What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! The procedure went really well and hardly any pain or discomfort afterwards. When is your appointment?
Thats good to hear. My first one is Wed 29 May so about 10 days time. I just want to get on and start the treatment. Would you advise keeping the diary clear and taking it easy for a couple of days after?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 for me this morning.
I’ve been sitting in bed with a pot of coffee beside me reading a book called Daisy’s Gift by the lady who set up Medical Detection Dogs. It’s wonderful what she has done - she figured out that dogs can detect many diseases including cancer and diabetes hypo and hypers. It really pulls at your heartstrings learning what these amazing animals can do.
@Bubbsie that’s a great film. It really was appalling the way Turing was treated, the work they all did was incredible, I’m fascinated by the Bletchley secrets and would love to visit.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 great number to start the day. 5.7 here - later than yesterday - but over 5.5 so all the analysing and exercising didn't do the job. Perhaps no amount of lifestyle changes or good diet will undo whatever nature/nurture or both have wrought. Having said I wouldn't force feed myself like a foie gras bird I am having CWC - trying to deal with bg levels makes a guy do bizarre things. Have a great Sunday.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 great number to start the day. 5.7 here - later than yesterday - but over 5.5 so all the analysing and exercising didn't do the job. Perhaps no amount of lifestyle changes or good diet will undo whatever nature/nurture or both have wrought. Having said I wouldn't force feed myself like a foie gras bird I am having CWC - trying to deal with bg levels makes a guy do bizarre things. Have a great Sunday.

We’ve swapped - yesterday we were the other way round! It really does seem to be a game of roulette.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

5.7 is perfectly nice number to wake up to.... i am hoping to be there some time soon.... great Sunday

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all :)

4.8 this morning
actually that's an average of two tests, one I did in the very early hours when I staggered out of bed to get a drink of water which was 5.0 and the 4.6 when I actually 'got up', I tested again because I realised I'd been half asleep earlier and hadn't washed my hands :sorry: still they're both 'fasting' tests I suppose :D

I'm creaking a bit after our trip yesterday, four and a half hours drive each way to mr. gee's cousin's funeral which was scheduled for 10.15am. Would have liked to take a proper break in transit but the torrential rain made it impossible to get a decent walk.
When you don't see some extended family very often it's always a shock to see how much older everyone looks, (but they probably think the same about us :hilarious:)

It's looking brighter here this morning so hopefully I'll get a bit of garden tidying done here before we go over to mum's and then a walk with her dog later. Both of which will be therapeutic ;)

@ianpspurs I concur about trying the 'grazing' I know that it's supposed to be 'bad' but I do it rather than having 3 discrete meal times because my body doesn't appreciate being hungry now that I don't have the huge buffer of fat I used to carry about with me. I have one or two 'meals' and then 'snacks' when I feel the need. Feels more natural to me now :) I also mostly just test my fasting bg in a morning, if I'm unsure of the effect of a new recipe and very occasionally as a cross check on an existing recipe. I'm definitely a bit too 'detail orientated' if I'm not careful :D so I'm pleased I'm managing to keep testing down to that level now.

Hope your day is treating you all kindly :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all :)

4.8 this morning
actually that's an average of two tests, one I did in the very early hours when I staggered out of bed to get a drink of water which was 5.0 and the 4.6 when I actually 'got up', I tested again because I realised I'd been half asleep earlier and hadn't washed my hands :sorry: still they're both 'fasting' tests I suppose :D

I'm creaking a bit after our trip yesterday, four and a half hours drive each way to mr. gee's cousin's funeral which was scheduled for 10.15am. Would have liked to take a proper break in transit but the torrential rain made it impossible to get a decent walk.
When you don't see some extended family very often it's always a shock to see how much older everyone looks, (but they probably think the same about us :hilarious:)

It's looking brighter here this morning so hopefully I'll get a bit of garden tidying done here before we go over to mum's and then a walk with her dog later. Both of which will be therapeutic ;)

@ianpspurs I concur about trying the 'grazing' I know that it's supposed to be 'bad' but I do it rather than having 3 discrete meal times because my body doesn't appreciate being hungry now that I don't have the huge buffer of fat I used to carry about with me. I have one or two 'meals' and then 'snacks' when I feel the need. Feels more natural to me now :) I also mostly just test my fasting bg in a morning, if I'm unsure of the effect of a new recipe and very occasionally as a cross check on an existing recipe. I'm definitely a bit too 'detail orientated' if I'm not careful :D so I'm pleased I'm managing to keep testing down to that level now.

Hope your day is treating you all kindly :)
That could possibly be the most useful/practical post I have ever read on here - no offence to anyone else and obviously huge dollop of confirmation bias. No animal in the wild has meal times and as my dad always said, "you don't see a pig at Addenbrookes". Thank you so much, especially as anyone can see from your numbers you know that of which you write. As regards extended family members, big gatherings do now tend to be funerals rather than weddings and it is frightening how much cousins start to look like their parents.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 this morning. Am relaxing with a Nespresso, washing done and hanging up outside then shortly off for a walk around the water gardens. Hoping to see the kingfishers from the hide. Then off to Sunday lunch at a lovely pub.
Just got back from a walk with 'Plumpy' Krystyna...we almost had the park to ourselves a lovely light breeze & the mist was sweeping over the grass....enjoy your lunch

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.9 for me this morning.
I’ve been sitting in bed with a pot of coffee beside me reading a book called Daisy’s Gift by the lady who set up Medical Detection Dogs. It’s wonderful what she has done - she figured out that dogs can detect many diseases including cancer and diabetes hypo and hypers. It really pulls at your heartstrings learning what these amazing animals can do.

Claire Guest was involved in training my first Hearing Dog for the Deaf with Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, in the early 1990's. She initially came to my house every day for a week to to check I was working properly with Truffle.

She was very excited then about the cancer detection dogs were capable of, and other things. We had very interesting conversations.

>^..^<

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and grass grazers, quick question. Why did you not trim my lawns while I was away?

An extremely naughty 8.4 escaped from my meter, blew a raspberry and swore at me.

Well today folks my sat nag is going to get a going over, after I use it to give directions as which way to mow my lawn.
If you see a news report about an obese, very hairy, angry Welshman is seen pushing a lawn mower down the M4, pretend you don't me.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats good to hear. My first one is Wed 29 May so about 10 days time. I just want to get on and start the treatment. Would you advise keeping the diary clear and taking it easy for a couple of days after?
Sounds like a sensible idea. Sometimes, Mr B has bounced back very quickly and had very little discomfort. But we have had a couple of times where it has taken him a few days. Things have been much better since we realised he had become over sensitive to the iodine they use. They now use something else and his eyes are less sore and irritated afterwards. They'll give you advice about looking after your eyes afterwards, but if they give you drops definitely use them. The iodine can make your eyes very dry, which in turn can make your vision more blurry. Oh, and he usually takes a couple of ibuprofen straight afterwards, which seems to help. I'm sure you'll be fine. If you have any questions either before or afterwards, just give me a shout. I'm not posting everyday at the mo, but do check the forum regularly. xx

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a sensible idea. Sometimes, Mr B has bounced back very quickly and had very little discomfort. But we have had a couple of times where it has taken him a few days. Things have been much better since we realised he had become over sensitive to the iodine they use. They now use something else and his eyes are less sore and irritated afterwards. They'll give you advice about looking after your eyes afterwards, but if they give you drops definitely use them. The iodine can make your eyes very dry, which in turn can make your vision more blurry. Oh, and he usually takes a couple of ibuprofen straight afterwards, which seems to help. I'm sure you'll be fine. If you have any questions either before or afterwards, just give me a shout. I'm not posting everyday at the mo, but do check the forum regularly. xx
Thanks so much for that very helpful info and I am sure I will get back to you with questions once I get going.