What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning from a breezy and unique area of the Exotic East. Warm (ish) enough for no socks but I could do with a summer weight top. I re-hydrated yesterday, enjoyed the England CC fightback and the salmon salad was sublime - thanks be to God and JKP. More cricket watching and hydrating today. Still a little sore from Wednesday and JKP is "protective." @dunelm Wireless Ridge looks wonderful, thanks for sharing. Have a safe journey the route sounds excellent. Will you be going into Bordeaux? Avoid Paris eh? We once went down to Sarlat very early after I had a double dose of anaesthetic and had been released late the night before - <3 hrs before dash to the Ferry. JKP was on her 2nd lap of the Périph before I awoke and navigated her off. Three fractious children must have made life hideous for her. @gennepher remarkable creative today. That fairy looks a tad demonic for me but thanks. @jjraak hug for the insurance hassle. JKP was an insurance broker so I let her find the deals on our wheels. Have a great day folks just not too great if you are a New Zealand cricketer.
She is very sweet @ianpspurs
:)

Reactions: jjraak

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who stuck two fingers up to the wind and ran away with the trolls.
5.6 this morning on that meter this morning.
Well fellow posters and painters whatever you have planned for today may it be successful, yesterday I successfully dismantled a planter and successfully received instructions from Mrs J about replacing it with two planters, the original was over 6 feet in length. That’s a lot of flowering weeds. Come the revolution brother they’ll all go.
Stay safe all and safe travels @dunelm, watch out for them there snails.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
7.05am FBG 5.8 A truly astonishing result.
As is generally the way of things, two steps forward and one back again. Yesterday and today no progress at all and several setbacks.
Still we had a successful scrumping of cherries, our vociferous neighbours sold their house and it's now a holiday home standing empty most of the year. It would be criminal to allow all those lovely cherries to go to waste. Thank you Mr Blackbird for alerting us to the ripening fruit by dropping some in the stable. Five minutes picking we have about a kilo of fruit. Needed washing and sorting but ooh how delicious the stolen fruit.

Reactions: mojo37

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
11.35am FBG 5.4 been awake for hours but only just got up. Weekends can be lazy.
Found yesterday's update still unposted. Activities for the day so far undecided.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
11.35am FBG 5.4 been awake for hours but only just got up. Weekends can be lazy.
Found yesterday's update still unposted, activities for the day still undecided, it's cool and breezy outside and just started raining quite heavily. @dunelm hope the weather is good to you for you trip to la Belle France.

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As is generally the way of things, two steps forward and one back again. Yesterday and today no progress at all and several setbacks.
Still we had a successful scrumping of cherries, our vociferous neighbours sold their house and it's now a holiday home standing empty most of the year. It would be criminal to allow all those lovely cherries to go to waste. Thank you Mr Blackbird for alerting us to the ripening fruit by dropping some in the stable. Five minutes picking we have about a kilo of fruit. Needed washing and sorting but ooh how delicious the stolen fruit.
Thumbs up for those delicious cherries @SlimLizzy

Reactions: ianpspurs

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really good that all those cherries have not been wasted.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where we lived in Cambs there were several orchards which were no longer tended. No one to inherit them and or no longer profitable nor likely to be given planning permission. Several types of plums and a few apples for those willing to forage. In mid September there was a strong smell of plums rotting on the trees which always seemed such a shame.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't have the nerve to go round there with a ladder, so the majority will be bird food...which may or may not be considered a waste.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where we lived in Cambs there were several orchards which were no longer tended. No one to inherit them and or no longer profitable nor likely to be given planning permission. Several types of plums and a few apples for those willing to forage. In mid September there was a strong smell of plums rotting on the trees which always seemed such a shame.
Yes, plums rotting on the trees is such a shame.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First world problems

Some advice please

Just had an interesting trip to Sainsbury's.

Self serve terminals.

Since accident carrying a plastic bag with more the just one or two items in, a tad more troublesome then previously.

So I decided to bring small rucksack .means I can load up ruckie, then walk safely using crutch ..suits me at the moment
(Bear in mind only one hand really works and other shoulder still recuperating)

However a most unpleasant encounter.

Assistant became quite belligerent
sure gent just had a bad day, on reflection.

I had no intention of disrespecting him, tho may have done inadvertently by requesting his attention.

Suffice a few minutes of '..big man'. This and "big man" that
(And btw I worked in an industry where that COULD be a intended as a compliment..trust me, this wasn't )

Perhaps my laughter offended him , who knows :rolleyes: at that point I was beyond caring for him or him hanging over me as I scanned each item,
Like a store detective, despite repeated calls for help from other shoppers

It became quite farcical :hilarious::hilarious:

Anyway point is for those who know .

Is the "use your own bag" really intended purely for other supermarket plastic bags ?

The intent was to fill the rucksack direct
Today it just seemed easier to use a Sainsbury's bag then decant into that.

Cheers
Might save another 'close encounter' next time :)

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
First world problems

Some advice please

Self serve terminals.

Since accident carrying a plastic bag with more the just one or two items in, a tad more troublesome then previously.

So I decided to bring small rucksack .means I can load up ruckie, then walk safely using crutch ..suits me at the moment

I had no intention of disrespecting him, tho may have done inadvertently by requesting his attention.

(And btw I worked in an industry where that COULD be a intended as a compliment..trust me, this wasn't )

Perhaps my laughter offended him , who knows :rolleyes: at that point I was beyond carrying for him or him hanging over me as I scanned each item,
Like a store detective, despite him being requested by other shoppers

Is the "use your own bag" really intended purely for other supermarket plastic bags ?

The intend was to fill the rucksack direct

Cheers
Hello fellow greaser, glad to read you are increasing your mobility.
Self service checkouts, me, me’s and myself can’t use them and regard them as a way of reducing the number of staff needing to be employed. When I do use them I always approach the designated member of staff who is responsible for this section, claiming to be be totally incompetent at these very confusing pieces of equipment blaming technological incompetence due to age, thus causing the staff member to smile in a patronising manner, but here’s the important bit they stand at my shoulder helping me. Which gives me ample time to make comments which hopefully and usually brighten up their day. If they are rude then they are at fault.
That’s my way and it works for me, me’s and myself.
Glad to read you are getting out and about.

Reactions: mojo37 and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First world problems

Some advice please

Self serve terminals.

Perhaps my laughter offended him , who knows :rolleyes: at that point I was beyond carrying for him or him hanging over me as I scanned each item,

Cheers
Oh boy @jjraak

Me and self check do not get on.

I can't hear what it is requesting me to do. I avoid them

But often I cannot if there are NO tills open. And my local supermarket (which I detest as regards service) doesn't have a dedicated self service assistant. I get there early sometimes to get cooked chicken, but no tills are open. I end up in trouble with the self service till who is barking instructions at me, I press help. The red light is flashing but no one comes to my aid. I stop store assistants, but they say No not their job. Find someone who can help please, I ask. They disappear, no one comes. I try again and again asking shop employees who walk past. By this time my hot meat is hot no more. And I am sort of subdued into submission. I have literally lost the power to my voice. I am on two crutches or my walker. Finally I managed to get an employee who was buying something for herself on next till, and politely ask her. I am not really supposed to do this, she said, looking around furtively, presses a couple of buttons, and sorts it. I thank her. BUT on that occasion I was waiting for 20 minutes for it to be sorted. The red light was flashing for 20 minutes.

I now have 3 scenarios in my head to enact the next time I encounter this situation. The most satisfying one is to let out a scream and drop my basket of eggs etc on the floor, and walk out...(as fast as a batty old lady on crutches can). But it doesn't get me my shopping.

I have one of my scenarios that I haven't tried out yet, and it isn't the above...

And I have had the stupid checkout till shouting at me about a carrier bag. I didn't know what it was on about. I didn't want a carrier bag, I needed to put the shopping direct into the bag fixed to my walker...

Do I lift my walker and place it on the self checkout till?

So, I am not much help into providing a peaceable solution to your dilemma @jjraak

I wish Alf's solution works at my local supermarket, but it doesn't.

When there is a dedicated assistant for this purpose I approach them explaining I am deaf and cannot hear the machine, so they take me to a machine, start it going, and then tell me to continue scanning my items. I am trying to explain I still need help because of my deafness, but they disappear off the face of the earth. Needless to say next problem is when machine talks to me again, I am stuck. And the assistant has gone.

It has to be an emergency if I shop at my local supermarket now...

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Got to do stuff today.
All present and correct at gennepher's cat diner and garden yesterday.
I've been working on a new app, and haven't mastered it yet.
So a quickie this morning.
Photo of Midnight early this morning.
Brushed him a lot yesterday.
Just one bit of dead fur to get out...
Cuppa next.
Have a good day...
7F9B3DFC-3A53-474E-8073-47967AC23887.jpeg

Reactions: SlimLizzy

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all on a sunny start here. Self-service tills seem to be the hot button topic today. @jjraak sorry to hear your tale of overly suspicious staff. At times I now use a walking stick and a very small backpack. Our nearest supermarket also happens to be Sainsbury's. In general I don't like Sainsbury's for food.. Meat and fish both pre-packed, prices too high for the quality, imho and can’t match LC choice for me compared to Waitrose, especially the smallish ones such as ours. Kids clothes are good though However, their smartshop works well and the local staff are very helpful. @gennepher I can totally see how self-service tills are a nightmare for you. Waitrose self-service tills obviously work like a charm, the staff partners are wonderful and the voice thanking one for shopping is in cut glass RP:angelic: Anyhow, have a great day everyone. I urgently need to find someone to build my grandson a tree house - £150k should do it. Are you busy Alf? JKP would see you right for koffy, tea and vegan bacon sarnies - she can swear in Welsh so mind your language. Don't worry about payment, I'll blag the money from some schmuck.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

Got to do stuff today.
All present and correct at gennepher's cat diner and garden yesterday.
I've been working on a new app, and haven't mastered it yet.
So a quickie this morning.
Photo of Midnight early this morning.
Brushed him a lot yesterday.
Just one bit of dead fur to get out...
Cuppa next.
Have a good day...
View attachment 55172
Lovely photo of Midnight @gennepher

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First world problems

Some advice please

Self serve terminals.

Cheers
That was a nightmare shopping trip @jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. We are off to Gooderstone Water Gardens again and hopefully the water lillies are fully out now.

Had a letter from O2. They have now found another overpayment - this time from 2018. They will shortly be sending me a cheque for a tiny amount.