What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 normal gravy seems the only way for me to go mitigated by wine and exercise if possible. My other major sorrow with Elsie is the loss of tomato, onion and garlic based sauces and casseroles. I actually ate (and enjoyed) aubergines in Pafos - can't stand them in UK. @SlimLizzy so kind of you to pass on Mr Slim's recipe but butter and or cream used that way are the reddest of red lines for me. Any foodies know if crème fraîche would would work instead but this is all a faff for one. Pure Elsie is hell on earth/unendurable for me. Hug - @Krystyna23040 - for the roadworks and need for Mr K - what an absolute legend he is.
@ianpspurs Your post about onions got me thinking more deeply about onions. I have also binned (banned) the onions because they are below ground vegetables just like potatoes. So was really shocked to read the following -
'Onions are absolutely a 100% keto-friendly food.
the net carb count of an onion is low enough that it’s easy to work with, even if you’re someone who has to be rather strict with your carb intake. On top of that, the various other health benefits that are proven to be associated with onion consumption more than makes up for their lack of protein or fat.`

You can guess what is back on the menu. Now all I have to do is to tell Mr K we have needlessly been avoiding onions.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs Your post about onions got me thinking more deeply about onions. I have also binned (banned) the onions because they are below ground vegetables just like potatoes. So was really shocked to read the following -
'Onions are absolutely a 100% keto-friendly food.
the net carb count of an onion is low enough that it’s easy to work with, even if you’re someone who has to be rather strict with your carb intake. On top of that, the various other health benefits that are proven to be associated with onion consumption more than makes up for their lack of protein or fat.`

You can guess what is back on the menu. Now all I have to do is to tell Mr K we have needlessly been avoiding onions.
Oh, be still my beating heart. I must confess that I have been eating the odd (pair of) pickled onions. Cronometer doesn't see onions as very Elsie friendly - that is only 100 gms. Where is your information from? Tell Mr K new research has come to light . Onions are now OK since Brexit - another Brexit bonus:angelic:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-24 15.28.05.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-24 15.28.05.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, be still my beating heart. I must confess that I have been eating the odd (pair of) pickled onions. Cronometer doesn't see onions as very Elsie friendly - that is only 100 gms. Where is your information from? Tell Mr K new research has come to light . Onions are now OK since Brexit - another Brexit bonus:angelic:
If you limited your onions to 100G for a meal - would that be OK? 8.6 net carbs should be OK for Elsie.
Edited to correct changes made by predictive text

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you limited your onions to 100G for a meal - would that be OK? 8.6 net carbs should be OK for Elsie.
Edited to correct changes made by predictive text
I think the net carbs would be fine but I've no idea what 100 gms onions looks like. Well worth a try as the upside could be huge. This looks promising if the analysis is even fairly accurate but olive oil please. I'll talk to the Food Fairy to see if she'll give it a go. Thanks for the nudge to look. As always, it is the hope that kills.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
8.30am FBG 6.4

Yes, @dunelm, three phase electricity, now we are able to access two phases. We shall no more place a tea towel over the kettle whenever the dishwasher is on. Those two items being previously incompatible and tripping out the power every time. Electrician will be back sometime early next year to replace consumer unit and presumably enable all three phases.
Heat upstairs, once I can work out how to set the radiators controls, and lights in the salon. Have also found the instructions for the oven when wading through the mass of booklets. The controls for both ovens are exactly the same and booklet refers to "the ovens" so suposedly no difference between them. I shall be taking the recommended action and poking the second oven jets with a piece of wire...
Boxes. Labelled, plus a few unlabelled, are now all in the loft, original storage in the barn until MrSlim had built a loft to put them in. Now with roofers expected the "few" that are left and all the assorted unboxed items need alternative storage again. Good thing we are not expecting guests, the unused bedrooms are about to get filled up. It's a time for another good sort out.
First sharp frost this morning. Still that's way better than rain.

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doubt whether I could lay my hands on much more than 4000 acres of the stuff just now.:angelic: Fortnum and Mason opprobrium? Because Betty's of Harrogate is so unpretentious and such good value - I must have been dreaming. Every region seems to have a wannabee - (near the fragrant Mary A.) @Krystyna23040 what is the Norwich/N Norfolk entry?
The Orchard Tea rooms look lovely. Unfortunately there is nothing comparable in Norwich and maybe not in N Norfolk either.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the net carbs would be fine but I've no idea what 100 gms onions looks like. Well worth a try as the upside could be huge. This looks promising if the analysis is even fairly accurate but olive oil please. I'll talk to the Food Fairy to see if she'll give it a go. Thanks for the nudge to look. As always, it is the hope that kills.
That looks delicious (with olive oil of course). Please do let us know if it is as delicious as it looks.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doubt whether I could lay my hands on much more than 4000 acres of the stuff just now.:angelic: Fortnum and Mason opprobrium? Because Betty's of Harrogate is so unpretentious and such good value - I must have been dreaming. Every region seems to have a wannabee - (near the fragrant Mary A.) @Krystyna23040 what is the Norwich/N Norfolk entry?
Ah! That’s how to do it. Loosely associate yourself as an afternoon tea pal of Bertrand Russel or some other fancy pants and there is an instant cost/value balancing out.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8.30am FBG 6.4

Yes, @dunelm, three phase electricity, now we are able to access two phases. We shall no more place a tea towel over the kettle whenever the dishwasher is on. Those two items being previously incompatible and tripping out the power every time. Electrician will be back sometime early next year to replace consumer unit and presumably enable all three phases.
Heat upstairs, once I can work out how to set the radiators controls, and lights in the salon. Have also found the instructions for the oven when wading through the mass of booklets. The controls for both ovens are exactly the same and booklet refers to "the ovens" so suposedly no difference between them. I shall be taking the recommended action and poking the second oven jets with a piece of wire...
Boxes. Labelled, plus a few unlabelled, are now all in the loft, original storage in the barn until MrSlim had built a loft to put them in. Now with roofers expected the "few" that are left and all the assorted unboxed items need alternative storage again. Good thing we are not expecting guests, the unused bedrooms are about to get filled up. It's a time for another good sort out.
First sharp frost this morning. Still that's way better than rain.
What? Not tea when the dish washer is on - chuck the dish washer out :angelic:
It’s all moving along in a covid sort of way. We are now finding trades and materials difficult to source - and prices keep jumping .

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a quiet and quite chilly start to the day here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of “that will need removing before your scan” is a complete mystery

Scan yesterday. The Libre monitor had to be removed so fbg this morning is Schrödinger's guess - he kept his research to himself for years before someone let the cat out of the bag :woot:. Afterwards we went to a local Indian eatery - only one course and cauliflower instead of rice - I shall claim 4.4 and laugh in the face of incredulity. My pal of over 50 years departed this morning - Manchester to Frankfurt and then tomorrow, Frankfurt to LA. It has been good to catch up but his family want him back although he will miss Thanksgiving where the turkey is surrounded by family - just not the turkey’s. Carpet bloke coming round early evening and I need to get someone out about window blinds - can I take all this excitement?

Art bit - tree parts - International Bin day seems to be aligning with a Thursday now - all part of levelling up. Best get mine onto the road and then make some koffy. Hope your day is a good one.

Attachments

• upload_2021-11-25_7-3-10.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-25_7-3-10.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 7.6
Why?
Normally I eat in a 4 to 6 hour window. And fast until the next day. But last night I just felt like some Gouda cheese. A matchbox sized piece. Sigh...

Creative today...
6 different pens to try.
Sprayed with water.
4 reacted.
2 didn't
My favourites are the Stylo disposable fountain pen, and the Wilko fineliner.
Both were delicate and very easy to draw with. Once this paper is completely dry I will do a bit of fine drawing over both those trees.

I don't have a hairdryer to dry these paintings, so they are sitting on my electric blanket which I turned on to exclusively dry them. I do have a hot air gun, but since I work mainly in bed, it might not be a good idea to use it in bed, especially as I have no incoming sound, so I wouldn't know if I put it down and accidentally left it on...

59EE6421-6237-452B-A1EE-55F97EF3FCDD.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a quiet and quite chilly start to the day here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of “that will need removing before your scan” is a complete mystery

Scan yesterday. The Libre monitor had to be removed so fbg this morning is Schrödinger's guess - he kept his research to himself for years before someone let the cat out of the bag :woot:. Afterwards we went to a local Indian eatery - only one course and cauliflower instead of rice - I shall claim 4.4 and laugh in the face of incredulity. My pal of over 50 years departed this morning - Manchester to Frankfurt and then tomorrow, Frankfurt to LA. It has been good to catch up but his family want him back although he will miss Thanksgiving where the turkey is surrounded by family - just not the turkey’s. Carpet bloke coming round early evening and I need to get someone out about window blinds - can I take all this excitement?

Art bit - tree parts - International Bin day seems to be aligning with a Thursday now - all part of levelling up. Best get mine onto the road and then make some koffy. Hope your day is a good one.
Snap! International Bin day is Thursday here too! But I have declined to take part today. I am enjoying my warm bed too much to rush out into the cold (I forgot last night...).

Exciting times all these quotes. Put them all in a hat. Shake then round and let the little one pick out a winner...

Like this tree very much @dunelm
It has the delicacy that is winning me over this morning...

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A rather surprising 5.0 this morning as last night Mr K made a delicious snack of some beetroot with goats cheese and walnuts. I couldn't resist it - the beetroot was grown by our neighbour and was lovely. I then threw caution to the wind and had some cashews and then some kefir. I expected a sky high fbs because I ate so late. Very puzzling.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanksgiving and more forumites recruited to International Bin Day both on the same day. My cup runneth over. @dunelm thanks for the heads up about Swipey and MRI. I have now rescheduled changes so as not to "waste" one. Thank you for the art, My, but aren't you quite the busy little project manager - proper Kevin Mccloud:angelic:. @Krystyna23040 great fbg and that late snack sounds hugely agreeable. If I pluck up the courage to experiment with that stew I shall let you know my thoughts - minus the expletives for anything >5 - 5.5 at +2 hrs. @gennepher you are spoiling us with such a cornucopia of treats for the eyes. Such a shame about the impact of the Gouda. I was staggered to find just how high in carbs my favourite was. It really is quite galling how some people find Elsie like being in cruise control on a 12 lane highway whilst many of us find her like a perilous (deadly?) mountain pass which never quite leads anywhere we want anyhow. However, Assam tea and mackerel salad seem fine so I'll make it through Thursday. Go well today people.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What? Not tea when the dish washer is on - chuck the dish washer out :angelic:
It’s all moving along in a covid sort of way. We are now finding trades and materials difficult to source - and prices keep jumping .
Wood prices, for construction have rocketed here, due to a double whammy effect of regulation changes requiring more wood used in commercial buildings and reduction in supply because of covid.
Oh and tea is always possible even with the dishwasher functioning, because we have a gas hob. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo37 and dunelm

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
25.11 OMG Xmas
8.30am FBG 6.3.
Pottered about for a bit, made MrSlim his tea, one for me also, but forgot to drink it. Morning exercises, shower etc. FBG 5.1
Decided to continue fast
10.30am FBG FBG 5.0
Thirsty so warmed my tea and drank it.