What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Sorry for late posting, 7.6 this morning. Still suffering but readings still below the magic 10
What is the expression feed a cold, starve a fever.

Well what a week this is turning out to be, first national bin day, then an election
Some could say two opportunities to get rid of unwanted rubbish.

People died so we could have the choice to vote or not vote..

Have a great day whatevers left of it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Suddenly starting to feel like a human being again. So much better. Just got back from youngest granddaughter’s nativity play. Best yet ( and I’ve seen a lot!) it was staged like a Strictly Come Dancing show. All the characters told their back story ( how they first heard the news and what they did) then did a dance. So there were the People of Nazereth doing a line dance, the shepherds doing a Morris dance, camels doing the Funky Camel, star of Bethlehem doing a disco dance etc. The judges were a kindly donkey, the innkeeper’s wife and Caesar Augustus as a mean hilarious Craig Revel Horwood character.
It’ll probably be the last nativity play I’ll watch as youngest is now 7 and the older classes don’t take part. A good one to finish on.
Edit for typo

Oh I wish you could post a video!

When someone does a sequel to Love Actually they should apply for permission to use this model. :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Suddenly starting to feel like a human being again. So much better. Just got back from youngest granddaughter’s nativity play. Best yet ( and I’ve seen a lot!) it was staged like a Strictly Come Dancing show. All the characters told their back story ( how they first heard the news and what they did) then did a dance. So there were the People of Nazereth doing a line dance, the shepherds doing a Morris dance, camels doing the Funky Camel, star of Bethlehem doing a disco dance etc. The judges were a kindly donkey, the innkeeper’s wife and Caesar Augustus as a mean hilarious Craig Revel Horwood character.
It’ll probably be the last nativity play I’ll watch as youngest is now 7 and the older classes don’t take part. A good one to finish on.
Edit for typo
Good that you are feeling better and the Nativity Play sounds fab yule us as Craig would say. I’m sure it wont be your last! I bought a other Christmas jumper today..its the Penguin one with red sleeves at M&Co. You can never have too many IMO.

Reactions: DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from the eye clinic. My right eye that I had the injections in is absolutely OK and in fact has improved further, so no more treatment at the moment.

The left eye (that last had injections in 2015) has got slightly more oedema than it had last check up so they would like to start injections next week. This will preserve my eyesight in that eye.
So, although not looking forward to the injections, I do want to preserve my eyesight. Hopefully it will stay OK for another 4 years after this round of injections. Fingers crossed.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Edit for typo
So pleased you feel like a human being again. The nativity play sounded brilliant. I remember feeling really sad when I watched the last nativity play my youngest was in. It was like the end of an era.

I agree that the Coffee Lady would be a good forum name for me, or many of us here.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good that you are feeling better and the Nativity Play sounds fab yule us as Craig would say. I’m sure it wont be your last! I bought a other Christmas jumper today..its the Penguin one with red sleeves at M&Co. You can never have too many IMO.

Love the Craig ‘fab Yule us’!
Completely agree about the Christmas jumpers - yours sounds brilliant! You could change your avatar to a photo of you in it.

Reactions: jjraak

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased you feel like a human being again. The nativity play sounded brilliant. I remember feeling really sad when I watched the last nativity play my youngest was in. It was like the end of an era.

I agree that the Coffee Lady would be a good forum name for me, or many of us here.

I’m just glad it ended on a high, but you’re right, it does feel like the end of an era.

Reactions: jjraak

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning All. 6.1 at 07.30, thats what you get after toast heaped with peanut butter for supper. Catching up with yesterday’s posts @dogslife so sorry for the hard times and hope for better times for you. @Muddy Cyclist glad you found something to smile about in your ongoing turmoil. Best wishes to you all. @gennepher poor you that doesnt sound great, stay warm and hydrated. Hugs to you and Popeye. @DJC3 hope you are getting better also @Debandez. @Krystyna23040 I did exactly the same the night before my last eye injection, hope all goes well today. @geefull I like the sound of that Christmas dinner and who can resist stuffing? @OldButBold hope your day improves. @karen8967 good luck with the pump hope it transforms your life.
Phew...sorry if I left anyone out. I dont know how we are all going to face tomorrow when it comes...I would hide in a fridge if I could. PG watch over us all.
Stay/get well,stay safe.
Thank you PM.:)

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Frustrating! I have spent the last 4 days hanging around in a large West Midlands Hospital, killing time people watching in two cafes, waiting areas and corridors by vending machines. The only food suitable for me to eat at any cafe was a gammon ham salad and only one of them, when that had gone that was it, but it did not look appetising.

For something to do I have sat and analysed the eating habits of visitors, nurses, doctors and admin staff, is this something us LCHF diet Type 2s do? I watched Cakes, white bread toasties, pasties, pies, disappear in alarming quantities, whilst the prepared salads do not get purchased and other than the gammon salad all the others involved pasta, cuscus, rice or potatoes.

Then hopefully without being judgmental, remember I was over 100 Kilo a few months back and would have eat such things, I started looking at the weight of people. Over 80% of female nursing staff would be obese and more than 50% of these grossly obese, male staff figured better. Male visitors were about 50% obese and whilst there were more obese female visitors they were less obese than nursing staff.
You can see I have been extremely bored and yes this was not a very scientific study, purely observation, but it is certainly food for thought, pardon the pun, could there be a relationship between the food available in the hospital cafes and the shape of hospital staff?

I shall send an email pointing out the lack of suitable food available for Type 2s on a LCHF diet at this hospital, it will be polite but to the point.

On the MIL front it's a nightmare, she was 93 Tuesday. A scan shows MIL has a bleed on the brain probably from a fall she had two weeks back when Paramedics came and treated her at home. Sadly she's been unresponsive since Saturday and palliative care was offered as from yesterday, with MILs sever Alzheimer's and the unknown effects of the brain bleed this seems the kindest course of action. Today she is back on a glucose and saline drip, still unresponsive but much stronger. Consultant says she will not be put on palliative care until they assess her on Thursday. This is where it gets difficult and worrying, we want the best outcome for MIL and understand the consultants Duty of Care but in our minds rightly or wrongly questions are formed.

A. Would it be kinder for an old lady already living a confused and often unhappy life, who if she recovers will have an unknown mental health and physical state be allowed to go and meet he maker with dignity and peacefulness.
Or
B. Should all the medical help available be given to bring her back to responsiveness which will undoubtably leave her in a much worse mental state and the need for moving into a nursing home out of the comfort of her own bungalow where she lived before hospitalisation?

As a society we are still not very good with this end of life stuff and many families go through this turmoil day after day, no easy answers.
So sorry to hear about your MIL. Difficult time for you and the family with some serious decisions to be made. I certainly dont envy you. Thinking of you.

You could have been talking about my local hospital, any for that matter. All filled with overweight medical staff (drs not so much, more nurses and HCPs I find). Nothing suitable to eat. All rubbish. Vending machines in hospitals really should advocate healthy eating. Will they ever. I certainly hope so.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it is what us Type 2's do. Especially in hospitals we analyse the eating habits of others. I do.

I am literally going OMG OMG, and actually feeling ill watching all those carbs being consumed. As you say the cafe area is not much better in the food that is served (at least not where I have been in hospitals). A predominance of white bread, pasties, pies, and sweet stuff etc. And a cabinet of the worst sugary soft drinks (despite a notice on the counter saying something about sugar in these drinks being bad for you.) Absolutely nothing for a diabetic.
Nothing that I can massacre to get the suitable bits out that I can eat. There is not enough filling in a sandwich just to take that out.

I do always carry nuts, pork scratchings, bar 100% dark chocolate in my backpack, and a babybel or two on the day if I remember to grab them from the fridge as I am going out. And a bottle of water.

I am analysing the eating habits of all, patient's waiting eating their crisps and packs of sandwiches, and including the nurses with their packed lunches in their clear containers of so called 'healthy' food as they are going for their food break.
It's a very sorry state of affairs

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC I want to know if Larry the Downing Street cat (Chief Mouser to the Treasury, to give him his proper title) is ok or has left home!

I have not heard of the Chief Mouser to the Treasury, aka Larry. Can you arrange an introduction? I did once write a story about a Downing Street cat, about 22 years ago ... ^. .^

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear that you are on the mend. Appetite back is a really good sign.
Thank you so much. Today I'm even better. A few coughs here and there, can count on one hand. Best day yet. Eating. More chocolate than I should but sod it im putting that lost weight back on asap. Its lc choc so happy days. I expect fbs to be up non the less but dont care :)