What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can empathise Krystyna I gave up reading my cars manual/handbook...it was akin to one of my last essays on Plato's Cave...no on reflection I'd say Plato was the easier option...you'll get there...with me nowadays it's more trial & error.
i
I would agree with you there. - I am beginning to think that the people who wrote the manual have absolutely no idea how the car works.

However - success at last. Have finally got the 268 tracks on my memory stick to play in a random order on my car's music system. The car manual was absolutely useless. In the end I just happened to press a button and it just started working. Now all I have to do is remember which button it was.

It was so relaxing to listen to my music on the way to work.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 best wishes for blood tests and why dispirited? You are doing all you can and this is all about the pursuit of better control not perfect or optimal just better. You are in remission which people like me have long ago given up as a dream. You'll be fine.
@ianpspurs I am a bit dispirited because although I am down as 'being in remission'' on my medical notes my hba1c hovers around 42 and I think to be in real remission it should be below 40. OK - it was initially 125 and I was on insulin for many years so it probably is pretty miraculous that it is 42 just on LCHF. So you are right I shouldn't be despondent.

I had a rather strange appointment with the eye consultant in August. He said that my issue with my eyes has been caused by my hba1c being much too low at 42 and it should be much higher and I should speak to my doctor to find ways of getting it higher. I sort of felt that I had accidentally blundered into some sort of parallel universe as the conversation was so bizarre.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes always, even though it happens every time I still live in hope it’ll be better!
Yours and @Krystyna23040's will come down. You have fought something more immediately serious while controlling T2 well and @Krystyna23040 has come off of insulin. You are both success stories, supportive and reliably on message. Most of us are far more like struggling joggers than elite athletes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yours and @Krystyna23040's will come down. You have fought something more immediately serious while controlling T2 well and @Krystyna23040 has come off of insulin. You are both success stories, supportive and reliably on message. Most of us are far more like struggling joggers than elite athletes.
Nicely put. Totally agree!

Reactions: gennepher and DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Spot on @DJC.

Does remind me very much of a film a few years back, expanding on an idea
'pass it forward'.

rather then repay the giver of help, your honour bound to pass on similar help to another.

I see that day after day on here, and you were one of those who came to my aid.
so i KNOW you may have gotten, but you gave back a hell of a lot more.

but that's how the forum rolls it seems to me.

we are all in the same boat, but we are not ALL able to row at the same speed
or do the same task, but we ALL give something...Love it.
Beautifully put.

We are in this together. Helping each other along the way. With a good splash of humour in the mix.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
P.S. @PenguinMum today I ventured out for the first time since switching from the SSRI, Prozac, to Buspirone last Saturday. I didn't go anywhere challenging, just to the grocery store, but everything felt fine and I enjoyed a visit with 3 neighbors on the way. I will keep doing this now I know the new drug is working, because walking home my back and legs were aching from the past 3 days cooped up indoors. Need to get back to exercise!

I found some informative videos about Parliament. And the KittenCat sends purrs to 'las gatas.'

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Belated apologies, I don’t seem to be getting all notifications atm so I’m really sorry if I’ve missed anything anyone has said to me.
Has anyone else had this issue? I just use the app so it may be a problem with that I guess.

Reactions: HarryBeau

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks Ian, but I’m not sure it will come down. I think some people are just destined to have a higher base level. It came down fairly quickly at the beginning but now just ticks over.
I think we all jog along as best we can.

Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Belated apologies, I don’t seem to be getting all notifications atm so I’m really sorry if I’ve missed anything anyone has said to me.
Has anyone else had this issue? I just use the app so it may be a problem with that I guess.

I get this occasionally. I usually access this site on my laptop, sometimes with the app on my tablet or phone.

Reactions: DJC3 and HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I learned a useful new expression today. I don't know when I may get to use it, but now I have it in my word-hoard: 'I don't give a flying flamingo'. :playful:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I learned a useful new expression today. I don't know when I may get to use it, but now I have it in my word-hoard: 'I don't give a flying flamingo'. :playful:
@SaskiaKC you've been Bercowed.
Thanks Ian, but I’m not sure it will come down. I think some people are just destined to have a higher base level. It came down fairly quickly at the beginning but now just ticks over.
I think we all jog along as best we can.
@DJC3 I suspect there is a huge element of genetics and downright luck in how well this works despite the clever marketing. So, at around 5.20 my meter showed 5.7 (scales also showed 74.4 kgs). Both almost certainly better than if I ate the standard UK WOE but I couldn't stand up and say eat this way and you will manage T2 well with those kind of numbers. Some would point to mitigating circumstances right now but I really hope the surgeon who carried out my recent op is better at his 1 job. To me the point of testing is to be honest about what doesn't work not brush it under the carpet. @DJC3 I am definitely a jogger but I know my PB by now and I know what good control looks like for me as well as for the elite- this is not it. I do understand that statistically that level of control is better than not testing or lowering carbs just like regular exercise is better than none.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning with a 5.9 at 6 am. Looks a very uninspiring dull day here, to Mountain Bike ride or not to Mountain Bike ride, that is the question? Can I get out and back before the one hour delivery slot that's been promised for our Grandaughters birthday present delivery? We shall see.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning with a 5.9 at 6 am. Looks a very uninspiring dull day here, to Mountain Bike ride or not to Mountain Bike ride, that is the question? Can I get out and back before the one hour delivery slot that's been promised for our Grandaughters birthday present delivery? We shall see.
Go for it @Muddy Cyclist, Even a curtailed ride must be better than no ride.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

For ' Mountain Bike' read 'Horse' and the question is answered.

And the bike doesn't have to be groomed or tacked up or have its wheels picked. :D

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Picked up daughter from Oz at station yesterday. Went for a meal. Son came up from London. Some a threesome.

I was good with what I chose, yet I am 8.6 this morning. So maybe some hidden sugars in the meal. Only drank black coffee all day. Also I ate much later than I normally do, mid afternoon.

It was a good day. Going out for breakfast in a minute as soon as she has showered.

So have a good day.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs thank you - I like your post - it really cheered up up.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes @DJC3
I get exactly the same issue. And it is the same in the app or in the web. It is all the time.
I need to go back through all the posts to find everything, but some days I do not have time to do that.

So I am going to have to add my apologies here, because I am doing this while daughter is showering, and I am only going to have time to go back through a few posts and maybe one extra reply. So I am going to be badly missing what has been said. Daughter is only here a few days from Oz, so priority is catch up with her.