What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check this out folks. Its heartwarming to read, and bob on! Things are moving.

https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Yesterday went well. Talked about my journey, took lots of visuals. Pouring sugar equivalent to breakfast, lunch and dinner pre diagnosis. Eye boggling. Bottles of drinks with equivalent sugars. Innocent was the worst!!! Gave out Eric's homemade peanut butter cookies which went down a treat (literally).

Sad news though. The 2 people who run it are retiring due to ill health sadly. The thing that made them decide was diabetes.org.uk who are behind it have contacted them. Its voluntary work but they now need to apply for their roles, need 2 references and police checks. Been running it for years. But they said the pressure to fundraise hasn't helped. DUK revolve around donations. Not sure what they ate doing with the money, not a lot as far as I can see. The lady who runs it has also ignored their guidelines and reduced her weight and insulin by going low carb. The gentleman has also reduced weight. Also low carb. They know why I wont apply for the role!!! Not a sniff. I did say I would be interested in.using the room which is free for a low carb group. So currently checking that out. I already hold a monthly support clinic at my surgery and dont want to over commit. I kind of lovd being 'freelance'. Doing what I want when I want.

Today and tomorrow is granddaughter day. Magic moment today. We watched Frozen together. She is just 3 and understood everything. We laughed and cried together. Love it.

Tonight me and Eric going to his infant and junior school. They are opening the doors to.allow old (!!!) Pupils back. Pet shop boys Chris Lowe went so I'm taking my autograph book. And my diabetes leaflets of course!! Done a stack to hand out on Monday.

Getting behind on forum. I seem to be addicted to Twitter@!!

Hope all ok with everyone.

Congratulations on the birth of your new granddaughter @dunelm.

Loved the set up for table..very professional looking.
btw.. where's MY biscuit, Eric....can't just wet our appetite by posting up and NOT send on,,can ya ?...<taps foot in annoyance >...;)

Liking the Freshwell project..
"...As a GP practice who have been advocating a real food, low carb lifestyle to our patients for only a few months,
we continue to be staggered by the health improvements that so many of our patients are achieving so quickly...."

more power to the elbow, i say.

sad about the two retiring over the Others activities.
might be forced on them by GDPR or some such initiative,
and yeah, i'd be curious where the money goes, sure they must have to post up somewhere.

Saw this..and just wondered how much more it would help if they adopted the Low Carb (LCHF model.)..instead of spending out on juices and shakes..do the companies making them give them away for free, i doubt it?
and afterwards.... aren't people then just left to find the next bar on the diabetic trapeze by themselves, to get them,through the next X number of years in their life..?
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/cost-of-remission

And while i am grateful for what care i have been given and the meds..(free :bag:)
i just wonder if i can get a rebate, as i doubt my running costs are anywhere near that...thanks to DCUK.:happy:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Random reading @ 3.30 after big breakfast ( including champagne, 2 mini croissants with plenty of butter + CWC) and lounging by the pool - 4.6. See post

Unfortunately ultra low carb does not work for me, moderately low carb and moderate fat works, I need some carb. The diabetic consultant at the hospital told me this and much to my horror he was correct. He had understood my metabolism.

After following your posts for some time I feel that perhaps you are like me and need more selective carbs.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so with a late flurry of interest in my web life world
a little late on parade but here and accounted for,

yesterday went an met niece, had tea and a chat.
oldest Nephew in from work so pop out for One.

Yes, yes i know you know what happened next.:hilarious:

Missus ok but not happy i made noise getting in,

Tripped over the cat (why U try Kill me, me Luv u )
stepped in it's water bowl, flooded onto floor, so she gets up to see what all the commotion is, to find me mopping kitchen floor while swaying merrily..Not impressed, i don't think.

Hope she hasn't really got my name down for one of the free spots on the local park bench with the others wino's ..Ouch :wideyed:

All good this am, understands i just needed a little 'time' out.
last night pre bed 6.5
this am fbg good old 5.8..my favourite of the Five family who live in my meter.

walked home, and passed chicken shop on way last night..so one beer..;):hilarious: and a leg of chicken with half a portion of rice... Didn't spike me.
Now i KNOW it's not in the game plan, but i was starving after eating so little during the day.
well, NOT starving but certainly Peckish..and alcohol interferes with the reads, so i know i can't can't take that as being an OK to eat.

But it did the old standby of every one who's been a little tipsy.
i bought grub, and then left most of it while i went to bed..LoL

So fridge had more then half a grilled chicken in, plus a half portion of rice
shame to let it go to waste, so i experimented.

Don't try this at Home..:bag:

I had read that re-frying/reheating rice or Potatoes CAN help reduce the starch in the food.
so in the interests of all on here, i put that to the test this evening (beer free so score should count )

Tested before, tested at the 2 hour maker.

cut up meat and fried in a little olive oil, a few mins, then added rice and stirred in for a few more minutes.
popped in Bowl, added my new FAV, Nandos Peri-peri sauce..(small bottle tesco's ) tucked in , i think they say on the FOOD Channel

I give you exhibit A and B learned members of the Jurys to judge for yourselves.

IMG_20191121_182907~01~01.jpg
IMG_20191121_182912~01.jpg

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so with a late flurry of interest in my web life world
a little late on parade but here and accounted for,

yesterday went an met niece, had tea and a chat.
oldest Nephew in from work so pop out for One.

Yes, yes i know you know what happened next.:hilarious:

Missus ok but not happy i made noise getting in,

Tripped over the cat (why U try Kill me, me Luv u )
stepped in it's water bowl, flooded onto floor, so she gets up to see what all the commotion is, to find me mopping kitchen floor while swaying merrily..Not impressed, i don't think.

Hope she hasn't really got my name down for one of the free spots on the local park bench with the others wino's ..Ouch :wideyed:

All good this am, understands i just needed a little 'time' out.
last night pre bed 6.5
this am fbg good old 5.8..my favourite of the Five family who live in my meter.

walked home, and passed chicken shop on way last night..so one beer..;):hilarious: and a leg of chicken with half a portion of rice... Didn't spike me.
Now i KNOW it's not in the game plan, but i was starving after eating so little during the day.
well, NOT starving but certainly Peckish..and alcohol interferes with the reads, so i know i can't can't take that as being an OK to eat.

But it did the old standby of every one who's been a little tipsy.
i bought grub, and then left most of it while i went to bed..LoL

So fridge had more then half a grilled chicken in, plus a half portion of rice
shame to let it go to waste, so i experimented.

Don't try this at Home..:bag:

I had read that re-frying/reheating rice or Potatoes CAN help reduce the starch in the food.
so in the interests of all on here, i put that to the test this evening (beer free so score should count )

Tested before, tested at the 2 hour maker.

cut up meat and fried in a little olive oil, a few mins, then added rice and stirred in for a few more minutes.
popped in Bowl, added my new FAV, Nandos Peri-peri sauce..(small bottle tesco's ) tucked in , i think they say on the FOOD Channel

I give you exhibit A and B learned members of the Jurys to judge for yourselves.

View attachment 36844
View attachment 36845

Exhibit C-For-Cat water bowl --evidence that Marley is now an official member of the @jjraak household = I recommend Marley be awarded some of the chicken dinner.
(Learned colleague the KittenCat concurs.) ^. .^

Reactions: mojo37 and DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exhibit C-For-Cat water bowl --evidence that Marley is now an official member of the @jjraak household = I recommend Marley be awarded some of the chicken dinner.
(Learned colleague the KittenCat concurs.) ^. .^

Got me bang to rights @SaskiaKC

I can only throw myself on the mercy of the court, and ask for other offences to be taken into account... To whit... Cat has its own food bowl..... And a cushion..:arghh:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today a letter arrived. I have been summoned to my Health Centre to talk to their expert Pharmasist about my latest HbA1c test. These are the same professionals who should have called me for the test on 24th October but didn't, I had to go and make the appointment myself.

Now the resident Pharmasist is a very nice man, I have seen him before. Last time when my HbA1c was 44 and Cholesterol 6.2 but he still wanted me to have Metformin and Statins, it will be interesting to hear what he says now I have a HbA1c of 42, bet it's the same advise and the eat well plate.

So I am going to gather as much info as possible about the reason LCHF, weight loss, exercise and no meds is working for me and go armed with it to this appointment.

Oh, after the HbA1c test, remember the one I had to arrange as they had forgotten, I had a text asking me to score them 1to5 1 being good 5 bad based on the question 'Would you recommend the health centre to a friend or relative needing the same treatment?' After rolling about in fits of laughter I gave them a 5, never a peep from them. Now you would think a progressive health centre of excellence, their words not mine, would want to know why I gave them the lowest score possible.

Watch this space.

Great rehearsal tonight I think Saturdays gig will be OK but just checked on google maps and it's over 1hour 50 mins drive from home so a late night looms on Saturday.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now the resident Pharmasist is a very nice man, I have seen him before. Last time when my HbA1c was 44 and Cholesterol 6.2 but he still wanted me to have Metformin and Statins, it will be interesting to hear what he says now I have a HbA1c of 42, bet it's the same advise and the eat well plate.

After rolling about in fits of laughter I gave them a 5,

Now you would think a progressive health centre of excellence, their words not mine, would want to know why I gave them the lowest score possible.

It a conundrum..it's almost like the Emperors new clothes they just don't want to believe what they say isn't how it really is.

I'm due a review and was gearing myself up for a little verbal combat.
Nothing rude, just to put it out there, that their way is perhaps not the best for me.

Something, @Debandez said in her first stages of dx was she asked for WHO else in the surgery had MATCHED or beaten her downturn in HBA1c, i think the lie came back that it was many...:rolleyes:

Now, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, seems to have come into debs head, so she FOI them to release the details.
and we both KNOW how many patients matched our fearless T2D Warrior Princess......:D

was going to ask, for myself a similar question (genuinely interested )

things is i can see the 10 minute window disappearing as i then get into WHY....

Why does no one want to KNOW.
WHY do we NOT give the choices to everyone.
WHY is a meter NOT deemed suitable ...
even if it is just to inform about the efficacy of them from a REAL LIFE View point,
not some Airy fairy dog poo from people who DO NOT SUFFER this disease.

which is when i think, maybe next time out...:banghead:

So you don't have to take ANYTHING they suggest if YOU feel it's counter productive to YOUR health.
But you know that..but maybe put them on the back foot, & ask how many match YOUR good score?

Shouldn't the MARK of a progressive centre for health care excellence .( .like how their shooting for the moon ..;) )
be how SUCCESSFUL it is managing certain diseases (T2D in this case) as in downward trend of the overall HBA1c numbers of the patients there,
rather then how well it FAILS so many T2D's with the predictable ongoing progression into declining health.

A simple, 8/10 patients get down to pre-diabetic numbers within 2 years..(we can finesse the scores later )
would inspire a LOT more confidence they had scoobies what there doing when it come to T2D
THAT'S the mark of a centre of excellence.

rather then the current... only 3 /10 patients lost a foot in the previous 2 years....:***:

YOU, ME, WE....all deserve better then the dogs dinner we currently get.
as L'oreal say... because We ARE worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just been playing recorder duets with myself, and practicing Jingle Bells. I found I've forgotten how to play ensembles ... even tho me and my phone are hardly an ensemble ... and I enjoyed the work. I recorded myself playing both parts and then played along with the playback.

It reminded me of the work of riding lessons, something else I've really enjoyed, and now miss. I know I miss it, but it's not until I do it again that I realize all the aspects I've missed. I talked with a friend in the city I've thought of moving to, about doing lessons with her, then I checked Uber and saw that a round trip between the apartment and the barn would cost at least $80, so that's a no-go.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just been playing recorder duets with myself, and practicing Jingle Bells. I found I've forgotten how to play ensembles ... even tho me and my phone are hardly an ensemble ... and I enjoyed the work. I recorded myself playing both parts and then played along with the playback.

It reminded me of the work of riding lessons, something else I've really enjoyed, and now miss. I know I miss it, but it's not until I do it again that I realize all the aspects I've missed. I talked with a friend in the city I've thought of moving to, about doing lessons with her, then I checked Uber and saw that a round trip between the apartment and the barn would cost at least $80, so that's a no-go.

Lots of hugs @SaskiaKC
Travel to do things we love to do can be too costly.
t69067.gif

t69097.gif

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blooming cold here.
Just put electric blanket on so I can get back to sleep...maybe...

Readings are 6.7
This will have to be my fbg, if you can call it that 'cos I have been awakeish...

I've read back quite a few hours on what you all were discussing yesterday (Thursday). I'll have to read again in daylight hours, but I think I got the gist of it.

Many years ago (pre internet that is) I used to do 'research' in Dillon's bookshops, then Waterstone's, and also Blackwell's the University bookshop, in order to find out stuff we have at our fingertips on the internet now. Public Libraries were only any good for antiquated books (and they had brilliant old books but not up to date info).

I even took in a notebook and pen and took notes. Okay I was cheeky, but I always bought something (just not the book I wanted information from because it was too expensive) each time I went. And I would buy quite a lot books, I just never left without buying something as 'payment' for my research. No one ever stopped me researching. And it was good when they provided chairs and coffee!

Anyway, that was a long preamble to what I am leading up to :)

After all this time I have no idea of the source of this info, but I made notes from this book that men and women's metabolisms/body make up was different, so it was saying that men could have more starch type foods as bread etc than women. It suggested men could have these foods every day, but not women. It said that women should only have bread every other day. It did explain better than I am doing so here.

I remember trying that because I was having problems with foods then (I can't recall exact details now and I had been to my doctor but with no joy, 1980's I think, doctor gave me a leaflet on food then and that leaflet said to eat beefburgers in white buns...so much bread it advised to eat then on a daily basis, and that it was healthy to eat at McDonald's/Wimpy), but I felt a lot better for only actually eating bread on alternate days.

What I do recall, in detail from that day some decades ago, is buying a book of postcards from the bookshop. The postcards were of unicorns...and I still have it...and I know exactly where it is :)

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. @gennepher hug for the cold - another poolside breakfast and sunbathing day here - last full one. @trick60 snap with the 6.0 - can't say it feels fiveish infact, being a family show, I can't say what it feels like. Hopefully, swerving a large plate of assorted cheese and nuts at the end of tonight's meal will put things right tomorrow. Average fbg for a month is bedtime 5..04 and fbg 5,5 - which I couldn't really use as evidence that how I am handling bg control works. A good check is coming up with 6 month review. Stayed here in late October 2017 and Dec review had stats of A1C 5.6 , cholesterol 4 and weight 76 kgs - after the non diabetic issues earlier matching that would be ok, I guess. Have a great day - I must finish my tea and head for the weights.
@SaskiaKC Ps 65 is very apt and my challenge is to control my enjoyment of these wonders.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just started reading a novel that mentions a couple who have abandoned London for the wilds of Surrey having 'swapped urban amenities for rural bliss.' Interesting timing for reading this book!

Deep in the wilds of Surrey

t07176.gif

Zombie Apocalypse
t10112.gif
h19056.gif
t2604.gif

and Amazon singing boxes

images

Eeeeeeeeeeeekkkk!!!!
t3609.gif

But fortunately ...

This story involves a cat called Clovis
t09063.gif

and a dog called Talisker
t0474.gif

and a barbarian of ill repute
h19070.gif

and if Clovis can't rule out the Zombie Apocalypse

t07116.gif

and the barbarian can't freeze them out

h19093.gif

Talisker will put them to sleep right back where they belong
t10111.gif

t07067.gif
I think you should actually write a book entitled 'life as an animated emoticon'. Awful title but it would be a best seller. I for one would buy it!!!

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and a 5.5 on this damp day in the centre of the UK or thereabouts.

Granddaughter day then all family around for evening meal, games and lots of music.

Dodge the rain drops, hide from the cold, or soak up the sun, have the best day you can each and every one.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been playing recorder duets with myself, and practicing Jingle Bells.
Reading the first few words of your post I was very impressed, I had visions of you blowing two Recorders at the same time :joyful: then I realised your phone was involved, well done you!
We were playing Christmas tunes in a recorder quintet yesterday, rehearsing for a Christmas gig in December, you would have so enjoyed it, such a shame you can't find other musicians close to you to play with. We travel over 30 miles to rehearsal which makes a 60 mile round trip, this would be impossible on public transport or taxi and even If our government sorted cheaper more reliable public transport as one party promises I can't see it would ever improve such journeys into rural areas.
Just had a thought, you could start a recorder group amongst your neighbours, you can buy them cheap enough and you sound talented enough to teach them.

@jjraak thanks for support and advise regarding my HbA1c review, duly noted and appreciated. You are right and sadly I won't be taking their advise but it's very frustrating.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today a letter arrived. I have been summoned to my Health Centre to talk to their expert Pharmasist about my latest HbA1c test. These are the same professionals who should have called me for the test on 24th October but didn't, I had to go and make the appointment myself.

So I am going to gather as much info as possible about the reason LCHF, weight loss, exercise and no meds is working for me and go armed with it to this appointment.

Oh, after the HbA1c test, remember the one I had to arrange as they had forgotten, I had a text asking me to score them 1to5 1 being good 5 bad based on the question 'Would you recommend the health centre to a friend or relative needing the same treatment?' After rolling about in fits of laughter I gave them a 5, never a peep from them. Now you would think a progressive health centre of excellence, their words not mine, would want to know why I gave them the lowest score possible.

Watch this space.

Great rehearsal tonight I think Saturdays gig will be OK but just checked on google maps and it's over 1hour 50 mins drive from home so a late night looms on Saturday.
So, that’s their idea of a progressive health centre of excellence - wild!
Readings are moving down the hill - happy days.