What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and a 5.7 for me today. The rest of our Recorder quartet is arriving for lunch followed by some long hours rehearsing of our Christmas Music ready for the gigs before Christmas.

Stay safe one and all.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone please explain why fasting BG is important for prediabetic?
Also. I have to walk to the bathroom before I can test, so is this "Foot to the floor" not Fasting?
This link may help...

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/fasting-blood-sugar-levels.html

I do not use any medication just diet and exercise, I personally use my fasting blood reading as a guide to how I should eat for the rest of the day especially breakfast trying to adjust the carb intake accordingly. I am not sure this is how it should be used but it helps me know how I am controlling this disease. I am sure there are experts who can give you much more scientific explanations.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay! The lobby clerk just brought up my groceries, safe and sound. The KittenCat got a feast of chicken from one of the cans, and at her next shift the lobby clerk is getting a surprise -- I'm thinking chocolates.
Brilliant @SaskiaKC
I am glad the lobby clerk sorted it for you.
KittenCat was definitely pleased!!!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...freezing here heating is going on immediately...a latish evening again I still haven't got back into a regular sleeping pattern...lots of paperwork to get done sadly no enthusiasm to do it...coffee brewing...woke to a 6.2

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Freezing cold here also. 5.0 this morning.

My new balaclava was delivered yesterday so am looking forward to wearing it doggie walking this morning. It got good reviews on Amazon but it was the bad review that prompted me to buy it - it said that it was too warm for the UK climate. So obviously it was the ideal hat for me.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all from a slightly warmer North. After only a slight skirmish (bruised ego) with doomy, a 7.9 was petulantly thrown at me, and it sat on the bench seething that I had the temerity to prod it into life! I am trying to revise for my NEBOSH Fire Risk Management exams tomorrow and it's not going well, for the first time in my life nothing is going in, or staying in. So I will prepare myself to have to resit it next year, I might actually retain some of it when I re-read it all. At least I have passed the Risk Assessment part!!

Take care everyone.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from a slightly warmer North. After only a slight skirmish (bruised ego) with doomy, a 7.9 was petulantly thrown at me, and it sat on the bench seething that I had the temerity to prod it into life! I am trying to revise for my NEBOSH Fire Risk Management exams tomorrow and it's not going well, for the first time in my life nothing is going in, or staying in. So I will prepare myself to have to resit it next year, I might actually retain some of it when I re-read it all. At least I have passed the Risk Assessment part!!

Take care everyone.
When things like this have happened to me I found that putting the revision aside and going for a couple of miles of mindless relaxation has helped. Hope things go better than you perceive.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shameful, I think an email to the centres management politely outlining your experience with the person and asking if it is a policy of the centre to withhold prescriptions.

Since my original diagnosis I have had two further HbA1c tests and reviewed after each. I was told on diagnosis and again today I would be called for my next by text and email. I had to request both HbA1c tests, apparently the practice lets them redline for two months before they start sending text, why? I have asked this of the manager by email with no reply as of yet. Oh, and today the Pharmasist said why did you request a Cholesterol Test this time we would only usually do them every 12 months, he even said someone, I don't know who someone is, will start asking questions if this continues. I assured him I had not requested one just the HbA1c test, I'm not sure he believed me.

Like @jjraak mentioned when the NHS performs it is excellent, I have experienced this on a few occasions but often on the day to day non emergency stuff it can be very poor indeed, probably the fault of an overwhelmed system which throwing money at may help but not fix.

Then you get the sublime to the ridiculous, where the NHS and Social Services are completely out of touch with one another, and health and safety makes things difficult to perform good care, although I can see all sides to this one in the society as it is. Mrs MC's mom is 93 with very bad Alzheimer's but she is still living at home where she feels safe and with Mrs MCs organising she self funds carers who go in three times a day to help dress, wash, feed and medicate. Last week Mrs MC's mom was found on her bedroom floor by the first carer of the day who called Mrs MC to say she could not help her off the floor because she was not allowed to and had called the Paramedics who could not come for more than 2 hours as there were more urgent emergencies but not to worry as MIL was Ok even though still on the floor. Now MIL is less than 8 stone and does have enough strength if helped to get off the floor so why not let the carer try, but due to health and safety the Care Company's policy says there must be two carers to do this, surely they should allow carers to risk assess and take appropriate action? MRs Mc dashes over, well it took her 2 hours so hardly a dash. Paramedics arrive at the same time as Mrs MC, they were professional, caring and stayed and made MIL tea and chatted to her, MIL loved them, this is the brilliant side of the NHS. They told Mrs MC that lots could be done to keep MIL safe in her home and that social services would be of great help in giving advice, providing equipment putting up wall handles and such to allow MIL to stay in her own home where she was comfortable and happy. Later that week a rather stroppy social service lady got in touch with Mrs MC she was rude and angry because Mrs MC could not tell her what was required to help MIL, Mrs MC asked what can social services offer and can they come and asses the situation to provide and advise, the lady continued to be obnoxious saying there is a three part system why have you not followed it, Mrs MC explained she wasn't aware of such a system and what should she do to follow it, social service person got more stroppy eventually saying you will get a form in the post, that's the first part and rang off. Form came, filled in sent back and more phone calls, end result NOTHING they can't do anything to help. Basically if you are like MIL with a Mrs MC fighting your corner and more than a few quid in assets you are on your own, not that that's a problem, why not self fund equipment and carers if you can afford it. But surely some good advise should be given by those who must know what can be done to help old vulnerable people. Mrs MC then called MILs doctors to get a doctor to visit to check out MILs meds as Paramedics explained some of the combination of meds she was on could be causing light heads. Doctors will not do home visits and insist MIL can go to health centre, she is 92, frail and disorientated outside her home. So horns are locked battle rages, will a doctor come, I doubt it unless we start making suggestions that if MIL ends up in hospital we shall be mentioning the docs refusal to home visit to assess MIL and her medication, but how terrible if it amounts to that. Watch this space.

Sorry I have rambled on but this situation and the experience of @trick60 @gennepher many others and myself with Pharmasist must be similar all over the country, it's going to take some mending.

Hi @Muddy Cyclist

I have a few things I would like to respond to in your post. I can't work out how to cut and paste the words as individual quotes and respond. I know @OldButBold explained this to Saskia (and I bookmarked it)but it's too early for my brain to work out, so bear with my long winded way of doing this.

First, as far as I know GP's should still do home visits. They did vote not to, but it's not come in force yet and there was opposition to it.

I looked on CAB site and they say
"
Unless the GP's register is full, or you live too far away for home visits, it is unlikely that the GP will refuse to accept you. However, if the GP does refuse to accept you, then they must have reasonable grounds for doing so. ... The GP must give you the reasons for their decision in writing.
upload_2019-12-3_6-56-39.png

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk › ...
NHS patients' rights - Citizens Advice
"

I hope I have done the above right.

You don't want to be fighting stuff like this at a time like this, but this rubbish happens.

I have always found paramedics to be absolutely caring and amazing, and they go above and beyond.

Now, social services....
Where I lived before, I was assessed and I was given all kinds of help, services, and equipment.
Here, where I live in Wales now, I have encountered exactly what you have. A friend telephoned social services for me. They said they had to visit me in my house. My friend explained I was deaf, and to text me only and not to do a voice call, to arrange a visit, as I couldn't hear to do a voice call.
Finally, months later I got a letter saying as you didn't respond to our telephone calls we assume you don't want our services. This story compounds and gets worse, and when I finally got someone at my house, about a year and a half later, she was exceptionally rude and I encountered pretty much what MrsMC encountered. And I needed to say to the social services lady what I needed. She didn't do an assessment of me and my needs, she wanted me to state precisely the items I needed. But I didn't know what items or services they provided. The interview with her went from bad to worse, and the vulnerability of having an obtuse stranger in my house meant I couldn't fight my corner.

She left and I was in tears. You probably have a good idea of the strength of my feeling about social services here.

We cannot fight these situations when we are vulnerable and in urgent need of help.

I tried to go further with this with the help of my hearing friend, but my initial stumbling block was always my hearing, and the excuse that I didn’t respond to their telephone calls (despite giving them text only/writing/email contact etc).

I gave up.

The only thing I can suggest is try the CAB, but local services are different in different areas, and you may need to use the CAB in MIL’s area.

There are probably other ways through this to get what MIL needs. There must be other organisations that will help you navigate this minefield. But at a time of this vulnerability you cannot be doing this kind of investigation and research. It is so soul destroying and frustrating.

I will hope and send my best wishes that you WILL find a way through this, and you WILL be able to get what your MIL needs.

I had better stop. I have written a long post answer.

Hugs and best wishes for all of you, and the other issues you mentioned as well.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning fellow prick and tell, scan and tell or why test and tellers. Lovely sunrise here best seen from inside with heating on and huge mug of tea. @Krystyna23040 hope the balaclava works and doesn't arouse suspicion of local constabulary. Good on you for walking the dogs. Since our 2 have gone I can't find any motivation to walk - the Nordic walking poles keep looking at me accusingly but I resist.@SaskiaKC sorry to hear of the elevator incident. @johnpol hopefully the exam will turn out better than expected. @Muddy Cyclist sorry tale of MIL's care - can't help thinking the real culprits in that scenario will be strutting around like peacocks on speed come Dec 13th, the Great Bloviator in particular. My fbg was 5.8 this morning - well under 20 gms carb yesterday. LC deals with other things well in my case but 4.5 years is a reasonable trial and I don't feel there is much evidence that it is especially effective for bg control in my case. However, the 1 big salad a day route suits me quite well most of the time supplemented by plenty of tea and occasional hot food just so Julie and I eat the same meal at the same time once in a while.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.8 for me today.
@SaskiaKC good gracious what a scary time you have had while I was sleeping. It was good you managed to get out even if your groceries didnt but glad it ended well and you got them in the end. Hugs and purrs to you and the KC. @johnpol hope you start to feel better and the exam prep is better than you think. Best wishes.
I have a home day today, laundry and lots of it, and will probs make a start on the Christmas cards.
Hope you all have a good Tuesday. Stay/get well, stay safe.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from the quiet room in the dark and dangerous north.

The wheel of wonderment and delight has ran it’s race. It was a short but wonderful life. So, meter reading this morning of 5.8. Another wonder wheel will be activated, Boris Karloff style, once the thunder storm is at it’s zenith.

Afternoon tea yesterday after being imprisoned in a garden centre surrounded by dangerous looking Christmas ornaments, flashing lights and the world supply of fake trees and inflatable deer. I expect that the cheese scone had something to do with reading this morning.

Newcastle today - there is some sort of Christmas market on for, I think, the first time and located around Grey’s Monument (he of the tea fame and The Great Reform Act of 1832). Fenwick’s store to ogle at the window display and lunch in the 1930’s art-deco Tyneside Coffee Rooms above the old Tyneside Cinema. - Well, that’s the plan.

Have a great day if you can, hope your day is a good one.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from the quiet room in the dark and dangerous north.

The wheel of wonderment and delight has ran it’s race. It was a short but wonderful life. So, meter reading this morning of 5.8. Another wonder wheel will be activated, Boris Karloff style, once the thunder storm is at it’s zenith.

Afternoon tea yesterday after being imprisoned in a garden centre surrounded by dangerous looking Christmas ornaments, flashing lights and the world supply of fake trees and inflatable deer. I expect that the cheese scone had something to do with reading this morning.

Newcastle today - there is some sort of Christmas market on for, I think, the first time and located around Grey’s Monument (he of the tea fame and The Great Reform Act of 1832). Fenwick’s store to ogle at the window display and lunch in the 1930’s art-deco Tyneside Coffee Rooms above the old Tyneside Cinema. - Well, that’s the plan.

Have a great day if you can, hope your day is a good one.
Sounds like a great plan for the day and a properly important historical monument for the Christmas Market location. Have a great day. Cambridge doesn't do Christmas Markets but does have a winter wonderland on Parker's Piece - more famous for Jack Hobbs,Ranjit Sinhji and less so me. https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/north-pole-parkers-piece-cambridge-17226530

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
end result NOTHING they can't do anything to help.

Surely that can't be right - the paramedics were right when told Mrs MC that lots could be done to keep MIL safe in her home and that social services would be of great help in giving advice, providing equipment putting up wall handles and such to allow MIL to stay in her own home where she was comfortable and happy.

That's how it should have worked but it looks like the system is broken, and things have gone from bad to worse with your MiLs doctors refusing to do a home visit. Thank goodness she has Mrs MC fighting in her corner.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morning ladies and gentlemen and all who worship at the alter of pre bin day, I must point out in the interests of political correctness that other alters are available, such as my pet alligator can do no wrong and walks on water and it was only a friendly little nip on the postman's leg. I for one or several will be happy when this election is over and out!

A 5.6 awaited me and me's this morning. That meter is planning something, but I know not what.

Well folks my day is planned and one of the many things on Mrs J's list is a beard and hair trim, double yuk. While I am unsupervised a few of HER Christmas ornaments are going to be relocated. Hehehehe.

I have read with despondency the battles a few of you are having on various topics, it makes you focus on how trivial a slightly elevated blood sugar really is. I wish all those struggling a successful resolution.

On a lighter note Mrs J has switched her eating regime to low carb and in 2 months has dropped her weight by 28 pounds or for the metric amongst you approximately 12 1/2 kilogrammes. Lighter note, get it, no I didn't think you did.
I must now go it's my turn to bark at the postman.
Have a great day.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hope the balaclava works and doesn't arose suspicion of local constabulary. Good on you for walking the dogs. Since our 2 have gone I can't find any motivation to walk - the Nordic walking poles keep looking at me accusingly but I resist
The balaclava was brilliant and I was warm and toasty. So far so good - the local constabulary haven't spotted me. You are right about the walking. There is no way on earth that I would have walked this morning if it wasn't for two Labradors looking at me accusingly.

I have Nordic walking poles - they helped my rehab enormously after a white van came out of a side turning and ran me over as I was cycling along the main road 15 years ago.

When my walking improved I did try walking with Nordic Poles and a Labrador. We were in the Lake District at the time. This didn't go well and once Labradors lead and poles were untangled we had to dash to the nearest chemist to get some plasters for my knees.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Muddy Cyclist

I have a few things I would like to respond to in your post. I can't work out how to cut and paste the words as individual quotes and respond. I know @OldButBold explained this to Saskia (and I bookmarked it)but it's too early for my brain to work out, so bear with my long winded way of doing this.

First, as far as I know GP's should still do home visits. They did vote not to, but it's not come in force yet and there was opposition to it.

I looked on CAB site and they say
"
Unless the GP's register is full, or you live too far away for home visits, it is unlikely that the GP will refuse to accept you. However, if the GP does refuse to accept you, then they must have reasonable grounds for doing so. ... The GP must give you the reasons for their decision in writing.
View attachment 37005
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk › ...
NHS patients' rights - Citizens Advice
"

I hope I have done the above right.

You don't want to be fighting stuff like this at a time like this, but this rubbish happens.

I have always found paramedics to be absolutely caring and amazing, and they go above and beyond.

Now, social services....
Where I lived before, I was assessed and I was given all kinds of help, services, and equipment.
Here, where I live in Wales now, I have encountered exactly what you have. A friend telephoned social services for me. They said they had to visit me in my house. My friend explained I was deaf, and to text me only and not to do a voice call, to arrange a visit, as I couldn't hear to do a voice call.
Finally, months later I got a letter saying as you didn't respond to our telephone calls we assume you don't want our services. This story compounds and gets worse, and when I finally got someone at my house, about a year and a half later, she was exceptionally rude and I encountered pretty much what MrsMC encountered. And I needed to say to the social services lady what I needed. She didn't do an assessment of me and my needs, she wanted me to state precisely the items I needed. But I didn't know what items or services they provided. The interview with her went from bad to worse, and the vulnerability of having an obtuse stranger in my house meant I couldn't fight my corner.

She left and I was in tears. You probably have a good idea of the strength of my feeling about social services here.

We cannot fight these situations when we are vulnerable and in urgent need of help.

I tried to go further with this with the help of my hearing friend, but my initial stumbling block was always my hearing, and the excuse that I didn’t respond to their telephone calls (despite giving them text only/writing/email contact etc).

I gave up.

The only thing I can suggest is try the CAB, but local services are different in different areas, and you may need to use the CAB in MIL’s area.

There are probably other ways through this to get what MIL needs. There must be other organisations that will help you navigate this minefield. But at a time of this vulnerability you cannot be doing this kind of investigation and research. It is so soul destroying and frustrating.

I will hope and send my best wishes that you WILL find a way through this, and you WILL be able to get what your MIL needs.

I had better stop. I have written a long post answer.

Hugs and best wishes for all of you, and the other issues you mentioned as well.
Thank you @gennepher I will pass that on to Mrs MC we know Doc should do home visits it's just the attitude at MILs healthcentre Mrs MC will continue fighting this battle. As for social services I think we will give up on them totally and just get on with what we think is best. Your support and care for the information is much appreciated.