What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mechanics used to do that with cars , some had no idea on basic fault finding techniques with electrical circuits.
D.
during my Army trade training in the 60’s, radio’s came with what we called an ‘idiot board’ - you just kept exchanging valves until it worked again. Later, when we had telephone exchanges with lots of circuit boards, you could start a diagnostic routine and a stop watch at the same time and when the fault number came up you could just carry out a simple division of time and get a pretty good estimate of which board to change (looking stuff up in manufacturers maintenance schedules - pah!).

Last edited:
Reactions: lindisfel

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not wishing to start a debate, but some people find it hard to differentiate between churchianity and Christianity, me and me's have seen to many people suffer and die unjustly to accept etc, etc. This is not an attack on anybodies views, but is me and me's views. Do not take offence.
All views need to be respected, I have never been able to understand why people become so offended when views different to their own are muted. Take care @alf_Josiah

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All that is very true @ianpspurs
Mr Insensitive has inadvertently opened a gateway to magic...
There is a very famous story about a small bird which gets mired in cow waste. The weather turns very cold and some animals die. The small bird survives due to the heat of the ordure. The moral of the story is not everyone who poops on ya does you harm. Keep us informed of Santa's adventures please.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a far too early start here in the dark and dangerous north - woke at 4, drat.

The wonder wheel of some pulled pork (well rillettes de porc really) and a couple of eggs with some mushrooms came in at 4.8 this am.

I used to love listening to Alistair Cooke. My letters from America now come from my sister - mainly zoom calls, text messages and photos. She, her husband and two small children (she is over 30 years younger than me) live in Arkansas, having moved there from Texas before covid for work and it’s where she and her husband grew up. Now, no jobs, furlough is just another word for unemployed with little or no safety net and trying to convince people that wearing a mask and social distancing is not an infringement of there constitutional rights is a losing battle. We are helping as much as we can. We have been to the USA many times and love the places and people that we have met but it’s selective snapshots. We once spent some time with a homeless veteran and his wife on Coney Island - an ex Marine - and I thought it was bad enough here in the UK. Land of the free - my ar*e - land of the polarised and controlled more like it. Oh! Sorry - I’m beginning to rant - hope you won’t be offended.

On a lighter note - I did manage to put one tree up yesterday without any supervision - today, my plan is to trim the tree (do we still say “trim the tree”) - sadly I fear that some supervision may be exerted so perhaps I should get on with it while my carer is still practicing laps for the Olympic sleeping team. Have a wonderful day if you can. Todays picture is made up of a melange of memories around the Marmolade in The Dolomites - more koffy needed.

upload_2020-12-6_7-46-51.jpeg

lindisfel

Expert
during my Army trade training in the 60’s, radio’s came with what we called an ‘idiot board’ - you just kept exchanging valves until it worked again. Later, when we had telephone exchanges with lots of circuit boards, you could start a diagnostic routine and a stop watch at the same time and when the fault number came up you could just carry out a simple division of time and get a pretty good estimate of which board to change (looking stuff up in manufacturers maintenance schedules - pah!).
Hi D.
I well remember the old valve purges when the valve tester was plugged in next to the kit and all the valves were tested to see if they were up to spec.
The senior shift engineer did that sort thing at Sutton Coldfield when I was there in TV transmitter training in 64.

He was a character, he got out the kit he had welded up in the workshop and set up the 'toe in' of my Heartbeat type Ford Anglia.
I felt really uncomfortable with him under my car sorting it when the E.i.C came round the corner with him still underneath my car. But they just chatted away unconcerned with Tommy T. sorting my Anglia talking from under the car.

The E.i.C was a captive by men from the land of Nippon, so not a lot got him upset...
Just Japanese produced electrical kit.
Sorry I digressed.
D.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Drat, forgot this bit:

@geefull - thank you for your comments. Another strong piece from you today - I like the way you added colour along the shoreline and then lightened your pallet back through the mountains and into the sky.
@Muddy Cyclist - kestrel - loads of movement packed into that quick sketch.
@gennepher - grotto now to be re-named Santa’s troglodyte massive.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a very famous story about a small bird which gets mired in cow waste. The weather turns very cold and some animals die. The small bird survives due to the heat of the ordure. The moral of the story is not everyone who poops on ya does you harm. Keep us informed of Santa's adventures please.
I didn’t know that story @ianpspurs
Thank you for that :)
I will :happy:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
so please don't burden Mr K when he is engaged on work of International importance.
I only hope that his work of international importance does not clash with my very important work as I am only half way through my research project of extensively testing every type of coffee that Nespresso produce.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi D.
I well remember the old valve purges when the valve tester was plugged in next to the kit and all the valves were tested to see if they were up to spec.
The senior shift engineer did that sort thing at Sutton Coldfield when I was there in TV transmitter training in 64.

He was a character, he got out the kit he had welded up in the workshop and set up the 'toe in' of my Heartbeat type Ford Anglia.
I felt really uncomfortable with him under my car sorting it when the E.i.C came round the corner with him still underneath my car. But they just chatted away unconcerned with Tommy T. sorting my Anglia talking from under the car.

The E.i.C was a captive by men from the land of Nippon, so not a lot got him upset...
Just Japanese produced electrical kit.
Sorry I digressed.
D.
That Heartbeat Anglia is still available for photo-shoots just down the road in Goathland.
upload_2020-12-6_7-58-6.jpeg

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and 6.1 for me today.

Damp and dreary here today, so an indoor day. Furniture to herd into different places as floor fitter is delivering the new floor ready for fitting later in the week but apparently he wants to template the hall and kitchen floor so he can cut the board at his workshop, he needs a flat surface to lay Parquet, thus empty space is required.

Keep safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only hope that his work of international importance does not clash with my very important work as I am only half way through my research project of extensively testing every type of coffee that Nespresso produce.
Sounds like you and Julie are being funded by the same Think Tank. I don't buy that much she says - so how come with the last order Nespresso sent another complete outfit? My own fault for saying of course dear when on last year's John Lewis raid. Lockdown/sensible behaviour has some good points.:angelic:

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.4 ➡️
I will take that on a bit more of a carby day than I would normally have.

More golf today and my newly purchased mini boot cover has already earned its keep with muddy wheels of my Squeaky McSqueakface, the ancient golf trolley.

This time packing my fleecy ski hat and neck cover... and glumly listening to rain. It was supposed to rain yesterday and it was gloriously crisp (read bright and schnuffin’ cold) ... I need to get winter golf shoes and proper waterproof trousers. Sigh.

Got my first Christmas cards so... I need to dust off my list and brave a bad-tempered town centre is the other day in M&S was anything to go by (other stores are available)... tree maybe going up next weekend. Will liberate it from the bomb shelter when I decant the golf bobbins later today.

Arthritis giving me a LOT of gip today... probably related to swinging a club and the cold. That is giving me a touch of the Bah Humbugs this morning.

look forward to admiring artwork later.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doubt it will, those stalwart testers will probably end up dozing a lot whilst yours will keep you wide awake. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. Off to Sheringham Park this morning. Have to make a detour on the way there to borrow @ianpspurs heated coat as I think it will be really chilly.
You would be more than welcome and Mr K even more so. Please fill his hip flask and be a good gel and drive. He may also need some "German milk" in his tea or coffee. Jamesons works a treat for that kind of medicine.
ETA: German milk was my grandfather's phrase which he claimed he picked up in the trenches during WW1. Fine by me. BTW, he was full of admiration for the Salvation Army who he claimed were the only ones to bring tea to the trenches - I doubt they added German milk:angelic:

Last edited: