What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from another hint of a fine day here in the dark and dangerous north - what have we done to deserve all this late hint of summer.
The wonder wheel of chicken salad came in at 4.6 this am

Little Miss Pamplemouse hit the ripe old age of 7 yesterday and as she has recently mastered the art of riding without the aid of stabilisers, her mum an dad furnished her with a shiny new “grown up” bike, complete with a handy throttle twist gear changer. She will be here this evening for the weekend with the ninky nonks. I asked her on a zoom call last night if she had had a good day. She replied, “yes, because I like school.” No back pain this morning - well, a twinge, but it was like that yesterday and by about 10 I had taken to the drug cabinet. Fingers crossed and all that as we are out to lunch today, catching up with a couple of friends that we have not seen for over 18 months.

Art bit. Experimenting with ink painting where standard brush strokes are not used very much. Trick is to paint the paper with water with a bit of detergent in it, let completely dry and then loosely add inks and translucent Chinese paints that are watered down and more detergent added (just a bit). Anyhow, here is my first go. Have a fabulous Friday, koffy is in the pot.

View attachment 51197

Absolutely brilliant. @dunelm
I love this painting technique.
I am taking notes...
Going to try this...when the days are short and cold and I am huddled by a radiator...

Looks like a good day is in store for you today.
And may you remain pain free as possible...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.3

Yesterday I took down all the bird suet feeders to give then a good deep clean after all the heavy rains. Sparrows and bluetits had something to say about it. I didn't have the energy to finish it all yesterday, because I was relocating some bird feeders so I could get a better view from my bedroom. And for that I needed to cut some willow.

I always leave some willow branches growing thicker and thicker and longer each year for any odd jobs I need them for. I needed them yesterday.

But...

When I went to cut them, there were hundreds or thousands of wasps all around the willow trees. I have this every year about this time of year. The aphids cover pretty much the whole willow tree. The ants milk them for their golden nectar, the honeydew. And the wasps get drunk on the golden nectar. This is the most wasps I have ever seen at one time. I don't mind a few hundred wasps and I photograph them each year because they are intriguing to watch, but this was a lot more than that. So, cutting the willow branches was abandoned for the moment. I didn't want to upset/anger the wasps. But they are that interested in the honeydew they are not interested in me.

So, I got my phone camera and waded in to take photographs. I can get very close up, a few inches from the wasps. They are flying all around me. But the honeydew is dropping on me and on my phone from above. And the time to retreat is when I have wasps drinking the honeydew from my phone and hands...

I got a few photos, but the light was a bit too golden to get good detailed pics of the wasps, it was very late afternoon. I will try again today. And I will be out there in a minute to see if I can cut my willow branches so I can make better suet ball locations. I did put some fat balls in a tree for the wee birds, but they want their feeders back....I am hoping it is not like Wetherspoons where old men (wasps) are not drinking their long slow pints at 8am in the morning, or maybe the wasps are legless this time of day...

So my creative photographic work for today is my poor sad sunflower that I posted a week ago, that got battered in the rains, but it still stands proud!

IMG_17092021_074015_(1875_x_2500_pixel).jpg

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I am so glad you managed to sort them out @SlimLizzy
Great photos of them.
Not exactly a picturesque location. Back of the house concrete slab ( will be a terrace one day) currently housing the stone and
rubble piles.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all from a clinging on to summer Forest Heath. MIL/Nanny London sent here from hospital with no food or drink despite being woken at 6.00 am and arriving here at 11.00 am. Carer arrived before ambulance so wasted her time, came back and said, I'll asses her when she is home. (Joined up service my ****). Last food and drink probably 5.00 pm Weds:bigtears::bigtears:. Understandably frail but thanks be to God she is here and we can go from there. To business. Let's say I was 5.5 as per 2015 or 5.4 as in 2016 or 4.7 in 2018. Would I eat or exercise any differently? Nope. So fbg probably in the same range. Like many here I am boxed in by what I will force myself to eat and the state of my aged body. IF from 6 pm to 11 am, salmon salad on Friday (mackerel 5 days, ersatz Sunday roast) aim for 1k steps an hr for 12-14 hrs and any resistance ex, HITT I can manage. Drink mucho Assam. Rinse and repeat. I'll fit a new Swipey Monday but routine unlikely to change. Happy (belated) birthday Ms Pamplemouse (I loved that juice), hug for the back pain but enjoy the meal and NNs @dunelm. Admirable work saving the HHs @SlimLizzy. Great meme @karen8967.

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely brilliant. @dunelm
I love this painting technique.
I am taking notes...
Going to try this...when the days are short and cold and I am huddled by a radiator...

Looks like a good day is in store for you today.
And may you remain pain free as possible...
Thank you @gennepher. You will need an iron or hairdryer and some sort of blotting paper (tissues). Add inks/colours in layers. You can add water above, below or inside to control spread. When it has spread enough for you or if you spot something you find pleasing - then stop it - I use a sheet of old rice paper and iron. You can also use two sheets together - add ink to top sheet and wait for it to penetrate down into the bottom sheet. Have fun.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all from a clinging on to summer Forest Heath. MIL/Nanny London sent here from hospital with no food or drink despite being woken at 6.00 am and arriving here at 11.00 am. Carer arrived before ambulance so wasted her time, came back and said, I'll asses her when she is home. (Joined up service my ****). Last food and drink probably 5.00 pm Weds:bigtears::bigtears:. Understandably frail but thanks be to God she is here and we can go from there. To business. Let's say I was 5.5 as per 2015 or 5.4 as in 2016 or 4.7 in 2018. Would I eat or exercise any differently? Nope. So fbg probably in the same range. Like many here I am boxed in by what I will force myself to eat and the state of my aged body. IF from 6 pm to 11 am, salmon salad on Friday (mackerel 5 days, ersatz Sunday roast) aim for 1k steps an hr for 12-14 hrs and any resistance ex, HITT I can manage. Drink mucho Assam. Rinse and repeat. I'll fit a new Swipey Monday but routine unlikely to change. Happy (belated) birthday Ms Pamplemouse (I loved that juice), hug for the back pain but enjoy the meal and NNs @dunelm. Admirable work saving the HHs @SlimLizzy. Great meme @karen8967.
Hugs for the messed up timings by NHS and care services @ianpspurs
I hope everything is onwards and upwards now.
Fingers crossed...

Reactions: dunelm

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @gennepher. You will need an iron or hairdryer and some sort of blotting paper (tissues). Add inks/colours in layers. You can add water above, below or inside to control spread. When it has spread enough for you or if you spot something you find pleasing - then stop it - I use a sheet of old rice paper and iron. You can also use two sheets together - add ink to top sheet and wait for it to penetrate down into the bottom sheet. Have fun.
Thanks for all this info @dunelm
It is greatly appreciated
:)

Reactions: dunelm

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
7.30am FBG err 4, err 2, 1.9 WHAT? 4 9 ok.

Weight 48.5kg, 7 stone 9 lb
Am not sure if this loss is from illness or dietary changes.
Errant stayed out all night so no weight for him either.
Sunny today so will be on high alert for hoglets this afternoon.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.

A calculation causing 4.8 this bright and sunny September morning.

Well fellow posters , painters and gamers very shortly me and me's have a hospital diabetic consultant telephonic consultation. As it's telephonic I shall wear my cleanest white socks, boxer shorts, shirt, rude tie and Terry Pratchett hat.
I must depart now make proper koffy.

Have a great day all and importantly remember to stay safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs for the messed up timings by NHS and care services @ianpspurs
I hope everything is onwards and upwards now.
Fingers crossed...
Thank you on behalf of MIL and Julie. I think your battered but defiant sunflower sums up Nanny London. One wonders how much fight will still be left if/after her Wales trip. Amazing care for wildlife you and @SlimLizzy show. Take the very best care of yourselves. @alf_Josiah I hope the telephone consultation goes well - #prayfortheconsultant is trending on twitter:angelic:

Reactions: mojo37

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"Rescued" is perhaps not the right word - since it was MrSlim who partly blocked up their access hole. We think it was three days with only the hoglets able to get out,
but Mum was too large and required a hammer and chisel to break her free. Gave her some water, she drank for about 10 mins, with one rambustuous youngster nudging her for milk all the time until she got pushed into the water. Later she had some cat biscuits, she must have been desperate as she was more interested in water and food than fearful of us.
Have been keeping an eye out for them. Wafting off flies and offering crushed cat biscuits to the hoglets. However they don't seem to be able to manage even this.
There appear to be four hoglets , although only seen them all together on Monday.
Tuesday there were two very sad looking ones out in the afternoon. Neither could manage even crushed cat biscuits, but they eventually snuggled up together in a pile of hay.
Didn't see any hoglets Wednesday, it was cool.and rainy, better hunting weather for hedgehogs but saw mum? about midnight, looking sprightly and moving fast to avoid being caught in the torch beam.
Today one hoglet appeared in the late afternoon. He got a bonus as i had unearthed a sample pack of wet cat food. He loved it. Had a sleep under the hay after and was then assisted back into the nest.
MrSlim is expected to build them a house, we are hoping that offering alternative accommodation will persuade them to relocate.View attachment 51192View attachment 51193View attachment 51194
Lovely photo.of the hoglets. Good that you got mum out and are looking after them so well.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really good that MIL is home. She must be so happy to be out of hospital and back near her family. She may be frail but is doing so well.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a palaver - NHS levelling out to a limbo bar. Hope that MIL/Nanny London is now in safe hands

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.3

Yesterday I took down all the bird suet feeders to give then a good deep clean after all the heavy rains. Sparrows and bluetits had something to say about it. I didn't have the energy to finish it all yesterday, because I was relocating some bird feeders so I could get a better view from my bedroom. And for that I needed to cut some willow.

I always leave some willow branches growing thicker and thicker and longer each year for any odd jobs I need them for. I needed them yesterday.

But...

When I went to cut them, there were hundreds or thousands of wasps all around the willow trees. I have this every year about this time of year. The aphids cover pretty much the whole willow tree. The ants milk them for their golden nectar, the honeydew. And the wasps get drunk on the golden nectar. This is the most wasps I have ever seen at one time. I don't mind a few hundred wasps and I photograph them each year because they are intriguing to watch, but this was a lot more than that. So, cutting the willow branches was abandoned for the moment. I didn't want to upset/anger the wasps. But they are that interested in the honeydew they are not interested in me.

So, I got my phone camera and waded in to take photographs. I can get very close up, a few inches from the wasps. They are flying all around me. But the honeydew is dropping on me and on my phone from above. And the time to retreat is when I have wasps drinking the honeydew from my phone and hands...

I got a few photos, but the light was a bit too golden to get good detailed pics of the wasps, it was very late afternoon. I will try again today. And I will be out there in a minute to see if I can cut my willow branches so I can make better suet ball locations. I did put some fat balls in a tree for the wee birds, but they want their feeders back....I am hoping it is not like Wetherspoons where old men (wasps) are not drinking their long slow pints at 8am in the morning, or maybe the wasps are legless this time of day...

So my creative photographic work for today is my poor sad sunflower that I posted a week ago, that got battered in the rains, but it still stands proud!

View attachment 51198
Smashing - I wonder if you can photograph it each day and make a photo flick book thing of it’s demise.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning. Yesterday went really well. Did loads of admin, then 5 hours non-stop teaching in Norwich. Am really feeling the benefit of prioritising protein and now bringing salt back into my diet seems to have accelerated the benefits. Had loads of energy and muscles really feeling so much stronger.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a palaver - NHS levelling out to a limbo bar. Hope that MIL/Nanny London is now in safe hands
Frying pan into fire since I'm involved but she seems unfazed. Probably just reasons Julie's in charge so she's mainly ok. @Krystyna23040 thanks and good to hear you are becoming hench in a very feminine way:angelic: MIL enjoyed being with 2 great granddaughters (no idea if anyone understood a thing the other said/babbled but all still alive) and a great grandson yesterday. She also saw 2 grandsons who rescued the babes from we two incompetents. Doors and windows open and as many rooms in use as possible. All tests negative - rapid turn around for the Zoe ones. So on we go.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you on behalf of MIL and Julie. I think your battered but defiant sunflower sums up Nanny London. One wonders how much fight will still be left if/after her Wales trip. Amazing care for wildlife you and @SlimLizzy show. Take the very best care of yourselves. @alf_Josiah I hope the telephone consultation goes well - #prayfortheconsultant is trending on twitter:angelic:
Thanks @ianpspurs

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Woke at 4am tested at 5am which gave me a nasty but unsurprising 7.7 ( mainly due to jelly babies whole packet ) .Tested again at a more reasonable time of 8 am and that came in at 6.5 so that the one I'm taking ;). Got a few days off work and should be catching up with stuff around the house and the jungle which is my garden , but instead I've been back reading on this thread from the start ! It is interesting to see who is still here and who appear to have left the forum altogether . Think I will have to ration myself to 30 to 50 post a day ...might get through them all by Christmas :).