What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 for me. Finally found a couple of minutes to post. Knock at the door around 8am - it was SIL looking dishevelled. He and daughter drove up from Cornwall yesterday for a wedding today. He went out to play snooker after dinner and took a key in case we’d gone to bed. Unfortunately when I locked up I left the key in the lock ( I always do, so we can get out in case of fire) which means he couldn’t unlock it from the outside. He spent the night in his van!!! I felt awful but daughter laughed and said not to worry, he likes sleeping in the van, thinks he’s a surfer dude!
Everyone has gone now so settling g down in a cool room with young Den and a mature old lady Jack Russel cross we are babysitting for the weekend.
@Goacher55 hugs for the retinopathy test on such a sunny day,
Shouldn't laugh. But I did!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately in Cyprus we have a law that all beaches are public property and the public is entitled to full access to them. Any private property (such as hotel grounds) can only start after a minimum distance from the sea.

A lot of the organised beaches are actually administered by the municipal authorities that rent out umbrellas and sunbeds for the day.

Although I leave in Nicosia, the capital situated in the centre of the island a drive to the sea is only about an hour away. Day trips are definitely doable.

And that is what we plan to do today.

I still much prefer to go away for the whole weekend if I can and fortunately owning a small house in the seaside resort of Protaras makes this possible. I love to wake up and go for a swim very early in the morning just as the rising sun sets the sea ablaze. There are usually very few people around at that time, mainly fishermen, and the tranquility and stillness is bewitching.

Be the time the sun worshippers start arriving I am usually back in my house to catch up on some sleep. I usually dont return to the sea until late in the afternoon when the crouds have dispersed .

It's not so much the sea, though I do enjoy it but the exercise of going away from it all that I find very relaxing

Anyway, with all that I woke up to a 6,4 this morning breaking up the sequence of 5s I have been getting this week.

Have a great relaxing Sunday everyone.

View attachment 33999View attachment 34000View attachment 34001
Heaven on earth

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Happy Birthday @gennepher hope the art class enjoy the strawberries and cream. Well it seems that I have to adjust all my rates on my pump as the meter of doom is still playing dirty tactics with a 14.2 this morning, now this is after a heavy training session last night which should have resulted in a hypo during the night. But not last night so it must mean my readings are a bit awry at the moment and chase the rainbow I go! where it stops no one will know! Don't you just love diabetes, it's got to be the single most frustrating condition going no two days are the same (sorry about the rant) Right everyone have a marvellous Thursday and above all enjoy it.

Take care everyone.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to my great uncle's memorial service yesterday afternoon.

The service was in our ancestral village of Kormakitis in the north west tip of our island. As new St George, the main church of the village is currently undergoing restoration, the service was held at old St George, a beautiful medieval chapel on the grounds of a small nunnery.

Unfortunately, there is no air conditioning in the chapel and even at 5pm the fans were not really up to the task of fighting the summer heat . The village is by the coast so it can be quite humid.

I was trying to tactfully wipe away the sweat from my brow with a small handkerchief, when I heard the priest include the following line in his sermon about St Peter and St Paul " now we suffer because of a little heat and complain about a little sweat but they knew that for their faith they had to pay in blood not just sweat".

I had not complained in the least, well not out loud, but still felt guilty and personally reprimanded

Yesterday was the feast of St Peter and St Paul by the way, my name day as Pavlos is the greek version of the name Paul. In Cyprus we celebrate namedays almost like birthdays.

After the service there was a small gathering of the congregation in the main village coffee shop. Supposedly this is to remember the deceased but in reality an opportunity to catch up with each other.

This was not the part I was looking forward to the most to be honest.

People in the village are shall we say not shy of asking about your business and my recent and obvious loss of weight was bound to draw attention.

There was a spread of food to go with the usual coffee but as it was all carbs on a plate, cakes and such I decided to go without.

Not a wise move.

"Why don't you have some food?"
"You should eat more, put some meat on your bones"

The worse came when this cousin, who i dont really get on with and who I suspect knew I had issues with my health anyway, came out with:

"You really must tell us the secret, how do you go about losing weight. Although if you dont mind me saying, you looked a bit better with a little more weight on you"

All this while he and his overweight wife were going through the mountains of food piled high on the plates in front of them.

Well I did mind him saying actually. I minded a lot.

I gave him my best smile and replied:

"No secret really, everyone knows how to lose weight, you just eat less"

I have been overweight myself most of my life and as you know my recent loss of weight has been a source of worry. So my reaction had nothing to do with him being overweight and everything to do with him putting me in a spot that I am convinced he knew would make me uncomfortable.

I leave you with some photos of the chapel. Some buildings are so much nicer than some people.View attachment 34002View attachment 34003View attachment 34004]View attachment 34006View attachment 34007

What a horrible remark. There's always one relative we all try to avoid because they are a negative influence. Every family has one. They should be banned from all family functions! I loved your response!

Reactions: pavlosn

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy birthday gennepher have a lovely day

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1546206774196.jpg
    FB_IMG_1546206774196.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 235

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Warning: this posting contains words of a violent nature, those of a squeamish and pacifistic nature read no further.

Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and the ruffty tuffties.

An aggressive 7.1 climbed out of the meter this morning looking for a fight. It leapt up hit me on the nose then tried kicking me in the teeth, so I gave it a good smack with one of Mrs J's saucepans......bad move on my part. Mrs J took exception to me using her saucepan and then belted me on the nose.

When I return from A&E if needed I will be sulking in my shed.
I would like to say have a good day but...

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...shattered today despite having no plans to work or drive yesterday I had to dash off to Birmingham...set off at 10am got home at 11:30pm exhausted...ate so badly in Birmingham surprised & somewhat relieved to score 6.9 on waking.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 so am not sure the chocolate olive oil cakeyesterday was a good idea. Maybe two pieces was OTT. Tbh I just find treats like that are best avoided.
Most importantly @gennepher happy special birthday, enjoy your day.
@HarrisonK I know what you mean, its questionnaires that do it to me. I cant bear it and some companies wont take no for an answer and keep sending them.@pavlosn I am thinking you must have an irrigation system in your garden. I am struggling.
@johnpol and @karen8967 hugs for the high and the low.
@MisplacedIdentity happy holidays you will be just fine.
@SaskiaKC and all our friends across the pond Happy Independence Day.
Have a good day everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning, still a 5 so ok by me.
@gennepher Happy Birthday hope you have a great day, enjoy those strawberries and cream.
I’m off to Lanhydrock today, a lovely National Trust place nearby. Meeting an old friend and her pooch for coffee. We first met at our Saturday job in West London around 45 years ago but she moved a little further out in later years and we lost contact apart from Christmas cards. We found out through Facebook that she too has moved down to Cornwall and lives only 30 mins away so I’m really happy to get back together again.
Have a lovely day everyone.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
9.9 today
At least it is still in single figures

The sky is blue and the sun is shining.

I am now officially 70 years old today!

It’s only 6:30 am but I still need to figure out how to do a feather string painting for my art group this afternoon...so off into the garage now to paint...take my cwc.

Am taking strawberries and cream to art as a birthday cake (!) so I can share with everyone.

Have a good day
>^..^<
Happy Birthday, have a great day and all the best with the feather string painting.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Summer seems set to extend to 4 days here so soupy fish. Happy 70th @gennepher and the art class with strawberries and cream seems from your posts to be ideal for you. Potting shed to follow? @pavlosn fabulous garden and enjoy London. @johnpol hugs for the unexpected high and @karen8967 hug for the holiday hypo. My fbg was 5.9 which is pants in and of itself but a second order issue today. Right knee almost the size of my quad and foot red and angry. My own fault for eating turkey and steak this week ( normally both ok but disastrous with virus/hay fever) 4 codeine and 3 naproxen at zero dark 40 ( I know it should be 30) does not lead to a good fbg. A day on the recliner with lots of tea and tablets for me, turkey for the dog and red meat back on the banned list. Enjoy your day folks. @Cumberland see above for how are you keeping.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Another false start again today when I thought that 0500 resembled 0700 for a while. Luckily I spotted the colour difference and went back to bed.

I changed the wonder wheel a couple of days ago and I think that this one doesn’t like me. It must be pondering upon it’s very short life. If they were recyclable then they could come back as something else. Oh!, and no Elysium either - mind you they are neither heroic nor pure and perhaps without souls.

Still, the jesting jasper called 0500 produced a 4.9 whereas the more reasonable 0730 waking time resulted in a fine and sturdy 5.5. As I write, I am being punished with a 7.9 floating off into the troposhere.

You will be pleased to note that I am very close to opening my accounts. I have closed the gap by sharpening a pencil and organising scrap paper for “working out” - I was always told at school to show your working out, a mantra I regurgitated when, for a short period in my life, I was in the unfortunate position of having to teach stuff I new little about to a bunch of bewildered A level miscreants and mystified grown ups on teacher training courses.

Anyhow, have a great day if you can, strawberries and cream shares are soaring as @gennepher corners the market for her art class - poor Wimbledon will have to make do with strawberry jelly and condensed milk.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Birthday @gennepher hope the art class enjoy the strawberries and cream. Well it seems that I have to adjust all my rates on my pump as the meter of doom is still playing dirty tactics with a 14.2 this morning, now this is after a heavy training session last night which should have resulted in a hypo during the night. But not last night so it must mean my readings are a bit awry at the moment and chase the rainbow I go! where it stops no one will know! Don't you just love diabetes, it's got to be the single most frustrating condition going no two days are the same (sorry about the rant) Right everyone have a marvellous Thursday and above all enjoy it.

Take care everyone.

Rant away young sir, it’s full on chat and it blows away the cobwebs of doom and gloom.