1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HarrisonK, Apr 24, 2019.

1. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Difficult to balance sometimes isn’t it? A juicy steak is lovely and low carb, but having it with salad, even with olive oil dressing to add fat does seem to make a difference next day.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone and what a bright and sunny morning it is at present in the dark and dangerous north.
    Fathers Day today and I can report a smattering of cards with the words “Dad” and also “Grandad” written on as well as a wee brightly wrapped parcel and a bottle of wine.

The wonder wheel of celebration and gaiety joined in with a brightly flavoured 5.1 and the tea in my tea mug is extra flavoursome. Even my dressing gown feels softer and lighter.

Have a great day if you can, stand in wonder if you can’t:

All I could see from where I stood
    Was three long mountains and a wood;
    I turned and looked the other way,
    And saw three islands in a bay.
    So with my eyes I traced the line
    Of the horizon, thin and fine,
    Straight around till I was come
    Back to where I’d started from;
    And all I saw from where I stood
    Was three long mountains and a wood

Edna St. Vincent Millay

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 6
  3. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

How much protein to eat is something that vexes me. T2 or not sarcopenia is a thing and being 64 next week I am obviously in the frail old wreck age group. There also seems to be quite a split amongst the gurus about this. I liked this from Zoe Harcombe - especially point 10 http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2018/02/protein-by-kevin-handreck/
    Mind you, my levels and A1c suggest I don't do control so well but if Harcombe bigs up this guy I think I will pay heed.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    #3423 ianpspurs, Jun 16, 2019 at 9:29 AM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The post holiday washing is enough to push anyone’s fbg up. If you’re going to Sainsbury’s my branch had moules in garlic butter on special offer - I bought some for lunch and thought of you.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
  5. trick60

trick60 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Good morning folks, a 5.2 on the dice, I hope the new pot of strips I ordered is as friendly.
    Hope all you fathers enjoyed your breakfast in bed, mine was imaginary but delicious with the eggs cooked to perfection and the bacon crisped just right.
    Meanwhile reality is calling and HRH requires tea and toast...have a lovely day all.

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 5
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  6. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh thanks will be going to Sainsburys in an hour or so stopping off at the launderette near there to dry some “tumble dryable” clothes. My drier died just before we went away it was a small Creda that gave me 28 years service. I was almost sentimental. Dont really want to rush out and buy a replacement in case we move but if this weather continues might have to!

• Like Like x 5
    • Hug Hug x 4
  7. dunelm

Good article and reflects the findings of others. A good article discussing protein intake and satiety can be found in the link below, summarised as:
    The analysis of half a million days of MyFitnessPal data indicates that:

• Our bodies seem to be happy with less energy when we provide it with adequate protein.
    • Low protein intakes correspond with the lowest levels of satiety and the highest energy intake.
    • Higher protein intakes tend to increase satiety and spontaneously reduce hunger.
    • Increasing protein from 0.7 g/kg LBM to 2.4 g/kg LBM corresponds to a to spontaneous calorie reduction of approximately 15%, even before we account for the higher thermic effect of protein.
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/05/17/how-much-protein-do-you-need-to-optimise-satiety/

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bildad

Bildad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The meeting was long but the majority of the decision making is now done. There is of course all of the actual prep to do and the good to buy. Thank goodness for on line shopping and deliveries. Fortunately for all involved I am not doing the cooking!!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. dunelm

Sorry to read that your dryer had given up the ghost. Always an issue when having to replace white goods. We have a condensing dryer but recently we have been considering getting a heated airier as at first glance they seem to be a cheaper to run and take up little space.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/around-t...drying-and-airers/electric-dryers-and-airers/

• Like Like x 2
  10. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Thanks for that summary and link, Ran some numbers on a LBM calculator which produced quite a range of results upload_2019-6-16_10-47-25.png

Implication being I need to eat far more protein? Somewhere between 150 to 300 gms which is way higher than the 120 ish keto would suggest. Also ran an analysis of protein from 100 gms of a few different sources which suggested chicken as best (I used thighs with fat) cheese and 3 eggs next with steak way lower. Double cream was negligible. All fits my biases and may explain why I feel so hungry on lc so naturally very wrong but entertained me so thanks again.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #3430 ianpspurs, Jun 16, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  11. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I hope you can find something useful in that.
    I need to study it all again.
    Thank you

>^..^<

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks, the roof tiles now look very stable..
    I can finally relax.
    I hope you find some relaxing time today.
    >^..^<

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Bubbsie

Bubbsie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks PM...I'm haven't taken the pain killers for a couple of days now...yes they have that effect on me too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 3
  14. Bubbsie

Bubbsie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes I downsized when I moved here from London theoretically dunelm...and I still have packing cases in the outhouse from 6 years ago...I really must get round to unpacking them or throwing them out some time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Goacher55

Goacher55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So we started watching a film last night. I closed my eyes to listen for a short while. 2.30 woke up having not taken my evening meds nor my evening readings nor my abasaglar. And cold too !

And missed the film lol.
    And my tea had gone cold .. this one hurt the most !

Long story short I am 6.6 this morning alongside a mixture of relief, crinkled neck and thirsty.

• Like Like x 9
    • Hug Hug x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Bildad there are those who would have the rest of us think that all the world's a minefield. So they plant mines of their own and then point them out to us in BIG RED LETTERS: "Here be dragons!" :)

• Like Like x 7
  17. SaskiaKC

Wow, you just flew me back 30 years in time to a friend/boyfriend of the '80s doing the prep work for Cursillo. I don't know if y'all have it -- it's a retreat for adults, so I imagine even more detailed prep involved to make them happy campers than it is for kids! :)

@ianpspurs , wishing you an early Happy Birthday, young sir! :)

6.1 for me this morning ... and here comes the KittenCat again, wanting yet another breakfast ... ^. .^

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon folks:
    Yesterday which was just for information Saturday, Mrs J and myself were taken by our eldest son up to the 5000th liver transplantation celebration held in Birmingham.

Just think about it 5000 single organ transplants, 10 000 kidney transplants, nominally 15 000 people able to resume their normal lives, working, partaking in family life.

15 000 people who owe everything to the kindness and bravery of the donor families.

It was a good day, we met some old friends. Attended some very informative talks on the science behind the drug therapies, the future of transplantation and the research behind the psychology impact of transplantation. The future looks exciting, but there will always be a shortage of donor organs.

So when you're walking your cat and petting your pooch, please think about signing up for the donor scheme and tell your families.
    When we finally got home after failing to correctly negotiate spaghetti junction I was treated to an Indian meal of some description which gave rise to reading of 6.9 this morning.
    Enjoy what's left of the day.
    Roasted leg of something or other this evening, the meat is to dark for it to be feline.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SaskiaKC

"Winner," @alf_Josiah -- except for that last bit!

I just learned the other day that one of my favorite Meals on Wheels deliverymen is a heart-transplant recipient.

Big hugs to you and Mrs J and y'all's son.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I did last night. I so wanted to watch the Alice Roberts documentary on Canterbury but thought it would be really nice to watch it lying down on the sofa - snuggled under a cosy throw. Big mistake - woke up and found I had missed the whole programme.

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook