thursday she will be in tier three we live in Ashfield so will remain in tier two a little upsetting for us as we try to visit with her regularly.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a kind gesture however I'd check the cost of the testing strips for the meter you were given...there's often a big difference between the various makes of meters/testing strips...often it's far cheaper & just as effective to buy a different one with the necessary strips.
To be honest it will do for what I need it for. Which is an occasional back up for the Libre - the mistake I made (given the lecturing harpies on the facebook page) was to call it in with it showing as LO and not waiting for it to actually fail.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I guess you are too young to be on Shackletons, John. One of our BBC guys was a navigator on Shacks, but judging by his land based skills, I thought it improbable! :)
But we were on our way to the West Coast of the States when one of the 747 aircrew, the pilot, announced we were flying over Greenland.
I said to the duchess, that's not Greenland, its Iceland. Later when we over flew Greenland he corrected himself.
I thought it funny.
D.

Shackletons don't worry me
Shackletons don't bother me
With four Griffon engines and flaps on their wings
Bless all their pistons and their piston rings
'though the bomb load they carry is small
Three fifths of five eighths of f**k all
You'll get no enjoyment from coastal deployment
So cheer up my lads bless 'em all.

Now they say that the Shack is a very fine kite
Of that there is no doubt
If you're in Korea with a MiG up your rear
Then this is the way to get out
Just be calm, be sedate
Don't let your British blood boil
Just sit up quite straight
Throttle back through the gate
And smother the b**tards in oil.

There are other versions of the song but this was slightly less offensive than the one we actually used to sing.

When I joined up my first posting after basic and trade training was to RAF St Mawgan at that time the Shackleton was still in service so it was one of the first aircraft I worked on did get to fly in them on a few occasions, and when they were taken out of service I ended helping stripping the gear out of one of the last ones felt quite sad about it really.

Reactions: HarryBeau

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Right - despite a slight flurry into life have taken this one off because it went steadfastly back to registering LO - taking rest of the week off and starting anew with the new month.

Reactions: HarryBeau