What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The family weekend sounds wonderful so I hope the weather holds and you all have a splendid time. Thank you for sharing your art. Enjoy the Koffy. Cinnamon? I sprinkle about a tsp on my daily coffee - true or Ceylon which is apparently best. This suggests it is good for one although bearing in mind my situation I wouldn't take any health advice form me. But who knows? I'm all in for any marginal gains.
Thanks @ianpspurs - all good so far and not a drop of rain in sight.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The walk sounds interesting....
Art bit I like very much. You are developing lots of styles at the moment @dunelm

Cinnamon.
What I read and watched on YouTube, it was said it should be Ceylon cinnamon.
I ordered some tablets, and some cinnamon sticks, a couple of different suppliers.
Only a couple of weeks ago, i did this.
Kept forgetting to take the tablets, so used the cinnamon sticks instead. Put them in hot water for a bedtime drink.
Immediate effect in relaxation, and helped sleep. Did they aid or reduce my blood sugars, I am afraid I have no idea?
I am highly stressed at the moment, and the Ceylon cinnamon sticks in hot water is helping my stress levels.

What were your ideas for cinnamon? If you don't mind me asking...
Thank you @gennepher - I think that for me, this is the year for experimenting with art and having fun after so long working to the dictates of traditional Chinese art. I may go back to it but I was getting a bit bored and therefore stale. I probably need to revert to the Four Gentlemen to calm my mind. Cinnamon - I have the Ceylon one as it has been reported to have less of whatever the nasty stuff is in it - can’t remember. I have a teaspoon each morning stirred into a bit of kefir - no idea if it works but recently found that the experimental dose rate in a recent small trial that indicated better blood sugar control was 4g (about 2 tsp) so will up it to that and see if there is any marginal gain. I forget things though so I had better write that down and stick it in the cupboard of exotic things in the corner of the kitchen.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from a dry and temperate L.A. where the locals have suddenly become Tractor Boys fans. @gennepher thank you for two stunning creatives based on Cherry Trees. We had a flowering cherry "back home" and I helped dad renovate, then lived in, a house called Cherry Villa. @Krystyna23040 another gold star for Mr K. @Annb I hope this course of antibiotics finally works for you. Enjoy your Saturday and long weekend if at all possible.
Yes @ianpspurs - Mr K definitely deserves a gold star today.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @gennepher - I think that for me, this is the year for experimenting with art and having fun after so long working to the dictates of traditional Chinese art. I may go back to it but I was getting a bit bored and therefore stale. I probably need to revert to the Four Gentlemen to calm my mind. Cinnamon - I have the Ceylon one as it has been reported to have less of whatever the nasty stuff is in it - can’t remember. I have a teaspoon each morning stirred into a bit of kefir - no idea if it works but recently found that the experimental dose rate in a recent small trial that indicated better blood sugar control was 4g (about 2 tsp) so will up it to that and see if there is any marginal gain. I forget things though so I had better write that down and stick it in the cupboard of exotic things in the corner of the kitchen.
Thanks very much for that information @dunelm

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Saturday, FBG 4.3 mmol/L on waking at 6.00 am.

We were treated to the antics of four fox cubs in our garden this evening.

In previous years, I have sometimes heard their high jinks at night, but we've not caught so much as a gltmpse of them in broad daylight before.
Their fur is still dark greyish-brown, so I reckon they're about 6 weeks old. There was no sign of mum.

I so enjoy the wildlife videos @gennepher

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Starting the new antibiotics this morning - ones I haven't seen before but only a week's course. I'm beginning to think these short term treatments are just allowing whatever the bugs in my system are to get used to the attack and rally their forces again for next time. I believe there may be longer term treatments available but how to access them, I have no idea. Can't help thinking that allowing bacteria or viruses to get used to dealing with current treatments is dangerous for the future. Maybe we are handed out antibiotics too easily and should be strong enough for our immune systems to deal with these things ourselves - also a dangerous idea, I know.

EDIT: unless we have an immune system that is compromised for one reason or another, of course.
At one time @Annb doctors stressed the importance of finishing a course of antibiotics even when symptoms had subsided. These days they're more concerned about overprescribing; that being one of the chief drivers of antimicrobial resistance around the world. That'll be the reason you were prescribed just 7 days treatment.

Presumably, you provided your GP with samples. Fingers crossed this new antibiotic together with that ghastly cherry flavoured medicine will help you to fight off the bugs.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Saturday, FBG 4.3 mmol/L on waking at 6.00 am.

We were treated to the antics of four fox cubs in our garden this evening.

In previous years, I have sometimes heard their high jinks at night, but we've not caught so much as a gltmpse of them in broad daylight before.
Their fur is still dark greyish-brown, so I reckon they're about 6 weeks old. There was no sign of mum.

I so enjoy the wildlife videos @gennepher
Thank you @LivingLightly
It is very nice when you can actually see them in person!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on another nondescript start to the day here in the dark and dangerous north. 5.3 this am. Busy yesterday. Grandchildren and I walked into town, picked garlic, swings and slides, down the cliff steps and met the walkers half way round the family weekend walk. We joined the group and my end day fitbit read 8.4 miles so well done the grandchildren. Smashing BBQ thanks to our daughter and her husband with help from The Girl In The Bubble. Today is another family meet up this morning but not so many - museum and walled garden. The grandchildren will probably end up down by the pier this afternoon, pointing out different flavours of ice cream. Art bit - I remember the scorched hillsides from forest fires when on a motorcycle trip round Portugal. I think that it may be Sunday today but I shall treat it just the same as any other and name it Cordelia. Hope your day is a good one. I have to make more koffy and join the twins with their colouring books.

Attachments

• IMG_6184.jpeg
    IMG_6184.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 27

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
9.7 at 03.30. A bit higher than I had expected but at least I know why. Normally I wouldn't eat anything before going to bed but last night - extreme tiredness sent me to bed just after 22.00 but that was the time for taking my 2nd antibio pill of the day and it has to be taken with food. I decided on a glass of milk - partly to be sure to have my day's quota of fluid and partly to give my stomach to protect it from the pill's effects. Libre woke me up at 24.10 with a too high warning. Took a small dose of insulin to bring it down a bit, but obviously not enough to make it drop too far (not far enough as it happens). Must plan better for that 2nd antibio of the day.

Shattered today, of course, after the exertions of yesterday. Can't figure out why my muscles give up so easily. Bone idle!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Slept late.
FBG 8.55am a surprising 4.5
Yesterday MrSlim strimmed and then mowed a path around the attached half acre we call the Paddock. With all the rain, and the John Deere needing a new head gasket , it has been impossible to cut with the other mower and had grown to about knee high. Kiki did not like to venture in there. Too wet. So evening walks had been few and far between. Up the road and back again is nowhere near as much fun for either of us.
Enjoyable circuit around the Paddock for both of us. For me a gentle stroll. Mustn't go too fast or Kiki loses interest. For Kiki a series of dashes from behind to get ahead, punctuated by pauses to sniff at something interesting. As usual up and then down a tree. Great exercise for her. Not really exercise for me, but probably healthier than sitting.
Watched Britain's Got Talent. Not a lot of it about. Entries from Italy, Khazakstan and Canada. Where is the British talent? However one act had me absolutely howling with laughter. Much to MrSlims bemusement, as he didn't find it at all amusing. Not an act of talent though. And probably only really funny once. It wont have a surprise on a second viewing.
I wonder if the five or may be ten minutes of uncontrolled laughter had anything to do with my unusually low FBG this morning?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from a sunny although not especially warm L.A. @dunelm yesterday sounds wonderful if possibly tiring but good for the fbg so all round winner. Thank you for sharing the art. @Annb hug for the tiredness but winner for the unexpected trip and bargains. @Krystyna23040 enjoy Sheringham Park and the rhododendrons. There are some wonderful ones around Sandringham and towards Sunny Hunny. @SlimLizzy I'm pretty sure the laughter helped with fbg. Have as wonderful a Sunday as possible.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Last autumn I saved seeds from quince. As instructed by utube, washed dried and then froze them for months. Then in fridge for another month or two. Lastly planted in pot in greenhouse. No received wisdom as to planting depth so some varied from deep to shallow. Yesterday thrilled to see a seedling emerge. today it is obvious the greenhouse mouse has struck again. Very disappointed. Now moved pot to upper shelf and hoping for another seedling. The mouse has already eaten all the apricot pips I planted.

Attachments

• 20240505_120026.jpg
    20240505_120026.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone on another nondescript start to the day here in the dark and dangerous north. 5.3 this am. Busy yesterday. Grandchildren and I walked into town, picked garlic, swings and slides, down the cliff steps and met the walkers half way round the family weekend walk. We joined the group and my end day fitbit read 8.4 miles so well done the grandchildren. Smashing BBQ thanks to our daughter and her husband with help from The Girl In The Bubble. Today is another family meet up this morning but not so many - museum and walled garden. The grandchildren will probably end up down by the pier this afternoon, pointing out different flavours of ice cream. Art bit - I remember the scorched hillsides from forest fires when on a motorcycle trip round Portugal. I think that it may be Sunday today but I shall treat it just the same as any other and name it Cordelia. Hope your day is a good one. I have to make more koffy and join the twins with their colouring books.
Love the art bit @dunelm

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.9

Nighttime wildlife in my garden
Two badgers
25 secs

Creative...I forgot I had made the pen nib narrower, so I was all over the place trying to draw this one line people squiggle. Oh well...

The sun is out.
The sky is misty blue.
And I am ready for a nap...
A cuppa first..

Have your best kind of day...

IMG_7247.jpeg

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stunning painting @dunelm

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sheringham Park was lovely. The sun shining through the trees made the place feel almost magical. There is something about walking through trees that makes me feel really good and re-energised.

I forgot to take my low carb treat with me of Montazumas and pecans to have with my coffee. I really needed it after the 3 mile walk deep into the woodland. Our route was so hilly and really hard work.

But I was really good and didn't eat any naughty treats in the cafe.

Last edited: