What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
I had to try more places because there was no ice nor fans for love or money.
So, think outside the box I said to myself...
So, I tried along shot.
There was a freezer full of ice there, and two whole shelves of fans. I bought 6 bags of ice, and their freezer was still full, and 4 fans, and even that barely made a dint on their shelves.
Got home. It was 24C when I left at 7.30, and is 29C at this minute, 12:30pm.

Then Amazon delivered a humidifier fan, but it was something I had ordered days ago. I fell asleep the moment I got back home from the successful expedition, and I awoke to my phone vibrating on my chest to say that my fan had been left with a receptionist. RECEPTIONIST!?!?
So I went to usual hiding place for Amazon.
No humidifier fan.
I was getting worried because it had been a bit expensive. Went to outside front door.
No humidifier fan.
All I wanted to do was sleep.
So, it was hunt my overgrown front garden for this box.
In the meantime I noticed I was the only resident on my side of the road in 20 odd houses who was at home, the others never came back even last night. And on the other side of the road where the residents were sitting on their shady doorsteps, because the backs of their houses were full sun, there was now only one resident sat on the doorstep because all the other residents had vanished from 20 odd houses on the other side of the road. I bet they don't come back tonight either.

All these bungalows are very badly built to cause overheating problems of this magnitude.

I finally found my humidifier fan box in my cherry tree ?????!!!!!

I am going to sleep now, I don't want to wake up until this heat is over.

I wonder where I will find my delivery of fans that is due to come later today...

EDIT: when I went shopping on Monday, nearly all the chiller cabinets were out of action with puddles of water all over the floors of the shops. This morning, I found a cheese chiller cabinet that seemed okay, so I reached for some hard cheddar cheese, only the cheese was softer than putty. It went out of shape immediately just by holding it, and so I am pressing and moulding it through the clear plastic covering. I put it back on the pile of cheese, only it had arms, legs, a body and a head now...

I wasn't being mischievous, I was absolutely fascinated that a cheddar cheese was mouldable like this. None of it was fit to eat, the temperature was not cold enough...I was just warning people...

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good hot again Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, with or without a fan or three.

A 5.2 this morning on that scheming meter.

Afternoon posting seem to becoming a habit and seeing as I have a routine liver clinic appointment early tomorrow morning it could well be another afternoon posting tomorrow.

Well fellow posters, painters and gamers and me and me's hope you are all doing the best you can given this heat wave.

Stay apart and avoid the .......

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Best wishes for the liver clinic appointment @alf_Josiah. I'm watching some highlights from Tokyo '64 - I remember that. Ann Packer, Mary Rand, Lynn the leep and Ken Matthews. I do like some Ho, Ho, Ho lympics but they are much better now the athletes are in colour. Some supermarkets are offering a variety of lame excuses for empty shelves:
"supermarket fridges and freezers in the UK are just not built for these temperatures - they can't cope and fall over until such time an engineer can fix them."
Climate change deniers of the world unite.

Reactions: geefull

lindisfel

Expert
It about as hot as I have known it up here, its even too hot in the shade to sit out.
We have two bedrooms I built 50 years ago on the north side of the house and up to now they always stay cooler in the hottest weather.
D.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It about as hot as I have known it up here, its even too hot in the shade to sit out.
We have two bedrooms I built 50 years ago on the north side of the house and up to now they always stay cooler in the hottest weather.
D.
Hug for the heat Derek. I feel sympathy for construction workers now encased in hi vis gear and helmets as opposed to the shorts and no top from the days of yore. Also, how the Dickens did Th'Ole Fen boys cope hoeing beet and its predecessors in this kind of heat?. Rare back in the day but not unknown. Clothing would have been thick and reek of manly odour. I know many had leather pieces soaked in cold tea on which to suck but there aren't stand pipes in Block Fen.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Your first pic @SlimLizzy shows a too big tree too near your house, and with the height of that tree the roots would have been under the walls of your house, maybe causing structural damage.
The 'comedy' act of Little and Large did not help reassure you.
It is done now, and it is probably for the best.
If you had left it with just some branches cut off, even though it righted itself, it was still vulnerable to a high wind, and could have fallen on your property still.

You can set out to create more resources for your wildlife. At least your house is safe from the tree.
Thank you for your kind words @gennepher I have spent the morning travelling back in time - visiting all the ways it could have been different...while cutting off and bagging the leaves for compost. MrSlim wanted to know if I was going to compost the nuts as well. Perhaps I should. Have filled the small trailer with twigs and small branches, major addition to the burning pile.
MrSlim has been otherwise engaged in a far more skilful task, plastering the last wall in the kitchen.
Hope you are managing to keep cool.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Afternoon posting seem to becoming a habit and seeing as I have a routine liver clinic appointment early tomorrow morning it could well be another afternoon posting tomorrow.

Well fellow posters, painters and gamers and me and me's hope you are all doing the best you can given this heat wave.

Good wishes for the hospital appointment @alf_Josiah

Reactions: alf_Josiah

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Popeye just asked to go outside. I tried explain it was cooler indoors that outside, but he wouldn't have it.

Merryweather was outside the glass door. I was using my old iPhone to take pictures, but it went into total overheat mode in the garden. I thought it was going to burn my hand, so shut it down. It is now sitting on a 'bed' for an old laptop I had, which has several fans spinning away to cool it down.

Popeye lasted two minutes on the bare earth, then he got up and came back inside and is hugging a fan...

Merryweather scarpered. Then we were joined by a bee who couldn't fly but tried to keep up with us...

And I need some more power banks. Two have just packed in. I have had them the last 6 years, so I need to get some more...

A02E20CB-4DA2-4703-9DC6-391049435144.jpeg

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.3 today

volunteering day today so we're not long home :) It was quite cool when we went out but it's not cool now although we're lucky to have a sea breeze which helps, plus our main walls are very thick.

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@JohnEGreen - congratulations to your grandson, well earned :)

@dunelm - very fine foliage effect you've managed in your sketch today :)

@gennepher - It's good that you managed to get some more fans and I hope your day has gone well for both yourself and Popeye, he was sensible to keep his outdoor adventure short I think ;)

@alf_Josiah - I was lucky enough to meet 'Mr Preview' a couple of times in my youth after LSO rehearsals when he was their conductor, he was very pleasant and had quite a sense of humour :joyful: much like yourself :D
Hope your hospital visit goes well tomorrow ;)

arty bit - an abstract landscape inspired by an American artist called Robert Roth who usually paints in acrylic, I like the way he reduces his landscapes to a very spare but strong image and the way he handles light in his skies :)
painted on Bockingford CP paper, I'm really enjoying this paper.
upload_2021-7-22_18-3-3.jpeg

lindisfel

Expert
Hug for the heat Derek. I feel sympathy for construction workers now encased in hi vis gear and helmets as opposed to the shorts and no top from the days of yore. Also, how the Dickens did Th'Ole Fen boys cope hoeing beet and its predecessors in this kind of heat?. Rare back in the day but not unknown. Clothing would have been thick and reek of manly odour. I know many had leather pieces soaked in cold tea on which to suck but there aren't stand pipes in Block Fen.

Hi Ian,
I remember it as hot in summer and the police on point duty in Lincoln came out in their whites.
Regularly in low 90s in summer peak heat but equally perishingly biting cold in winter when the windows at home had floral frost patterns and we were making slides on the playground at school.
One of the electricians mates when I worked at the gas house did a days work and then went singling beet for hours on his way home to Nocton on the Fen.
Strange guy, ex army, with a tash, used go up a gasholder to the first landing, standing behind the rail and pretend he was Hitler ranting at Nuremberg. It wasnt German but it sounded like it.
D.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.3 today

volunteering day today so we're not long home :) It was quite cool when we went out but it's not cool now although we're lucky to have a sea breeze which helps, plus our main walls are very thick.

@gennepher - It's good that you managed to get some more fans and I hope your day has gone well for both yourself and Popeye, he was sensible to keep his outdoor adventure short I think ;)

@alf_Josiah - I was lucky enough to meet 'Mr Preview' a couple of times in my youth after LSO rehearsals when he was their conductor, he was very pleasant and had quite a sense of humour :joyful: much like yourself :D

arty bit - an abstract landscape inspired by an American artist called Robert Roth who usually paints in acrylic, I like the way he reduces his landscapes to a very spare but strong image and the way he handles light in his skies :)
View attachment 50558
Thanks @geefull
He wants his outdoors adventures to start again...

It is very clean and powerful strokes in your painting today. I rather like this treatment...

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
I had to try more places because there was no ice nor fans for love or money.
So, think outside the box I said to myself...
So, I tried along shot.
There was a freezer full of ice there, and two whole shelves of fans. I bought 6 bags of ice, and their freezer was still full, and 4 fans, and even that barely made a dint on their shelves.
Got home. It was 24C when I left at 7.30, and is 29C at this minute, 12:30pm.

Then Amazon delivered a humidifier fan, but it was something I had ordered days ago. I fell asleep the moment I got back home from the successful expedition, and I awoke to my phone vibrating on my chest to say that my fan had been left with a receptionist. RECEPTIONIST!?!?
So I went to usual hiding place for Amazon.
No humidifier fan.
I was getting worried because it had been a bit expensive. Went to outside front door.
No humidifier fan.
All I wanted to do was sleep.
So, it was hunt my overgrown front garden for this box.
In the meantime I noticed I was the only resident on my side of the road in 20 odd houses who was at home, the others never came back even last night. And on the other side of the road where the residents were sitting on their shady doorsteps, because the backs of their houses were full sun, there was now only one resident sat on the doorstep because all the other residents had vanished from 20 odd houses on the other side of the road. I bet they don't come back tonight either.

All these bungalows are very badly built to cause overheating problems of this magnitude.

I finally found my humidifier fan box in my cherry tree ?????!!!!!

I am going to sleep now, I don't want to wake up until this heat is over.

I wonder where I will find my delivery of fans that is due to come later today...

EDIT: when I went shopping on Monday, nearly all the chiller cabinets were out of action with puddles of water all over the floors of the shops. This morning, I found a cheese chiller cabinet that seemed okay, so I reached for some hard cheddar cheese, only the cheese was softer than putty. It went out of shape immediately just by holding it, and so I am pressing and moulding it through the clear plastic covering. I put it back on the pile of cheese, only it had arms, legs, a body and a head now...

I wasn't being mischievous, I was absolutely fascinated that a cheddar cheese was mouldable like this. None of it was fit to eat, the temperature was not cold enough...I was just warning people...
Ah! Tony Hart at the cheese counter morphing the cheese. Pleased that you have solved the cooling problem. Tie everything down if you put all the fans on at once in case you take off. I see another sign needed to instruct delivery folk as to where your receptionist station is situated.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Best wishes with the liver clinic this morning @alf_Josiah

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your kind words @gennepher I have spent the morning travelling back in time - visiting all the ways it could have been different...while cutting off and bagging the leaves for compost. MrSlim wanted to know if I was going to compost the nuts as well. Perhaps I should. Have filled the small trailer with twigs and small branches, major addition to the burning pile.
MrSlim has been otherwise engaged in a far more skilful task, plastering the last wall in the kitchen.
Hope you are managing to keep cool.
It’s all done now, take down a tree - plant two or three more in a more choice location. All the best to MrSlim with the plastering.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Popeye just asked to go outside. I tried explain it was cooler indoors that outside, but he wouldn't have it.

Merryweather was outside the glass door. I was using my old iPhone to take pictures, but it went into total overheat mode in the garden. I thought it was going to burn my hand, so shut it down. It is now sitting on a 'bed' for an old laptop I had, which has several fans spinning away to cool it down.

Popeye lasted two minutes on the bare earth, then he got up and came back inside and is hugging a fan...

Merryweather scarpered. Then we were joined by a bee who couldn't fly but tried to keep up with us...

And I need some more power banks. Two have just packed in. I have had them the last 6 years, so I need to get some more...

View attachment 50557
Keep those paws off that nasty scorched earth Popeye.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.3 today

View attachment 50558
Thank you for your kind comments @geefull. I like this rendition a la Robert Roth. As @gennepher says, very clean with big bold strokes.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
It’s all done now, take down a tree - plant two or three more in a more choice location. All the best to MrSlim with the plastering.
@dunelm Plastering finished and looking good. Painting it will be my job. In a few days when it has dried.
7.20am FBG 6.2
Weight 50.6kg am not happy with my shape however so am trying to restart my exercise programme, abandoned while we were in the motorhome.
Meanwhile I am trying to use as much of the tree as possible, so collecting the nuts in a separate bin. Have a suspicion they will take even longer to break down than the leaves do.
When does a twig become a branch?
Then when does a branch become a log?
Using as much of it as we can, but having already applied the same to a number of other trees we are over supplied with small wood already.
I am enjoying the subtle fragrance of the sap. Must beware of the sun today.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from an already quite muggy start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of another salad, layered with some cold meats came in at 5.8 this am

We returned home yesterday and decided to keep under the trees as much as possible. So, a few hours walking round Dalby Forest and then off to Falling Foss Tea Gardens for lunch - way off the beaten track (B road, to C road, to almost a bridle way and then some dirt, down in the woods where the cars can’t go. Probably a mill back in the day. Couple of images to keep you cool. Those greedy birds have almost cleaned out the feeders, 7 of them arguing about it as I type and a couple of gold finches in for a very quick visit yesterday afternoon.

Art bit today - another ink sketch on a Rizla+ paper. Have a wonderful Friday if you can. Time for some koffy.
upload_2021-7-23_6-53-47.jpeg

upload_2021-7-23_6-53-29.jpeg

upload_2021-7-23_6-53-8.jpeg

Last edited: