What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @ianpspurs. I am so pleased that I posted my thoughts here as I think that I would have problems without a good plan of action.

Last night Mr K had an ice cream. The thought went through my head - you deserve a naughty treat as it was a really hard day of teaching today. Luckily the plan of action leapt to the rescue and I had some peanuts instead.
1714298377171.gif

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning all. It seems ages since I posted but have been following you all daily. :) My latest fbs was 8.5. On Friday I received a letter addressed in large print with mum's name (via myself) which was a bit of a shock. It was from the council informing us that as of 8th April mum's financial contribution to her care at the nursing home had increased. After many unsuccessful attempts to call them I sent an email saying that mum had passed away on Feb. 8th, that I had registered her death with them in person the following day and that her nursing home bill had been paid up to the date she passed. It will be interesting to see their reply if indeed I receive one. At the moment I am awaiting an appointment at one hospital department and advice from two others due to several abnormal test results but I am still here! :happy: We are expecting a visit from my cousin and her friend from the USA at the end of next month for a couple of weeks so preparations for that have kept us occupied since mum's funeral which is probably a good thing. I am still doing my one hour, 2+ mile walks twice a week with the walking group I joined in the winter which is also a good thing. That's all from me for now. Best wishes to you all.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had it all arranged to go out today - had my pot of soup to take with me, defrosted in the fridge but it's not going to happen. Felt awful last night(shivering even though I had plenty covering me) and in terrible pain (didn't think I'd be able to bear it, but what needs must) and during the night had to use my alarm to get help from Neil. Just couldn't move at all - no muscle power. Been sat in the big chair since 06.00 (eventually managed to get myself up from my bed) with a couple of 1/2 litre bottles of water for company. Now have painful hips and backside from sitting immoblie for too long. Pain killers didn't work but I am about to take more to see if I can knock it on the head. "Ah ha'e ma doobts" though. It's awkward because the worst parts are my left hand and wrist, my back and both feet. Kind of immobilising. There is some improvement though, because I've managed to crab my way from the chair to the bathroom (essential) and back to my desk, which is where I am now. Oh but it hurts!

BG was 10.9 at 06.00. May be related, I don't know. Had to be the weekend when there's nobody at the health centre until Tuesday. Too sore sitting here so will need to get back to the big chair for a bit.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I had it all arranged to go out today - had my pot of soup to take with me, defrosted in the fridge but it's not going to happen. Felt awful last night(shivering even though I had plenty covering me) and in terrible pain (didn't think I'd be able to bear it, but what needs must) and during the night had to use my alarm to get help from Neil. Just couldn't move at all - no muscle power. Been sat in the big chair since 06.00 (eventually managed to get myself up from my bed) with a couple of 1/2 litre bottles of water for company. Now have painful hips and backside from sitting immoblie for too long. Pain killers didn't work but I am about to take more to see if I can knock it on the head. "Ah ha'e ma doobts" though. It's awkward because the worst parts are my left hand and wrist, my back and both feet. Kind of immobilising. There is some improvement though, because I've managed to crab my way from the chair to the bathroom (essential) and back to my desk, which is where I am now. Oh but it hurts!

BG was 10.9 at 06.00. May be related, I don't know. Had to be the weekend when there's nobody at the health centre until Tuesday. Too sore sitting here so will need to get back to the big chair for a bit.
So sorry to hear that you are in so much pain@Annb. Would a heat pad or similar help at least a little? Or maybe an electric blanket in your bed to help relax your muscles? I hope you soon have some relief. I know how debilitating pain can be! Take care.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I too need a few plans of actions token me on the straight and narrow @Krystyna23040
I was actually surprised how well it did work @gennepher. I think that maybe one of the reasons it does work for me is that I restrict my low carb treats because too many pecans, peanuts, peanut butter or Montazumas 100% or even Greek Yoghurt would cause me to put on weight so they are actually slightly on the naughty list.

So when I have them as a low carb treat it satisfies my need to be a little bit naughty and I don't feel that l am missing out.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to hear that you are in so much pain@Annb. Would a heat pad or similar help at least a little? Or maybe an electric blanket in your bed to help relax your muscles? I hope you soon have some relief. I know how debilitating pain can be! Take care.
I can usually cope with pain with reasonable humour, but this took me by surprise. Not funny! But never mind, I'll bounce back, I always do.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh no @Annb I do hope you get some relief from the pain killers.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
6.8 again!
Getting this done before the grandkids get here.
Not much to say so saying nowt!

I'm sure I read something somewhere about, why peanuts aren't low carb. I will investigate when time.

OMG!
It's cold, dry and sunny.
Rain later, but that wind is absolutely baltic.
Still only in low single figures at noon. Frost overnight.
Tried to do some tidying in garden, but the cold won!
Just don't understand this weather.
It's may in a couple of days.
Not started spring warmth yet!
Bonkers!
Thought the world is warming up.
Not round here.
Eskimos have moved in, saying it's colder here than Greenland or Iceland! (No, not the supermarket!)

Have your best day.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems Adrian's shopping trip in Ireland went well he bought a small herd of Dexter cows for the Ards friary they are an Irish bread and though are found in various countries they are, in Ireland ; on the at risk/critical list.
Smashing. My mother had Dexters, lovely little things. She had a herd of Anglo Nubian goats, a few pigs and sheep, ducks, chickens, two Cobs and a border collie called Tel.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

What an awful time. I hope that tonight is better for you.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Late afternoon early evening all

Blood sugars this Morening were 6.6

Hopefully attached is a photo taken today ov the child's play mud / sand sink kitchen that me, me’s and myself are constructing. The wood is all primed and some gloss is applied. This is very much work in progress.
Mrs J has started another painting, don’t hold your breath.

Stay safe all.
IMG_0234.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I hope you have a much better night tonight @Annb xx

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.8 again!
Getting this done before the grandkids get here.
Not much to say so saying nowt!

I'm sure I read something somewhere about, why peanuts aren't low carb. I will investigate when time.

OMG!
It's cold, dry and sunny.
Rain later, but that wind is absolutely baltic.
Still only in low single figures at noon. Frost overnight.
Tried to do some tidying in garden, but the cold won!
Just don't understand this weather.
It's may in a couple of days.
Not started spring warmth yet!
Bonkers!
Thought the world is warming up.
Not round here.
Eskimos have moved in, saying it's colder here than Greenland or Iceland! (No, not the supermarket!)

Have your best day.
Oh no @Lamont D - I do hope peanut butter is OK on a low carb diet

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh no @Lamont D - I do hope peanut butter is OK on a low carb diet
According to nutritional information I grasped through ignoring calories of course.
peanuts at 5% carbs, peanut butter is 6% carbs per 100g.

So obviously low carb. Cos no one can eat 100g of peanuts or peanut butter, can they?

I do like the odd peanut, however peanut butter is gross!
Right?
Am I right of what?My

Anything with butter in is minging!
Yeah?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Peanuts are not nuts but legumes (like cashews), so not as low carb as other nuts. Still...in moderation. I like peanuts and cashew, especially roasted but not all that fond of the butter which is very cloying. Neil loves it though and goes through loads of it. Has to have the very expensive ones, unadulterated with other things, of course!

Legs still not really working and anything is making my back sore - even sitting here at my desk. Left hand is working a bit better, but can't put any pressure on it Been in my big chair all day but got Neil to heat up some lamb tagine for me - and was promptly sick. Still very wary of even sips of water, which is the only other thing I could take all day. Not hungry though. Tum is feeling pretty rebellious.

Time for bed. Night all.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to nutritional information I grasped through ignoring calories of course.
peanuts at 5% carbs, peanut butter is 6% carbs per 100g.

So obviously low carb. Cos no one can eat 100g of peanuts or peanut butter, can they?

I do like the odd peanut, however peanut butter is gross!
Right?
Am I right of what?My

Anything with butter in is minging!
Yeah?
Thank you @Lamont D . Good to know that it is low carb.

Mr K also absolutely hates peanut butter.

I do agree that no-one could possibly eat 100g of peanuts or peanut butter. Even one teaspoon of peanut butter is very filling.

The peanut butter I love is made from roasted peanuts with nothing added - especially not palm oil It has to be crunchy peanut butter because I don't like the texture of the smooth version.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Peanuts are not nuts but legumes (like cashews), so not as low carb as other nuts. Still...in moderation. I like peanuts and cashew, especially roasted but not all that fond of the butter which is very cloying. Neil loves it though and goes through loads of it. Has to have the very expensive ones, unadulterated with other things, of course!

Legs still not really working and anything is making my back sore - even sitting here at my desk. Left hand is working a bit better, but can't put any pressure on it Been in my big chair all day but got Neil to heat up some lamb tagine for me - and was promptly sick. Still very wary of even sips of water, which is the only other thing I could take all day. Not hungry though. Tum is feeling pretty rebellious.

Time for bed. Night all.
I do hope you feel a lot better in the morning @Annb

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On our trip to our little market town we also went into QD. As we entered the shop the staff were gently coaxing two ducks out of the shop by laying a trail of bird food.

Apparently they often visit the shop and have to be tempted out with bird food. They obviously have realised that they are on to a good thing there.