What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay...I have made a start with the Xmas ducks.
Santa Duck and Reindeer Ducks are in place.
But I have come in so I can thaw out.
They need anchoring in better because of the high winds.

Yesterday I also found an Xmas Angel Duck. So, I have got him up too.

Here is a photo where I'm at so far...work is a bit slow. I am going to have a nap now, warm up and then see where I can get with this today....
So there is tinsel, shiny cd's, ornaments I found in the charity shop, snowmen, and lots more...

View attachment 45926
Lookin good, G, lookin good.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Six years is still longer than the PCs give people who don't toe their line. All sorts of nasties should have visited her long ago according to their "truths"
Maybe the limited low carbing she does do has helped. Before she ate a lot of pastry and potatoes as well as more bread. I am convinced that her perpetual struggle with her weight is due to her conviction that fat is bad.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ox cheek casserole with cavolo nero and trial of The Low Carb Food Company seeded bloomer today. On the face of that all seems as though it should fit LCHF. Y'all know my fbg trends and feelings about this WOE. I will be seriously miffed if the 2 hrs reading takes me above 5.5 - my 90 day average for the period 15.00 to 23.00 is 4.7 on Swipey, 3 things really bug me. Why, since that is about where I have been for 5.5 years, are my A1c levels such a disaster area (all non diabetic, average 5.6 over 5.5 yrs) - IMHO? (Was the cancer growing away then the chemical cocktail causing a problem over 18 - 24 months?) Why, if this is such a great WOE does it mainly leave me cold, hungry and largely tired? Am I right to feel gaslighted by the LCHF Happy Clappers? BTW, I'm loving the 73 kgs (BMI 22.1 ) I'm wearing today. If LCHF can't deliver bg control at least it can do some good. I really want to be a positive presence here but there are some awkward truths to confront. This is why I wonder if I should step away from here for a while.
Don't leave us, your ranting as you see it I shall just how many of us feel about the whole management of this. There may be some real success stories but for most it's all a mystery with many unknowns. Your input helps balance out the nagging questions we get when our BG is higher than others here, yours are very good in my opinion but I can also see why you question and have concerns, life needs a balanced viewpoint and you add that, stick around.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ox cheek casserole with cavolo nero and trial of The Low Carb Food Company seeded bloomer today. On the face of that all seems as though it should fit LCHF. Y'all know my fbg trends and feelings about this WOE. I will be seriously miffed if the 2 hrs reading takes me above 5.5 - my 90 day average for the period 15.00 to 23.00 is 4.7 on Swipey, 3 things really bug me. Why, since that is about where I have been for 5.5 years, are my A1c levels such a disaster area (all non diabetic, average 5.6 over 5.5 yrs) - IMHO? (Was the cancer growing away then the chemical cocktail causing a problem over 18 - 24 months?) Why, if this is such a great WOE does it mainly leave me cold, hungry and largely tired? Am I right to feel gaslighted by the LCHF Happy Clappers? BTW, I'm loving the 73 kgs (BMI 22.1 ) I'm wearing today. If LCHF can't deliver bg control at least it can do some good. I really want to be a positive presence here but there are some awkward truths to confront. This is why I wonder if I should step away from here for a while.
I wonder if something is skewing your Hba1c. I was virtually tearing my hair out because my hba1c was always much higher than expected. I knew the hba1c was definitely wrong but I had no idea why.

Then I read a warning on this site that there was potential for exogenous biotin interference in routine clinical laboratory assays that use biotin in their design. I checked and found that this includes some hba1c tests. I checked my B vitamins and found they contained a high dose of biotin. I binned the B vits immediately and Hba1c has been spot on since.

So if something as innocuous as biotin could cause major problems with my hba1c maybe something is causing problems with yours. Maybe the chemical cocktail. Maybe something else. Maybe you will never find out what it is.

I sympathise about the coldness. When ever I am around 9 1/2 stone I am so cold even in the summer. Closer to 12 stone I am really toasty. Mr K often says that he cannot understand how someone who is so cold is still alive. He is often shocked at just how cold my hands an feet are.

I would miss your posts if you stepped away from here.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't leave us, your ranting as you see it I shall just how many of us feel about the whole management of this. There may be some real success stories but for most it's all a mystery with many unknowns. Your input helps balance out the nagging questions we get when our BG is higher than others here, yours are very good in my opinion but I can also see why you question and have concerns, life needs a balanced viewpoint and you add that, stick around.
Thank you @Muddy Cyclist. Advent does interesting things to this suboptimal brain of mine.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if something is skewing your Hba1c. I was virtually tearing my hair out because my hba1c was always much higher than expected. I knew the hba1c was definitely wrong but I had no idea why.

Then I read a warning on this site that there was potential for exogenous biotin interference in routine clinical laboratory assays that use biotin in their design. I checked and found that this includes some hba1c tests. I checked my B vitamins and found they contained a high dose of biotin. I binned the B vits immediately and Hba1c has been spot on since.

So if something as innocuous as biotin could cause major problems with my hba1c maybe something is causing problems with yours. Maybe the chemical cocktail. Maybe something else. Maybe you will never find out what it is.

I sympathise about the coldness. When ever I am around 9 1/2 stone I am so cold even in the summer. Closer to 12 stone I am really toasty. Mr K often says that he cannot understand how someone who is so cold is still alive. He is often shocked at just how cold my hands an feet are.

I would miss your posts if you stepped away from here.
The cold is a real problem. For over 30 years I was always too hot and Julie was cold. We have now totally swapped around. I often need to wear base layer trousers in the house as well as several upper layers. I also need bed socks and PJs as well as the thickest quilt we can get. I'm one who really only wants to wear shorts, no socks and sleep as I was made without sheets, duvet or other rubbish.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The cold is a real problem. For over 30 years I was always too hot and Julie was cold. We have now totally swapped around. I often need to wear base layer trousers in the house as well as several upper layers. I also need bed socks and PJs as well as the thickest quilt we can get. I'm one who really only wants to wear shorts, no socks and sleep as I was made without sheets, duvet or other rubbish.
I have to wear bed socks also - even in a heat wave. Weight loss has always caused coldness for me no matter how I do it. I used to think it was because a lack of calories when I used to lose weight with low fat low calorie regimes. The weight never stayed off and it was so lovely to be warm when I gained the weight again.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to wear bed socks also - even in a heat wave. Weight loss has always caused coldness for me no matter how I do it. I used to think it was because a lack of calories when I used to lose weight with low fat low calorie regimes. The weight never stayed off and it was so lovely to be warm when I gained the weight again.
Hope Mr K is LC friendly. Lipreading, it seems Julie gives me GBH of my shell likes for not eating pwoply. I like youtube and have many pairs of headphones - some work underwater.

lindisfel

Expert

I thought you were here, Ian, because you are a social animal Ian and you enjoy interactions?

I had reactive hypoglycemia for many years and I know low carb works for me in this regard, but I have become very laid back about testing because whatever I do I cannot get my hba1c much below 45.

Sure the area under the graph is more like the fens than Cumbria, so that is ok by me.

Active tumours have far more nasties to dish out than blood glucose anomalies.

I like people, as you do, and I think this place is somewhere we can encourage each other on our journeys.

All the very best to you young man.
Derek

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought you were here, Ian, because you are a social animal Ian and you enjoy interactions?

I had reactive hypoglycemia for many years and I know low carb works for me in this regard, but I have become very laid back about testing because whatever I do I cannot get my hba1c much below 45.

Sure the area under the graph is more like the fens than Cumbria, so that is ok by me.

Active tumours have far more nasties to dish out than blood glucose anomalies.

I like people, as you do, and I think this place is somewhere we can encourage each other on our journeys.

All the very best to you young man.
Derek
I'm more skewed towards the hermit end of the spectrum. The reason I'm here is to make the rest of y'all feel good about yourselves/normal. As for laid back, I'm positively horizontal and slapdash compared to my father, God rest his soul.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope Mr K is LC friendly. Lipreading, it seems Julie gives me GBH of my shell likes for not eating pwoply. I like youtube and have many pairs of headphones - some work underwater.
Mr K got a real fright when I was admitted to hospital and was told that I was only hours away from a fatal coma. He shared my frustration that even though I was immediately put on insulin it was a real struggle to get blood sugars OK. They were swinging from hypo to hyper and I just couldn't get it right. Also it didn't stop the neuropathy in my leg getting progressively worse and I was also unhappy that the insulin caused a weight gain from 9st to 12st.

So when I discovered low carb he was a lot happier because it was so much easier than injecting insulin. I decided right at the start that I would not give up my favourite meals and make massive changes in the way I ate. I would just eat the same but no potatoes etc. and he would just cook potatoes and pasta and rice for himself. He quickly discovered that he much preferred my spiralised courgette to pasta and rice so just added potatoes as and when he wanted to. He liked it that I didn't go on at him anymore about bacon and eggs for breakfast being too high fat and unhealthy and really liked it that I now also would eat bacon and eggs and sausages. Although I draw the line at black pudding. Yuk.

He also loved it that I no longer insisted veggies being steamed because that was so healthy so now we have veggies stir fried in butter which he says is so much nicer. I must admit I do agree with him;

He still bakes his own bread and does have biscuits etc. but he has always not really overindulged with the sweet stuff. He is not addicted to the sweet stuff like I was.

So I suppose that low carb has worked well for us and we basically eat the same meals. If he wants a pie or fish in batter he does and I just have something else I really like. Also I am much less stressed on low carb because it is so easy. The only downside is that I lost the insulin weight and I feel so cold and am always having to switch the central heating up higher.

My Christmas present this year is a new toasty coat for when we are out walking.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay...I have made a start with the Xmas ducks.
Santa Duck and Reindeer Ducks are in place.
But I have come in so I can thaw out.
They need anchoring in better because of the high winds.

Yesterday I also found an Xmas Angel Duck. So, I have got him up too.

Here is a photo where I'm at so far...work is a bit slow. I am going to have a nap now, warm up and then see where I can get with this today....
So there is tinsel, shiny cd's, ornaments I found in the charity shop, snowmen, and lots more...

View attachment 45926

Looking good. There is a nice, tastefully constructed 35ft inflatable grinch up in Hartlepool that you may be able to borrow.

upload_2020-12-3_15-7-45.jpeg

lindisfel

Expert
I have the problem with feeling cold this last twenty years. Its got the point I wear a warm liner in bed over my pyjamas. I do have to get up to pee 4 or 5x per night.
None of the medical experts can offer a solution.
The duchess is always hot, she has to turn back one section of a two section duvet.
I swear she pulls the wrapping off me.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still haven't finished yet, had to come in, sleeting, and light fading.

His bedroom blinds have been twitching watching me. How do I know? My back was to him, but in two of the cd discs they are mirror-like and I could see him...so I turned round...he disappeared...

I am going to do more in this passage...and I might do something on The Snowman, but my idea involves silver foil...I don't know how that will fare in the wind....

I am stuffing the babygro father Xmas now this minute with foil, so I can bend and move him a little.
38E8B6EB-31D8-4986-96A4-E40279470147.jpeg

Reactions: mojo37

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr K got a real fright when I was admitted to hospital and was told that I was only hours away from a fatal coma. He shared my frustration that even though I was immediately put on insulin it was a real struggle to get blood sugars OK. They were swinging from hypo to hyper and I just couldn't get it right. Also it didn't stop the neuropathy in my leg getting progressively worse and I was also unhappy that the insulin caused a weight gain from 9st to 12st.

So when I discovered low carb he was a lot happier because it was so much easier than injecting insulin. I decided right at the start that I would not give up my favourite meals and make massive changes in the way I ate. I would just eat the same but no potatoes etc. and he would just cook potatoes and pasta and rice for himself. He quickly discovered that he much preferred my spiralised courgette to pasta and rice so just added potatoes as and when he wanted to. He liked it that I didn't go on at him anymore about bacon and eggs for breakfast being too high fat and unhealthy and really liked it that I now also would eat bacon and eggs and sausages. Although I draw the line at black pudding. Yuk.

He also loved it that I no longer insisted veggies being steamed because that was so healthy so now we have veggies stir fried in butter which he says is so much nicer. I must admit I do agree with him;

He still bakes his own bread and does have biscuits etc. but he has always not really overindulged with the sweet stuff. He is not addicted to the sweet stuff like I was.

So I suppose that low carb has worked well for us and we basically eat the same meals. If he wants a pie or fish in batter he does and I just have something else I really like. Also I am much less stressed on low carb because it is so easy. The only downside is that I lost the insulin weight and I feel so cold and am always having to switch the central heating up higher.

My Christmas present this year is a new toasty coat for when we are out walking.
Hug for the scary episode and I can see why Mr K is fully supportive. I'm much more wary of fat and fried food. I would tend to eat eggs poached with smashed avo on toast. My salmon every Friday is cooked in butter. I mainly have salad or veggies roasted in olive oil - drizzled over and shaken in a bag. Veggies are and always have been a major part of my diet. I now eat way more fish than I ever dreamed I would. I'm with you on black pudding and anything really with pepper. We rarely eat the same meal or even at the same time since I "lost the plot." As for coats, I have many. The latest one has batteries and heating elements. When walking I soon get hot so I need high tech breathable sportswear - must have a trendy label though.

Last edited: