What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

JFWinstone

5.3 this morning. Went out with my support worker up to the high street to pick up meds and pop into the library. Went to the coffee shop afterwards, spent ages trying to figure out what to drink. Support worker thought the almond milk would have been fine so went for the almond milk latte with sugar-free gingerbread syrup, looked it up once I got home to find out they use the sweetened version of the milk and it has a load of carbs in it :oops: With everything I have planned, I should still stay below 50g carbs so it's not the end of the world it's just a lot of carbs in a drink. I just need to find something I can have/like that's not too heavy on the carbs, that's lactose-free/dairy-free, maybe just one that uses less milk? I can do black tea but definitely not black coffee.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.7

Royal Mail does deliver Mail in the early hours.

Remember I was disturbed to get an early morning letter delivery awhile ago between midnight and 4 am, and you kind lot suggested it had been delivered into the wrong letterbox in day time, and the recipient had posted it into my letterbox in the early hours. It still seemed odd though.

Well, I have had several more midnight to 4 am early morning letter and packet deliveries through my letterbox since then.

And this morning was no exception. The letter on top startled me. A brown envelope from "On Her Majesty's Service", only, because it was early hours my brain read "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

With gingerly trepidation I opened it. It is from the Office of National Statistics, and they are running a UK online study and they would like me to be a part of it. And I will be offered a £15 voucher for doing so....

There were other nice things in this post, plus one whopping bill (which I don't have the funds for... oops). Can I bury that bill in the garden?

Anyway I need to be out early this morning. Our kind Welsh First Minister has all but cancelled Christmas for Wales. Announced yesterday. And instead of going to the more severe Level 4 lockdown on 28 Dec, it now starts 6pm on Xmas Eve. With more severe restrictions added immediately after Xmas Day. I found out when I got some furious emails from friends who now have to restrict their Xmas Day plans when they had been initially promised they could have them, and lockdown was to start on 28th Dec.

It starts now at 6pm Xmas Eve when the shops have to shut, apparently this goes on to the end of January 2021.

How about just cancelling life? Just cancel existence.

So now I need to go out this morning early. Actually shops round have started opening very early now, even the card shop opens at 7 am (probably hoping to get some the Morrisons foot traffic, it is next door).

I had made my last Amazon order, but then realised a few small essential things (like I need a new mop head among other things, I have wooden floors to clean) to me that I would need, (but not in the Welsh Government's idea of essential stuff that got roped off in supermarkets last time).

Racking my brains now for these little non-essential essential items...

In the meantime, in this topsy turvy world, I offer Striding Edge as my daily painting...in Procreate....

Bye...off to fight the early morning hordes of shoppers for those empty shelves that probably happened yesterday afternoon after that announcement....

View attachment 46308
Just been looking at your days art and the light on the mountain ridge, I often go back to the days art and take a longer look. Are you sure it's Sriding Edge? The more I look at it the more it reminds me of Crib Goch Snowdon, not that it takes away from the skill in producing such a fine digital picture of the composition, just wondered. :)

Reactions: alf_Josiah

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a very small number of scientists in the world that I can say I am a big, long term, 'fanboy' of. Today I found out that my personal top two had met up and exchanged ideas, I never knew!

The result is fascinating (to me) and some here might enjoy this engagement.

Enjoy :)

I had a sleep when I got back from my shopping expedition. Then I watched this. Finished it just now.

Two very engaging people. I got glimpses of understanding (as a feeling, not in words), but there is so much I don't know what they are talking about i.e. the theories.
Found the transcript of that You Tube video, and I'll be looking up some of the names and theories.

One reason I am interested is because of the Cochlear Implant I had, and how and why it affected me the way it did, being a totally profoundly deaf person receiving it. And the simplest way I can put this, is that the Cochlear Implant messed up which I am assuming were my (unused hearing) neural pathways that had I presume, my visual creative neural pathways had hijacked from birth, since they were sitting idly doing nothing because there was no hearing to stimulate them.

I have read research on the brain on the internet, and have some books on the Brain that I read in the potting shed.

However, I need to read the transcript (yes I watched the video with the subtitles and sound), because that is a different experience, as I read with no incoming sound. This means my sound processor is turned off. And I can engage with my brain better, reading with no sound. And I can look up the theories they are talking of.

Thanks for posting this You Tube video @Alien Aspie

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been looking at your days art and the light on the mountain ridge, I often go back to the days art and take a longer look. Are you sure it's Sriding Edge? The more I look at it the more it reminds me of Crib Goch Snowdon, not that it takes away from the skill in producing such a fine digital picture of the composition, just wondered. :)

To be honest @Muddy Cyclist I thought it was Striding Edge, but I have posted the postcard to my postcrossing friend today, that I used for inspiration. I never wrote down the written details on the other side of the postcard.

So, you may be right. If I still had the postcard I could check. But I cannot. It was a very old postcard, about 50 years old or more.

What does anyone else think?

I do that too. I often look at initial things/paintings/photos on my tiny phone screen, then later in the day, at leisure, I look on my larger iPad screen, and things look a lot different.

It doesn't sound good that those horses may not receive the services of your farrier son due to Covid rules and interpretations of them.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a good morning getting the last odds and ends of things I needed. But I reassessed the shops I went to if they were crowded or not enough mask wearers and left. I ended up at a garden centre, which I have not been to all year because of Covid. They do sell other stuff too, so I managed to get whatI needed there.
The garden centre was totally deserted at 9 am. Weird. I paid a bit more for some stuff but it was far safer to shop there.
People were very friendly. So many people said Good Morning, or a greeting of some sort (I couldn't lip read through their masks!). But their eyes said Good Morning also! Or their eyes said a greeting. And I guessed with my responses!!! And there was a bit of mime involved at one point!!!!!!
So a friendly lovely morning.
But I was tired when I got back, and had a long nap with cat nestled under my chin.

In theory I have enough fresh and chilled food to last until the second week of January, when I need to go out for something. Of course I have tins and dried stuff should Covid be raging rampantly.

Oh, I did notice there was a Covid testing centre at the hall by the police station a few minutes from here.

And then I drove past the Rainbow Hospital which has not been used yet to my knowledge, and it is now a Covid vaccination centre, by appointment only, it said on the notice outside.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 this morning. Went out with my support worker up to the high street to pick up meds and pop into the library. Went to the coffee shop afterwards, spent ages trying to figure out what to drink. Support worker thought the almond milk would have been fine so went for the almond milk latte with sugar-free gingerbread syrup, looked it up once I got home to find out they use the sweetened version of the milk and it has a load of carbs in it :oops: With everything I have planned, I should still stay below 50g carbs so it's not the end of the world it's just a lot of carbs in a drink. I just need to find something I can have/like that's not too heavy on the carbs, that's lactose-free/dairy-free, maybe just one that uses less milk? I can do black tea but definitely not black coffee.

That is a nuisance when you have carefully worked out your carbs @JFWinstone

I tend to go for a herbal tea, sometimes a black coffee, to be safe.

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Not sure if this is a spoof text from Suffolk Police:

Gentlemen, please ensure you are indoors and all curtains and blackout blinds are fully closed when roasting your chestnuts on an open fire.

I fear for your neighbours @alf_Josiah if you haven't put the proper measures in place in a more genteel area such as Tilehurst. Our Friends in The North probably do such things in the town square - men as well.

Who me and me's?

I showed this posting to Mrs J. Mrs J thanks you for making her laugh.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Who me and me's?

I showed this posting to Mrs J. Mrs J thanks you for making her laugh.
I am so pleased to hear Mrs J was able to laugh as I imagine her days to be a tad fraught what with you confined to barracks more in winter months. I need to go to A and E - nasty scalds on my feet. Julie was busy and asked me to help with a sponge pudding in a tin. Instructions were easy enough. Pierce lid and stand in boiling water.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a lovely dog walk this afternoon. It was sunny and felt really mild.

I have finished writing Christmas cards. All are posted and local cards have been hand delivered. I feel as though I have walked miles.

Had a lovely phone call from the lady we bought Archie from 14 years ago. She really did love him and still sends him birthday and Christmas cards. He was a totally bonkers and out of control young chocolate Labrador and she had to keep him in a crate 23 hours a day or he would have destroyed her house.

Re-training him was exhausting but so worthwhile. We were lucky because our 12 year old Labrador Saffy helped with the training as she taught him how to interact with other dogs as he was completely clueless.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a lovely dog walk this afternoon. It was sunny and felt really mild.

I have finished writing Christmas cards. All are posted and local cards have been hand delivered. I feel as though I have walked miles.

Had a lovely phone call from the lady we bought Archie from 14 years ago. She really did love him and still sends him birthday and Christmas cards. He was a totally bonkers and out of control young chocolate Labrador and she had to keep him in a crate 23 hours a day or he would have destroyed her house.

Re-training him was exhausting but so worthwhile. We were lucky because our 12 year old Labrador Saffy helped with the training as she taught him how to interact with other dogs as he was completely clueless.
I can't reveal private conversations but there are spouses who urgently need the assistance of such training for exactly the same issues. Are you willing to travel? I think we all know who we are talking about. No names, no pack drill

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on Lawn Tennis Association 4 day job @RFSMarch
Just seen the good news that also the Furlough scheme is being extended to April as well... so that takes some of the pressure off in terms of starting the great 2021 job hunt....

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
I can't reveal private conversations but there are spouses who urgently need the assistance of such training for exactly the same issues. Are you willing to travel? I think we all know who we are talking about. No names, no pack drill
Really?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's Advent poem is O Sapientia by Malcolm Guite. Guite is an engaging speaker IMHO but this is very long- could be interesting to some but I can quite see how many would either not have the spare time or would be averse to something too religiousy. Good watch on a dark evening when doing vital testing. I had to test some Cacassonne wine earlier. Nasty business but vital work.

lindisfel

Expert
Today's Advent poem is O Sapientia by Malcolm Guite. Guite is an engaging speaker IMHO but this is very long- could be interesting to some but I can quite see how many would either not have the spare time or would be averse to something too religiousy. Good watch on a dark evening when doing vital testing. I had to test some Cacassonne wine earlier. Nasty business but vital work.

Ian,
John's gospel chapter 1 is written large throughout that poem. Much enjoyed thank you.
Derek

lindisfel

Expert
Personally, I'm grateful that you took the time to do that.

The nature of reality is a very interesting question A.A. I listened all the way through but only got the slightest gist of what it was about.
For a lot of my life I was affected by lucid dreams where I knew I was dreaming and could guide what I dreamt. That gives one a different perception of reality so I have a receptive mind to unusual concepts.
regards
Derek