What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I started with osteoarthritis early on. Then developed rheumatoid arthritis in the early 1980's. Sjögren's Syndrome is connected with rheumatoid arthritis.
I know the problems you talk about @Granny_grump_

My hands do the same, claw, particularly the left hand. At night I wear arthritis gloves, and inside them, in my palm, I put a soft hand exercise ball, so it stays there all night. This helps stop the clawing. Before I did this, I was prising the fingers of my left hand from being so clawed. It works for me. I also have carpal tunnel syndrome so I wear wrist splints as well. I need my hand to paint and draw and everything else.. I also use Chinese metal exercise balls for my hands, but you can use them underneath your feet as well. I don't know if any of this would help you?

That was a lot to deal with early in your life, the operation, your young son. It is sad the ear operation didn't work, and you have had additional lifelong problems as a result.
Your son has done tremendously in life. All due to you. He is amazingly brilliant.

Third great-grandchild due soon!

Thank you for your compliments. The wild beasties are a great distraction to everyday life.
Hi gennepher I will give the arthritis glove a try but I have to admit I haven’t heard of them, your clawed hands can be operated on if your fingers reach your palms my doctor told me. Mine are only just curling at the finger tips .K

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is fortunate that those who collect the children at the end of the day don't need to wear their pajamas since my pajamas are indistinguishable from my skin. I'm glad the wildlife enjoy caterpillars because I never managed to win the war with them when they destroyed my much loved Brussels Sprouts. The very hungry caterpillar was a favourite of our first grandson. I had to recite the whole of Saturday's menu in one breath after doing it for fun one evening.
I can still remember every page and every illustration of THAT very hungry caterpillar...all my three liked it...
I hate Brussel Sprouts...but I love curly Kale. I had a great crop once, then one morning...hands full of those wriggly things @ianpspurs

But never despair, they grew again, the curly Kale, and I had a winter long crop out of them.

The caterpillars? One sunny day, suddenly clouds and clouds of white butterflies emerged. It was beautiful!

I get the feeling you wouldn't be so delighted...

i33019.png

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can still remember every page and every illustration of THAT very hungry caterpillar...all my three liked it...
I hate Brussel Sprouts...but I love curly Kale. I had a great crop once, then one morning...hands full of those wriggly things @ianpspurs

But never despair, they grew again, the curly Kale, and I had a winter long crop out of them.

The caterpillars? One sunny day, suddenly clouds and clouds of white butterflies emerged. It was beautiful!

I get the feeling you wouldn't be so delighted...

i33019.png
Butterflies are fine but caterpillars eating my Christmas Day home grown sprout stick is beyond the pale. Kale was unmolested and chard seemed indistructible. @Granny_grump_ carpets are also on my why, just why? list along with any internal wall that can safely be knocked down. JKP just tries to put photos on them - mahoosive no no.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi gennepher I will give the arthritis glove a try but I have to admit I haven’t heard of them, your clawed hands can be operated on if your fingers reach your palms my doctor told me. Mine are only just curling at the finger tips .K
Thanks @Granny_grump_

I want to steer clear of operations as far as possible!

The early arthritis gloves were very stiff and clumsy, but these are the type I wear now. I prefer the ones with rubber dot grips in the palm, it makes it easier for me to grip.
Here's a selection from Amazon...just to give you an idea...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=arthri...Arthritis+,aps,150&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_10

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you gennepher I will check it out, sorry for the abrupt exit from chat my sister phoned our local group text about our water supply discolouration yesterday and chemist about my repeat prescription. Too many irons in the fire that’s me. K

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, best wishes and admiration for those who struggle on whatever life throws at them.
A 6.7 this morning and no comment from me and me’s on this reading.
As a special treat I was taken food shopping this morning, part way through the shop I was banished to the shops cafe, my helpful suggestions were not required or welcomed.
If any of our male posters are in need of tips and hints, for a small fee of decent koffy I would be willing to pass on a few secrets.
Must now dash, it’s time for my afternoon nap.
Stay safe all.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I started with osteoarthritis early on. Then developed rheumatoid arthritis in the early 1980's. Sjögren's Syndrome is connected with rheumatoid arthritis.
I know the problems you talk about @Granny_grump_

My hands do the same, claw, particularly the left hand. At night I wear arthritis gloves, and inside them, in my palm, I put a soft hand exercise ball, so it stays there all night. This helps stop the clawing. Before I did this, I was prising the fingers of my left hand from being so clawed. It works for me. I also have carpal tunnel syndrome so I wear wrist splints as well. I need my hand to paint and draw and everything else.. I also use Chinese metal exercise balls for my hands, but you can use them underneath your feet as well. I don't know if any of this would help you?

That was a lot to deal with early in your life, the operation, your young son. It is sad the ear operation didn't work, and you have had additional lifelong problems as a result.
Your son has done tremendously in life. All due to you. He is amazingly brilliant.

Third great-grandchild due soon!

Thank you for your compliments. The wild beasties are a great distraction to everyday life.
@gennepher
I’ve looked up the Sjogrens and I suffer from every symptom I’m being treated for dry eye at the moment most of my problems are related to my dad some from my mother, are you sure my dad hasn’t peddled to your neck of the woods we could be related if only in health.K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@gennepher
I’ve looked up the Sjogrens and I suffer from every symptom I’m being treated for dry eye at the moment most of my problems are related to my dad some from my mother, are you sure my dad hasn’t peddled to your neck of the woods we could be related if only in health.K
I also have Lichen Planus I’ve had biopsies on my gums and tongue due to this complaint it’s a painful mouth condition which can turn cancerous, I’ve had it for nearly 3 years now with dry mouth being one of the problems and painful mouth ulcers. Stress also brings it on and I’ve had more than my fair share in last few years. Hopefully you don’t have this I wouldn’t wish it on my enemies. K

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, best wishes and admiration for those who struggle on whatever life throws at them.
A 6.7 this morning and no comment from me and me’s on this reading.
As a special treat I was taken food shopping this morning, part way through the shop I was banished to the shops cafe, my helpful suggestions were not required or welcomed.
If any of our male posters are in need of tips and hints, for a small fee of decent koffy I would be willing to pass on a few secrets.
Must now dash, it’s time for my afternoon nap.
Stay safe all.
Two pertinent points sprang to mind on reading that. You have perpetrated an egregious terminological inexactitude - decent koffy? Spoiler alert, there is no Loch Ness monster either. More worryingly, what the hell were you doing in a supermarket?. Have you not heard of online shopping or click and collect in extremis, man? You will notice my tips are free and available to those of every possible self definition or none. You're welcome.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also have Lichen Planus I’ve had biopsies on my gums and tongue due to this complaint it’s a painful mouth condition which can turn cancerous, I’ve had it for nearly 3 years now with dry mouth being one of the problems and painful mouth ulcers. Stress also brings it on and I’ve had more than my fair share in last few years. Hopefully you don’t have this I wouldn’t wish it on my enemies. K
Fortunately I don't have that @Granny_grump_
But I am prone to mouth ulcers.
Hugs for that x

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Two pertinent points sprang to mind on reading that. You have perpetrated an egregious terminological inexactitude - decent koffy? Spoiler alert, there is no Loch Ness monster either. More worryingly, what the hell were you doing in a supermarket?. Have you not heard of online shopping or click and collect in extremis, man? You will notice my tips are free and available to those of every possible self definition or none. You're welcome.
Decent koffy is subjective, it’s a case of mind over matter, hehehehe, I don’t mind and you don’t matter hehehehe, now as for the Loch Ness monster it has a high probability of mathematically existing hehehehe.
Now what was me and me’s and myself doing in a supermarket, simple causing chaos and more than a little mayhem, as taught to me by my old mates Chaos and Mayhem, just for information they are up for parole shortly I believe. One of my little foibles is every time Mrs J started talking to someone Mrs J knows I would add random items into that persons shopping trolley. Another is to walk off with Mrs J’s trolley adding items I like, but Mrs J doesn’t,
Now online shopping and click and collect, we did them both up until a few months ago, but Mrs J etc etc etc. Those little tips are free, but the best come at a price having taken years to perfect.
No need to thank me.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fortunately I don't have that @Granny_grump_
But I am prone to mouth ulcers.
Hugs for that x
My dentist found it and referred me to the Maxillofacial unit at our local hospital, it’s not contagious which has been difficult to convince some family members it resembles a lacy raised pattern on your cheeks gums that constantly sheds in your mouth. I constantly wake up coughing due to shedding during sleep. It’s settled more since going decaffeinate with my coffee and teabags and fortunately they sell both my coffee and teabags in decaffeinate at local Tesco. Stress and anxiety make it worse then the awfully painful mouth ulcers that sometimes become infected can flare up, but I’ve been given Difflam mouth rinse to help with this. Just thankful that at this time I haven’t got any has it’s these that can become cancerous, it was quite frightening at the beginning but I seem to be managing it better, I’m supposed to be monitored regularly by my dentist but it’s been emergency dental work appointments only over the 2 years of Covid not able to book an appointment for my usual check ups. K

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dentist found it and referred me to the Maxillofacial unit at our local hospital, it’s not contagious which has been difficult to convince some family members it resembles a lacy raised pattern on your cheeks gums that constantly sheds in your mouth. I constantly wake up coughing due to shedding during sleep. It’s settled more since going decaffeinate with my coffee and teabags and fortunately they sell both my coffee and teabags in decaffeinate at local Tesco. Stress and anxiety make it worse then the awfully painful mouth ulcers that sometimes become infected can flare up, but I’ve been given Difflam mouth rinse to help with this. Just thankful that at this time I haven’t got any has it’s these that can become cancerous, it was quite frightening at the beginning but I seem to be managing it better, I’m supposed to be monitored regularly by my dentist but it’s been emergency dental work appointments only over the 2 years of Covid not able to book an appointment for my usual check ups. K
It was the Eye Hospital that suspected and initially diagnosed the Sjögren's Syndrome, and they sent me to the Dental Hospital to confirm it.
The Dental Hospital worked out a treatment regime for the dry mouth and throat part of it. But that involved quite a few meds which my GP refused to prescribe. Patient's Advocate involved, and more. Got meds reinstalled. But then a few months down the line my GP stopped most of them again. Patient's Advocate again, meds reinstalled again, and then GP stopped them again. I was entitled to those meds according to the rules. It was never going to stop. I now am back to 2 prescription dry mouth meds. I finally gave up the constant GP battle. This was 18 years ago.
The very dry throat is why I have to sleep almost upright, otherwise there are problems breathing, because the muscles in my dry throat seize up, and then so does the airway tube because it is right next to those muscles. I needed the Prescription only dry mouth spray for that, but GP refused.
I ended up researching myself in the end for best ways to help myself. Some good friends in the States gave me several good suggestions and I had to buy stuff from the States then.
One I found very helpful was XyliMelts. I can get it on UK Amazon and eBay now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=xylimelts+for+dry+mouth&crid=20OJSWUSVF9JF&sprefix=Xylimelts,aps,159&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_9
The thing is I need to suck something all night to stop my dry mouth going so dry it sticks together. (My eyes do the same, my eyelids stick to my eyeballs by morning, and so I am using prescription eyedrops during the night). And the XyliMelts are the safer option to suck for my mouth being much smaller. I have sucked soft pastilles when I have run out of XyliMelts. I cannot drink just water on its own, it is too dry (it's like drinking sand), and so I put a tiny bit of xylitol in the water
Some people don't like XyliMelts, but they have been a lifesaver for me, literally.

Same here about Dentist, he is still not seeing patients.

Last edited:

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It was the Eye Hospital that suspected and initially diagnosed the Sjögren's Syndrome, and they sent me to the Dental Hospital to confirm it.
The Dental Hospital worked out a treatment regime for the dry mouth and throat part of it. But that involved quite a few meds which my GP refused to prescribe. Patient's Advocate involved, and more. Got meds reinstalled. But then a few months down the line my GP stopped most of them again. Patient's Advocate again, meds reinstalled again, and then GP stopped them again. I was entitled to those meds according to the rules. It was never going to stop. I now am back to 2 prescription dry mouth meds. I finally gave up the constant GP battle. This was 18 years ago.
The very dry throat is why I have to sleep almost upright, otherwise there are problems breathing, because the muscles in my dry throat seize up, and then so does the airway tube because it is right next to those muscles. I needed the Prescription only dry mouth spray for that, but GP refused.
I ended up researching myself in the end for best ways to help myself. Some good friends in the States gave me several good suggestions and I had to buy stuff from the States then.
One I found very helpful was XyliMelts. I can get it on UK Amazon and eBay now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=xylimelts+for+dry+mouth&crid=20OJSWUSVF9JF&sprefix=Xylimelts,aps,159&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_9
The thing is I need to suck something all night to stop my dry mouth going so dry it sticks together. (My eyes do the same, my eyelids stick to my eyeballs by morning, and so I am using prescription eyedrops during the night). And the XyliMelts are the safer option to suck for my mouth being much smaller. I have sucked soft pastilles when I have run out of XyliMelts. I cannot drink just water on its own, it is too dry (it's like drinking sand), and so I put a tiny bit of xylitol in the water
Some people don't like XyliMelts, but they have been a lifesaver for me, literally.

Same here about Dentist, he is still not seeing patients.
@gennepher
Exactly the same for me whatever I needed for dry mouth and the mouth rinse which numbed the pain my doctor refused to prescribed it even though the hospital had prescribed it, my tongue sticks to roof of mouth and I can’t breath ,I then get shedding has I loosen the tongue and coughing so not to keep disturbing mu husband I get up and make a coffee.After a few hours I get tired again and go back to bed.
If I’m lucky I may get 2to 3 hours more but I’m constantly tired I need to go back to bed in afternoon unless I go out and make myself stay awake being occupied with wherever we go too. Why are our doctors reluctant to prescribed our medication mine said I could buy it over the counter between Difflam mouth rinse £15 a bottle I can use at leased two bottles when Lichens Planus flares up and Volterol 2.3% strength £19 to £20 another two three tubes a month it mounts up. Especially when your on pension I haven’t worked all my life to pay for prescriptions that are needed because a stubborn doctor decided I can pay for them technically overruling a hospital consultant.. Our pension isn’t on a par with the doctors when he retires bet he won’t keep quiet if it happens to him, they have know idea it’s disgusting to have to fight for medication in this day . K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good night all you night owls going to try to go to sleep now, hubby well away,haha!!!!K

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with this several years ago and I agree that it is absolutely horrid. My dentist advised me not to use toothpaste containing Sodium Lauryl sulfate and it completely disappeared.