What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for sharing your stories, Krystyna. I can certainly relate to them. It's good that you have memories to make you smile. My FIL did not have dementia but could be mischeivous and a bit impulsive. In his 90's he was still mobile but was beginning to struggle with his sight. Once we had taken him on holiday with us. When it was time to leave we couldn't find him anywhere. Becoming really concerned we set of to search for him and looked everywhere we could think of. An hour later he casually walked up to us and told us he'd been on a lovely boat trip around the bay! When we were working he often liked to surprise us -like the time he painted our garden wall a shocking shade of bright red which took years to fade, bless him. With mum it has been a steep learning curve and for a long time I made the mistake of trying to involve her in choices/ decisions and of explaining what was going to happen but have now realised that she cannot cope with that and I have to make decisions in her best interest. Best wishes.:)
It's great that you are now making decisions in her best interests. I tried right up to the end to involve my father in law in all the decisions which was very clearly the wrong thing to do and did cause him stress.

After he died all I could remember was the bad times with his dementia but as the years pass the things I remember about him now are the good memories and the things that made me smile. It seems like the bad memories have faded away.

Your FIL sounds as though he really enjoyed his life - it's good to be a little bit mischievous.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
It's great that you are now making decisions in her best interests. I tried right up to the end to involve my father in law in all the decisions which was very clearly the wrong thing to do and did cause him stress.

After he died all I could remember was the bad times with his dementia but as the years pass the things I remember about him now are the good memories and the things that made me smile. It seems like the bad memories have faded away.

Your FIL sounds as though he really enjoyed his life - it's good to be a little bit mischievous.
Good to hear that you have reached the stage where your memories are good ones. :),Yes my FIL was quite a character right up until we lost him at 97years old and like you we often smile when we recall his litle idiosyncrasies.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really late posting - today was really hectic. A rather surprising 4.7 this morning. Haven't a clue why it is the 4s.

Had my appointment with my DN this morning and it went really well. She was really pleased with the hba1c of 36.

One thing she did clarify was that I am not in remission yet but will be if I maintain these numbers for 10 months. So I obviously misunderstood things when I thought I was in remission before. Have updated my profile. So I am on the way to remission but haven't quite got there yet. I actually quite like this as it means that I won't get complacent and slip back into my bad old high carb ways. I do love a challenge.

She also thought that my Eye Consultant thought I was still in insulin which is why he wanted my Hba1c much higher - which makes perfect sense.

Feeling sleepy so may not catch up with everyone's posts tonight.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Late on parade..
lazy day..spent yesterday moving our steph out to her new home.:arghh:
moving in with friends so daddy Uber, dragooned into service..
two argos stops and tv/brackets/bedside table/ ..and an Airer..:wideyed: purchased, set up, screwed together, whatever ..it's all done.
so a well deserved day off, for Moi..:D

seal team 6.0 rapid HALO descent into the kitchen while i was making tea , just to sit-rep me all OK
ok, maybe,.. but wasn't too impressed..i prefer the sounds of mcgarrett's waves to sounds of choppers and 'Hoo-rah'

day for me, was readjusting the house to stephs departure.
spaces to be reacquired, shelves now bare to redistribute between me n lauren of arabia.
and the weights bench now takes pride of place in stephs old room..(for now..:hilarious:)

night all x

A well-deserved day off indeed. And in memory of my own Papa Uber I salute you.
m1239.gif

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning...in bed at 10:30pm last night that's unheard of for me but I was shattered...a good sleep with young Master Frankie who came with a bag full of feeding stuff...for supper he had beef mince with a little quinoa mixed with spinach a few dried biscuits & a spoonful of mussel powder sprinkled atop...the same for breakfast...need to get organised hedge cutting later this morning....this coffee is a godsend...woke to a 6.5 & this young man plastered all over my feet.

View attachment 35701

View attachment 35702
Double cute!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen it so many times before...of course fully supported by Diabetes.org

I keep thinking about challenging their advice in court. When I worked on the census I took my employer to small claims court and won. This would be a different league! Their booklet says something like 'diabetics used to have a restrictive diet but not anymore, you can eat all the carbs you like, stuff them on your face at least 3 times a day, dont forget to snack too, but for God sake go easy on the fat, cut it off, cut it out, basically just cut it' or words to that effect.

Do you know when the guidelines changed exactly per chance?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really late posting - today was really hectic. A rather surprising 4.7 this morning. Haven't a clue why it is the 4s.

Had my appointment with my DN this morning and it went really well. She was really pleased with the hba1c of 36.

One thing she did clarify was that I am not in remission yet but will be if I maintain these numbers for 10 months. So I obviously misunderstood things when I thought I was in remission before. Have updated my profile. So I am on the way to remission but haven't quite got there yet. I actually quite like this as it means that I won't get complacent and slip back into my bad old high carb ways. I do love a challenge.

She also thought that my Eye Consultant thought I was still in insulin which is why he wanted my Hba1c much higher - which makes perfect sense.

Brilliant.

Your profile still says insulin dependent type 2 for info

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

https://diabetestimes.co.uk/abcd-and-pcds-produce-type-2-diabetes-remission-definition/

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning, another short nights sleep and a 5.5 greeting. A sunshine day promised but it's still dark so I have to wait and see what the world throws at us.

I'm on granddaughter watch this morning whilst Mrs MC and our daughter go off enjoying themselves, a chance for me and my 4 year old granddaughter to be really silly indeed. :)

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.2

Getting all readings slightly lower...

I have a meal out with a friend today. Not sure of the menu but I will work it out when I get there. I’ll get there half an hour early and peruse the menu and specials of the day before my friend arrives.

My readings in the night, I visit the bathroom often enough so it’s easy enough to take a reading then, are in the 6’s on the nights when I have taken the readings.

I was wondering when to knock one of the Metformins on the head. Not just yet but I am thinking about it.

I am on two metformins in a morning and one in an evening.

I am supposed to be on Sitagliptin, but I knocked that one in the head months ago when I found it was making no difference at all to my blood sugar readings.

So, I am thinking it might make sense to knock one of the morning Metformin’s off, and just take one morning and one in the evening? I am used to taking it twice a day, so continue with that regular habit for the mo.

But I have two meals out with friends this week, so I will see how that goes and the choices I make for the meals. And reconsider this issue of whether to remove one of the Metformins next week.

Just do this for a week, and then reconsider if I am doing this too early at the end of next week. Does anyone think that might be a good plan?

Or, would it be a better idea to wait until I get blood sugar readings of 5’s and definitely do it them.

I would appreciate any of your thoughts and ideas. Thank you.

My ultimate aim is to become Metformin free, but I accept that may not happen.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant.

Your profile still says insulin dependent type 2 for info
Hi @Krystyna23040 just to let you know I don't see any information on your profile regarding being Insulin Dependent. Just letting you know because I had a similar issue with different members seeing different information. I resolved it by emailing Diabetes.co.uk.
Congratulations on getting into remission, well done.

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning, another short nights sleep and a 5.5 greeting. A sunshine day promised but it's still dark so I have to wait and see what the world throws at us.

I'm on granddaughter watch this morning whilst Mrs MC and our daughter go off enjoying themselves, a chance for me and my 4 year old granddaughter to be really silly indeed. :)

Have fun!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Krystyna23040 just to let you know I don't see any information on your profile regarding being Insulin Dependent. Just letting you know because I had a similar issue with different members seeing different information. I resolved it by emailing Diabetes.co.uk.
Congratulations on getting into remission, well done.

I agree with @Muddy Cyclist because I see nothing on your profile @Krystyna23040 to say insulin dependent either.

Reactions: HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know when the guidelines changed exactly per chance?
I am aware they changed their dietary advice in 2018 (the first time since 2011) and finally recommended low carb...however they combined that with low fat so not quite the whole hog...as for when the current diet & snack recommendations arrived who can say?...perhaps I may do a bit of research.

Reactions: Debandez

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...day two with Frankie & all is going well (apart from when he did terrible things to Mr. Rabbit) great fun having a puppy here...Churchill is not impressed...started the hedge cutting yesterday phase 1...more to do it really is a monster of a hedge I underestimated the size of it...coffee is welcome...more coffee needed...woke to a 6.2