What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
755am FBG 4.6
That's probably because I wasn't able to eat the last two days.
I too am on light duties today - in theory.
Tomorrow would have been my father's 89th birthday. He never wanted any fuss, but Mum always arranged a family dinner and we all tried to attend.
@gennepher Why is cat food difficult for you to obtain? Is too heavy to carry or is there actually a shortage?
You care so much for the strays, its not surprising more keep turning up. They must think you a saint.
Did Jade ever become an indoor cat?

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
755am FBG 4.6
That's probably because I wasn't able to eat the last two days.
I too am on light duties today - in theory.
Tomorrow would have been my father's 89th birthday. He never wanted any fuss, but Mum always arranged a family dinner and we all tried to attend.
@gennepher Why is cat food difficult for you to obtain? Is too heavy to carry or is there actually a shortage?
You care so much for the strays, its not surprising more keep turning up. They must think you a saint.
Did Jade ever become an indoor cat?
Hugs for your memories @SlimLizzy

There appears to be a shortage.
The cat food shelves in shops and supermarkets have drastically reduced in size to a fraction of what they were. There is none of the cheaper brands of cat dry biscuits, only the expensive ones which have increased a lot in price. There is no way I can afford those. So, my light duties this morning was researching online for dry cat biscuits. I nearly gave up. Then I approached a manufacturer directly. And I only had to buy £40 dry cat biscuits in order to get free delivery, (I will cost them how long they last once I get them, but the birds eat them as well, they take turns with the stray cats from the same bowl).

There is a similar problem with the wet food.

On eBay for exactly the same size small bag that I have paid £1 for (I bought 42 bags from the manufacturer), there are a lot of eBay sellers charging £5:99 for the same size bag, up to £11.99 for exactly the same size bag I paid £1 for. It was just for the one bag, not a multiple purchase. What kind of increase/profit margin is that? It is indecent. So, do these people know/expect a shortage?

Why is there a shortage of cat food in the shops? I don't know. Is it temporary? Or more permanent? What by product is used for the cheaper cat food that is not being produced at the moment? I am expecting more cats to be chucked out if people cannot afford to buy cat food.

Jade would not come indoors. So, sadly she didn't become an indoor cat. She keeps a distance from all cats and people. She is still being fed by me, but often comes in the hours of darkness.

Two of the strays are mousers. Biscuit (a ginger was the first), and I noticed Calico this morning realises there are mice in my garden...so they are earning their keep...

EDIT: Just googled. Supply chain issues. Manufacturing plants also shut down because of labour shortages, aluminium problems, transport issues, and lots more...
Oh, and people adopted more pets creating a surge in demand...

Does the butcher still sell lites?
They used to give all that offal away years ago, I am talking 1970's, when the butcher gave me all his offal free so I could boil for my stray cats...don't ask me how many I had then...
I can't see that happening now.

Email come through! My dry cat biscuits order I made barely an hour ago is now being delivered tomorrow around 11am. Brilliant.

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.
A 6.2 this Morening on that meter.
Here in Tilehurst Towers it’s a trifle wet, other puddings are available, thick rice pudding was a favourite when me and me’s were young and dinosaurs etc, etc or so me and me’s tell the grandchildren.
Stay safe all.

Jojo85

Good morning everyone,

We are safe, thank goodness, but it's just non stop wet weather. Praying for all those affected by the floods.

Fbg at 7am was 5.3

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from under another indecisive looking sky here in the dark and dangerous north. It’s world book day and the Ninky Nonks are going as two very hungry Caterpillars while their sister, Little Miss Pamplemouse will be going to her themed Y2 class as a fashion designer - modelling took place during zoom call last night - very exciting. My new word of the year, Agnoiology - the theoretical study of the quality and conditions of ignorance, and in particular of what can truly be considered "unknowable”. I don’t know anything about it but I may know something soon. Bins - just realised that it’s bin day - best get a move on.
Art bit - diving - not arc of a diver by Christopher Cross. Hope your day is kind to you. Best get the bin out and then make koffy.

upload_2022-3-3_8-17-40.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from under another indecisive looking sky here in the dark and dangerous north. It’s world book day and the Ninky Nonks are going as two very hungry Caterpillars while their sister, Little Miss Pamplemouse will be going to her themed Y2 class as a fashion designer - modelling took place during zoom call last night - very exciting. My new word of the year, Agnoiology - the theoretical study of the quality and conditions of ignorance, and in particular of what can truly be considered "unknowable”. I don’t know anything about it but I may know something soon. Bins - just realised that it’s bin day - best get a move on.
Art bit - diving - not arc of a diver by Christopher Cross. Hope your day is kind to you. Best get the bin out and then make koffy.

View attachment 53629
Oh dear, I forgot bin day.
Just looked out...too late, been and gone.
Always next week...

The little 'uns are having fun!

Art bit @dunelm is great. The butterfly on the cliff opposite is ready to save him if needed...

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8 this morning. When I woke up I thought it was Friday. Really pleased that it is Thursday as I am hoping to have a really good admin day today as I don't have to be in Norwich until 5pm this evening.

Reactions: SlimLizzy

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.4

Creative today.
Kaleidoscope.
Taken with Laboscope, and played a bit with Procreate, then Snapseed for name and frame.
I do not know what Popeye is playing at today...

Outside in the garden Shadow has fed and disappeared into the undergrowth to watch Calico creeping in (she thinks unseen) finishing off the cat bowl and looking round cautiously. She has now gone. Shadow has re emerged 'When are you going to refill that bowl?' Mrs Blackbird is also nagging me to fill the cat bowl from the bird feeding table (which is only a disused small circular uplighter). She doesn't want the peanuts I put out earlier. But the wood pigeon does and has literally landed on top of her. I now have a single wood pigeon who visits daily about this time, and he/she polishes off the peanuts.

Time for another cuppa and to do my feeding duties...and appease a rather disgruntled Mrs Blackbird who was not very keen on being used as a landing pad...

15D43939-267B-48D8-BFF5-30DCFECF030B.jpeg

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello to all from a dreary skied Forest Heath where the theme of World Book day is inclusivity. I'm baffled by the choice of pyjamas to express that but that may be because I've caught @dunelm's new found love of these ideas. Does seem as though that lies behind the shambles and misery Putin and his disinformation apparatchicks have managed to create in "The West" over 22 years. A notable quickening of the pace there from 2016 aided by a few (2 especially) useful idiots. Anyhow, thank you for the art @dunelm; I'm glad you are safe and dry @Jojo85. Go Team D top on here - underneath the thickest jumper I can muster.
Edit:
@gennepher thanks for another wonderful kaleidoscope and I admire your concern for the local wildlife/stray? cats. @Krystyna23040 do take it as easy as you can today but wonderful fbg.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone,

We are safe, thank goodness, but it's just non stop wet weather. Praying for all those affected by the floods.

Fbg at 7am was 5.3

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
good that you are safe.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
@gennepher sorry pressed wrong button I’ve been out of bed since 2.50am today
I too have arthritis mine being osteoarthritis I’ve had it since I was a young woman of 28years in my spine in my knees ankles and nodules in my hands that are pulling my fingers towards my palms slowly.
Like you I’ve suffered deafness in both ears from birth but not profound deafness my eardrums were perforated but didn’t really ever heal has some do so without realising I have been lip reading all my life.
I had an operation on my eardrum when I was 24 years old they grafted part of my earlobe onto my eardrum and had to stay at home until it healed, this was not possible has my youngest son was in intensive care has I was having my operation and due to be transferred to the Southport Spinal Injuries Hospital within days.
There was no way could I let them do this without me accompanying him has he was only 4 years old and the spinal injuries were the result of a car accident a few weeks before my operation I needed to be with him, and against hospital advice I went with him in the ambulance very slowly driving all the way to Southport Spinal Unit.
And everyday after that, I travelled by bus and train from my home to be with him, consequently my operation failed so I still have perforated ears which heal and then perforate usually after some incompetent procedure is done annually at the local clinic, but they eventually heal.
He is to this day confined to a wheelchair we went to see him yesterday afternoon he works at home since Covid, he is a finance manager for our local council he’s never let anything stop him doing what he wants to in any wheelchair sports we have taken him all over the country competing in racing,archery, white water rafting, basketball and being hoisted up the side of a small mountain in the Lake District he’s my hero he’s marvellous. And he’s soon to be a grandfather his sons partner is due to give birth in May this will be our third great grandchild in last two years can’t wait. K
Hopefully you get some respite from your health problems and kitty kats along with all the wildlife in your garden will help with distraction from time to time, carry on with your wonderful stories and art works you give so much pleasure to many. K

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello to all from a dreary skied Forest Heath where the theme of World Book day is inclusivity. I'm baffled by the choice of pyjamas to express that but that may be because I've caught @dunelm's new found love of these ideas. Does seem as though that lies behind the shambles and misery Putin and his disinformation apparatchicks have managed to create in "The West" over 22 years. A notable quickening of the pace there from 2016 aided by a few (2 especially) useful idiots. Anyhow, thank you for the art @dunelm; I'm glad you are safe and dry @Jojo85. Go Team D top on here - underneath the thickest jumper I can muster.
Edit:
@gennepher thanks for another wonderful kaleidoscope and I admire your concern for the local wildlife/stray? cats. @Krystyna23040 do take it as easy as you can today but wonderful fbg.
Pyjamas? Probably because the reading is bedtime stories...
But it can be a nightmare when you are the mother of 3 children in Junior/infant school and you have a dressing up day for all 3. Pyjamas would have been a great option for me!

Thanks.
The wild beasties keep me entertained all day long @ianpspurs
The bird fat balls are lasting longer now the juicy green caterpillars are venturing out and other garden bugs are multiplying. And very soon I will get swarms of the marshtit/longtailedtits/and the rest of that family of birds who swoop in the morning and again in the evening to feed on the multiplying bugs...

Reactions: Granny_grump_

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pyjamas? Probably because the reading is bedtime stories...
But it can be a nightmare when you are the mother of 3 children in Junior/infant school and you have a dressing up day for all 3. Pyjamas would have been a great option for me!

Thanks.
The wild beasties keep me entertained all day long @ianpspurs
The bird fat balls are lasting longer now the juicy green caterpillars are venturing out and other garden bugs are multiplying. And very soon I will get swarms of the marshtit/longtailedtits/and the rest of that family of birds who swoop in the morning and again in the evening to feed on the multiplying bugs...
It is fortunate that those who collect the children at the end of the day don't need to wear their pajamas since my pajamas are indistinguishable from my skin. I'm glad the wildlife enjoy caterpillars because I never managed to win the war with them when they destroyed my much loved Brussels Sprouts. The very hungry caterpillar was a favourite of our first grandson. I had to recite the whole of Saturday's menu in one breath after doing it for fun one evening.

Reactions: jjraak

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is fortunate that those who collect the children at the end of the day don't need to wear their pajamas since my pajamas are indistinguishable from my skin. I'm glad the wildlife enjoy caterpillars because I never managed to win the war with them when they destroyed my much loved Brussels Sprouts. The very hungry caterpillar was a favourite of our first grandson. I had to recite the whole of Saturday's menu on one breath after doing it for fun one evening.
Too much information on your description of your pyjamas. K @inanspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
They fit perfectly - like a skin:angelic:. Since you asked I also don't like duvets or blankets. Nights where no covers are needed are very much my sweet spot - provided the sheets and pillow cases are pure white cotton. No pattern or colour thank you - same for crockery except the cotton (and walls ideally), obviously.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tried adding a funny face but it hasn’t worked, you need to be careful at this time of year, you’ll get a chill in your milk has the saying goes up North.K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
They fit perfectly. Since you asked I also don't like duvets or blankets. Nights where no covers are needed are very much my sweet spot - provided the sheets and pillow cases are pure white cotton. No pattern or colour thank you - same for crockery except the cotton (and walls ideally), obviously.
That’s sounds fine but life without colour I find a bit too bland for my tastes!!!!!K

Reactions: jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher sorry pressed wrong button I’ve been out of bed since 2.50am today
I too have arthritis mine being osteoarthritis I’ve had it since I was a young woman of 28years in my spine in my knees ankles and nodules in my hands that are pulling my fingers towards my palms slowly.
Like you I’ve suffered deafness in both ears from birth but not profound deafness my eardrums were perforated but didn’t really ever heal has some do so without realising I have been lip reading all my life.
I had an operation on my eardrum when I was 24 years old they grafted part of my earlobe onto my eardrum and had to stay at home until it healed, this was not possible has my youngest son was in intensive care has I was having my operation and due to be transferred to the Southport Spinal Injuries Hospital within days.
There was no way could I let them do this without me accompanying him has he was only 4 years old and the spinal injuries were the result of a car accident a few weeks before my operation I needed to be with him, and against hospital advice I went with him in the ambulance very slowly driving all the way to Southport Spinal Unit.
And everyday after that, I travelled by bus and train from my home to be with him, consequently my operation failed so I still have perforated ears which heal and then perforate usually after some incompetent procedure is done annually at the local clinic, but they eventually heal.
He is to this day confined to a wheelchair we went to see him yesterday afternoon he works at home since Covid, he is a finance manager for our local council he’s never let anything stop him doing what he wants to in any wheelchair sports we have taken him all over the country competing in racing,archery, white water rafting, basketball and being hoisted up the side of a small mountain in the Lake District he’s my hero he’s marvellous. And he’s soon to be a grandfather his sons partner is due to give birth in May this will be our third great grandchild in last two years can’t wait. K
Hopefully you get some respite from your health problems and kitty kats along with all the wildlife in your garden will help with distraction from time to time, carry on with your wonderful stories and art works you give so much pleasure to many. K

I started with osteoarthritis early on. Then developed rheumatoid arthritis in the early 1980's. Sjögren's Syndrome is connected with rheumatoid arthritis.
I know the problems you talk about @Granny_grump_

My hands do the same, claw, particularly the left hand. At night I wear arthritis gloves, and inside them, in my palm, I put a soft hand exercise ball, so it stays there all night. This helps stop the clawing. Before I did this, I was prising the fingers of my left hand from being so clawed. It works for me. I also have carpal tunnel syndrome so I wear wrist splints as well. I need my hand to paint and draw and everything else.. I also use Chinese metal exercise balls for my hands, but you can use them underneath your feet as well. I don't know if any of this would help you?

That was a lot to deal with early in your life, the operation, your young son. It is sad the ear operation didn't work, and you have had additional lifelong problems as a result.
Your son has done tremendously in life. All due to you. He is amazingly brilliant.

Third great-grandchild due soon!

Thank you for your compliments. The wild beasties are a great distraction to everyday life.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s sounds fine but life without colour I find a bit too bland for my tastes!!!!!K
Wood and brick or stone for walls is perfect for me. JKP likes colour and due to some odd genetic defect would have crockery and bed linen with patterns or, worse yet, flowers. Nightmare.