What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SaskiaKC
I have used Scotchgard many years ago with some suede boots, just because the shoe shop sold it me at the time!

WD-40?!?!
As a waterproof spray? That is a new one on me.

Ah Duck's Back. I like that name!

Good luck on whatever you choose!

View attachment 37367
View attachment 37368
View attachment 37369

Thanks. :)

I like the name Duck's Back too. I think I will wait 'til after Christmas and see what's on sale then. I actually missed out on the non-waterproof suede leather boots that were on sale -- the website said "Few Left" when I first saw them, and later "Out Of Stock."
That's OK. I could probably waterproof my paddock boots and wear them on the few occasions I need waterproof footwear, but they're several years old now, and have zippers, and even though I can soap the zippers to keep them moving, zippers can be prone to break just when you need them to work.

06-08-2015.jpg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @gennepher. I was wondering what brand of waterproofing spray y'all used. There is a good brand here called Scotchgard. I haven't used their spray but I have used some of their other products. I've also just read that WD-40 spray works.

I just found Duck's Back! :)

dback.jpg

I just found this site @SaskiaKC
A pile of uses for WD-40
Including waterproofing boots and shoes...34 ways to use WD40

https://www.familyhandyman.com/smart-homeowner/20-brilliant-ways-to-use-wd-40/

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd also check bikers sites n forum reviews.
@SaskiaKC
Many if us need to reproof the wet gear to keep the waterproofing good.

Not used myself, but if I get time ( and you remind me ;)) I'll go look for the brand most popular x

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do any of you have any tips about shoes for walking in wet weather? I've had wellies (waterproof but not warm), insulated lace-up boots (warm but not very comfortable), and good old-fashioned overshoes/gumshoes/rubbers/galoshes that don't seem available anymore (at least not here). So now I'm thinking duck shoes (warm but won't keep any snow out)

61dJCRUQC9L._AC_UY695_.jpg

or hiking boots (never owned any but they look sort of like my paddock boots)

9505A242-HERO
I have Muck Wellington boots for when it is really wet. So does Mrs Miggins. Neoprene lined, cosy warm. Normal day to day, especially at this time of year I wear walking boots made by Keen - comfortable, warm and dry.
A good pair of lightweight, waterproof boots might do the trick but when it’s really wet nothing keeps out the rain like a good pair of Wellies and the Muck ones are the best brand that I have had.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Heavy rain banging on the roof windows in the kitchen - and on the radio, songs about snow - and on the TV a very good rendering of A Christmas Carol, played out over three nights.

The wonder wheel of a reasonable nights sleep and wondering where that Christmas tablecloth is hiding punched in at a 4.0 this am.

Tis the season of “can we borrow some chairs”, and buying clementines with bits of twig and leaves still clinging to them, huddled together in small, badly made trugs. Do we make our own mulled wine or shall we just buy it ready made? Rumour has it that you can get it from the pound shop - doubles up as waterproofing for both footwear and clothing (terms and conditions apply).

Have a great day if you can, phone that person and wish them well.

Koffy
upload_2019-12-24_6-7-42.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks again. That is amazing. I'm gonna go buy a can of WD-40! :)

I first used WD-40 for pram wheels, a lifetime ago @SaskiaKC Then in the engine of my first car, an ancient Citroen 2CV to get it started (a mechanic showed me where to spray).

I have always had several cans of the stuff! It is always useful for something! I just made up my own uses for it. It was pre internet days, pre easy access of information days.

So I have also used it for stuff mentioned on that site.

I don't think it mentions painting on that site. By painting I mean artist type painting. I use WD40 for painting pours in order to create cells and painting effects, but I get a different WD-40 for that. Some WD-40 has silicone in it, and that is what creates my painting effects when I do painting pours with acrylic paints.

I love my WD-40!!!!!!!!!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have Muck Wellington boots for when it is really wet. So does Mrs Miggins. Neoprene lined, cost warm. Normal day to day, especially at this time of year I wear walking boots made by Keen - comfortable, warm and dry.
A good pair of lightweight, waterproof boots might do the trick but when it’s really wet nothing keeps out the rain like a good pair of Wellies and the Muck ones are the best brand that I have had.

Thank you for the Muck recommendation ... Oops, oh you know what I mean! I will Google Muck Wellies when I wake up, and then see if the dollar store carries mulled wine, just in case, for back-up waterproofing. :D

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 7.5

At last it is going down after my Xmas eating meals parties of over a week ago!

Xmas eating is over (forever) for me . It took me a long time to get this blood sugar readings down this time. The day time readings had been higher too, just because of a few days of starchy veg (and there wasn't a lot I ate of it), and some Xmas pud (again not a lot I ate of it), but it upset this blood sugar lark in my body. And it has taken me over a week to get it down again.

Now I am looking forward to getting these readings back into 6's again. And maybe an occasional 5!!!

Onwards and.... downwards!

Happy Crimble!!!

Take care

>^••^<

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I first used WD-40 for pram wheels, a lifetime ago @SaskiaKC Then in the engine of my first car, an ancient Citroen 2CV to get it started (a mechanic showed me where to spray).

I have always had several cans of the stuff! It is always useful for something! I just made up my own uses for it. It was pre internet days, pre easy access of information days.

I don't think it mentions painting on that site. By painting I mean artist type painting. I use WD40 for painting pours in order to create cells and painting effects, but I get a different WD-40 for that. Some WD-40 has silicone in it, and that is what creates my painting effects when I do painting pours with acrylic paints.

I recently read a novel about a woman who drove a 2CV.
I have been using Vaseline to oil squeaky hinges recently.

Good night-morning, everyone. Happy Christmas Eve! :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and a 5.3 today.

Off for a Christmas Eve Breakfast with our son and daughter and grandchildren, a family tradition reaches out into extended family and their partners family so we take over much of the local Table Table establishment.

Still not quiet ready for Christmas but too late now as off to sons tonight for a Christmas Eve sleep in our VW camper, now that's a first in 70 years.

Enjoy Christmas Eve everyone. Hope you all have your reindeer carrots and Santa mince pies ready.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I loved my 2CV - it was more like sailing a boat than driving - loved the way it tacked round corners with those funny front wheels. We did, on occasion, remove all the seats when having a picnic.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. I truly hope this doesn't find you as it leaves me. One 5.7 showed on the meter along with an Err 4 and some extraordinary numbers which I, atm, am far more inclined to believe. 5 th Christmas eating this way, testing and reading around this site and diabetes control in general. Has become a giant poo sandwich especially allied to gout avoidance. The @Muddy Cyclist reset route looks like a good plan. Observe the secular/pagan eat 'n swill mid winter feast then reboot. @dunelm I am now looking forward to that version of A Christmas Carol. @jjraak have a great holiday. @SaskiaKC you and the KC have a peaceful Christmas. Everyone else have a great Christmas - traditionally I always enjoyed Christmas Eve best. I am leaving the reservation for a while and may even take a little alcohol - poo sandwiches have lost their appeal. Gammon on rye sourdough is far more my style. Gail's bakery needs my patronage. Despite all that, Psalm 45 is where the truth lies and these issues are just so much tchotchke. Toodle Pip.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967